Rise 2008 - do you use a stoper?

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2008-05-13

PM

Hi,
I am wondering - do all of you use the stopper on your bar? The bar pressure is so small that I do not use it at all. The stoper is allways at the pulley. So I just have to drop the bar and the kite depowers 100%. I think that is the safest way of using the kite. You can easily drive the kite with one hand, you have unlimited sheating ability, the only thing you have to watch for is after spinning - you do not let go of the bar, but spin it in your hands.
Does anyone feel the same?
Greetings,
Jaros
Btw: The Rise08 8m2 is perfect. I can use it on the mako 150/34 from 14 knots up easily. Great range.

Total Posts: 97

Joined 2007-10-02

PM

I personally cant ride without the stopper. I like around 6-10” of chicken loop throw. The one time I rode without the stopper, I found that I would end up sheeting out too much in the gusts instead of edging the board. Then when the gusts would stop, the kite would have no power and I would sink into the water. But this was also an extremely gusty spot with 10+ mph gusts that last for 5-10 seconds and then go away.

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2006-01-09

PM

I fly diablos, not rises, and the diablo bar comes without a stopper on it.  I have changed out the line on my bars and put in the line with the stopper ball on it.  I have been flying them this way for a couple of years and wouldn’t go back to not having one.  I also ride with very little throw and the great thing about riding with a stopper ball is that you get a very consistent power when it is set since the bar won’t move.  If you try to just hold the bar at one position (without a stopper) you can’t hold the bar in one position.  Even if it moves just an inch, the difference in power is pretty big.  An inch doesn’t sound like much but consider what an inch would be like if one of your steering lines was out an inch.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2006-01-20

PM

I use the stopper, but I would have to say that it would depend on your board and flying skills. if you can effectively hold power with edging and flying the kite to the edge, then the stopper makes life alot easier. If you
always use the depower of the kite to bleed off excess pull, then having a longer throw or not using the stopper is the way to go.

Signature

Its all about the adventure and stoke!

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-10-20

PM

if u dont use the stopper you risk inverting the kite, upon crashing it.

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

[quote author=“Scrotus”]if u dont use the stopper you risk inverting the kite, upon crashing it.

I think that statement only applies for certain types of kites and in stronger wind conditions dude!

Signature

http://www.oceanrodeokites.co.uk

RIPPING UP THE OCEAN RODEO GEAR IN THE UK!!!!

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2008-05-13

PM

My kites have never inverted on me and I fly kites without stopper since 2006, first GK Sonic, and now Rise.
Jaros

Total Posts: 574

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

[quote author=“wadem”]Even if it moves just an inch, the difference in power is pretty big.  An inch doesn’t sound like much but consider what an inch would be like if one of your steering lines was out an inch.

The girls around these parts say that the extra inch makes all the difference LOL

I used to ride with the stopper all the way up by the pulley. I got used to untwisting my lines after a rotation by passing the bar hand over hand. Occasionally I still do and when you let the bar go you get virtually 100% de-power. Tend to prefer around 12” throw now as if you let go of the bar inadvertently it won’t go all the way up and invariably end up with a dunking of the kite in the drink and having to re-launch.

Haven’t really had a spanking with this amount of de-power anytime recently either.

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2007-09-17

PM

If you behave bad enough (and don’t use the stopper) you can invert the Rise rolleyes
So I always use the stopper
- to easaly untwist my lines
- To prevent the kite from hindenburging in very light wind after a failed backroll….
- and sometimes just to be very lazy and cruise :D

Total Posts: 349

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

i only made the mistake of not using the stopper once.

you try doing a deadman on a rise with no stopper and get back to me :D

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2006-01-20

PM

Can’t say that i have come close to inverting a rise, but possibly using a 7m one has taught me a few things on how to avoid inversion.

Signature

Its all about the adventure and stoke!

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2007-10-03

PM

I have a hard time keeping the stopper in one place. It seems to slip very easy. Is there a diff between the 07 bar and the 08 ? From the pics they look the same. I got my 08 Rises so early this season, I think I ended uop with the 07 bar.

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-11-15

PM

Jorrit! My man…. INVERTING YOUR RISE???? on flat water??? How??what???when??? are you mad???  LOL  8)

PS no stopper no glory!!!! I would also like a MICRO hook like royal on the 09 bar. Bring back the deadmans!!!! (or am i to much oldschool now?)

But for real! make a micro hook on the bar!

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2007-09-17

PM

[quote author=“wouter”]Jorrit! My man…. INVERTING YOUR RISE???? on flat water??? How??what???when??? are you mad???  LOL  8)

I sort of have a gift for messing things up :oops:
If you try it it’s impossible, but just at the wrong moment….
Even more : it was very flat water : Kornwerderzand rolleyes
Another example: my leg still hurts after a messed up kiteloop backroll into the ijsselmeer 3 weeks ago :D (and I just wanted to try a backroll)
Maybe with the Mako I will be more cautious LOL

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

[quote author=“dcole5”]I have a hard time keeping the stopper in one place. It seems to slip very easy. Is there a diff between the 07 bar and the 08 ? From the pics they look the same. I got my 08 Rises so early this season, I think I ended uop with the 07 bar.

I know what you mean it can tend to sneak up the line especially (I find) when you change the trim on the kite through out a session.

Best cure for this - GO MAD.

jump and spin like nutter and really utilise that stopper to its full potential. Use it and you wont forget it.

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2008-06-20

PM

How do you guys like the stopper? I didn’t get used yet to the fact that I can’t just push away the bar and the stopper because it will just lock up (seems kinda dangerous to me).
Is there a reason why the stopper system is not similar to other systems which allow to push away the stopper with the bar? This worked pretty well with my 2007 Best Bar.

Another problem is that the stopper tends to go up to the pulley automatically, so I can’t just grab it because it is too far away.

Has anyone modified the stopper system so that the stopper does not move without doing anything and that the stopper can be pushed up with the bar?

Thomas

Total Posts: 349

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

im on the old punch up, but i picked out the rope plug which jams it and moved it up about 20cm to get a better throw.. seems to do the job.

tbh you really dont need to stopper to move as releasing onto the trim and punching out the bar do exactly the same thing. i dont think ive ever punched out my bar as it doesnt seem natural in a panicy moment so now i have removed the rope plug completely and screwed the stopper up to the max so it doesnt move at all.. as i just have it set for my arms length and dont need to move it as i made a micro loop for oldschool jumps smile

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

I use the stopper, but I can’t remember the last time I tried to “punch out”.  When things have gone wrong and I’ve needed to release the chicken loop, the system has never failed, and the system fully depowers all the way to the top of the rope.

Also, when the stopper is right at the top, and I forget to reset it before launching, I sort of try and grab the bar and the rope at the same time, and pull them both in together to the point that I can reach the stopper.  I can’t do this whilst riding, of course, but I either put the kite down onto one wing at the edge of the window, or sometimes with the kite at 11 or 1 o’clock.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2006-01-18

PM

When the stoppers first came out, I used them all the time.  Even made my own out of a friend’s cutting board before the new ones were ready.  But these days, I find I use it less and less.  I usually rode my surfboard last winter strapless, and I found I was either riding hooked in with the stopper up at the pulley, or unhooked and no stopper at all. 

There’s two situations where I like to use it though - it makes picking up a lost board a lot easier if you can just lock the kite at full power.  Also, I think it might help with the “strapless surfboard jump-grap-land” routine, but I haven’t perfected that yet.  The bar pressure is so light I can jump pretty well one handed anyway, but I think I might get more airtime with a stopper.  I just have to stop dropping the surfboard mid flight.  smile

I like having the choice though.

Total Posts: 75

Joined 2007-04-23

PM

stopper’s great but it moves up too much. i believe they are going to come out with a better stopper that doesn’t move up as much.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2008-06-20

PM

do you guys think i could exchange the original stopper with the stopper from the best 2007 bar? see
or does this imply any safety problems?

thomas