Any tips how to self launch my new rise 14 meters 08 on snow

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2008-02-06

PM

I always use open ram kites during winter , I’d like to try my new rise on snow , I had bad experiences 4 years ago with inflated kites on snow , they were sliding on the snow so you could not self launch them . I kite ski 98% of the time by myself.

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Try securing your front line depower strap to a tree or post , then put your kite @ the edge of the window & release it in the launch position ... Your kite will be depowered ... Walk back to your bar. Hook into your chicken loop , release depower strap from tree & hook it to your harness.  Ease out depower through the cleat to provide enough power to launch. Launch kite by gently pulling bar & tugging on top steering line if required ... Self landing is the reverse ... I will post a video of this procedure eventually.

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Have you tried the rotation launch?
You still might need a weight bag, but not as heavy as you would need for a C-style launch.

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2007-09-14

PM

We do snow kite a lot on lakes here and we use icescrews. I pump the kite, attach the lines to kite and open lines. After opening lines from bar i put chicken loop to ice screw or i use frontline safety on ice screw. After that i go to kite and take it to the side of the wind window and put kite to stand. Then just go to bar and we are ready to fly. Self landing can do same way. Easy and pretty fast.
Usually i also leave lines to kite when packing the kite (like foil kiters do). So much faster to start the next session.

Rotation launch would probably work too but you might need some kind of weight over the kite.

Signature

RRD HyperType 15m -07, OceanRodeo Rise 12m -07, OceanRodeo Rise 8m -07…

Joined 2008-02-06

PM

Thanks , I’m gonna try with my ice-screw on the chicken loop strap. That means , if you happen to drop the kite, smile  you need a spare ice-screw along with you. I’m not certain to understand the rotation launch though. I saw a fifth line set-up to reverse-launch once but it’s one more line to mess with.

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2007-09-14

PM

If you drop the kite while snowkiting you dont need anything to help the lauch. If kite is on leading edge down just pull one of the steering lines. If it drops trailing edge down then you can pull both front lines same time but be careful couse kite will go thru powerzone.

Signature

RRD HyperType 15m -07, OceanRodeo Rise 12m -07, OceanRodeo Rise 8m -07…

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

If your rise lands downwind with leading edge away from you a REVERSE launch is handy ... Pull a generous amount on the REAR lines. Kite will rise up backwards, then you induce a turn to the desired direction by releasing one side ... Try in light wind @ first !!!

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 1249

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

I agree wholeheartedly with JL.

Regarding self launch, if you have a lot of space (like a frozen lake or a large beach) here is a very simple method:

- Rig your kite with the bar and lines downwind of the kite (remember in this setup red should be on the right because you are rigging backwards)
- Once rigged, walk around the kite keeping tension on the lines
- As you reach 90° to the wind begin to pull on the bottom steering line to get the kite to roll onto its side.
- Once on its side, launching will be easy.

Another important note: when snow kiting avoid leaving the kite nose down on the ice for too long. The wind will make the kite shudder and will scratch the LE of the kite…!

Z

Joined 2008-02-06

PM

Wow! I really appreciate all the tips here , Thank you to all of you.
Now I know what to do, next light wind day.