Canadian & European Crew Events - Summer 2009!

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

We hope you can join us at one of our 2 Crew Events this summer!

Event 1: July 9th to 12th, 2009 Tarifa Spain

This summer, for the first time ever, we will be hosting a Crew Event in Europe! Held in conjunction with our Spanish Importer Boardriders Company this year’s European Crew Event will be at the ever windy Tarifa Spain!

Less formal than our annual Nitinat Lake Event the Tarifa Event will none-the-less still be an excellent opportunity to meet the Ocean Rodeo Crew and test ride the 2010 equipment! This event is open to any Ocean Rodeo rider, dealer or distributor to attend! Come out, meet one another and test ride the new 2010 equipment.

Participants will be encouraged to stay in the same hotel and we will endeavour to organize at least one big Crew dinner one of the nights of the event. As soon as I have proper details from Alberto of Boardriders I will post them here!

Event 2: August 13th to 16th 2009 Nitinat Lake, BC Canada

For the 3rd year in a row we will be hosting a Crew Event here on Vancouver Island up at incredible Nitinat Lake!

As in the past this year’s Nitinat Lake Crew Event will be held in conjunction with Windfest, a kite festival that drew over 150 competitors and more than 500 spectators and recreational kiters last year! Ocean Rodeo is the title sponsor of the event and uses this event to officially launch it’s new season’s equipment and to give back to the Crew that gives so much to us each year, year over year.

There is no expense involved in joining us for the event outside of your own sleeping, travel and alcohol expenses. Ocean Rodeo will provide BBQ and deli style meals for Friday, Saturday and Sunday for the Crew and will have on hand a large cook tent, industrial BBQ, Fridge and ladies to prepare your meals. Nitinat is a rugged environment on the edge of Canada’s West Coast and you will be camping on the shores of one of Canada’s nicest west coast lakes!

Individual Crew members are expected to bring their own camping equipment, kite gear and alcohol. We will have on hand a large selection of 2010 equipment to ride but it is best to bring your own equipment as demo will be in high demand. Nitinat typically sees winds of 15 to 25 knots, with some days climbing higher. 6, 8, 10m kites are recommended.

This event is family friendly with a designated party area far up the beach and a private Crew Camping zone for those seeking relief. Additionally there is a motel 5 minutes outside of the campground in the small, alcohol free, community of Nitinat. Riders looking for information on this hotel should contact Ocean Rodeo immediately as it will book up quickly.

If you intend to join us this summer at Nitinat it is very important that you email .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) or call our offices at 888-544-4969 to confirm your numbers so that we can make proper arrangements for you and your family. Ocean Rodeo can rent camping equipment for you at a small expense. Please note: Nitinat is an hour and a half drive on a logging road from any community that sells alcohol. If you wish to have a beer after your session or to enjoy some drinks responsibly around the fire at night it is imperative that you bring your own alcohol with you. The community of Nitinat is an alcohol free community!! (i.e., bring 50% more booze than you expect to consume because no one wants to have to drive 2 hours to get more!)

Riders interested in checking out more photos from last year’s incredibly fun Nitinat Crew Event can click on the picture below of our lovely Winona and Talia preparing lunch for the Crew last summer.

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 65

Joined 2007-09-14

PM

Looks like fun, shame i have to work all summer, but cant you do something like this in New-Zealand in the winter.

Funny tho i just spoke to some people here on holiday who had a B&B on Vancouver Island near that lake grin

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2007-07-19

PM

Or on Terschelling in the Netherlands… I happen to know somebody with a great hostel there… fills up quickly though!  tongue wink
Wow, wish I could be at Nitinat!

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Here is some more information for the Tarifa part of the event, big thanks to Alberto for helping organize this.

MEETING OCEAN RODEO IN TARIFA

ACCOMMODATION / ROOMS

HOSTAL LEVANTE
PHONE: 0034 - 956.68.17.75
DOUBLE ROOM PRICE: 50€  THREE PEOPLE: 65€
BREAKFAST: 2€
( I ALREADY BOOKED 9 ROOMS. YOU NEED TO TELL ME HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL COME WITH YOU.)

HOSTAL LAS MARGARITAS
PHONE: +34 956.680.030
DOUBLE ROOM PRICE: 55€
(THEY STILL HAVE 4 ROOMS BUT PEOPLE NEED TO BOOK THEM AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. PEOPLE JUST NEED TO SAY THAT THEY ARE MEMBER OF THE OCEAN RODEO CREW)

HOSTAL LA CALZADA
PHONE: +34 956.681.492
DOUBLE ROOM PRICE: 75€
(THEY STILL HAVE 4 ROOMS BUT PEOPLE NEED TO BOOK THEM AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. PEOPLE JUST NEED TO SAY THAT THEY ARE MEMBER OF THE OCEAN RODEO CREW )

HOSTAL DORI
PHONE: +34 956.685.317
DOUBLE ROOM PRICE: 70€

HOSTAL ALBORADA
PHONE: +34 956.681.140
DOUBLE ROOM PRICE: 80€
WIFI ZONE
BREAKFAST: 2,5€
Desayuno 2,50€
(PEOPLE NEED TO BOOK)

————————————————————-

RENT A CAR

COMPANY: RECORDGO
MALAGA AIRPORT
CAR:  Hyundai Getz ( I ALREADY BOOKED TWO IN THE AIRPORT OF MALAGA)
PLACES: 5 people
DURING: 4 dAYS
PRICE: 103,84€

—————————————————————

MEETING’S PLANNING

1.- MEALS

FROM THURSDAY TO SATURDAY:
CLUB MISTRAL / VALDEVAQUEROS
FREE BUFFET 10€ 
Paella 7€
DRINKS: 2€

2.- DINNERS

THURSDAY - SOUL BEACH http://www.soulbeach.es

- Special Menu, cocktails & music

FRIDAY - EXPLORA http://www.exploratarifa.com

SATURDAY - SOUL BEACH http://www.soulbeach.es

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 152

Joined 2007-06-26

PM

I wanted to go to nitinat but its to expansive in august, Tarifa is a great place bring small size kites levante winds are strong
and hire a car.
Next year i will try to make it but you have to annouce this a bit earlyer.

Signature

on fire

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Guys how did you go in Nitinat? I want to hear ALL details and see tons of compromising pictures (you did bring Kmac did you)!
And I guess I’m not the only one wanting to hear more about the gear, King, Mini, the 2010 Rise and all the new sizes… race results… bring it on!

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-11-15

PM

Hi Rudo!

Mako 130 is so much fun. Fell in love at once. Mako comfort but feels like you can ride this board really agressive. I am getting one for myself but you are welcome to take it for a spin once.
Mako 140 and 150 - smooth as always but with a killer look. Got to love the soul / longboard-a-like graphics!
Zen boards - The new tip design give the board a bit more comfort and eliminates spray in the face. 133 * 41 seems like the sh*t but some idiot stole it in Tarifa before John could bring it to me in the Netherlands.

Kites I have only tested in low-end. However it left a very good impression.

- No back stall when unhooking in light winds (14-15 knots) with zero trim out of the bar
- tiny bit more bar pressure in heavy settings compared to the 09 (I like)
- No center strut (just have to put sand in the middle) grin
- Seemed even more stable than last years kite.
- Seemed to lift slightly different compared to 08 and 09 but I think it will again be a really good kite to boost big air.
- Slightly faster turning

Diablo 2010:
Flies very similar to the 2009. just a few minor tweaks to the kite. I consider that a good thing as this is my all time favorite kite. Add to this a 2010 bar and I am in heaven…..

Last picture of me Ben Vine and John being totally lost in Delft. Ben already started texting his girl that we would never make it out alive anymore…. What can I say. I am not born as a tourguide.

Image Attachments

jzw.jpg

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

WOW board stolen? I thought the “one rider at the time” method had changed… stupid fkr he’s stuck with a really unique board then. Could have gone anywhere from there.
Yeah we got to get together and try it all out, winds coming in later this week - tropical style, I take it you swindled John out of some of his excess luggage?
The Rise comments sound like Ross got the final wishlist checked!

Keep the news and gossip coming!

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Man do I love that picture of Wouter, Ben and I. I was so surprised when Ben popped his head into that photo!

Nitinat. Oh Nitinat. All I can say is that before this past weekend I was convinced we would never be able to beat the Crew Gathering from the year before, 2008 was just so epic. Well, I am (barely) alive to say that this year’s event met and exceeded my expectations and hopes and was truly epic.

We got amazing winds for both Saturday and Sunday, had an incredible turn out of riders from all over and had a really really solid vibe rolling all weekend with new friendships made and old friendships re-kindled. Team Canada came out strong and hard on the annual Saturday night Tippy Cups game but eventually fell at the hands of Team Bellingham in a very controvershal last second finish in a best of 3 match-up. (I still call foul - the ref was American, who ties in Tippy Cups?) A full fire ban was overcome by what amounted to us all enjoying the warm glow of an open faced gas barbecue while the food and drinks this year were perfectly proportioned by our now veteran team of Winona B and Talia P on the food scene (the trip up with these two was a blast, stopping for 3 hours while they shopped and having 2 of my 3 credit cards declined while I tried to pay for it all.)

Sunday morning started early for some hearty souls who ventured out to the narrows at 5am to go fishing, bringing back with them over a hundred pounds of fresh caught salmon while Sunday afternoon was capped off with an impromptu big air competition easily won by me. Ha ha ha, I should say Andrew from Bellingham. We all managed to scrape our selves off the beach and into vehicles in a somewhat timely fashion in order to get to town for a last night out with the Crew before heading off to reality again.

Apparently though next year Ocean Rodeo will need to fly into Bellingham an elite navigation crew to guide these incredible people safely back to the lake in less time than it takes me to drive to Oregon and back. Friday night’s highlight was a 3am arrival of Amy, Darcie and Zach in the midst of a domestic dispute after having spent 5 hours on the logging roads trying to find the lake. Sunday apparently this stupendous team of drivers managed to repeat their experience in spite of my incredibly clear instructions: “Dude, it’s easy, turn right” which, as a testament to my ability to provide information in a concise and accurate way is really the only thing you need to know to get out from the lake to the highway again, turn right once and follow the road…

I hope all of you can make it to our Nitinat Lake Crew Gathering next year as the event is only getting better but I can also say that we will be hosting a European event again this coming year and I do hope to possibly introduce a northern Europe event too so as to cover both the romantic and the pragmatic sides of Europe!

John Z - off to sleep.

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc