UK OR get together / Demo Day

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Howdy All

September 27th / 28th 2008

A mate of mine has started planning a weekender up at my local beach for those that pimp their VW vans. To back that up he’s also arranged for a good weekends kiting on what I think is one of the best UK beaches. (no local bias there!!  :shock: )

Anyhow he’s asked me to see if OR want to be involved.

At the very least I’m thinking :idea: this is a damn good opportunity to get the Crew together.

If things take off a little then we can think about adding other stuff.

So far the local council are on board.
BKSA have been informed are supportive (Clashes with one of their events though)
Campsite next to the beach is up for it with special rates to be agreed.

More info here:
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13581

All those interested answer the pole so we can keep an idea on numbers, keep the campsite and council up to speed.

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

Yep,

If numbers get above a certain point we will be needing some demo equipment from OR along with a few beach flags! Lets make it an OR mini event!

This can be my 30-40kt huge swell Nitinat without the bears!

Plus my van looks like a micro machine transporter so it should fit in.

Ben

Signature

http://www.oceanrodeokites.co.uk

RIPPING UP THE OCEAN RODEO GEAR IN THE UK!!!!

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

tell you what Ben I bet your van draws more attention the almost everyone else’s put together.

I’m sure Richard will post here but I know he’s thinking hard about coming. (cheers for the email Richard) Some interesting business commitments might clash but I hope not. (its got nothing to do with emulsion, and German ladies either!  :shock: ).

Signature

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

Sounds good, apart from going that far North LOL  Once my nose pokes out the towards the end of summer, I’ll know for sure.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Dave stop being such a woosssss If I can go I will take you there so no excuse.
What emulsion and the odd Fraulein now you speaking my language.
Did any one here the latest survey from ?Researchers? that a few drinks stops Rheumatoid Arthritis so my knackered knees are because I did not drink enough and not because my belly is to big because I drank to much!
Now Black Rock sand Is a smashing place and I have spent many a holiday up there so has a special memory for me . There is one thing to take into consideration The human body is a means of turning best bitter into Welsh ale. Another tip is to buy the wellies with straps on the outside saves the shins don?t you know. No stereotypes here then.

Total Posts: 574

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Hi noo noo
As per the e-mail I will try and make it. September is a long way off and I have still to earn many browny points after being allowed 12 days in Canada…..
A bit of sheep shanking in deep darkest North Wales does sound a tad appealing I must admit. I shall add a pair of wellie boots to my shopping list.
Is it hilly behind the beach or better still are there any cliffs? I hear if you take one there they push back better….Ooohhh I love it when you moan like that raspberry

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

SHEEP DONT SURF
:shock:

“I love the smell of a holiday home in the morning”

The asylum is far more welcoming these days. Someone realised that tourists have money.

fear not “R_Andy”  :wink: there are plenty of “leisure centres” in the vicinity complete with suitable platforms of varying levels of difficulty including the grand daddy of them all - Snowdon, for those who prefer slopes and altititude.

Signature

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

Ok! 5 posts and its already got weird!

Signature

Total Posts: 315

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

A little off topic what’s the price of petrol in UK we are paying $1.33 litre and diesel is $1.50 litre.  What kind of mileage do get with your vehicles, I think we pay less then in UK but I still feel like we are being scr*(&.  :evil:

Jason

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Why do you have to spoil a good day talking about   liquid gold $2.53 per liter
most cars can get 40mp imperial gallon My van is 35 on a good day the wifes mid size car is close to 50 mpg some small cars will do more

Now no more as I have just spent $180 filling up

Total Posts: 315

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

Sorry, was just venting I guess I should stop complaining and by a hybrid or something, I guess I should only put $25 in everytime so it’ll only cost $25. 

Any wind over there, been craps east coast of canada over a week no good winds.  Just put my new pads on Mako wide looking forward to using them seemed super comfy on the ground to other ones killed my feet.

Jason

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Not a lot of wind on the south coast the last few days. There was a decent sea breeze yesterday but I was stuck at work. More of the same forecast for today so I have all my gear with me.

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

[quote author=“andy”]Not a lot of wind on the south coast the last few days. There was a decent sea breeze yesterday but I was stuck at work. More of the same forecast for today so I have all my gear with me.

Lucky for some. I’m getting twitchy, bordering on moody and even becoming attracted to DIY. For someone who has no real browny points to earn I find this behaviour most strange.

I’ll hoover the sand out of the car next. At least the weight saving should give me another 5 miles per gallon…..........................

Back on topic 3 definates (inc. me :cry: ) and 2 possibles.

Good stuff

Signature

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

I honestly couldnt have picked a better time to take a month off with a bad back and hip, after my third osteopath appt and help from Lester I am finally feeling a little like I used to!

2 weeks from now I should be in Greece punishing my two new Rise Venturis!

Guys, Lets put a list of guys hoping to make it to Wales for a sneaky autumn session, if its anything like that time last year it will be 6m’s on short lines all round I think!! sorry, I hope!

This can be the poor mans Nitinat event!

Ben

Signature

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

I will definately be a poor man after I’m back from Nitinat but I hope to make the trip to North Wales work permitting.

Are you now a converted man Ben? Rise’s as opposed to Diablo’s?

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

Ask me when I have a few hours on them, so far all i have to go by is an overpowered 30mins on a 10m rise!

Signature

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Right then just to confirm things and put names down:

Definates
Noo Noo (Colyn)
Benjamin Vine (Ben + Emma) I take Emma is coming along Ben?
Sunrise (Richard)

Possibles
Andy
Vpas (Dave)
1 other.

Signature

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

I should think I could get at least 1 if not a few more from the beach if the forcast is good
Richard

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

It will be either me and Em or me and my friend Et who rides OR!

Or just me! Or maybe me and Big Z, Aka Curly, Aka John Zimmerman!

I have no idea when he will be here but Kevin let slip he is coming this way autumn time!! Anyone else heard this??

Ben

Also allow in for Harry aka Ginger Pubes, he can drive now

Signature

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

[quote author=“Benjamin Vine”]It will be either me and Em or me and my friend Et who rides OR!

Or just me! Or maybe me and Big Z, Aka Curly, Aka John Zimmerman!

I have no idea when he will be here but Kevin let slip he is coming this way autumn time!! Anyone else heard this??

:shock: That would be something. Good to meet the the “Great Curly One” in person

[quote author=“Benjamin Vine”]Also allow in for Harry aka Ginger Pubes, he can drive now

Defo Fire risk there then raspberry

I will need a better idea of numbers as we get closer as we are booking camping spots (for everyone) next to the beach and a discount is available. So that side will be sorted for everyone.

Big word of advice while driving in N Wales. DONT BREAK THE SPEED LIMIT. They are stupid hot on speeding up here. Sneak into all sorts of little corners and zap you.

Signature

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

[quote author=“noo noo”]Big word of advice while driving in N Wales. DONT BREAK THE SPEED LIMIT. They are stupid hot on speeding up here. Sneak into all sorts of little corners and zap you.

I guess there’s not a lot else for them to do, with such a low crime rate.

Are there any B&Bs; nearby?  I don’t have a tent, and therefore don’t really do camping.

Signature

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

I slept in my van that time last year it wasnt that bad, Im praying tig going to be sweet conditions. Its always a bit borderline when that close to proper wintertime!

Signature

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Guys

Count me in raspberry My shift pattern means that I’m rest days Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun so if it’s just me then I could camp and make an extra long weekend out of it. Failing that it’ll be a family weekend in a local hostelry :!:

Assuming I get back OK from Nitinat and don’t get shafted by a grizzly or my arse bitten by a wolf :!:

The sheep are definately a bit more appealing than that :?

andy

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

[quote author=“andy”]

The sheep are definately a bit more appealing than that :?

andy

really.  :shock:  Welsh sheep bite and can give a nasty head butt when provoked.

Cool you can make it Andy.

Vpas. There are loads of B&B’s and stuff in the area and cheap tent shops too. There’s even a big caravan park. It might offer caravans for rent. I honestly dont know though.

Signature

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Would you share a tent with a chap who uses “shafted, Ass, Wolf “in 1 sentence? I believe he has a close friend called Roger and carries a large truncheon whilst allowing his policeman?s helmet to be in full view.
Yes its old but appropriate .
Wales where men are men and sheep are nervous

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

LOL

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 349

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

i’ll see what i can do ....... but you lot scare me :shock:

raspberry

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2006-03-03

PM

Would love to make the road trip but asked the wifey and she gave me “that look” with an eyebrow raised and I lack bottle, so no.

Besides, you lot combined with beer and sheep make me nervous. :D

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

Noo, can you hook us up with any fit goats? Im not really a sheep kinda guy!

Signature

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

[quote author=“Benjamin Vine”]Noo, can you hook us up with any fit goats? Im not really a sheep kinda guy!

Indeed i can Ben.  :shock:
A few miles down the road is a place called Llanbedr. turn left in the high street and follw the road right up into the valley. At the very top of the valley there are wild goats. Now these are your wild beasties not your average day farmed critter.

really big horns (handles :shock: ) and more than a little promiscuous as the numbers need to be controlled every now and then.  :wink:

Suit you :?:

Small update
Camping will cost about £5 a night with an extra £2 for a hook up. Beach was about £3 to drive your car on.

Popularity seems to be growing so we are going to organise a meeting with the local authorities to make sure all is ok.
There are also plans for some T Shirts and stuff by the sounds of it.
I think we will also be asking for some small donations to “improve leisure facilities”. No we’re actually looking at the RNLI for donantions as there is a small station on the next beach.

Signature

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Looking to try to make it over there for this event boys!

JZ

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Excellent news John-Don’t forget to pack your Wellies :!:

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2008-05-14

PM

I think I can make it too… should be a chuckle! x

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2007-09-12

PM

Aw nuts!

Just when I thought I could go I remembered I had a mate’s wedding in the US… which reminds me, I need to book some flights.

Hope it’s a good one!

Joined 2008-06-23

PM

Hello All

Thank you for showing your interest. For people wishing to attent the event please contact me for booking a pitch or if your a maybe, so i can keep a handle on numbers attending. New website http://www.Vansurf.co.uk is now up and will be updated Soon with lots more details.

Come and Join the fun..

Rob

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

Bangbus, The coolest name ever!

Signature

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Hi Rob

Welcome dude. Sent you some emails between myself and a couple of the guys.

Signature

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

bangbus

I’ve pm’d you dude :!:

andy

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

do I qualify?

I once put in an engine on a ‘71 VW bus. Do I qualify for the event?
I would like to come so I will start negotiating with my wife… I have no van of my own but it so happens that my wifes family imports VWs and they have a few misc. Vans and cars that shareholders can borrow.

What can you tell me about the surf area itself? Any reason to believe it is one of the best spots in Northern Europe? Otherwise it is a long drive…

Kirk

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Hello Kirk

No van needed but that’s where the event started from. Bangbus is into VW’s and realised that a lot people he knew in those circles kiteboarded, windsurfed or surfed. So he decided to put together a weekend at one of our favourite spots. He asked me if OR could help.

“TIME TO GET THE CREW TOGETHER”  8)

So all are welcome.

Morfa Bychan (Black Rock Sands) has a bit of everything for kiters. In the kite area shown on the website map there are a mixture of lagoons and shallow butter flat water in the estuary. Venture a little further out or elsewhere and there are some ok waves which on certain states of the tide clean up into reasonable sets. A decent swell will be needed for the surfers mind. It’s not really known as a surfers beach. If big waves is your thing then Porth Neigwl (Hells Mouth :twisted: ) near Abersoch is for you. Very popular surf spot and a little over half an hours drive away. I’ve seen some pretty big surf on the coast further south too so that may be an option weather permitting.

For info on Hells Mouth and other N Wales surf spots check out http://www.magicseaweed.com

I’d negotiate and keep an eye on the forecast I reckon

Signature

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

bangbus/noo noo

I’m interested in a pitch for this event. Likely to be just me and not the family.

Anymore details on the camp site :?: 

Is this request enough for you to reserve me a pitch :?:

andy

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Certainly is.

I’ll get in touch with Rob (Bangbus).

By the way guys have apeak at the website. http://www.vansurf.co.uk

Should be an Ocean Rodeo update on there soon. JZ’s done the business again.

Big Thanks John

Signature

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

hello all

this event is still on - and growing. Can those who haven’t please drop me a PM if you are coming. I need to confirm numbers for the camp site along with what your sleeping in - van / tent / bin bag etc.

Cheers

PS check out the website now. Sweet update

Signature

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Awesome smile I’ve e-mailled you dude. Please respond regarding B&B/hostelry as I’m likely to bring my wife and two boys. Her indoors won’t do camping in September rolleyes

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Look like the crew from my local beach are on their way all wind dependant of course Getting bigger all the time.
Col leash posted

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

this is starting to get a little exciting. Hoping we get some wind now.

toying with the idea of dragging my BBQ up there. great big thing so we can have a crew barbi.

thanks Richard. Saved me again

make sure they either give me a shout or Rob via http://www.vansurf.co.uk

Signature

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

If John can bring the girls from knicker elastic It will be stunning

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

Booked Friday and Monday off work so hoping to arrive early friday morning.

Will anyone be on it early so we can get some full sessions in on the new gear before any demos etc.. I will be taking my 08 gear too and an 08 demo 8M rise so if Z isnt there by then we can always still get one in!

Also, are we going to talk about this on UK forums? Think we should, I have no idea how big or small this is going to be, I suppose its very much down to weather on the day but hey!

Getting well excited, not so much about the 5.5hr drive but hey!

Ben

How many confirmed kiters is it now?

Signature

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

I’m definitely going (barring any disaster).  Haven’t worked out my days yet, but I should be there for Friday also.  I’ll look for you in your pink harness.

Signature

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

Ok what numebrs are we looking at for kiting now?

Signature

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

I still need to work out my schedule for the trip but the flights are booked and I will be there certainly for the saturday / sunday if not the Frday too.

John Z

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

[quote author=“Johnz”]I still need to work out my schedule for the trip but the flights are booked and I will be there certainly for the saturday / sunday if not the Frday too.

John Z

Cool John

Its probably worth aiming to travel up on the Friday if possible. Make a full day of it on the Saturday. Got a felling there will be a few of us about on Friday.

Signature

Joined 2008-06-23

PM

well the numbers so far and these are very rough figures:

35 VW campers
8 campers other
14 tents

possibly 100+ people :shock:

I will be there Friday around 2 ish if all goes to plan.
See you guy there.

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

Cheers Bangbus.

Whats the rule with bbq’s etc on the beach?

Ben

Heres hoping for the weather hey!

Signature

Joined 2008-06-23

PM

BBqs ok but open fires are a no no. bbq’s at the campsite ok, but must be on bricks, campsite will provide.

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Guys I’m thinking of dragging my ex bib big BBQ up there. 55 Gal drum type. I’ll keep you posted.

Signature

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

My days are worked out.  I’m in a B&B on Thu, Fri & Sat, so will be on the beach Friday morning, waiting for JZ to turn up with some fresh 10m Rises and a couple of Mako Wides. :D

Signature

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

It’ll be just only me-as my little one would say. I have a tent lined up and I’m flexible as to when I arrive but’ll be planning on arriving early Friday morning to make the most of the day.

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

i cant make it, ive been roped into working at the southampton boat show :shock:

but have a good ‘un all!! in there next meetup… maybe we could try and all do the first BKSA course race event next year, completely swamp the entries :D anyone with a mako and a rise stands a very good chance!

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Harry you light weight…You could have sampled my cooking (or Richard’s for that matter :( )

Anyone up for doing cooked breakfasts to start us off on the right foot each morning :?:

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

Harry you fag, I always knew with hair like that you had to be privelaged!

Signature

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

my poncy hair has no correlation to my sexuality thankyou!

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

harry please tell me the only Mullets on the water are the fishy type. It’s not been reborn has it?  :shock:

[quote author=“andy”]

Anyone up for doing cooked breakfasts to start us off on the right foot each morning :?:

Could do. pending peoples tolerence levels to charcol :wink:

Let me get myself organised over the next couple of days and I’ll post what I can provide.

Signature

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

naaah mullet free zone here..  raspberry

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Ok not long now and praying for decent wind.

I’ve got my BBQ so if people are willing to risk it and chip in I’ll get a feast going in the evenings. Let me know!

Similarly, I can do a few bits for breakfast on the old camping stove.

Signature

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Count me in noo noo

andy sick

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Probably 3 or 4 from South Devon if the weather is right

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

I hope this wind situation changes!

Signature

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

andy - 21 August 2008 02:24 PM

Awesome smile I’ve e-mailled you dude. Please respond regarding B&B;/hostelry as I’m likely to bring my wife and two boys. Her indoors won’t do camping in September rolleyes

noo noo I need B&B;details as it’ll be me and the family coming up early Saturday morning. I will need a room for Saturday night. Can you help?

andy

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

List emailed Andy. Hope you find something and can still make it.

Forecast has really let us down people. Winds aren’t looking clever at all.

I’ll still be there helping Rob (Bangbus) out and doing what we can.

For those that still fancy coming (understandable if you back out) there will be a convoy meeting on the A5 near Shrewsbury at 1200hrs Friday. I’ll get some more details shortly.

Also, the Noo Noo Charcol factory (BBQ) will be in operation over the weekend for those who fancy a real extreme sport.

Signature

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Thanks for the accomodation list noo noo. Looking into it as I speak. Shame about the wind. Will have to get my fill here on the south coast on Thursday and Friday then the withdrawal symptoms will not be too bad sick

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Benjamin Vine - 17 September 2008 08:13 AM

I hope this wind situation changes!

I think it’s swinging westerly and may be promising. Everything is crossed. We are stopping in a caravan on Greenacres (Haven site) from Saturday morning.

andy

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

yes winds have decided to swing around to a more favourable SW. But I think we still need more Puff.

good stuff on the caravan Andy. Chances are there’s more for the family there. Plenty if you pop out in the car.

Signature

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

Great time had by all I reckon.  Thanks to Bangbus & noo noo for organising.
Roll on next year’s event.

Signature

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

We had an excellent time in such a beautiful place, thanks to everyone for turning up and to Colyn for not giving us food poisoning. Heres to Vansurf 2009, nice one Rob/Colyn!

The Canadian wanderer is currently flying home!

Ben & Emma

Signature

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Thanks guys. Was a great weekend - shame there wan’t enough wind though. Guessing we could have doubled the amount of people at the event had the wind showed up. Typically it did the day after and its blowing mental today.

bring on Vansurf 2009. We’re already thinking about it. More photos to follow too.

Signature

Joined 2008-06-23

PM

A BIG thank you to all the OR guy for coming to the first VanSurf event and helping us raise money for the RLNI.

Plans are now afoot for Vansurf 2009, and hopefuly with OR support we will make it a bigger event a raise more money, and maybe get some time on the water to wink

See you next year

Cheers

Rob