Rise: what to do in extreme windgusts?

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2007-07-19

PM

Hi!
Question… what is the best way to act if you find yourself on the water and you didn’t see a squall line or other storm coming and the wind suddenly gusts far beyond the limits of your kite?
With a 5 line kite you would pull the safety and the upside-down fluttering kite would hopefully have not enough power anymore to drag you, otherwise you release it completely, or probably the kite would shred to pieces on it’s 5th. Other kites with and o-shit handle safety will probably flag out.
But how will the Rise behave with it’s two front lines as safety? When you let go of the bar, it will depower, but when you pull the safety, how much drag will there be left? Is there any chance of the kite starting a screwdriver? And I’m talking 100 km/h winds, when the kite will not just stay on the water. In these extreme conditions should I release it completely or should I first try the safety and see what happens?
What is your advice and has anyone got some experience with this? Happened here in Holland not long ago (glad I wasn’t on the water), one kiter didn’t survive, and it got me wondering…
I love my 2007 Rises, so it’s just to know what to do. I trust them a lot!

Total Posts: 572

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Hi Jelte

Firstly - always be on the look out for a dramatic change in conditions!

Normally there would be plenty of de power in the Rise SLE bar to ride out an average gust.

In the scenario you describe let go of the bar and then release your safety leash. Reach up and grab the handle (O shit handle) connected to one of your front lines. Pull on this and then release your chicken loop. The kite will flag out onto one front line with little to no power. This is the only way to safely kill the power of the SLE kite.

If you release the bar and stay connected to your safety leash then the kite could quite possibly start doing the death spiral that you so rightly describe as the screwdriver effect! Happened to me on a rare invert once. Lesson there - Pump the kite up harder!

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2007-07-19

PM

Well, I can’t remember seeing any o-shit handles on the SLE bar… one of the reasons for my question. There is off course the ring in the center (or the option to hook your leash to the depower cord on my 2007 bar, but this will still result in the kite flagging out on the 2 front lines, right?

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2008-05-13

PM

Hi,
I beleive that 2007 bar did not have a o-shit handle. But you have the possibility to instal the leash on one front line. So first safety is letting go of the bar and the second safety is disconecting the chicken loop, so the kite is conected to you on only one front line. That is the setup i am using on my Rises. And yes - my stopper is always so far up that when I release the bar the kite lets out allmost all power. Some do not like the leash on one front line since it wraps arround when doing rotations, but have a rotating harness hook, so I do not have this problem.
Greetings,
Jaros

Joined 2007-07-19

PM

Hi Jaros,

Right, I remember the possibility to put your leash to something in front of the stopperball. I have to lengthen my leash then. Would not be ideal, but would be a possibility when you’re not really sure of the wind conditions (gusty or prediction of storms). How does this work with the 2009 bar? Is the safety still on 2 powerlines with the possibility of hooking in the leash on one powerline? And does it have an o-shit handle? Was planning to go over to 2009 Rise anyway…
might as well change the bar.

Joined 2008-05-13

PM

Hi Jelte,
I have 2008 bar and the 2009 bar is the same in this regard. Both have o-shit handle and this is the spot where you connect the leash. Yes, you have to lenghten the leash a little. If I remember right also the 2007 bar has a black ball on one front line that goes trough a ring. You can attach the leash on that ball.
I startet yousing this setup from the day my depower rope broke, and I was lucky that the wind was light so the bar was not ripped out of my hand. If you have the “normal” setup your kite is gone, but if you use the one front line safety the kite stays attached to you. My setup works great for me but I never ride unhooked and never ride with the bar sitting at the stopper ball, so maybe this is why.
Greetings,
Jaros

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

jaroskiter - 15 May 2009 05:29 AM

Hi,
I beleive that 2007 bar did not have a o-shit handle. But you have the possibility to instal the leash on one front line. So first safety is letting go of the bar and the second safety is disconecting the chicken loop, so the kite is conected to you on only one front line. That is the setup i am using on my Rises. And yes - my stopper is always so far up that when I release the bar the kite lets out allmost all power. Some do not like the leash on one front line since it wraps arround when doing rotations, but have a rotating harness hook, so I do not have this problem.
Greetings,
Jaros

Yes. What Jaros has posted is exactly right. Leashing off one of the front lines will kill the power of the kite as it will flag out when you let go of the bar completely ie. letting go of bar and releasing chicken loop. However I think the majority of riders will leash off of their trim loop ‘D’ ring to save the safety leash wrapping around the trim line during rotations. Don’t think the rotating harness hook is that widely used-certainly haven’t come accross one here in the UK.

You could make a handle to attach to the attachment point at the point where the front lines aatach to the swivel. Alternatively if you contact Ocean Rodeo direct I’m sure that they will be able to sort you out with a handle for your ‘07 bar.

The only safe way to kill the power on any kite is to flag it out on one line. For an SLE kite that means flagging it out on one front line.

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2008-05-13

PM

In the scenario you describe let go of the bar and then release your safety leash. Reach up and grab the handle (O shit handle) connected to one of your front lines. Pull on this and then release your chicken loop. The kite will flag out onto one front line with little to no power. This is the only way to safely kill the power of the SLE kite.

Hi Andy,
Is it possible to reach the o shit handle after leting go of the bar in extreme gust? Or is it to far away so you have to grab the depower line and pull the kite closser - what I believe is impossible in extreme winds?
Greetings,
Jaros

Joined 2008-05-13

PM

Don’t think the rotating harness hook is that widely used-certainly haven’t come accross one here in the UK.

Peter Lynn is producing a spinning spreader bar for the harness that I am using.
Greetings,
Jaros

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

jaroskiter - 15 May 2009 08:57 AM

Hi Andy,
Is it possible to reach the o shit handle after leting go of the bar in extreme gust? Or is it to far away so you have to grab the depower line and pull the kite closser - what I believe is impossible in extreme winds?
Greetings,
Jaros

Yes it is possible but no doubt not always easy. I hope that other crew members will chime in here with their thoughts. After all it is an important issue for us all!

Anyhows signing off now as I’m off kiting wink

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 349

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

ok, i have a fair bit of experience with this as i ride my 10 in everything and genuinely had it out in averaging 30kts (gusts a tiny bit above) last week. with about a foot of trim in, keep the kite low ( as in nearly skimming the water) and hold the bar in. it may sound counterintuitive but as soon as i let the bar out she rockets forwards in the window and the apparent hits you like a truck. so in those conditions (flat water at least) i found it LESS powerful with the bar in at that kind of wind. i also found that you can point RIDICULOUSLY high upwind when that powered with the bar in. settings on the forwards on the front and furthest back on the back lines works best in this as it depowers in a shorter throw so you can keep a good solid stance. as soon as you ride ‘poo style’ youre screwed and are going to skim off downwind. stance is mega important, just lock out that back leg, twist the hips and go!  jumping is INSANE when that powered as long as you ride into the run up slow, crank the end of the bar to compensate for the large amount of trim in so you can get some speed into the kite still, wang it and edge and check out the scenery! 

i LOVE that thing when its maxed.. and the 129 zen is a beast combined with it. :D

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Joined 2007-07-19

PM

There was a new 10m Rise and a bar planned for this season. That way my wife can try kiting too… with the 2007 bar off course wink

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

I’d glance downwind and then cut my cut loose if I got caught in 100km/hour+ wind…..no matter what kite I had or what safety set up I was using. In this much wind the drag on a kite alone would be insane. I’ve never been caught out kiting in that much wind but was once out on a 25 sailboat in that much wind. The windage from the mast alone was enough to lay the boat over on it’s side. The only option we had was to run with bare poles before the wind.

Best defense here is a good offense. Squally weather is typically forecast (as it was in our case on the boat, our mistake) and very easy to spot coming. Get the kite down as soon as you see the black line/clouds charging towards you….

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

EvanStolze - 15 May 2009 07:57 PM

I’d glance downwind and then cut my cut loose if I got caught in 100km/hour+ wind…..no matter what kite I had or what safety set up I was using. In this much wind the drag on a kite alone would be insane. I’ve never been caught out kiting in that much wind but was once out on a 25 sailboat in that much wind. The windage from the mast alone was enough to lay the boat over on it’s side. The only option we had was to run with bare poles before the wind.

Best defense here is a good offense. Squally weather is typically forecast (as it was in our case on the boat, our mistake) and very easy to spot coming. Get the kite down as soon as you see the black line/clouds charging towards you….

Totally agree.
But not with every kite.. Rise 2,3,4m ..  cool smile
Just kidding.

In certain conditions you got to keep your eye on the sky.

Joined 2007-07-19

PM

True, though I had a weird session not long ago when after the dark clouds the wind in sunny conditions suddenly picked up. Gusts went from a maximum of 30 up to 36+ without a warning. And though I’m not a very good kiter, I am very experienced in spotting the weather. Didn’t see it coming, wasn’t forecasted. I could just hold my 8m Rise and land it safely, but I would probably have pulled the safety if I would’ve known for sure that the leash would depower the kite completely.
I saw some pictures from before the accident I talked about and as far as I could see there were not a lot of signs for somebody who is not really experienced in reading the weather. That’s why I thought I should make up my mind on how to handle in extreme conditions. 99 out of 100 times you can see it coming, but it’s the 1 time that you don’t when it’s nice to know what to do.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2009-05-14

PM

Hi,
Would it be possible for someone from Ocean Rodeo to give us a demo for the new 2009 kites on what
to do in this situation? I dont even know where/what the O-Shit handle is… I see that Ozone have no
problem supplying this useful info, I would hope Ocean Rodeo could do the same…
Cheers
K