Review of Mako wide 140 and 150

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

AJ, welcome to the Crew!

Yes, the 150 does point higher than the 140 but I would also agree with Allan that it is possibly that you were riding with too much back foot pressure. The Mako relies on its upwind rail to grab the water and not the fins so by parking on your back foot - like you have to with all other kiteboards on the market - you lose the ability to bite and gain traction. This is really important when turning too. Drive your weight forward through the turn like a snowboard, don’t sit on the back foot.

Good luck!

John Z

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Any specials going on for a ‘09 Mako Wide 150? I may just wait until the 2010 boards come out since it sounds like the quiver will get a few additions.

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

To be honest Allan I doubt we will be forced to drop our prices much on the Makos as they are so incredibly popular. Typically we only drop our prices at the end of the season in order to recover our costs on equipment that we have an excess amount of (either due to improper forecasting or simple lack of interest in the product). As any Mako enthusiast can tell you the biggest issue we have with the Mako 150x40 and 140x40 is keeping them in stock!

News on the 2010 line of Makos is coming out next week!

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2009-02-14

PM

Johnz - 18 June 2009 04:42 PM

To be honest Allan I doubt we will be forced to drop our prices much on the Makos as they are so incredibly popular. Typically we only drop our prices at the end of the season in order to recover our costs on equipment that we have an excess amount of (either due to improper forecasting or simple lack of interest in the product). As any Mako enthusiast can tell you the biggest issue we have with the Mako 150x40 and 140x40 is keeping them in stock!

News on the 2010 line of Makos is coming out next week!

Hmmmmm…......was this meant for me or ajones?

Allen

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Yup, whoops. Ajones!

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2009-02-14

PM

Johnz - 18 June 2009 11:38 PM

Yup, whoops. Ajones!

Hehehe.  I was wondering because I already have a Mako wide 150x40.

Allen

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Yeah I think I am going to go with the Mako 140 and keep my EXT for really lightwind days. Although I guess I could wait until the new boards come out, but I really liked the ride of the 140, especially in waves/chop.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

Same here. I am going to keep my old Fone Explorer 160 for the really light wind days and my Makos for the other days. Eventually the Mako King will make it to the market. That will be worth a try.

Kirk

ajones - 27 June 2009 05:17 PM

Yeah I think I am going to go with the Mako 140 and keep my EXT for really lightwind days. Although I guess I could wait until the new boards come out, but I really liked the ride of the 140, especially in waves/chop.

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2008-02-15

PM

Ok, been on the 140 Mako Wide for 20+ sessions and last season and all winter with the 150 Mako Wide. I must say I am really digging the 140 in the river, but for the Coast with overhead waves I will only use the 150. Im thinking of removing one fin on the 150. Anyone ever ride the Mako 150 Strapless???

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Absolutely! Wax the board up a bit because it’s slippery but it does ride well strapless!

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Yeah I have a Mako 140 on the way to my house right now. I hope to get a little bit of riding in before I head to Hatteras on Friday. I’m going to use it mainly in waves and higher winds, I’ll stick to the EXT in light wind and flat water.