1 of 2
New Ocean Rodeo Custom 6’ Wave Board
Posted: 04 April 2009 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  571
Joined  2006-10-06

I read with interest the introduction of a new OR wave board ridden recently by Richard. I’d be excited to hear a bit more about it.

How does it compare to the current Mako Surf if at all?

Is it a better light wind option?does it need a lot of power in the kite?

Signature 

andy

Dorset UK

Posted: 04 April 2009 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2006-01-11

Andy,

Here’s a sneak peak of our new line of Custom directionals, both Race and Surf. These boards are custom made to order (delivery in 10-14 days within the US), right here in California! We’ve been testing the 5’10 Race extensively at Crissy and will have a fleet of these on the water for the upcoming Cabrinha series. The Surf has been put through the paces at Waddell and in the Bay and we are super stoked on the results. The Surf pictured is 6’0.  We are in the process of updating our web page with details and ordering information, and also in sending the details to our dealer network (for those of you in the US, our retailers already have the goods).

These are entirely new shapes, and after personally logging hours and hours on them I am uber stoked!

Cheers,

Evan

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Posted: 04 April 2009 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2007-01-03

those look NIICE.

Signature 

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Posted: 05 April 2009 12:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2007-10-30

Saweeeeeet,

I just got a semi!

That bar looks so tight!

Posted: 05 April 2009 01:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2009-02-14

Do you happen to have any pics of the fin setup of the race board?

Is it similar to the way the fins are angled on the North race board? (not the normal 90 degree to the bottom surface)

Thanks.

Allen

Posted: 05 April 2009 02:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  626
Joined  2006-03-24
andy - 04 April 2009 08:54 PM

I read with interest the introduction of a new OR wave board ridden recently by Richard. I’d be excited to hear a bit more about it.

How does it compare to the current Mako Surf if at all?

Is it a better light wind option?does it need a lot of power in the kite?

A surf shape will never even come close to the light wind ability’s of a race board, too much rocker and too narrow in the tail.
That being said, the new custom surf shape does look like it will have better low end than the mako surf, which only comes in one size.
I’m guessing the new race shape comes with a 2 fin set up, am I right?
Very similar to the Amundson/Windydevil 5’ 10” I’m riding now… that baby is a blast to ride.
I just love being able to outpoint everything on the water, then jam’n straight downwind so fast your eyes water!

Posted: 07 April 2009 01:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  172
Joined  2005-12-27

The new Custom Surf Page page is up.
I hope this aswers some of the questios grin
How does it ride?...well,...Ross and I are fighting over the one board left at OR!

Posted: 07 April 2009 01:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-14

Hmmmm….........

Any more info on the race board?

Posted: 07 April 2009 03:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2006-01-11
Allen Binder - 07 April 2009 01:47 AM

Hmmmm….........

Hi Allen,

What would you like to know? I’ve been training hard on mine…:)

Cheers,

Evan

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Posted: 07 April 2009 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-14
EvanStolze - 07 April 2009 03:59 AM

Hmmmm….........

Hi Allen,

Cheers,

Evan

Is it a faster board than the Mako Wide 150x40?
I’m a speed ‘junkie’.  My bike is a Suzuki Hayabusa (I’ve only had it up to 160mph so far though), so that kinda is an indicator that ‘speed’ is my adrenaline rush.

Also, are the fins at a 90 degree angle to the bottom of the board or are they angled outward like the North race board?

Any idea what the asking price for one will be?

It would also be nice if someone could video a transition turn of one as well.  Just kinda of curious about how fast the trasition turn is since you would have to switch foot positions.

Thanks.

Allen

Posted: 07 April 2009 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  571
Joined  2006-10-06

Amongst many other questions to come I’m sure I’d like to know what benefits there are between the two different fin set ups?
ie. standard thruster fin set up compared to the custom quad option.

andy

Signature 

andy

Dorset UK

Posted: 07 April 2009 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-09-16
Allen Binder - 07 April 2009 08:34 AM
EvanStolze - 07 April 2009 03:59 AM

Hmmmm….........

Hi Allen,

Cheers,

Evan

Is it a faster board than the Mako Wide 150x40?
I’m a speed ‘junkie’.  My bike is a Suzuki Hayabusa (I’ve only had it up to 160mph so far though), so that kinda is an indicator that ‘speed’ is my adrenaline rush.

Also, are the fins at a 90 degree angle to the bottom of the board or are they angled outward like the North race board?

Any idea what the asking price for one will be?

It would also be nice if someone could video a transition turn of one as well.  Just kinda of curious about how fast the trasition turn is since you would have to switch foot positions.

Thanks.

Allen

Allen,

Yes, the Race board is much faster than the Mako. Not on a reach, but on the two points of sale where it counts in course racing - straight upwind and straight down. It also points much higher on the wind. Racing is all about going fast, but at the same time taking the shortest course possible, so you need a board that points high and goes very deep off the wind.

The fin boxes are not canted, but the Race fins are - the angle is not as extreme as the North race. US MSRP is $949 with G10 race fins included. This board is a blast to ride - if you are a speed junky you will be uber-stoked!

Cheers,

Evan

Posted: 07 April 2009 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-09-16
andy - 07 April 2009 08:58 AM

Amongst many other questions to come I’m sure I’d like to know what benefits there are between the two different fin set ups?
ie. standard thruster fin set up compared to the custom quad option.

andy

Hi Andy,

The thruster set up is the all-time ” standard ” surfboard configuration because it provides the best performance on a wave. The board will track when you want it to, but you can break the tail loose if you wish to. It also keeps the board very carvy and loose.

The quad set up provides increased drive and tracking, but completely changes the way a board turns. You can’t crank turns nearly as tight, nor break the tail loose easily (if at all).

Both have their merits, so it really boils down to preference and the kind of riding you want to do with the board. Personally, I’ll never go quad on a waveboard.

Cheers,

Evan

Posted: 08 April 2009 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-14
Administrator - 07 April 2009 03:11 PM

Allen,

Yes, the Race board is much faster than the Mako. Not on a reach, but on the two points of sale where it counts in course racing - straight upwind and straight down. It also points much higher on the wind. Racing is all about going fast, but at the same time taking the shortest course possible, so you need a board that points high and goes very deep off the wind.

The fin boxes are not canted, but the Race fins are - the angle is not as extreme as the North race. US MSRP is $949 with G10 race fins included. This board is a blast to ride - if you are a speed junky you will be uber-stoked!

Cheers,

Evan

Hehehehehe.  This news puts an evil grin across my face.  Let’s see; if I go fast enough I can just ‘fly’ over the chop!!!!
(and leave all of those Best kites in my ‘spray’.)

Allen

Posted: 10 April 2009 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2008-02-06

I’d like to see pics of the race board , when is it gonna be on the site like the surf board?

Posted: 10 April 2009 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2007-10-02

So does this mean that the mako surf is not being produced for 2009?

1 of 2