1 of 2
mako wide reviews
Posted: 31 January 2008 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2007-08-07

where are the mako wide reviews? hoping to see some feedback from riders who are not OR ‘pimps’. especially comparisons with the well known light wind boards like the Glide
OR you could send me one and i’ll post honest reviews on all the forums! :D

Posted: 01 February 2008 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2006-02-23

Posted: 08 February 2008 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1246
Joined  2006-01-10

Paul,

Where you at? I’ll send you a demo board. I am realistically still a couple months away from our season here so I could (if you actually wanted to send it back after trying this board!!) make your demo board my summer board.

Anyway, here is my - totally unbiased - review. (Also, this weekend Evan is getting back from a week in Cozumel with a bunch of Air Company customers from South Carolina and I would guess they will post their thoughts here too, apparently the Wide Mako was their favorite board down there and there were a lot of other companies with boards to use!)

I am 75kg, 168lbs. I have been riding the normal 150 Mako up until this last trip I took and never thought I would find a board I liked better than the 150. I’ve taken the 150 wide with me now on 2 trips to Mexico and can honestly tell you it is the nicest board I have ridden. It glides beautifully at slow speeds and allows you to carve up wind quickly even in the light stuff. At higher speeds it is so wide you can drive your weight forward for stability and it tracks just beautifully. For me, it feels exactly like my snowboard. Even weighted stance and very reliable. The rocker and flex is different from the origional 150 and allows the board to really dampen the chop. Pop is huge because of the large rail, the only issue being you need to be sure to release the edge poperly or the board will suck to the surface of the water. This is true for all large boards though.

JZ

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 09 February 2008 03:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2006-11-22

John
I have the original Mako 150. I really like it too. I am a little heavier than you (80kgs) so my question is this: Now that you have and love the new Mako wide, when do you see yourself riding your original Mako?

When I am kiting in low wind (6m/s) on my F-one low wind board, I really long for a snappier more responsive board. Do you see a quiver consisting of a Mako original and a Mako wide as a solution for me? I kite in anything from 6 to 16 m/s here in Denmark.

Kirk

Signature 

Core GT 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako Kingn
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Posted: 09 February 2008 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  626
Joined  2006-03-24

Kirk,
keep the 150 x35 mako for the heavy stuff, its the best of the bunch for the roughest conditions. For medium conditions, Kevin is so right about the 150 x 40, this board is so efficient and flat out fun to ride with the x-tra width and surf outline.
My very 1st impression of the prototype last august at Lake Nitinat was “ahhhh, this feels so good” ...the ride is so smooth compared to a wide fat twin tip (I sold my skywalker 135 x 48 to get this ride)

(mako proto-types at the lake)
I know guys have taken this board into very high winds, but over 25kts I prefer a smaller mako.
And the turns…that is what I love about this line of boards, the sweet carves. I just can't get enough of how this board glides and rides the wind driven wind chop and waves we get here in puget sound.
The mako wide is closer to the feel of a directional when you lay into a serious cutback, the turns have a bit more float and glide to them.
I haven't experienced the kind of board suction that Kevin is describing,
its a bit bigger to pop off flat water, but these makos all seem to sky the best with pure speed off a hunk of chop
This design is just bit more forgiving than any of the other makos,
a great all-around design….hats off to the shaper, this is a beauty! 8)>

Now its my all arounder go to board that seems to eat up the cruddy storm conditions, the 12 to 25 stuff like a fat wide twin tip, but it can handle being OP’d just as well as the 150 x 35.
I know guys have taken this board into very high winds, but over 25kts I prefer a smaller mako.
And the turns…that is what I love about this line of boards, the sweet carves. I just can’t get enough of how this board glides and rides the wind driven wind chop and waves we get here in puget sound.
The mako wide is closer to the feel of a directional when you lay into a serious cutback, the turns have a bit more float and glide to them.
I haven’t experienced the kind of board suction that Kevin is describing,
its a bit bigger to pop off flat water, but these makos all seem to sky the best with pure speed off a hunk of chop
This design is just bit more forgiving than any of the other makos,
a great all-around design….hats off to the shaper, this is a beauty! 8)

Posted: 10 February 2008 01:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2006-11-22

Great advice all round.
So I will phase out my Fone boards and start planning on getting a Mako wide. Now I just have to figure out how to explain that to my wife…

Kirk

Signature 

Core GT 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako Kingn
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Posted: 10 February 2008 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2007-07-28

Hey Craig, Would you care to make an estimate on how many kite sizes the the Mako Wide cuts from the old Mako surf?

I´m at 90+ kg and currently ride an 07- Waroo 17 and a Mako surf (yeah I know, not a good lightwind combo!).

Further, why not the Mako Wide above 25 knots? Why not just down size the kite?

I will complement my Mako surf with the new wide edition so just whant to know if I can get rid of the monsterous W17 for maybe a 15-16 meter SLE.

/Urban.

Posted: 10 February 2008 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  626
Joined  2006-03-24

Someone else should chime in on the mako wide above 25 knots,
like maybe Richard Myerscough…he took this board into 50 knots!
I just feel like it takes less effort to keep in control in high winds with the mako pro.
A lite conditions board will do more than let you drop a kite size down,
it will extend your session when conditions lighten up and your high wind board is not enough.
The skywalker 135 x 48 was a great lite wind board for me, and it did very well in medium conditions too, but riding toeside on a board that wide was a lot of work. And wave riding was not its strongest point of attack either.
But it sure did give my quiver of kites more range.
Thats why I just had to try the mako wide and the Zen wide…I wanted that range in a board that has no limits. I chose the mako wide because it just suits my windsurfer style of riding better….cruise, bump and jump and big air riding. I’m leaving the tricks and those insane kiteloops to the younger guys.
The Zen is perfect for that.

Posted: 10 February 2008 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  505
Joined  2006-01-19

I’ve got the Mako 40 cm in my van ... I have not had an opportunity to try it yet ... 8) Maybe Monday !!! I love these Spring like temps. ...

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Posted: 11 February 2008 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1246
Joined  2006-01-10

Kirk,

I am more of the opinion to downsize the kite in the higher winds and stick with the wide. I love the board and doubt I will bother riding the more narrow version again any time soon…though, you never know.

I have come to this sport from a strong background in snowboarding and for me, the mako wide is the closest board I have come to feeling like my snowboard. Even weighted stance, though depending on the speeds and conditions you can find yourself over the nose or back on the tail, easy to lay into huge carves but also easy to flatten out for a more loose feel, I also really like the lack of effort it demands to keep moving. You can be going so slow with it and it still just keeps you trucking along without effort.

JZ

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 11 February 2008 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2006-01-11

Kirk,

The Mako Wide rocks. I’ve personally spent the last three years riding nothing but the original Mako 150 and surfboards. I just returned from three weeks of demos in Mexico and I can tell you that everyone who rode the 150 Wide loved it….including myself at 150 lbs. It is not as snappy as the original 150 but still turns and jumps extremely well. Overall, it is much more stable and ” solid ” but still retains all of the great characteristics of the narrow 150. It goes upwind very well in the light stuff and planes through lulls like they do not exist….also, it is much better in chop than the narrow board because it has a much softer flex to it.  Everyone said it performed as well as the dedicated light wind ” door ” style boards but is much more fun to ride, is far more versatile (also killer in the waves) and also works very well in lots of wind.  Also, the 150 wide is lighter than the narrow….!

Get one, you won’t regret it! Only one day back and the orders are already come in from those who tested it in Cozumel…...

Cheers,

Evan

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Posted: 11 February 2008 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-11

[quote author=“The Jess-Man”]First off, the Glide is a piece of shit. You want a light wind board, you get a JL Flight Deck.

Mako Wide Review coming tomorrow… as long as Evan picks us up.

The Mighty One.

Three weeks in Mex, just back in my office now….where/when was I picking you up?

Cheers,

Evan

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Posted: 11 February 2008 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-10-05

[quote author=“EvanStolze”]Kirk,

The Mako Wide rocks. I’ve personally spent the last three years riding nothing but the original Mako 150 and surfboards. I just returned from three weeks of demos in Mexico and I can tell you that everyone who rode the 150 Wide loved it….including myself at 150 lbs. It is not as snappy as the original 150 but still turns and jumps extremely well. Overall, it is much more stable and ” solid ” but still retains all of the great characteristics of the narrow 150. It goes upwind very well in the light stuff and planes through lulls like they do not exist….also, it is much better in chop than the narrow board because it has a much softer flex to it.  Everyone said it performed as well as the dedicated light wind ” door ” style boards but is much more fun to ride, is far more versatile (also killer in the waves) and also works very well in lots of wind.  Also, the 150 wide is lighter than the narrow….!

Get one, you won’t regret it! Only one day back and the orders are already come in from those who tested it in Cozumel…...

Cheers,

Evan

Now I am really confused. I thought I would get the 150 x35 until I read this thread. I already have a “door” 164 size board and wanted the Mako Twin for waves and chop conditions. Is the 150x 40 too close to my 164? It seems like an totally different kind of ride compared to the Door…

Posted: 11 February 2008 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-11

You cannot make a comparison between the Mako Wide and a ” door ” . They are completely different boards…..if you are trying to decide between 150 x 34 and the 150 Wide, the answer is easy:

If you are under 150 lbs get the narrow one. If you are over, get the Wide. So far, I find that the vast majority of testers prefer the Wide….

My guess is you will bin the ” door ” after riding the Mako Wide… :D

Cheers,

Evan

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Posted: 13 February 2008 04:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-09-11

Kited for 3 hours today ... thought I’d go for the Mako 134x35 first - pretty good, had about an hour sessh ... had a break and went for the 150wide and kited for 2 hrs and had an absolute ball, (dead-flat, knee deep inside the reef and 3~4’ waves out the back) ... it’s just sooo much fun to ride ...

The Mako 150wide just rips - end of story !

:wink:

Posted: 13 February 2008 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-10-05

Decision made!  150 wide…Now I have to find a place in Ontario with waves…anyone have any ideas/locations?

1 of 2