Session 2 Harness

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2008-10-02

PM

I just wanted to post a quick review of the Session 2 harness.

I’ve been using this harness for about a month now. Most recently I’ve been using either the old Session harness or my Dakine Nitrous shorts. The Session 2 is a great refinement on one of the most versatile, comfortable, and durable harnesses on the market.

Overall quality: Outstanding
Workmanship: Outstanding
Comfort: Outstanding (more support and padding compared to original Session harness)
Support: Excellent (I’d still like to see some lumbar curve added to this and many other harnesses out there)
Spreader bar comfort and support: Outstanding
Safety features: Outstanding (handle pass safety release, kite line knife included, secondary safety leash attachment point on spreader bar)
Versatility: (Outstanding usable as a hybrid seat/waist harness or as a waist harness)

Signature

Aloha! Jeff Rockett, , All over the world!

Total Posts: 571

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Jeff

Forgetting about the new spreader bar pad, colour options and any other minor refinements for a moment can you elaborate on the main changes in comfort/support between the Session 2 and the original?

What are your observations comparing the new spreader bar pad with the old?

I ask these questions because I have the original harness. It’s wearing very well. I’m still very happy with it and I can’t see how such an A+ product could have been improved further. I would probably only upgrade for the new spreader bar pad?

Thanks

andy

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2008-10-02

PM

Andy,

The inside of the new harness has more padding and it feels much firmer than the older padding. The padding is now covered with a smooth vinyl or rubber coating of some kind instead of the cloth used with the old harness. To me the padding in the new harness just feels more comfortable and supportive. Let’s just hope the inner lining wears well. I never had any wear issues with either of my old Session harnesses. I did notice that the new harness also seems to fit a little tighter. Not sure if it’s actually a little smaller because of the different padding, or because of the old harnesses being stretched out a little.

The old spreader bar pad didn’t really offer any type of padding. I had actually changed one of my out with an older Dakine spreader bar pad. The new pad has some really firm padding and is pretty oversized (thicker). The majority of the padding sits above the spreader bar. This keeps the bar from rolling up into your ribs. I’d compare it to the new Mystic spreader bar pads, except maybe a little bigger?

The leg strap attachment in the rear now includes a metal d-ring for added strength. The strap construction appears a little different too. I haven’t used the old straps in a long time and haven’t tried the new ones, so I can’t comment on them.

Signature

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2009-03-16

PM

I have a pro-limit harness and to be honest its shit!!Its up riding loads and cruishing my ribs.its ruining my stance aswell since its sitting on my upper stomach rathet than my lower stomach.I have tightened it as much as i can and when i do this it does sit around my lower stomach but as soon as the kite goes in the air it uprides completely.

Will the session harness do this at all?Is it easy to put on?Any negative feedback?

Please be honest when your writng reply’s since I wont be able to demo it and I cant afford to go threw ‘n my money around on thing’s,

Cheers,
Sean

P.s. I wouldnt use it as a seat harness.

P.s.2. Any shops selling new ones suppppppppper cheap

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2009-02-20

PM

I have the Session 1 and love it.

P.s. I wouldnt use it as a seat harness.

Don’t think of the leg straps as turning this into a seat harness.  It doesn’t feel anything like a seat harness with the straps.  The straps attach to the harness near the front with a single piece of webbing, so they don’t restrict your leg movement at all.  and since they attach to the harness sort of to the outside front (near your hip bones), what little pull you might feel on the straps is slightly outward, so it’s never felt like the boys were getting crushed.  once you’ve got the straps on you won’t think about them again for the whole session.  also, because the straps attach to the harness near the top of the harness, you can even put the straps on first, then your boardshorts over them if you’re worried about how it looks.  Another benefit to the straps is you don’t have to have the harness as tight as you can get it to keep it from riding up.  This helps a lot for toe side riding as the harness can be loose enough to rotate a bit and it still won’t ride up.

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

smg

The Session harness is the best I’ve had. I have never sufferred with it riding up. I have never used the leg straps either. On rare occasions the spreader bar and pad has pulled up a bit but it has not been an issue for me. The spreader bar pad on the Session 2 harness looks much improved. Go for it-you won’t be disappointed!

andy

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2009-03-16

PM

All sounds good except one thing, is it a nightmare to put on?

Thanks for all advice!!

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

smg - 05 July 2009 09:01 PM

All sounds good except one thing, is it a nightmare to put on?

No not at all. Are you thinking about the spreader bar not having a quick release facility like others on the market? It is not necessary. If you leash off the handle pass line you have a quick release on that already. You can also leash off the spreader bar itself. There’s actually an aperture on the new spreader bar pad to accomodate your safety line quick release.

You might also get someone chiming in here on the cons of having a quick release on the spreader bar itself. I’ve heard bad reports about them failing whilst out riding. Now that would really suck!

andy

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2008-10-02

PM

To SMG,

Harness preference is kinda personal, like choosing underwear. Some like them loose, some like them tight, some like them high, and some like them low. Personally, I think a lot of people also choose harnesses that either don’t fit them well, and or have very poor support and padding. A harness should wrap around you enough so that the front corners don’t bite under your ribs when it’s snug. The spreader bar pad needs to have enough support and padding to prevent the bar from rolling up under your ribs when the kite is up high. To accomplish this, I use a small harness in the spring/summer, and a medium harness in the winter when I’m wearing a thicker wetsuit.

By the way, I did a couple hour downwinder in the ocean today, back and forth heelside to toeside in the surf and chop and my new Session 2 harness worked perfectly.

Signature

Joined 2008-10-02

PM

Oh yeah, putting it on. It takes about 10 seconds to run the loop through the spreader bar and harness. No quick release like the new Mystics or Cabrinhas, but still not difficult or time consuming.

Signature

Joined 2009-03-16

PM

Hey, would this sort out the quick release problem and would make the harness easier to put on?

http://www.powerkiteshop.com/accessories/mauimagickitesurfspreaderss.htm

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

smg

As I said above the issue of a ‘quick release’ on the spreader bar is not an issue on the Ocean Rodeo Session harness. Quick releases like this fail. Why would you want a quick release on this harness anyway? You have that facility on the handle pass leash where most riders attach their safety line. Some attach to the spreader bar itself and you have a quick release on most leash straps. The harness has those zipped sides for concealing the buckles for the leg straps and any loose strap.  So no need for a quick release spreader bar.

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2009-03-16

PM

Ok,,,, its just I was talking to a fella who said that this part was recomended to him.

Thanks

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Quick releases can fail, and more importantly, they often interfere with 1) the fit and 2) getting the strap really snug and tight. That’s we we don’t put them on. I’ve been down that road and would never use or buy a harness with one again.

It takes seconds to pass the webbing through the hook…..but if those count for you then here are a couple of suggestions…. LOL

1) Just loosen the strap and step in and out of the harness.

2) Just undo one side. Once you get the the fit dialed after the first ride you only need to loosen/tighten one side of the harness anyway.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-09-04

PM

Evan is there anyone that can re/re the webbing on my 08 harness ive seem to have cut into it by to much usage - the harness still looks newish but….. i would hate to have to throw it away because of that.

Signature

I love to Kiteboard

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2009-07-07

PM

UK stock?

anyone have any ideas on UK stock of the session 2?
have had one on order forever from kiteboardinguk.com and they are waiting shipment from OR…. but no dates given.

ireally want my new session2 but its been so long on order I may stray to another make….. please dont make me leave…..  downer