valves and bladders in -30

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2008-02-20

PM

i live saskatoon and we have a ton of -20 days with a windchill of -30. i would like to know if the rise ventui ‘s are a feasible all season kite with my range of temps? i weigh 180 my girl 135 i have a psycho3 13m i ride in 20-37klicks.  what size should i get my girl for these conditions taking into account it will be my strong wind kite. what size should i replace my flysurfer with? will the rise hold up to training someone in the frigid temps. thanx ryan

Total Posts: 571

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

ryan

I couldn’t comment on the temperature side of things but I’d say the 8m would be a good choice dependant on board size and all the other factors of course.

At 140 lbs . myself I use a 7m One for the strong stuff. I have the ‘07 Rise 12m but at this moment am waiting for a 10m Rise Venturi to arrive (‘am waiting?’ Can’t wait) So much sweet stuff has, and is being said about these kites. They have a tremendous overlap and a surprising low end. Lots of posts here and on some of the other forums to keep you busy for an evening!

I’m sure someone else’ll chime in on this and your other question smile

andy

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2006-11-12

PM

I/m not sure about the cold either.  I have used the rise in sub zero with no problems, but not that subsub zero!  my 2cents worth, A 135 lb person could easily use a 6mrise to snowkite in that wind range, and as a high wind snowkite it would probably work fine for you.  on the water you probably need the 8/12 combo.  \i have a 6/8/10 rise set and have used the 12 but at 150lbs \i don’t need the 12. 
PS if your girl is learning on snow, a 6mrise and 40cm bar is ideal to learn with in the 20-37, and you will be loved.  and then a 10 as she progresses for light\med wind. \if it’s just one kite for you and her (water and snow),  keep it simple and get the 8, but use it w/o the extensions (shorter lines) when learning for her and remember it’s a powerful eight.

Signature

Joined 2008-02-20

PM

thanks for the info .anyone with positive or negative things to say about the temps? like maybe don’t ride or especially don’t learn to fly in say -10. what are some safe recommendations?thanks

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Geez man, those are some serious temperatures.

I’d have to guess that you’d be fine but I have no experience at all with temperatures like that. I live on the coast man! (yeah, but its a “wet” cold).

I would be worried more about the plastics on the kite getting brittle, like the bar ends or the hose clamps. More so than the rubber. But that is just instinct, no experience at all.

JZ

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2006-11-12

PM

hey john,
c’mon, send the guy a kite to test out in -20 to -30
we had a 6, 10 and 12 rise out snowkiting in -5 with no problems but -20 is a different animal.
opps, maybe it’s too late spring has sprung here, oh ya it’s kelowna. (the least windy city in the country), im thinking of moving to saskatoon, so lets see what kinda cold the rise can handle!!

Signature

Joined 2008-02-20

PM

i wouldn’t be able to refuse that offer! i’m thinking of converting to OR tubes, not a real big fan of my flysurfers bow tie. spring?  i wish… mornings -23, afternoons-10, and this is a pleasant week, next week it’s suppose to cool off again. i’d love to fly a rise 12 or 14m venturi to compare it to my psycho3. people around hear kinda frown on inflatables in the winter, accept one person whom i had a conversation with lately who rides cabrinas and says he’s never had a “winter issue”. this conversation having sparked my interest in OR’s rise. so it’s the plastics not the rubber that “might” be of concern? SASKATOONS GREAT but kelowna seems like paradise from here sometimes.

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2007-09-24

PM

Surface makes a difference too.  -30 and riding on a canola field with lots of stubble makes it very likely to put holes in kites.  (I’ve done it to my foils).  Riding on a lake or on a field with 100% coverage and no stubble poking through is better than our current conditions.  (I haven’t put my new Rise up yet for this reason, but I’m looking forward to water soon - south padre island coming up!!!)  smile

Cheers,
The other Ryan in Saskatoon

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

I took my 12m One to Edmonton last time we went North for a visit, and had no issues with the performance of the kite in -20 and below. The poker thingys for deflating are fabulous, if you want to deflate the struts, otherwise, I don’t think you could deflate,...in those temperatures you couldn’t pinch the valves af the plastic does get pretty hard.

I didn’t deflate the struts untill I got back home, and just rolled up the l.e. I did this pretty quickly after getting home, and didn’t warm up the car too much for fear of the warming air expanding too much and doing some damage.

I also set up the lines on the kite at home..you want to take off your gloves as little as possible in -20 and below, and pre inflate the struts to save a bit of time as well. You have to re-inflate these when the air inside cools, but you would have to do this anyway if you started to inflate outside, as the pump creates warmer air which will reduce in volume as it cools.

I didn’t think I would enjoy snow kiting as much as I did, but it really is a blast, espescially with a bit of terrain ( not that this would be an issue in Saskatoon). It’s amazing how steep a hill the kite will pull you up, and a 2 foot hop going down a 30 degree slope quickly turns into a 20 foot jump!!

Unless you are on really fluffy powder, do be aware that the crusty broken ice on the surface of the snow can be Very sharp, and can damage the kite, and I wouldn’t try any of the “sliding” methods of launching on this surface.

Dress for weather warmer than what you might expect. I always came back after a session soaking wet, and was never cold. Adrenalin, I guess,and kiting is also more physical than it looks.

I always wore a motocross helmet, It has enough to keep my head warm and was glad I did as ground coverage in some fields is only a couple inches of snow over Very hard ice.
Have fun.

Signature

If it doesn’t blow it sucks!