Centerline breaking!

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2008-05-24

PM

...I have approx 25 sessions on the 2008 Rise and had the center line snap today for no apparent reason.
I havent seen any undue wear on the line, especially since its relatively new.  (purchased the kite about 3 months
ago new)  Unfortunately, close to a mile offshore which made for a long swim in high seas.  I was
lucky that the kite came ashore to another group of kiters who recovered the kite and bar.  The metal insert in the bar
feels smooth with no jagged edges which perplexes me how the line could break.  Anyone had similar experience with the
centerline breaking?  Also, any chance being that new it is covered under warranty?  Absolutely loving the Rise, but
this is a little disconcerting for new equipment…....

Total Posts: 315

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

Contact Kevin or JohnZ they’ll sort you out guaranteed may have to wait till Monday.  I’ve never had that problems and with the 09 bar with heavier lines should be even better.  Be patient I’m sure they’ll replace the broken part for you.

Jason

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

They do go from time to time . Yours has worn way to early. It is worth checking that the centre hole is in line with the horns on the end of the bar.
Pull on the back lines and the hole in the bar should be parallel to the back lines.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2006-11-16

PM

I’m surprised that your kite got away from you.
It just shows again that you HAVE TO connect your leach to one of the front lines.

Joined 2008-05-24

PM

....you “HAVE TO connect to front line”??  Please explain….The Ocean Rodeo bar set-up is such that the centerline
has such a long throw to where the front lines attach it precludes connecting to a front line…

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2008-02-15

PM

Maybe a knot? I carry a second leash if I have to attach it to the second center line if the kite becomes to jumpy.

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Sorry to hear about your swim, but the trim line should be replaced periodically as part of routine maintenance. This item is subject to normal wear due to friction, and there are several variables affecting how long it lasts. The best thing you can do to prolong it’s longevity is to keep your bar free of sand by thoroughly dunking it in the water the minute you get off the beach. Some get 2 months out out of a trim line, some two years. Your retailer can supply you with a kit we offer (MSRP $25 USD) that includes everything you need to quickly and easily change it out. I recommend everyone keep a spare on hand unless you have a back-up bar. It’s easy to see by visual inspection when the line should be changed - fuzzy lines are okay, but if you see broken or nearly broken strands and you’re worried about a swim then swap it out! The part of the line typically in and out of the cleat is subject to the most wear.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-11-15

PM

The 1st line always wears pretty fast. (25 sessions is not that fast imo) Your 2nd centerline will last longer as everything in the insert is smoother. If you want the centerline to hold out WAY longer than simply rub some sexwax (every 4 sessions) over the part where your bar travels a lot up to the point where you normally put your stopper.

Leash of to 1 front-line? That would not be an option for most of us as this setup is not spinable. Just replace your centerline before it is about to snap. Costs are low and can save you a lot of trouble. Like evan says, it is easy to see by visual inspection.

Joined 2008-05-24

PM

Thanks for the response Evan.  I am fortunate enough to live on the beach so i wash my bar with fresh water after every session. I visually inspect my equipment before each session but must have missed the frayed line.  Guess i was just unfortunate to have the line snap kiting far offshore which normally i dont do. 
Regarding replacement, since it has to be changed out, do you offer the 09 chicken loop and stopper slider as an upgrade?
Thanks
.....attaching to front line is not an option for me as well

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Yeah, in SF we’re all pretty prudent about changing our trim lines…...getting ebbed out the Gate into the fog and the shipping lanes is not a desirable experience!

We will have an 09 upgrade kit available in a few weeks, but this will only be available to those customers/retailers that opted to take their early 09 kite orders with 08 bars.

Don’t bother with leashing to the front line.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2008-05-14

PM

On a slightly different note… I had to re-thread my centre line early on as a knot came undone.  It turned out to be a very difficult process as it took ages to squeeze/ push the line through the various parts of the bar.  It took Andy and I a couple of hours and some very sore fingers.  Is there any easy way?  Mine probably needs replacing but I’ve been holding off because of that last experience.  I’m almost tempted to just buy a new bar instead!  Any tips would be much appreciated.

Karen x

Total Posts: 574

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Don’t worry Karen my fingers recovered pretty quickly. My ‘5 minute jobs’ always take a lot longer than anticipated. Order up yourself a new centre line and we’ll get your bar up to scratch in a jiffy eh? Afterall I’d hate you to end up with a long swim

andy

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-10-20

PM

WAX WAX WAX WAX WAX - WAX your Centreline…....................... Makes it last at least 100 % longer.

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Karen & Andy : The ‘trick’ to replacing the chicken loop is to taper a piece of tuct tape or similar (sticky &strong;) ~ 1.5 inches in a cone shape @ the end of the line ... Push it through the stopper etc & pull it out the other side with pliers if req’d. ...  When your done leave ample line @ the tied end so it doesn’t untie under load ...

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2008-05-24

PM

Thanks for all the replies.  Can anyone suggest where to order the centerline with slider stopper for the 2008 bar?

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

http://oceanrodeo.com/kiting/support/contact_ocean_rodeo/

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Any authorized retailer can get it for you if they don’t have it in stock. Where are you located?

http://www.oceanrodeo.com/kiting/find-a-dealer

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 98

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

Thanks for the trim line “breaking” information. I love my Rise’s but on my recent ‘09 purchase’s I opted for the Slingshot direct drive bar (on the Rev’s) because of the ability to hook your leash to one of the front lines below the bar. They have a great system that in my opinion should be an industry standard. If your trim line breaks you are still leashed safely to one of the front lines. You can spin the bar with no interference. OR please check it out and consider that improvement on your bar, I hate buying from the competition! I love my new Rise’s….
Pete

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

The SS set up is pretty slick but there are two distinct disadvantages due to the added complications it presents. 1) Be very careful putting too many spins in the lines, and 2) many users have complained that the trim line wears out super fast because of the limited tolerance. Perhaps though they have addressed the problem with the 09 version.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 97

Joined 2007-10-02

PM

Karen - 02 November 2008 07:23 PM

On a slightly different note… I had to re-thread my centre line early on as a knot came undone.  It turned out to be a very difficult process as it took ages to squeeze/ push the line through the various parts of the bar.  It took Andy and I a couple of hours and some very sore fingers.  Is there any easy way?  Mine probably needs replacing but I’ve been holding off because of that last experience.  I’m almost tempted to just buy a new bar instead!  Any tips would be much appreciated.

Karen x

I use cloth hockey tape. Its very strong when trying to pull on it. Takes about 5 minutes to re-thread the entire chicken loop. Just wrap it on the very end of the rope and then make a tail with the extra. Then just pull as hard as you can on the tail with some pliers. I think the “official” kit comes with some sort of fancy sail tape.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2007-11-08

PM

My center line broke both with my 2008 and 2009 kites. In order to prevent this one more time I changed my center line today.

It turned out to be a very painful process as it took ages to squeeze and push the line through the various parts of the bar, especially the stopper. It must be a better way because it took me 2 hours, lots of tools, and some very sore fingers, and red marks on my hands.

I ordered replacement lines from my local dealer, it has been at least 5 weeks now, back order from OR, still not received yet. That is not right!

I love my 2008 and 2009 RISE kites (10-14).

The reason it breaks is because the center lines rub the metal within the bar hole…and after a while it starts threading…and breaking…

Best,

Bruno

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Hi Bruno,

Sorry to hear about your troubles, and I apologize for the delay getting these to your retailer. With regards to install, they are very simple and easy to install, and the only tools required are a pair of scissors (and sometimes a pair of pliers). Please give Max a call and he can explain how it is done for you. You can also call me directly if you like. It should only take few minutes to do the job.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

The replacement has some extra tape on the rope end wich works as an needle / guiding wire for the actual rope. very easy install.

About waxing…
perhaps waxing the part were the bar slides works, but be very carefull. I’ve waxed my first rope (like I waxed all my depower ropes so it lasts for ever. really it does) but the complete OR below the bar depower and sliding stopper system is not ment to be waxed.. it will make depowering and adjusting the stopper very difficult.
With my replacement rope all works very easy, all with one hand. so think twice when waxing the rope.
Yes the rope gets eaten (too) quick . I’ve tried some dry lubricant but you have to spray it very often, so I think a replacement rope is cheaper.
Anyone tried other lubricants? (and still the depower system works easy)

Maybe is a dicounted 5-pack depower-rope an option.. wink

Regards,
Arjan

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2006-04-18

PM

Wax and wax often.  Keep some in your board shorts if it helps you remember. You won’t believe the difference.

When threading a replacement line I have found that the kite repair patches that come with the kites make the best tape for threading.  Just cut enough of the patch off and make certain you leave enough of tail (pure tape) that you can easily thread the whole thing through.  Use pliers too.

Used to take me forever, now less than 3 minutes. 

Don’t recommend duct tape, packaging tape appears to work ok though.

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2009-03-16

PM

Did anyone ever see the Takoon bar?? it has a piece of plastic tubing stuck in the hole in the center of the bar.The centerline passaes through this tubing and so dosent touch the bar meaning literally no wear and tear on the centre line, and no need for waxing.

cOULD BE AN IDEA FOR THE next bar!!???

P.s. I love my rises too,, THEY ROCK11!!!!!

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2008-02-06

PM

Hi Lago!
A question for you, Why did you dump your kite?
You need to know that it is still possible to save your kite “and people around you ” when the front lines break. It happened to me last year and I was able to roll one back line on the bar and make it to the kite. That was good body building to do it , but it worked. The wind was 25 to 30 knots side off. I was on a 10m Rise. (the knot next to the loop came off, whatch for this also)

-I still can’t understand why your line broke if there was no apparent wear though!

Joined 2008-05-24

PM

Believe me Earlybird, didnt wont to “dump” my kite.  After completing a huge jump on the Rise, the centerline
snapped so quickly that the bar was yanked out of my hands leaving only the chicken loop on my harness hook with
the safety leash attached.  Agree with everyone regarding replacement anytime you see fraying…. and on my new
bar have begun waxing about every fourth session with much less wear.

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2008-02-06

PM

I can understand. Scary those lines , may be we should try to find another material.
I will order new ones today .

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2006-01-17

PM

I must be doing something wrong… I’ve never had an issue with my trim lines wearing excessively.  First, second trim line?? 
I ride in the Ocean a couple / few months of the year and then fresh the rest of the year (with very little sand), wondering if that’s the difference.

AHHHHH… somethig that did happen to me that sounds very familiar is the “spinner” breaking under load (landing a jump, submerging slightly and loading up the kite)... the bar shot up all the way to the pulley and snapped in half on impact, which fully released the kite and I was sitting there wondering WTF happend!!  Another interesting point is that the pulley housing (metal) then cut part way through the trim line (that was left attached to the chicken loop and myself)... not incomprehensible to think that the metal pulley housing could cut clear through the trim line.
But then you mentioned just replacing your trim line and heading out… so after typing all that… I’m still amazed that your trim broke without being very apparently worn.
For the record, I’m 95 kg / 210lbs and have come to grips with the fact that breaking gear occasionally is to be expected.

Cheers, and good winds,
Jeff

Signature

Jeff Doepker
www.kitesource.ca

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

I log about 250 sessions/year, all at sandy beaches…..I use two bars for the duration and typically only have to replace a trim line on one of them, which I tend to use more than the other. I do two simple things to make my trim lines last.

1) Rinse it in fresh water after every use.

2) Clear as much sand from you trim line before you launch the kite and walk out to the water, and don’t beach fly anymore than you need to get in the water - once you’re there, dunk your bar thoroughly to clear the sand off.

Most people wear through trim lines prematurely because they launch with a sandy bar and ride around grinding through it until the first crash wipes it clean.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2008-09-25

PM

I have heard it all now. OR trim lines break unwaxed. I would break one every 30 days or so before waxing. I’ve gone 6 mo w/o a breakage now. I had an almost new w/ just a tiny tiny wear spot, it broke. This is the achilles heel of the 2008 bar and must be watched. Inspect all lines b4 going, especially this trim line! Carry an extra. The rest of the bar is great, but the way it is set up, if the trim line breaks, the whole rig is going to fly away, plus you will loose the (useless) beads above the safety release intended to straighten the chicken loop for hooking back in and the stopper. If you break the line be sure to get these three little plastic pieces replaces as well. When you install like others have said, use some cone shaped hockey tape to thread the trim line through the little holes, and don’t forget to trim the excess. Check that there is not corrosion in the hole in the bar.

I rinse after launching and after use.

Pink

Signature

Have fun out there!