Mako Wide (what else.. )

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Thinking of the wide to be my next board.
I’ve read a lot about the board and waiting for a test ride.
For now I’m looking for a vid of the Wide on the flat, chop and waves
Is it available?

Regards

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Janus,

I have been bugging Richard to strap on his helmet cam again and take the wide out locally here on a big day at Cook St. When the tide is ebbing and the winds are howling we end up with some massive wind chop. Likewise…when the tide is flooding and the winds howling we get some huge rolling swells, so there is no shortage of gnarly wave and chop conditions to show this board off in locally…

Stay posted, we have been in the middle of a lull for winds lately but they are expected back this weekend!

JZ

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Thx Johnz,
How was the weekend?

Regards,
Arjan

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

Had my first ride on my new Mako wide today, really liked it. Was powered then over-powered on a 12m One, but the Mako Wide didn’t feel big at all, edged and carved great. Riding it flatter it was definitely lifty, but looking forward to riding it again in less powered conditions to better gauge its low end.

Looking forward to getting the OR contoured no-stick pads so I can put the pads from my old Slingy Glide back on it and sell it !

Signature

Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2007-04-16

PM

can you get this board with no pads and get a discount?  What would the MSRP of just the board blank be compared to the board complete?

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

Right now all the OR boards are coming with a set of the thin & hard foam stick-on pads. For $25, OR will send you a set of the new contoured non-stick pads in a week or two, when they are in stock. There is a thread from a few weeks back about the pads that has a picture of the new pads.

Since the boards are all packaged and boxed up at the factory in Thailand, I doubt the OR guys will want to open a board up to remove the stick-on pads.

Just divide the $25 by the number of times you expect to use the board, and I expect you agree the new “squishy” pads are worth it. Your feet will thank you, especially if you ride bare-foot.

Signature

Comox Kite Repair

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Unfortunately we don’t sell the boards without pads and straps…sorry.

The weekend was both awesome and not awesome. We arrived at Pismo on Friday afternoon and managed to get about 2 hours on the water and to get about 4 or 5 guys on the gear. The next day, the official start of the event, there was no wind, nothing. Lame. Stood in the sun for 8 hours talking to people about the equipment. Sold close to 10 kites and 3 boards without people trying anything but, truth be told, I think these guys were already sold on the gear to begin with.

Sunday we woke up and saw that the forecast was calling for more of the same. We rounded up about 15 people and caravanned north to Piedras Blanca, right in front of Hearst Castle and kited there for the entire day. We got a ton of people on the gear and managed to get a number of hours on the water ourselves. Likely one of the coolest places I have ever kited. Side on winds, nice peeling wave (would have been amazing with bigger swell) and absolutely stunning scenery of the California coast line and Hearst Castle on the top of the hill. Very stoked to take some time off and come back to this area of the coast and take 1 to 2 weeks to pick my way along the coast looking for spots like this to ride at.

John Z

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2007-10-05

PM

This board rocks…I am in awe!

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Hope i can post some positive comments within a few weeks…
Regards

Joined 2007-04-16

PM

Are the wides shipping yet?  It is the middle of May :D

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2008-02-15

PM

yes I would like to know too :o

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

I’ve been told within 2 weeks…

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

If you have a board on order it will ship sometime between Tuesday and Friday of this week coming up. They all just arrived!

JZ

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Thx Johnz.
Do you already have some vid’s or the Wide ready?

I do have another challenge.. the Wide doesn’t fit in my small 666 boardbag..
I’ve read that is does fit in the NSI Deceiver bag but i find it easier to travell with a small boardbag for the board and a normal suitcase for the rest of my gear (3 kites with bars, suit, vest, harness, helmet). Since I travell this way I’ve never had discussions about my luggage, even with the Deceiver bag I had some discussions.

So which boardbag should i buy for the Wide? any suggestions?
It should be small and nicely polstered to protect the Wide.
(it would be nice to put my 666 in the bag aswell…)

Regards
Arjan

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Richard shot a video of him on the wide, I’ll get him to post it here.

Re: travel bags, I have a deceiver bag too and it barely fits the mako wide. (just able to squeeze the board in past the zipper). I have travelled extensivly with the bag and have never had any hassles, as long as I keep it below the 50lb limit.

JZ

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2007-07-28

PM

My Wide never arrives?!?!?

Sorry to say but I ordered a Mako wide in late february :shock: and the board has not arrived yet!

My supplier has been in contact with the OR-office many times lately with no reply. They (OR-office) originally said (some weeks ago) that the board was in transit but no “delivery number” has been sent out to my supplier (http://www.kitesweden.se) . I`m beginning to have second thoughts :cry: . I just love my Mako std so I was realy extatic when the news of a Mako wide appeard last year.

Make me happy OR, please.

/Urban.

Joined 2007-04-16

PM

wow I thought waiting since May 1st was a long time :shock:

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Tele - Gonna have to say that you might be getting told some 1/2 truths? We have been scrambling - just scrambling - to keep up with the demand for the Mako Wide. We only this past week got our latest shipment of the boards in so there is no way it could have been shipped earlier. The only thought I have is that Lars was told the boards were on route to us? Once we receive them we need then turn them around to you.

Anyway, the good news is this: 1) boards are in stock (as are the new pads and straps for the upgrade crew). 2) Your board has shipped (I am on the road but know we did a European shipment on Friday) and 3) (for the rest of you) We have a ton more of the boards arriving next week so all back orders will be taken care of with the shipment we just got and we will actually have some extras too!

JZ

Joined 2007-07-28

PM

[quote author=“Johnz”]Tele - Gonna have to say that you might be getting told some 1/2 truths? We have been scrambling - just scrambling - to keep up with the demand for the Mako Wide. We only this past week got our latest shipment of the boards in so there is no way it could have been shipped earlier. The only thought I have is that Lars was told the boards were on route to us? Once we receive them we need then turn them around to you.

Anyway, the good news is this: 1) boards are in stock (as are the new pads and straps for the upgrade crew). 2) Your board has shipped (I am on the road but know we did a European shipment on Friday) and 3) (for the rest of you) We have a ton more of the boards arriving next week so all back orders will be taken care of with the shipment we just got and we will actually have some extras too!

JZ

Well maybe there is some mixup then to what-is-shipped-to-where. It could possibly be that I told him I wanted it with the new pads. He most def said that if i would seetle with the old pads I could get the board almost within a few days but with the new pads it would be some 2 weeks delivery time, but even so it should have been here two weeks ago. Well, what the heck, I been waiting until now so one week more will not make much difference.

It realy would have been nice though to have the board by the weekend. Will be tough i recon :( . My mom is paying a rare visit (she lives 500 km away) and you guys with a 11 month toddler knows that is a nice opportunity to get in some unlimited play raspberry and the missus is realy fast to snipe the Mako std from me 8).

/Urban.

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Yeah man, I am really sorry you’ve been waiting so long. The board is sweet though and I am sure you’ll love it when you have it!

JZ

Joined 2007-07-28

PM

Just some update, i have a shipping nr, the bord is now in Denmark and well on its way. Will be here in the middle of next week :D :D

I´m droooling all over the place right now just eeeager to put my grubby hands on it. O boy if I could just skip a few days into the future, now, who is that Michael J Fox guy. Maybe he could teach me some magic time travel stuff   :wink:

/Urban.

Total Posts: 315

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

Apparently my lux pads are in, but there was mix up and I didn’t get the straps yet, how do I put the old straps on with the new pads, may make sence when I see it but I tought the new straps had a special attachment.

Jason

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

new padz

I got my new pads last week and have been on them once - very nice !

Had boots on, can’t wait to try them bare-foot.

Signature

Comox Kite Repair

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-09-04

PM

mako surf

Signature

I love to Kiteboard

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

[quote author=“000044105”]Apparently my lux pads are in, but there was mix up and I didn’t get the straps yet, how do I put the old straps on with the new pads, may make sence when I see it but I tought the new straps had a special attachment.

Jason

We can sell you the new straps too but your existing straps work just fine, the only difference between the 2 is the new 90° plastic piece which makes them easier to bolt onto the boards.

JZ

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2008-02-06

PM

screws for the straps

I just got my new mako wide , I try to fix the pads and straps on but it looks like the screws provided are short. There is only one thread that can make it through.

Joined 2007-04-16

PM

If I were to buy some brass screws to use what size would work in the mako wide inserts?

Joined 2006-11-15

PM

Stop posting untill me and my Dutch fellows have our mako wides in our hands!  :evil: Winds suck for weeks already…. makes us impatient, grumpy and slightly aggresive :evil:  :evil:

Joined 2008-02-06

PM

screws for the pads and straps

I finally managed to fix my straps , you need to put much pressure to squeeze the foam ,  I was doing the work on a table and could’nt put the pressure required. I shaved the tip of the melted webbing to make it flush with the pad but maybe it wasn`t necessary.

So kiter 86 you will not need screws unless you’ve lost yours , at this point I could dismount one of mine and give you the size , All I know they are metric.

Joined 2008-02-06

PM

Hey Wouter , I don’t want to tease you but the board look awsome.
If it can help , there is no wind in the forecast for the next 3 days here….. :wink:

Joined 2006-11-15

PM

@earlybird….... *$#&*^#@%&@#%$@#&%#@  :x

Joined 2007-07-28

PM

[quote author=“wouter”]@earlybird….... *$#&*^#@%&@#%$@#&%#@  :x

Yes Wouter - Now I got mine to it looks realy, realy nice, Oh man, what a nice looking board. What do you know, looking out the window the trees (and http://www.windguru.cz) are suggesting 18 knots seabreeze and 25+ Celsius the whole weekend   :wink:  :wink: Now, be careful with the keyboard, I´m the one to hit :wink:

/Urban.

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2007-09-17

PM

AAAAAAAAARG   :cry:  :evil:  :cry:  :evil:

Joined 2007-04-16

PM

Just got mine in today :D   I will be slashing up the chop tomorrow morning

Joined 2007-09-17

PM

@moderator: please delete all the ‘I got my Mako Wide today’ posts please. I…..can’t…....take it any…...longer :cry:

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Here some MAKO fun:  http://www.vsocial.com/video/?d=226764    15 - 25 knot winds ... 10M RISE’s ...  150MAKO 34cm & 150MAKO 40cm (with go-jo)

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2008-02-15

PM

oh got mine yesterday, see you on the water

Joined 2008-02-06

PM

on the water

I was able to try my new mako wide yesterday , 2 hours , wind 18 to 26knots with some higher gusts , kite rise14 , weight 212 .

This board is very easy to get used to , slice through the chop tenderly , i felt like I was on butter. So smooth a ride , easy to jump , very easy to side slip when you want to turn that way. Goes upwind like nothing I had tried yet.

I still have to try it in lighter wind , but I have the feeling for my weight from steady 15 knots with my rise 14 I should be able to ride it. :

I feel like my skill will increase very quickly with this nice toy.  :D

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

GGRRrrr…
Stil waiting for my Wide…
:evil:

8)

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Janus, who did you order through? I’ll get you an update.

JZ

Total Posts: 315

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

Hey John Z I should slap you up side of the head for making me ride the mako wide with the old stick on pads, finally tried it with the lux pads sooooooooooooooooooo nice, thanks for coming up with something else as the other ones killed me feet and the ones nothing, nothing so amazing, hard to believe that the board could be any better.

Thanks, get rid of the stick on pads and make the lux pads standard on all boards, my opinion.

Jason

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Joined 2007-04-16

PM

Tried my wide for the first time in medium light wind.  Can’t believe how well this board goes up wind.  I was skeptical, but now realize how great this board is.  It really eats that lake erie chop smile

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

[quote author=“Johnz”]Janus, who did you order through? I’ll get you an update.

JZ

Thx JZ for reaction.
Ordered from Wouter, he phoned me already to tell me it will arrive next week.  can’t wait though… but this weekend I’ll ride my 666.
Regards,

Arjan

Joined 2006-11-15

PM

Jorrit and Janus. Sorry for the delays man. I was first told it would be in the Netherlands in the 3rd week of may. 3x delayed I have no idea why…... All I know is that it is for sure on its way now and the shipping list also mention the specifick colours that you guys requested. Other people seemed to have gotten their boards with new pads 2 weeks ago….. Strange!

I don’t care about my own board but do care about those of my customers.

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Wouter don’t worry, it’s ok… though I can use a Go Jo and a repairset for my Pyro Pro..  wink
I hope that OR will solve the delivery problem(s) with the new distribution centre.
I also hope that the expression that “all good things come slowly” counts for the Wide.

Regards,
Arjan

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Arjan, Wouter is the man and I am to blame for his lack of proper answers. We have been working to open a new warehouse in Holland that was to have been open for May 1 but which took us longer than expected to get properly stocked. As such I had been hoping to send Wouter his boards through the new warehouse and ended up giving up and sent them from here, weeks later than they should have shipped. 100% my fault to have built up false expectations.

The good news is that the Holland warehouse is actually stoked and functional now! Go ahead and test me! Order something! smile

Jason, the new pads and straps are standard on all 2008 boards shipping from our warehouse now. They are available for re-fit for our early purchasers of 2008 boards. Available as well for straight up purchase to use with any other board and will be included on all 2009 boards as well! Well worth the wait!

(Imagine how tough life was for me, I had the opportunity to use them over Christmas and then needed to give them back! So I knew what I was missing while we waited for them to arrive! Tough life, I know!)

John Z

Joined 2007-09-17

PM

@Wouter: not your fault! Your service is great.

It would not be such a problem if the wind was better. Last weeks were teribble(but just enough for the Mako in my imagination). And this week there will be wind, but saturday is the first day that I can go kiting.
A week longer and I need a white sweater with very long sleaves.

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

[quote author=“Johnz”]

The good news is that the Holland warehouse is actually stoked and functional now! Go ahead and test me! Order something! smile

John Z

I did .. wink
No Wide so far..

Just kidding. I know it is comming this week. And like Jorrit wrote there is some lack of wind on weekend days so it actually doesn’t matter if it comes at all… there will be no wind anyway…

1,5 week before summer holiday is what counts for me know..
Looks like the Wide will be in time.

Regards,
Arjan

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Yesterday the postman arrived with the Mako Wide.
In real it looks even better.

Today I hitted the water and now I know for sure that all good things come slowly.

Smooth is the word for the Mako Wide.
It is really nice to carve the Wide around, what a ride.

Started with my 13m, I ride Flysurfer PsychoIII’s, on normal shollow and deep water, just enough wind to get going. After some adjustments to the straps (which can use some finetunning: small feet: felcro strap is too much loose and can comes loose after a good crash.. i experienced it myself…) I took of some 3 m lines from my 13, wind picked up and better turning from the kite, nice carving, very smooth. Jumping ok, don’t try to pop it won’t work… rotations ok, fast landings, downlooping landings no problemo! a 150 board wich don’t feels big!

Wind pickes up… down sizeing to my 8. know we are talking!
Jumping is ok needs some adjusting from my side, I’m too used to my 666. the water gets choppy and windwaves can be riden so nicely that I’m looking forward to my coming holiday to Corsica with some real waves.
Carving is so nice.

The wide is loose when you want it and tracks when needed.
Chop doesn’t matter, sometimes you bounch a bit but always (so far) in control, it is even fun riding the chop which I hated with my 666.

One fin (2..) is really enough, did someone try without fins?

Sliding to toe side is difficult, you need to hop (wich is no problem), riding toeside is great.

Did I mention the lack of spray..  very annoying.. now i had to wet my face myself to cool off a bit.. wink

Wind keeps picking up gusting over 30 knots, overpowerd and I need to come in (jumps were ok though..  :D ) the Mako and me enjoyed the ride!!
Unfortunatly the clocks tells me it is 16.00 hour and i need to get back home without trying my 6m :-(

Regards,
Arjan

Joined 2007-09-17

PM

I agree with janus.
My Mako arrived friday.
That evening there was a good wind so 5 ours after arrival I was on the water. If you compare it to a car. My 555 is a Audi TT and the Mako is a audi A8   :D
Very smooth eliminating chop. At first I found it hard to jump. Landings were very smooth though.
I have a lot to learn with this board. Can’t wait for the next session. Hopefully in the waves 8)

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2006-04-18

PM

Had the most brilliant session on the Mako Wide yesterday in 30 knots, high swell and shore break with 8m Rise - that board is magic!  It was so good I kept making people give a try. Only problem was no one wanted to give it back and I kept getting flagged down to swap boards again and again.  High winds and rough water with a small kite is a epic combo.

Couldn’t stomach my regular twin tip in those conditions after being on the Mako!

It is like a long board and a snowboard had a child that was raised by a pack of kiteboards - it escapes description.  I am normally a flat water junky and that board is changing my definition of perfect conditions from butter to head high chop and swell. 

Thank you OR!

Total Posts: 108

Joined 2007-01-24

PM

[quote author=“CAM”]It is like a long board and a snowboard had a child that was raised by a pack of kiteboards

Classic. This might be the best description yet.

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Hi,
Just back from a 3 week holiday in corse (corsica) choppy water, wind waves (house high..) 40 kts…
Wat a fun the wide is with my 6m.

BUT.. the design of the Wide isn’t correct…
for me, goofy rider, the front of the bord is ok… regular riders got the idea of riding backwards…
but for us all there is a desing error in the bottom… when you do a deadman, Uside down or table top etc etc you see the OR logo and text upside down on the pics… completely wrong..

but i can live with that..  wink

regards
Arjan