Opinions on buying a used 2008 Rise 12m Kite

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2009-01-30

PM

Learning strapless on a surfboard is not easier. That’s just bad advice. Get a twintip for sure, then progress to a directional board. Also don’t use a leash unless you like getting stitches. Instead learn to bodydrag upwind or best use the OR GoJoe.

On a 12m2 20mph is the limit for you. Call me if you want a good twintip price, I have OR Zens at $399

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2009-03-20

PM

Okay, I got the kite today.

Overall in very, very good condition.

Got some feedback and questions

- All materials & LE is perfect….rubber material on LE is all perfect, no scuffs.
- There are actually 3 nicely repaired areas, perfectly stiched with new kite material, largest 2x2inch area…those look good, just need to monitor stitching.
- There are also 2 areas that have a small .5x.5 in. patch on both sides of kite…the corners are peeling a little bit.  Should I trim corners or just leave this? 
- The bar has a small .1 inch slice on it… should I repair this so it doesn’t rip open more and if so, how?

All else looks perfect.  No pump was included so I pumped it up with an air compressor on low pressure setting.  Everything looks good and air is holding.

I’m going to measure out the lines tomorrow.

Now I just need a harness to go out and fly this bad boy over the weekend.

Signature

Kitesurfing Newport Beach, California

‘08 Ocean Rodeo 12m Rise - Ready to Fly!

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Great Maury, good to inspect the kite closely like that. Also have a good look at the bridle lines, especially the E2 line (short piece of thicker line where the pulley runs). If it’s fluffy and you can feel a decreased diameter, you should go about replacing this, it’s Spectra line. Also check the pulleys, for axial play, it should run smooth and all. Same for the trim loop, that’s the double line running through the bar, check for fluffiness.
The padding on the bar can be repaired with contact glue.

Be careful when flying it on land!

Joined 2009-03-20

PM

Bridle lines looking good also…some wear but doesn’t look to be too bad.  I need to find that contact glue….I’ll look around.  Thanks!

Signature

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

contact glue, neoprene cement, or the shoe repair glue (dunno any Northern American brands to recommend, anybody)

Joined 2009-03-20

PM

http://www.valsurf.com/product.php?productid=18920&cat=0&page=1

or

http://www.valsurf.com/product.php?productid=16137&cat=0&page=1

Just ran the lines out…these lines look perfect…still waxed and shiny. 

The bridle lines are a bit worn, but still lots of life left in them.

Signature

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2008-10-02

PM

Maury,

Looks like you’ve gotten some good advice so far. As an instructor and east coast OR rider, I thought I’d throw in my 2 cents. First, congrats on getting on awesome deal on one of the best kites out there. Second, I agree with what was posted earlier about the board issue. Find yourself a nice twin tip board to learn on. You’ll want one for flat water riding anyways. A 140-150 cm x 40-46 cm board would be about right for someone your size and skill level. The 150 cm Mako wide fits that bill nicely. Adding a 8m Rise later on is also a good idea. I’d stay away from a smaller kite, the surfboard, and higher winds until you can proficiently fly your current kite, ride up wind both directions, and safely self rescue.

That’s all I’ve got for now. Enjoy your new kite and welcome to the crew. Oh yeah, definitely get your girlfriend into kiting, just don’t teach her yourself.

Aloha,
Jeff

Signature

Aloha! Jeff Rockett, , All over the world!

Joined 2009-03-20

PM

Jeff,

Thanks for the confirmations and advice. 

How about this board:  Wipika 147 twin in our used gear section. See it at http://www.windance.com/146-cm-wipika-edge-c-1239-p-1-pr-2476.html
The price is only $72.90!. It’s well used but has lots of life left in it.

I found an instructor on the local Craiglist http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/1067855956.html  He has 10 yrs. experience and finalist in European Championships.  Teaches here at Belmont Shores…the beginner beach.  He has equipment that I can use.  He has instructor experience but not sure if he is IKO or other certified?  What more should I ask him?  He claims to have taught over 20 people and has a picture of a lady on his page.

He has gear fro me to use, so I don’t have to rush purchasing.  At $25 per hour, I think I’ll take at least 9hrs. of lessons to make sure I’m safe and proficient.  My son is going to learn with me, should be fun.  Trying to get my daughter to learn also.

Is it recommended to take continued lessons?  When I spoke to this instructor, me mentioned being able to help me quickly fix mistakes.  He also said he can help me get surfing quickly and fix common mistakes.  Sounded good on the phone.

I just cannot afford the $200 for 3hr. plans…I did 2 of these lessons, but cannot pay that rate right now.  Want to get my two people going and all gear for 2 people.

I did learn quite a bit from Bill at Captain Kirks and we worked all the way up to body dragging.

Any input is appreciated and my main goal is being safe and secondly, economical

Signature

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2008-10-02

PM

Maury,

That’s a pretty old and narrow board. Not sure what you can afford, but I’d stick with something newer than 2004.

$25.00 an hour is pretty cheap for lessons. I have no idea about that particular instructors level of riding experience or instructional ability, so I can’t comment on what type of instruction you’d get from him. If you and your son are of substantially different weights I wouldn’t put you in the same class. When looking for an instructor consider teaching experience, type of certification PASA, IKO, or none, the teaching area, condition of the instructors gear, etc.

We teach beginner, intermediate, and advanced lessons out here. Taking more lessons throughout the late beginner to intermediate portions of your learning curve is definitely helpful, but not necessary. If your still body dragging, I’d recommend taking at least another water lesson. As an instructor, I would want you to be proficient with body dragging, riding downwind both directions, and self recovery before sending you out to practice on your own.

Signature

Aloha! Jeff Rockett, , All over the world!

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Thanks for your input you guys!
I was going to just throw him on a surfboard and hope for the best!

I am not an instructor and I was self taught back in 2000, thank you again!