Pyro zipper failure

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2008-01-12

PM

I have been quite happy with my Pro Pro drysuit ..until yesterday. While kiteboarding, when I fell in the water I felt a surge of cold water on my chest and discovered a 3 inch section in the middle of my zipper was not closed (the teeth were not engaged). Worse still, as I explored it, even more of the zipper opened up.

I always wax my zipper regularly. I have now carefully inspected it and can see nothing wrong, but everytime I close the zipper there is a short stretch in the middle that is not closed at all.

Any suggestions?

:(
Chris Glazier

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-11-15

PM

sjeez that is the first I ve heard of….. Best zippers in the industry.

Joined 2008-01-12

PM

The alarming thing is that the zipper appears closed but actually has a gap.
I have been using Pyro drysits for several years with no problems before.
See pictures below..if posting images is possible.
:wink:
Chris Glazier

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I am so glad you are OK Chris, thats kinda scarey.
I have a huge amount of respect for your water prowness, kiting and especially the reviews you’ve written. It was pretty cool to see you in person at Nitinat last summer.
What the heck do you think caused it fatigue, especially if you’re waxing it on a regular basis?
I think my surf dry has a similar zipper, and seems like the strongest part of the suit.

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Hi Chris,

Couple thoughts

1) Contact Philippe, as I assume you bought this suit through him? He will be able to tell you if the suit falls into its warranty period or not - how old is it? We offer a 1 year warranty on all gear

2) The zipper is a very expensive and valuable part of all of our drysuits. Regular waxing is very important but there are also other important considerations (in making this list I am not making any assumptions on your maintenance of the suit Chris):

- Never kink or fold the zipper when packing or storing your suit
- Never force the zipper closed, if it is caught on clothing or suit material carefully back it up to avoid damaging the zipper’s teeth
- Never opperate the zipper with sand or dirt in the teeth. Use a toothbrush to carefully remove all excess debris from the teeth and zipper car before opperating zipper

Any one of the above issues could lead to damage to the zipper similar to what Chris has experienced. One or two damaged zipper teeth will no longer lock closed and will lead to the zipper pulling open each time it is closed, as Chris has experienced.

Generally, zippers do not fail, they are damaged. If you receive a new suit and the zipper is in good working condition it is very unlikely it would ever fail without being exposed to some sort of damage or trauma.

Chris, in your specific case I would - as mentioned above - talk to Philippe about getting that suit back to us for a proper inspection and assessment as to what can be done to get you back on the water quickly.

I look forward to seeing you when I am next in Squamish!

John Z

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Joined 2008-01-12

PM

I probably got some sand in the zipper. Hey, this happens on sandy beaches.

I also did have some warning. I remember that the previous day my zipper was stuck and I had to get help opening it. It took force. I think it got damaged then.

I will get the zipper replaced.  This is just an alert to everyone that you shouldn’t take your zipper for granted. If it ever doesn’t feel smooth in operation, check it carefully. Strangely, mine actually feels smooth when I close the zipper, but not when I open it.

Chris Glazier

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

I am sorry to hear that this has happened Chris, I am sure we can help get you back on the water quickly though. Have Philippe contact Kevin in our offices or call him direct. His extension is 279. I am off to Pismo Beach for the Kite XPO!

JZ

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc