1 of 2
Centerline breaking!
Posted: 31 October 2008 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2008-05-24

...I have approx 25 sessions on the 2008 Rise and had the center line snap today for no apparent reason.
I havent seen any undue wear on the line, especially since its relatively new.  (purchased the kite about 3 months
ago new)  Unfortunately, close to a mile offshore which made for a long swim in high seas.  I was
lucky that the kite came ashore to another group of kiters who recovered the kite and bar.  The metal insert in the bar
feels smooth with no jagged edges which perplexes me how the line could break.  Anyone had similar experience with the
centerline breaking?  Also, any chance being that new it is covered under warranty?  Absolutely loving the Rise, but
this is a little disconcerting for new equipment…....

Posted: 01 November 2008 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  315
Joined  2006-04-02

Contact Kevin or JohnZ they’ll sort you out guaranteed may have to wait till Monday.  I’ve never had that problems and with the 09 bar with heavier lines should be even better.  Be patient I’m sure they’ll replace the broken part for you.

Jason

Signature 

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Posted: 01 November 2008 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  462
Joined  2006-06-15

They do go from time to time . Yours has worn way to early. It is worth checking that the centre hole is in line with the horns on the end of the bar.
Pull on the back lines and the hole in the bar should be parallel to the back lines.

Posted: 01 November 2008 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-11-16

I’m surprised that your kite got away from you.
It just shows again that you HAVE TO connect your leach to one of the front lines.

Posted: 01 November 2008 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-24

....you “HAVE TO connect to front line”??  Please explain….The Ocean Rodeo bar set-up is such that the centerline
has such a long throw to where the front lines attach it precludes connecting to a front line…

Posted: 01 November 2008 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2008-02-15

Maybe a knot? I carry a second leash if I have to attach it to the second center line if the kite becomes to jumpy.

Posted: 02 November 2008 04:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2006-01-11

Sorry to hear about your swim, but the trim line should be replaced periodically as part of routine maintenance. This item is subject to normal wear due to friction, and there are several variables affecting how long it lasts. The best thing you can do to prolong it’s longevity is to keep your bar free of sand by thoroughly dunking it in the water the minute you get off the beach. Some get 2 months out out of a trim line, some two years. Your retailer can supply you with a kit we offer (MSRP $25 USD) that includes everything you need to quickly and easily change it out. I recommend everyone keep a spare on hand unless you have a back-up bar. It’s easy to see by visual inspection when the line should be changed - fuzzy lines are okay, but if you see broken or nearly broken strands and you’re worried about a swim then swap it out! The part of the line typically in and out of the cleat is subject to the most wear.

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Posted: 02 November 2008 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2006-11-15

The 1st line always wears pretty fast. (25 sessions is not that fast imo) Your 2nd centerline will last longer as everything in the insert is smoother. If you want the centerline to hold out WAY longer than simply rub some sexwax (every 4 sessions) over the part where your bar travels a lot up to the point where you normally put your stopper.

Leash of to 1 front-line? That would not be an option for most of us as this setup is not spinable. Just replace your centerline before it is about to snap. Costs are low and can save you a lot of trouble. Like evan says, it is easy to see by visual inspection.

Posted: 02 November 2008 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-24

Thanks for the response Evan.  I am fortunate enough to live on the beach so i wash my bar with fresh water after every session. I visually inspect my equipment before each session but must have missed the frayed line.  Guess i was just unfortunate to have the line snap kiting far offshore which normally i dont do. 
Regarding replacement, since it has to be changed out, do you offer the 09 chicken loop and stopper slider as an upgrade?
Thanks
.....attaching to front line is not an option for me as well

Posted: 02 November 2008 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2006-01-11

Yeah, in SF we’re all pretty prudent about changing our trim lines…...getting ebbed out the Gate into the fog and the shipping lanes is not a desirable experience!

We will have an 09 upgrade kit available in a few weeks, but this will only be available to those customers/retailers that opted to take their early 09 kite orders with 08 bars.

Don’t bother with leashing to the front line.

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Posted: 02 November 2008 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-05-14

On a slightly different note… I had to re-thread my centre line early on as a knot came undone.  It turned out to be a very difficult process as it took ages to squeeze/ push the line through the various parts of the bar.  It took Andy and I a couple of hours and some very sore fingers.  Is there any easy way?  Mine probably needs replacing but I’ve been holding off because of that last experience.  I’m almost tempted to just buy a new bar instead!  Any tips would be much appreciated.

Karen x

Posted: 02 November 2008 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  571
Joined  2006-10-06

Don’t worry Karen my fingers recovered pretty quickly. My ‘5 minute jobs’ always take a lot longer than anticipated. Order up yourself a new centre line and we’ll get your bar up to scratch in a jiffy eh? Afterall I’d hate you to end up with a long swim

andy

Signature 

andy

Dorset UK

Posted: 02 November 2008 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2007-10-20

WAX WAX WAX WAX WAX - WAX your Centreline…....................... Makes it last at least 100 % longer.

Signature 

Kitejunkiee.com

Posted: 03 November 2008 02:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  505
Joined  2006-01-19

Karen & Andy : The ‘trick’ to replacing the chicken loop is to taper a piece of tuct tape or similar (sticky &strong;) ~ 1.5 inches in a cone shape @ the end of the line ... Push it through the stopper etc & pull it out the other side with pliers if req’d. ...  When your done leave ample line @ the tied end so it doesn’t untie under load ...

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Posted: 03 November 2008 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-24

Thanks for all the replies.  Can anyone suggest where to order the centerline with slider stopper for the 2008 bar?

Posted: 03 November 2008 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  505
Joined  2006-01-19

http://oceanrodeo.com/kiting/support/contact_ocean_rodeo/

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

1 of 2