Mako Surf v Mako

Total Posts: 574

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

I’ve never ridden the Mako ‘Classic’ (150x34) but have experience of the smaller sized 134? It was a nice board and I rode it in the flat and in wind chop but never proper waves. Ended up purchasing a 129 Zen and have been very happy with it. Gets going really early for someone of 65 kilos though I’m not doing a lot of freestyle stuff. Want to keep it but wanted something for the waves.

Went and got myself a 2008 Mako Surf having tried a similar sized (perhaps a little wider in the mid-section)directional from another manufacturer. Have not used it a great deal, and that may be part of the problem but when I have tried to get on with it I’ve found it difficult to ride. Obviously haven’t progressed to gybing the thing yet and wondering if I should keep hold of it and persevere or to progress quicker look at another Mako?

Wondered what the crew thought-Mako Surf or one of the other Mako’s? The surf could be just the ticket and it’s great looking but having read much about the other boards I’m just wondering if it’s too advanced for me just at this moment and is holding me back?

Comments folk?

andy

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 349

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

the mako wide was pretty good when i tried it in some big waves.. i have a zen 129 and the wide mako and it makes a good combo.. as if its choppy i also ride the mako as its easier to keep speed going to boost. also has a noticable low end increase over my zen (80kgs) and carves much better If you want a go on mine youre very welcome! im heading down to boscombe in a couple of weeks to see a mate so if you bump into me you can pinch it for a few weeks?  no worries.

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Andy,

I would encourage you to log some more hours on your Surf, but make sure you are well powered. The Mako Surf doesn’t really shine unless you have plenty of power in the kite. Personally, I prefer riding it strapless unless I am in a lot of wind and big surf - this allows me to shift my positioning and stance so I am always over the sweet spot.

This being said, the Mako 140/150 Wides are the betfer option in marginal conditions and onshore/blown out conditions. Throw a 3 or 4” fin in one end and they are really gold in the waves!

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

The easiest way to get a bit of wave fun at your lack of puddings is the 140 wide. That said once cracked and with clean waves the directional surfboards come into their own.
My guess is you are finding the Mako Surf a hard unresponsive ride. This is not the board it is just where you have come from.
Directionals don’t give. You have to master them.
Well worth the effort

Total Posts: 574

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Many thanks for your replies Evan and Richard. You’ve both convinced me to pull my finger out and get some serious practice in on my Mako Surf.

Harry thanks for the offer. Let me know when you’re down this way OK?

Don’t you just love this forum!

andy

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2008-10-27

PM

I just got a mako surf and have tried it a couple times.
I stuggled with it while under powered, and trying to gybe. It was rather frustrating doing the walk of shame for the first time in many months. I later took it out when the wind kicked up and it was a whole other ball game.
I very much liked the feel and steering. I see a lot more fun to be had when I learn to gybe and when we get some strongers winds!