weight of a mako 140X40

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2008-10-05

PM

can anybody give me the weight ( in kg please if poss.) of a Mako 140x40?
Thx
Cheers

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Hi,

3874 gram, with wet straps.
Will measure again when it is dry.

Last sunday i had a blast again, what a board!
Was with my 13mP3 (FS)
The board pops nicely to switch and back, kiteloops (pussy downloops.. wink ) no prob. Even made a real kiteloop witch yanked me out of the water, landing was a bit stiff… rider error (need to absorb more with the knee’s)
Rotations are better then with the 150. Carving rocks, flat or waves. Speechless.

This board is the best one board solution.

Regards,
Arjan

Joined 2008-10-05

PM

Hi Arjan,
Thx for the reply, well if dry it is not going to make a huge difference…
I understand it is not that obvious to order a board that you never have seen nor tried…but my feeling says I cannot go wrong…( I do hope so!!) I am not into looping or whatever, as written in another thread here in this forum , I am looking for a board which does not ruine my old knees, that has a smooth ride and a nice smooth carve in our little Bdam waves if any are there, but also is fun carving in flat water.

My idea is to use it with my 15m FS SpeedĀ² when the lightwind board ( spleen door 59) becomes too big, and or to use it with my 11m Ozone instinct sportII ( which has a wide range.

I understand the Mako has some good rocker which makes it feel smaller although it is 140 long, I hope to ride it with my 11m up to some 25 knots max?

Have fun!!
Season greetings and a good 2009!
Frank

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Hi Frank,
I ordered my Mako 150 at reviews only..
after my experience with the 150 I didn’t even doubt in ordering a 140. The 150 is great but for me the 140 is better.
Don’t think that 25 kts with your 11 will be a problem (depending your weight and season) Had my 150 in 35+wind with my 6m and 20 kts with my 13 in hot winds. In cold winds I would not consider going out with a 13 and 20 kts, I’ll take the 8 or 6 then !!

Order the board, 140.

Now!

(If your 13th month salary is still available..)

wink

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

It’s dry now..

3828 gram

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2008-12-11

PM

Up til Nov 2007 I thought the MAKO was a weird looking board that was to long to be of any kind of performance…..
HHHHHHAAAAAA, I borrowed it from a friend for 2 hours while in Varadero CUBA Nov 2007 , liked it…..then went back to my equipment and realized how good the mako was….....Tried the mako classic again ............went back to my equipment…........and got a MAKO Classic ASAP. I can do things I never used to do…kite loop actualy happen, back loops, crazy transitions…CONFIDENCE BUILDERS. You will be a better kiter in minutes of riding a mako.

I have ridden the Mako 150x 34 CLASSIC for one season….....wow, love this board in waves, chop, flats, surf…...it seams to do everything. Did I mention chop, smooths everything out,( easy on the knees and back) I can ride this board faster than anything I have been on, never pearls, and holds an edge hard enough to rip the kite out of the sky when super over powered.
In December, I had a chance to ride the Mako 150x 34 classic, Mako wide 150x40 and the 140x40 side by side while in Cabarate Dominican Republic ( check pics out in the OR Gallery). Here is what I, a 185 lb intermidiate rider,  found:

1-150 x 40 wide is supper comfy, planes quicker, feels bigger, than 150 classic but does not handle the overpowered as well as the classic” bounces a bit”.  the wide is perfect for riding, surf style in the break at Cabarete, almost like a surf board…but better in some ways, as you can rip into the wave, of the lip and ride slow on the face….......perfect match with the rise kites.

2- 140 x 40, feels bigger than the 150 classic, and it feels a bit flatter in rocker ????, but it definetly has more pop.

My MAKO summary..
Mako 150 x 40 wide, If you are over 200 lbs or ride under powered,  get it.
MAKO 140 x 40, if you need something shorter to fit your gear bag for air travel….....get it
MAKO 150 x 34 classic…...Fastest, most controlable, loose and full on ripping board I know…........get it
get any Mako and it will be better than anything you have ridden before….......

Joined 2008-10-05

PM

kirky - 27 December 2008 06:06 AM

Up til Nov 2007 I thought the MAKO was a weird looking board that was to long to be of any kind of performance…..
HHHHHHAAAAAA, I borrowed it from a friend for 2 hours while in Varadero CUBA Nov 2007 , liked it…..then went back to my equipment and relized how good the mako was….....Tried the again i….........went back to my equipment…........and got a MAKO Classic ASAP.. I can do things I never used to do….kite loop actualy happen, back loops, crazy transitions…CONFIDENCE BUILDERS. You will be a better kiter in minutes of ridding a mako.

I have ridden the Mako 150x 34 CLASSIC for one season….....wow, love this board in waves, chop, flats, surf…...it seams to do everything. Did I mention chop, smooths everything out,( easy on the knees and back) I can ride this board faster than anything I have been on, never pearls, and holds an edge hard enough to rip the kite out of the sky when super over powered.
In December, I had a chance to ride the Mako 150x 34 classic, Mako wide 150x40 and the 140x40 side by side while in Cabarate Dominican Republic ( check pics out in the OR Gallery). Here is what I, a 185 lb intermidiate rider,  found:

1-150 x 40 wide is supper comfy, planes quicker, feels bigger, than 150 classic but does not handle the overpowered as well as the classic” bounces a bit”.  the wide is perfect for rideng, surf style in the break at Cabarete, almost like a surf board…but better in some ways, as you can rip into the wave, of the lip and ride slow on the face….......perfect match with the rise kites.

2- 140 x 40, feels bigger than the 150 classic, and it feels a bit flatter in rocker ????, but it definetly has more pop.

My MAKO summary..
Mako 150 x 40 wide, If you are over 200 lbs or ride under powered,  get it.
MAKO 140 x 40, if you need something shorter to fit your gear bag for air travel….....get it
MAKO 150 x 34 classic…...Fastest, most controlable, loose and full on ripping board I know…........get it
get any Mako and it will be better than anything you have ridden before….......

THX Kirky
will order my MAKO 140X40 soon, am wondering if I would order a 150x40 too. as a lightwind board instead of my Spleene Door 159

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Hi Frank,
Almost nothing will beat a Door at light wind.
Keep the Door for the light stuf, and when the wind picks up just a little bit hop on the Mako.
If you got some cash left get an OR drysuit (and heater layer) and extend the season untill there is too much ice…
Regards,
Arjan

Joined 2008-10-05

PM

Janus - 27 December 2008 08:27 PM

Hi Frank,
Almost nothing will beat a Door at light wind.
Keep the Door for the light stuf, and when the wind picks up just a little bit hop on the Mako.
If you got some cash left get an OR drysuit (and heater layer) and extend the season untill there is too much ice…
Regards,
Arjan

Thx for the advice mate..
cheers
to all of you Happy newyear and a windy 2009