Kootenay Kiting

Total Posts: 125

Joined 2007-03-19

PM

Hey Crew,

I’m looking for information on kiting around the Fairmont/Invermere area. Lake Windermere near Inveremere could be alright, but it’s PACKED with boats, Seadoos, houseboats, and everything in between. I’ve driven past Columbia Lake just south of Fairmont loads of times in summer and it always looks awesome, but I’m not sure where/if there’s beach access - anyone ever tried this place out or know anything about it?

Cheers
Ned

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2009-05-23

PM

Hey Ned

I am new to the whole kite scene… but have spent some time in the Columbia Valley.  I think that Columbia lake is your best bet.  Access would be from either North or South ends.  I have not scoped a good launch area because last time I was flying over the lake I was not a kiter.  But I have seen windsurfers on the North end and when it blows there it really honks.  Several days around 25-35kts.  You would want to drive down into the community by the little golf course south of the hoodoos and make your way down to the boat launch.  From there you could have a look for a launch site.  I think there is also another boat launch on the South East side of the lake near Canal Flats.  Fairly shallow down there too so might be some great flat water riding.
Let me know how you make out…I will have my gear with me this summer…hopefully if the stars line up…will get my kite out on Columbia.

Cheers
D

Joined 2007-03-19

PM

Thanks Davo!

I have been vacationing with my family at Fairmont Hot Springs for about 10 years (a week every summer), so I’ve seen those 25-35 kts you are talking about, hence I’m super keen to find a launch. Good to know there are some windsurfers out there, means there’s at least some kind of access. If you’ll be there in early July let me know. Will definitely be checking it out though.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2009-05-23

PM

Sounds great…if there is smoke in the air…I will likely be around!
I did notice a trail coming down to the north end of the lake near the train tracks that might serve as access also.
Have a look on Google Earth.  The South East boat launch looks pretty do able.  Unfortunately the resolution on the North end of the lake is not that great.  I have launched my boat there and have friends with a cottage in the community…just can’t remember if there was a friendly place to launch from.

Good luck and maybe see ya this summer!
Dave

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2009-08-01

PM

Hi I just moved from the Netherlands to Kootenay (Kimberley BC). In August 2009 my kitegear (+ some windsurf gear )  will be in BC (loaded in container). Want to check out Columbia Lake, Canal Flats a soon as kites are in Canada. Send me pm if you go kiting at Columbia Lake late summer 2009 and after. What about snowkiting in Kootenay?

Joined 2007-03-19

PM

Snowman,

I won’t be back until next summer unfortunately. I did go and check out Canal Flats/Columbia Lake though. The provincial campground is quite nice. Launching windsurf gear wouldn’t be too bad at all, although kites would be a little trickier - you would essentially have to drift launch or launch at the edge of the parking lot and then walk to the water (tricky if lots of people are around). Let me know if you get out or find any other spots to launch around there, I’m keen to try again next year (no wind this time).

Cheers
Ned