6m rise?

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2008-10-27

PM

how is it? esp. in lower winds with a surfboard? never bought a kite this small before, is it like flying a stunt kite smile will it go well with a 10m?

cheers!

Signature

‘09 Rise 6m, ‘08 Rise 10m, ‘07 Session Harness, ‘04 Pyro Suit

Total Posts: 572

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

dors

The 6m Rise will be just the ticket along with the 10m. Especially if you are a lighter weight rider. The ‘09 Rise 6m has been slightly refined and is now less twitchy than it’s predecessor.It is my quiver at 64 kilos. The power of the 6m coupled with it’s super low end will work very well with a surf board.

andy

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

The 09 6m is a sick kite, especially with a surfboard. Fast, but stable and with excellent low end grunt. It’s my go to kite 50% off the time.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

Funnily enough, my most sued kite last year was a 6m rise and thats in the UK!!

Its versatile and the perfect partner to a 10m if your say up to 75kgs maybe a bit less, I am like 65kgs.

Ben

Signature

http://www.oceanrodeokites.co.uk

RIPPING UP THE OCEAN RODEO GEAR IN THE UK!!!!

Total Posts: 75

Joined 2007-04-23

PM

same here! 6 and 10 combo in 08 was the ticket for gorge and oregon coast. 6 was always more fun than 10.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2008-11-02

PM

I am 90kilos and am thinking of the 6m Rise as my second kite, even as low as a 4m, but that might be too small. I have read lots about people my size riding with 4m and working fine. Where I ride a 10m is perfect, but on days when the wind picks up, I need something smaller, or I will end up blown into the North Sea.

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

At 90 kilos I would have thought that the 6m would be the smallest you would need.

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2008-09-16

PM

Man I wish we had enough wind for me to think that a 6m might just be too big! If it’s blowing that hard around here, a hurricane is coming through.

Signature

Shane
http://www.MASSkiting.com
Boston Area Kite Community
Ocean Rodeo Crew

Total Posts: 75

Joined 2007-04-23

PM

i have a 08 6m rise in great shape for $450 if your interested?

Joined 2008-10-27

PM

Well I got the new ‘09 6m. Had two sessions on it so far in 15-20mph and both have been excellent. Very impressed with the kite - heaps of low end, and no stalling at all. Smokes upwind, feels like it’ll make a good combo with the 10m. Highly recommended - small kites rock - makes the 10m feel like a truck :D

Signature

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

You lucky swine dors, I’m still waiting for mine to be delivered.

Could do with it today as the wind is strong and I only have a 12 Diablo at the mo. No action for me today downer

Did you test the low end of the 6?

andy

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

I went out on an 08 6m today after the 10 m Wind speed was in the low 30s. Unreal kite for speed and waves. The grunt from such a small kite is fantastic . Only down side I found was jumping It is toooooo twitchy I must use my 40cm bar in future. Anyone lighter than my 90kg in lighter wind is going to be so impressed with this kite. I am told the 09 is even better. I find this hard to believe unless it is a little slower for old men like me.

Joined 2008-10-27

PM

Any tips on solo launching this thing on land, and water relaunching in lower winds ~15-20knt?

Using the same standard SLE techinque as for the 2008 10m Rise, which comes up fine. The 2009 6m so far just doesn’t seem to want to - small kites are usually easier, so I must be doing something fundamentally wrong -  2 swims in in past 2 weeks and that’s never happened to me before in 10 years of kitesurfing!!!

I bought this kite for the surf, so if it deosn’t relaunch fast it is useless to me.

Talk me through it, step by step from scratch.

Signature

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Dude, not sure what to suggest…..the 6m pretty much relaunches itself if there’s enough wind for it to fly. The only possibility is that maybe you are choking it by over sheeting? Let the bar go out to an arm’s length and then pull an outside line.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Joined 2008-10-27

PM

yep, with the kite pretty much straight downwind?

this is what i am doing. just like the 10m.

the wingtip rises a few feet of the ground/water and stays put, pull in anymore and the kite amost starts to flag out. it really sucks.

Signature

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2007-09-24

PM

The only time I’ve had that happen is in cold water - ie early spring just after the ice is gone.  The bladder sort of goes flat and the kite can’t get far enough to the edge of the wind window to come out of the water.  Usually I eventually get lucky and a gust or wave flips it over, although once now I’ve needed a rescue “flip” from a buddy.  It has happened to me on both the 08 12m and 8m.  In the warm water, never had a problem.

Don’t know if that’s a factor or not; the other thing would be how full the bladder is initially.

Ryan