16m vented Rise review

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Flew my new 16m yesterday for the 1st time in winds that seemed too lite.
A downwinder in 8 or 9mph, and then in a patch of pinched air about 300m’s across..where it felt like 10 or 12.
I could easily stay upwind in the patch, and spent some time there.
All I had with me was a 50cm bar too…the specs call for a 60cm.
First and foremost, the kite holds air, whew!
I thought about self launching, but then I accepted the help of a dude named Jacob who was hoping for a session and volunteered to give me a launch.
Smooth traction and beautiful tracking is what struck me right off, rock solid at 12 o’clock with my hands off the bar in 8 or 9 mph.
Easily put me and my mako wide on a plane in this wind speed, but I did not even bother to try staying upwind this 1st session.
The tide was out and I wanted to do about a 1/2 mile downwinder.
I had really pretty darn good board speed pointed slightly off the wind, and easily captured that apparent wind zone.
Then I played with how the kite flew at the edge of the window, and fiddled with the sheeting to see how it flew at different angles of attack.
When I loaded up the rear lines, it resisted dropping back in the window, which is interesting.
This could be a very good kite for unhooking.
Using a 50cm bar with the bridal on the forward points of attachment, it turns just about as fast as my 05’ 20m Yarga, smooth and slow.
I could loop the kite with smooth power, and almost pivot it in place with x-treme bar input.
I think on a bigger 60cm bar this baby is going to be just like rock and roll man!
The traction builds up very smoothly…you can really feel it.
The 07’ 14m and the 08’ 16m have a very similar low end, its hard to tell without a back to back.
The 16m however feels like it can fly faster out of a lull.
At about 12mph, I could literally feel the vents kick in.
The huge vent seam seems to give this kite a slippery feel.
It flys forward with a noticeable good punch right into the edge of wind window.
Gosh, that vent seam seems soooooooo huge!
A big meshy gash across the center of the kite!
Way more air is passing through this than the 10m, and the 6m’s vent seems small now!
I could jump head high, maybe a bit more in 10 or 12, and the glide was amazing!
My 1st power stroke had me gliding about the length of my lines and was so smooth…this is when a rock solid slippery yet tracky kite is so nice to fly…during the glide, or I guess the descent from the apex of the power stroke jump. The vents seem to add a ram air smoothness the the inflatable dynamics.
I think I like the idea of having a big meshy gash in my kite now.

side by side of the 07’ 14m (red) and the 16m venturi (green)

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

2nd session with this kite today in winds from 12 to 17mph.
My custom 60cm bar failed after a few reaches on the water, ended up having to use the 50cm bar again.
The 16m really does hum on the bigger bar, but is super fun to cruise with the smaller bar in more powered conditions.
The 16m Rise venturi has huge amounts of lift when the wind speed reaches 15 and above. All you have to do is sheet in and you are airborne!
With the big bar I could plant the Rise dead center for an upwards power stroke with a flick of the wrist. With the small bar I had to really point the bar at the kite to whip it back and up. Very stable in the air and resists falling back when the rear lines are loaded up hard.
The venturi seems to love front line tension for keeping the forward momentum though, that slipstream, glide effect is so incredibly smooth!
The 16m Rise feels to me like its has as much massive traction as the 21m Diablo, but hangs in the air in lighter winds, and climbs out of a hole like a much smaller kite than a 16m.
Its fricken fun to fly!

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Awesome to see Craig!

I am amazed you had kiteable winds yesterday. They called for 10-15 SWhere in the afternoon yesterday and instead it switched SE and blew maybe 5, maximum 7 all day! I can see your shores from where we kite!

Lucky man!

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

I should have called the warehouse from island view John ... We had s.e. from about 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.  10-15 knots ...  8)

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2007-04-23

PM

Question: Curious to know if you foresee using the 14 now that you have the 16? Do you see much difference in turning speed between the 14 and 16? I have a 2007 Rise 12M and am going to add a bigger kite, probably the 14, but maybe the 16!  Turning speed is really high on my list of desired characteristics.

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Thats a good question.
I found an excited buyer for my 14m, so this 16m venturi is its replacement.
If I can ever get my 60cm bar to work for more than 15 minutes, it flies the 16m Rise as a medium/fast turning kite.
With the 50cm bar it reacts like a slow/medium speed kite.
The turning speed for this kite isn’t optimum until the vents start working too, at about 12mph wind speed for me so far, the difference is so cool.
I was thinking of adding a 12m Rise to my quiver as well, although the 10m seems to be a magic size, and I know the 16 and 10 have good overlap too.

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

I am using the 50cm bar on my 14 non-vented rise as well as my 10 rise , I was a little wary but it’s just fine ... & that was on the slow turning setting !!!

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I’ve gotten in a 3rd session yesterday, with a 60cm bar.
I think that this is just flat out a big kite, and its just not going to turn the way a 10m Rise whips around. I’m not saying its slow, its just not a super fast kite. I can get it to pivot on a wing tip, and loop with power no problem…the timing is just more spread out with this kite.
I think the 16m Rise is all about long lofty jumps, and butter smooth traction.
Definately has a C-kite feel to it, until that gust tries to mow you down…then it depowers way better than I expected. This might have a better high end than the 07’14m Rise. Thats the beauty of these vents, they just make the kite perform better all around.