Mako Wide (what else.. )

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Thinking of the wide to be my next board.
I’ve read a lot about the board and waiting for a test ride.
For now I’m looking for a vid of the Wide on the flat, chop and waves
Is it available?

Regards

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Janus,

I have been bugging Richard to strap on his helmet cam again and take the wide out locally here on a big day at Cook St. When the tide is ebbing and the winds are howling we end up with some massive wind chop. Likewise…when the tide is flooding and the winds howling we get some huge rolling swells, so there is no shortage of gnarly wave and chop conditions to show this board off in locally…

Stay posted, we have been in the middle of a lull for winds lately but they are expected back this weekend!

JZ

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Thx Johnz,
How was the weekend?

Regards,
Arjan

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

Had my first ride on my new Mako wide today, really liked it. Was powered then over-powered on a 12m One, but the Mako Wide didn’t feel big at all, edged and carved great. Riding it flatter it was definitely lifty, but looking forward to riding it again in less powered conditions to better gauge its low end.

Looking forward to getting the OR contoured no-stick pads so I can put the pads from my old Slingy Glide back on it and sell it !

Signature

Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2007-04-16

PM

can you get this board with no pads and get a discount?  What would the MSRP of just the board blank be compared to the board complete?

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

Right now all the OR boards are coming with a set of the thin & hard foam stick-on pads. For $25, OR will send you a set of the new contoured non-stick pads in a week or two, when they are in stock. There is a thread from a few weeks back about the pads that has a picture of the new pads.

Since the boards are all packaged and boxed up at the factory in Thailand, I doubt the OR guys will want to open a board up to remove the stick-on pads.

Just divide the $25 by the number of times you expect to use the board, and I expect you agree the new “squishy” pads are worth it. Your feet will thank you, especially if you ride bare-foot.

Signature

Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Unfortunately we don’t sell the boards without pads and straps…sorry.

The weekend was both awesome and not awesome. We arrived at Pismo on Friday afternoon and managed to get about 2 hours on the water and to get about 4 or 5 guys on the gear. The next day, the official start of the event, there was no wind, nothing. Lame. Stood in the sun for 8 hours talking to people about the equipment. Sold close to 10 kites and 3 boards without people trying anything but, truth be told, I think these guys were already sold on the gear to begin with.

Sunday we woke up and saw that the forecast was calling for more of the same. We rounded up about 15 people and caravanned north to Piedras Blanca, right in front of Hearst Castle and kited there for the entire day. We got a ton of people on the gear and managed to get a number of hours on the water ourselves. Likely one of the coolest places I have ever kited. Side on winds, nice peeling wave (would have been amazing with bigger swell) and absolutely stunning scenery of the California coast line and Hearst Castle on the top of the hill. Very stoked to take some time off and come back to this area of the coast and take 1 to 2 weeks to pick my way along the coast looking for spots like this to ride at.

John Z

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2007-10-05

PM

This board rocks…I am in awe!

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Hope i can post some positive comments within a few weeks…
Regards

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2007-04-16

PM

Are the wides shipping yet?  It is the middle of May :D

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2008-02-15

PM

yes I would like to know too :o

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

I’ve been told within 2 weeks…

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

If you have a board on order it will ship sometime between Tuesday and Friday of this week coming up. They all just arrived!

JZ

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Thx Johnz.
Do you already have some vid’s or the Wide ready?

I do have another challenge.. the Wide doesn’t fit in my small 666 boardbag..
I’ve read that is does fit in the NSI Deceiver bag but i find it easier to travell with a small boardbag for the board and a normal suitcase for the rest of my gear (3 kites with bars, suit, vest, harness, helmet). Since I travell this way I’ve never had discussions about my luggage, even with the Deceiver bag I had some discussions.

So which boardbag should i buy for the Wide? any suggestions?
It should be small and nicely polstered to protect the Wide.
(it would be nice to put my 666 in the bag aswell…)

Regards
Arjan

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Richard shot a video of him on the wide, I’ll get him to post it here.

Re: travel bags, I have a deceiver bag too and it barely fits the mako wide. (just able to squeeze the board in past the zipper). I have travelled extensivly with the bag and have never had any hassles, as long as I keep it below the 50lb limit.

JZ

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2007-07-28

PM

My Wide never arrives?!?!?

Sorry to say but I ordered a Mako wide in late february :shock: and the board has not arrived yet!

My supplier has been in contact with the OR-office many times lately with no reply. They (OR-office) originally said (some weeks ago) that the board was in transit but no “delivery number” has been sent out to my supplier (http://www.kitesweden.se) . I`m beginning to have second thoughts :cry: . I just love my Mako std so I was realy extatic when the news of a Mako wide appeard last year.

Make me happy OR, please.

/Urban.