Fast and clean kite folding NOW WITH VIDEO

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

I saw Richard do something like this once, I’ve been trying to perfect it since.

> open strut valves
> pick up kite, tips up
> pull deflate valve
> wait a second
> with the LE semi-inflated, start folding
> after step two (tips on center strut), put down kite
> keep the LE down

It takes a bit op practice but it gets you off the beach in no time > more net riding time for you!
Also, you’re not rolling sand into the inside canopy. You only get 1/8 of the amount of sand in the bag compared to standard kooky rolling the tips in.

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Nice drawings, I get the idea but nothing works better than a instruction vid… rolleyes

Get a nice lady as folding assistent

grin

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

very nice drawing I would say. I will try it next time.

Alot of detail on the drawing means only one thing to me; NO WIND EITHER!

Kirk

Signature

Core GT 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako Kingn
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Kirk - 01 July 2009 06:32 PM

very nice drawing I would say. I will try it next time.

Alot of detail on the drawing means only one thing to me; NO WIND EITHER!

Kirk

Thanks Kirk, only 10 minutes in Illustrator, I had the kite shape from another file. Been doing graphics for too long!
BTW there was some wind but 3kn of current at the beach today, couldn’t keep any ground.

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-09-04

PM

i wonder if that drawing is the new secret kite layout that OR is putting out in 2010?

Signature

I love to Kiteboard

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

mossman - 03 July 2009 02:28 AM

i wonder if that drawing is the new secret kite layout that OR is putting out in 2010?

Nah. That drawing looks like a standard bow or SLE. I am sure that OR is working on a delta kite by now wink

Signature

Core GT 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako Kingn
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2009-04-20

PM

i can see what your doing there but a vid would be really nice!

fold 2/3 across itself? then other tip back across in half. then half again from that side. then roll/fold! is this with or without lines connected?
My fave UK spot is on a beach with a grass field behind so dont have any sand. My other fave spot is in france with very little beach space….so you have all the wind hitting you blowing the kite about everywhere so have to be a kook otherwise you end up with the kite blowing everywhere! Which way would i want to face into the wind (bearing in mind the span from centre to tip is much bigger than my height!)

I’ll try this when im next out (which will be UK, but might also be landboading)

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Stug, I need to teach a model how to fold the kite like this, so I have my hands free to film. Female nude would be preferred.
The first fold is around the center of the model kite, so in 1/2, then 1/4. Of course, without the lines connected. You’re right about the wind, keep the side with the LE towards the wind and keep pressing it down. Wind trying to mess it up will only be above 18 kn, when this happens your kite is likely a 10m or smaller, so it’s gonna be easier. Once you got this down, the required space is much less than the kooky laying out flat.

Joined 2009-04-20

PM

lanboarded today, no wind (as well as barefoot waterski on grass behind a car, along with the obligatory wakeboard mountainboarding tandem!)
i did it in 2/3 then folded it as you said. there was no wind so i didnt have an issue. i normally fly my 12 in 22….on water….im sure with a helper i could get away with it! it went in the bag easily! when you do the last folding over and over itself, thats when you get the air out…so this is the bit to take time with! Once you have it just before this step then its absolutely fine. it wont blow anywhere then, and it will already be okay if you do the 1st two folds holding the kite stood up. then you can place on the ground to squash the air out. Also note i did it with lines still attached! the bar ended up outside the package and used a clip tie strap (ozone send these with every kite) i obtained to hold it to the long edge (i have enough lines left-i wind until i get to the 3m extensions) so that its still possible to clean the bar and lines….just bagging would obviously mean putting the wet bar on the kite. but i can have the bar outside the bag still! Detaching or not, it works!

i tried it on my mates 16m bularoo….and it just about worked, even with the struts!

and i get the model joke smile would you like me to film next time? i forgot my camera today so missed out on all the footage we could have got!!

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

the time to beat is 25 seconds!

Joined 2009-04-20

PM

lol! thats about how quick i get to the 2nd step….....only thing is i have a massive 12 to fold (only ks kite-but its an OR grin )

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

thx! Do you think it would look better if I had a Mullet?
I have the 12 also, it’s more difficult for sure but it can be done.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2008-10-21

PM

I thought it was supposed to be a pleasurable experience?

You know, crack a beer, open valve, take a chair… gulp, fold, sit, gulp… repeat. wink

Signature

Rise 7,10,14m | Mako Wide | Nobile T555

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

@ nicegrab: I edited those bits out.

In fact you can see I’m broken after a 3,5 hour session, I could hardly walk. Plus I was wearing 2 neoprene shirts, they had ridden up above the harness. Damn I’m charming.

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2009-02-14

PM

Awesome video, thanks!!!

Might be quite a bit harder to do with my 16m though.

Still, thanks for the video.  Maybe I could modify the procedure some for the 16m.

Allen

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2009-02-14

PM

Wow!!! El Rudo!!!  For some reason all of this time I thought that you were barely 20 something years old!!!

If you don’t mind me asking, how old are you???
(I’m 51 years old.)

Allen