Session 2 Harness

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2008-10-02

PM

I just wanted to post a quick review of the Session 2 harness.

I’ve been using this harness for about a month now. Most recently I’ve been using either the old Session harness or my Dakine Nitrous shorts. The Session 2 is a great refinement on one of the most versatile, comfortable, and durable harnesses on the market.

Overall quality: Outstanding
Workmanship: Outstanding
Comfort: Outstanding (more support and padding compared to original Session harness)
Support: Excellent (I’d still like to see some lumbar curve added to this and many other harnesses out there)
Spreader bar comfort and support: Outstanding
Safety features: Outstanding (handle pass safety release, kite line knife included, secondary safety leash attachment point on spreader bar)
Versatility: (Outstanding usable as a hybrid seat/waist harness or as a waist harness)

Signature

Aloha! Jeff Rockett, , All over the world!

Total Posts: 574

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Jeff

Forgetting about the new spreader bar pad, colour options and any other minor refinements for a moment can you elaborate on the main changes in comfort/support between the Session 2 and the original?

What are your observations comparing the new spreader bar pad with the old?

I ask these questions because I have the original harness. It’s wearing very well. I’m still very happy with it and I can’t see how such an A+ product could have been improved further. I would probably only upgrade for the new spreader bar pad?

Thanks

andy

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2008-10-02

PM

Andy,

The inside of the new harness has more padding and it feels much firmer than the older padding. The padding is now covered with a smooth vinyl or rubber coating of some kind instead of the cloth used with the old harness. To me the padding in the new harness just feels more comfortable and supportive. Let’s just hope the inner lining wears well. I never had any wear issues with either of my old Session harnesses. I did notice that the new harness also seems to fit a little tighter. Not sure if it’s actually a little smaller because of the different padding, or because of the old harnesses being stretched out a little.

The old spreader bar pad didn’t really offer any type of padding. I had actually changed one of my out with an older Dakine spreader bar pad. The new pad has some really firm padding and is pretty oversized (thicker). The majority of the padding sits above the spreader bar. This keeps the bar from rolling up into your ribs. I’d compare it to the new Mystic spreader bar pads, except maybe a little bigger?

The leg strap attachment in the rear now includes a metal d-ring for added strength. The strap construction appears a little different too. I haven’t used the old straps in a long time and haven’t tried the new ones, so I can’t comment on them.

Signature

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2009-03-16

PM

I have a pro-limit harness and to be honest its shit!!Its up riding loads and cruishing my ribs.its ruining my stance aswell since its sitting on my upper stomach rathet than my lower stomach.I have tightened it as much as i can and when i do this it does sit around my lower stomach but as soon as the kite goes in the air it uprides completely.

Will the session harness do this at all?Is it easy to put on?Any negative feedback?

Please be honest when your writng reply’s since I wont be able to demo it and I cant afford to go threw ‘n my money around on thing’s,

Cheers,
Sean

P.s. I wouldnt use it as a seat harness.

P.s.2. Any shops selling new ones suppppppppper cheap

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2009-02-20

PM

I have the Session 1 and love it.

P.s. I wouldnt use it as a seat harness.

Don’t think of the leg straps as turning this into a seat harness.  It doesn’t feel anything like a seat harness with the straps.  The straps attach to the harness near the front with a single piece of webbing, so they don’t restrict your leg movement at all.  and since they attach to the harness sort of to the outside front (near your hip bones), what little pull you might feel on the straps is slightly outward, so it’s never felt like the boys were getting crushed.  once you’ve got the straps on you won’t think about them again for the whole session.  also, because the straps attach to the harness near the top of the harness, you can even put the straps on first, then your boardshorts over them if you’re worried about how it looks.  Another benefit to the straps is you don’t have to have the harness as tight as you can get it to keep it from riding up.  This helps a lot for toe side riding as the harness can be loose enough to rotate a bit and it still won’t ride up.

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

smg

The Session harness is the best I’ve had. I have never sufferred with it riding up. I have never used the leg straps either. On rare occasions the spreader bar and pad has pulled up a bit but it has not been an issue for me. The spreader bar pad on the Session 2 harness looks much improved. Go for it-you won’t be disappointed!

andy

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2009-03-16

PM

All sounds good except one thing, is it a nightmare to put on?

Thanks for all advice!!

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

smg - 05 July 2009 09:01 PM

All sounds good except one thing, is it a nightmare to put on?

No not at all. Are you thinking about the spreader bar not having a quick release facility like others on the market? It is not necessary. If you leash off the handle pass line you have a quick release on that already. You can also leash off the spreader bar itself. There’s actually an aperture on the new spreader bar pad to accomodate your safety line quick release.

You might also get someone chiming in here on the cons of having a quick release on the spreader bar itself. I’ve heard bad reports about them failing whilst out riding. Now that would really suck!

andy

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2008-10-02

PM

To SMG,

Harness preference is kinda personal, like choosing underwear. Some like them loose, some like them tight, some like them high, and some like them low. Personally, I think a lot of people also choose harnesses that either don’t fit them well, and or have very poor support and padding. A harness should wrap around you enough so that the front corners don’t bite under your ribs when it’s snug. The spreader bar pad needs to have enough support and padding to prevent the bar from rolling up under your ribs when the kite is up high. To accomplish this, I use a small harness in the spring/summer, and a medium harness in the winter when I’m wearing a thicker wetsuit.

By the way, I did a couple hour downwinder in the ocean today, back and forth heelside to toeside in the surf and chop and my new Session 2 harness worked perfectly.

Signature

Joined 2008-10-02

PM

Oh yeah, putting it on. It takes about 10 seconds to run the loop through the spreader bar and harness. No quick release like the new Mystics or Cabrinhas, but still not difficult or time consuming.

Signature

Joined 2009-03-16

PM

Hey, would this sort out the quick release problem and would make the harness easier to put on?

http://www.powerkiteshop.com/accessories/mauimagickitesurfspreaderss.htm

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

smg

As I said above the issue of a ‘quick release’ on the spreader bar is not an issue on the Ocean Rodeo Session harness. Quick releases like this fail. Why would you want a quick release on this harness anyway? You have that facility on the handle pass leash where most riders attach their safety line. Some attach to the spreader bar itself and you have a quick release on most leash straps. The harness has those zipped sides for concealing the buckles for the leg straps and any loose strap.  So no need for a quick release spreader bar.

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2009-03-16

PM

Ok,,,, its just I was talking to a fella who said that this part was recomended to him.

Thanks

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Quick releases can fail, and more importantly, they often interfere with 1) the fit and 2) getting the strap really snug and tight. That’s we we don’t put them on. I’ve been down that road and would never use or buy a harness with one again.

It takes seconds to pass the webbing through the hook…..but if those count for you then here are a couple of suggestions…. LOL

1) Just loosen the strap and step in and out of the harness.

2) Just undo one side. Once you get the the fit dialed after the first ride you only need to loosen/tighten one side of the harness anyway.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-09-04

PM

Evan is there anyone that can re/re the webbing on my 08 harness ive seem to have cut into it by to much usage - the harness still looks newish but….. i would hate to have to throw it away because of that.

Signature

I love to Kiteboard

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2009-07-07

PM

UK stock?

anyone have any ideas on UK stock of the session 2?
have had one on order forever from kiteboardinguk.com and they are waiting shipment from OR…. but no dates given.

ireally want my new session2 but its been so long on order I may stray to another make….. please dont make me leave…..  downer

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

mossman - 07 July 2009 05:07 AM

Evan is there anyone that can re/re the webbing on my 08 harness ive seem to have cut into it by to much usage - the harness still looks newish but….. i would hate to have to throw it away because of that.

Brian,

I’m sure you can find a canvas or sail shop somewhere in Vancouver that can stitch a new strap on.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2009-07-08

PM

How close to a seat harness is it with the straps? 

I’m just starting out, and need a seat harness, but from what I hear, I’ll want a waist harness in no time. 
Is it “seat” enough for a noobie?

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Johnny, that’s a great question.  The choice of a waist harness vs a seat harness really boils down to personal preference rather than skill level.

There are many people who learn in a waist, and many long time experts who ride in a seat. In general, a waist harness gives you a higher hook position and frees you up, which is commonly preferred for riding surf, but at the same time many of the best freestylers in the world also a prefer a waist harness.  Riders who prefer a seat harness like the extra support and ” locked ” feel, and many people feel that riding with a seat harness is easier on your back.

The upside to all this confusion is that you don’t need to make a choice if you go with the Session. With the straps removed, it’ a very simple, true waste harness. Add the leg straps, and you can then keep the harness positioned as a waist harness (up high) but get the added benefit of the support, or you can lower the harness down over your hips and ride it in the same position as a dedicated seat harness.

Cheers,

Evam

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Joined 2006-09-04

PM

tongue laugh ...

Signature

I love to Kiteboard

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Brian, just give HQ a call and ask them.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Joined 2006-09-04

PM

oops i guess that should have been my first thing ....duh my bad

ps love the suits

on the flip side… i have a session 2 and i really like it, fits well and the bar pad - yeah haw doesn’t flip when you jump

Signature

I love to Kiteboard

Joined 2009-07-07

PM

still waiting for my session 2 here in the Uk :-(

come on OR tell me when I will expect it, my old harness is almost in bits…..

15/07/09…. gosh… I can almost taste the tumbleweed…....... no replies ... boo hoo I am upset now….. :-(

Joined 2009-07-07

PM

nobody home?
its soooooo lonely here…

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2007-01-05

PM

Hey Brassneck…drop me a line at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

The forum is sometimes not the best method for sales related questions. It is made up mostly of riders like yourself who don’t always have a handle on who does and doesn’t hold stock of our items worlwide.

The dealer finder on our website is also a very useful tool. I can point you in the right direction.

Cheers.

Joined 2009-07-07

PM

kevin,
thanks for the reply, have dropped you a mail.
cheers
rob.

Total Posts: 65

Joined 2007-09-14

PM

Just got mine this week, feels good

tho i did change the spreaderbar on spot, just prefer a quick release on that

Joined 2008-10-02

PM

Once again, kudos for the improvements with the Session 2. I’ve got enough time on it now to have it well broken in and it’s just as supportive and comfortable as the first day I used it.

Signature

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2007-09-15

PM

My local OR rep had a couple of these with him last night. OMG they are awesome. If only I had the cash and could justify replacing my current harness. The build quality is fantastic plus the new mods they have made over the old harness make it well worth the cash. I will be getting one once I’ve raided someone elses piggy bank or something.

My ONLY criticism is the waist strap length, as there’s no quick releaseI’d like to see a longer strap on at least one side to allow you to more easily leave one side at your normal in use position and use the longer side to loosen off and climb in/out of. It is possible, but I think with a longer strap it would just allow you a bit more movement to do up the elastic without the pad getting in the way. That is minor though and just comes from complete laziness in not wanting to undo the whole thing all the time.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, better than a warm soapy tit wank.

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2010-08-16

PM

Been using my Session 2 for a few weeks now and pretty happy with it, as long as I can keep my nuts away from the legstraps. shut eye  Couple questions:

1) Do the shorts that go with it actually exist?  On the OR site it just says “coming soon”... but I swear I’ve heard people talk of using them.

2) Has anybody ever had the handlepass release come undone when they didn’t want it to?  (I feel like I read this somewhere, but now I can’t find it).  Just looking at the design I’m not super satisfied with it.  Would hate to lose my kite while riding unhooked.  Moreover, I don’t need that release since my leash has its own… so I disabled it by connecting the loops (the ones the metal pin goes through) with a stainless quick link.  If the pin was a little longer, I’d feel better about it the way it was.

3) Does anybody use it in seat mode shirtless?  I have to wear a thick wetsuit where I ride, but I tried it on shirtless, and while the inside of the harness is very smooth/comfy, the legstraps, where they come through the holes (at top inside of harness), are very rough, even sharp around the edges of the webbing, and I am pretty sure they’d leave me bleeding after 5 minutes.  They could really use some kind of cover… either that, or come out the bottom of the harness rather than the top (though that would limit your options for vertical placement of the harness between “seat/waist” heights, I think).

Signature

Joined 2008-10-02

PM

I’ve been using the Session and now the Session 2 harness for a long time and I’ve never had the leash handle pass release ever come loose. As for the neoprene shorts, I know OR used to make them, not sure if they still do. I think Kitty Hawk Kites http://www.kittyhawk.com still has the neoprene shorts in stock. Never tried the harness shirtless with the leg straps, so no help there.

Aloha,
Jeff

Signature

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2009-07-24

PM

The111,

I’ve had my handlepass leash come undone once, a couple months ago, on my Session 1 harness in 2 years of use. It happened during a massive crash (learning to kiteloop, unhooked) but luckily I was leashed to the spreader bar at the time. I don’t know if the release snagged on something or just came loose. I now check to make sure the release pin is well seated before going out and haven’t had any problems, but I have and still am seriously considering disabling the system.

I agree about the pin length - if I need to activate this system I am going to be pulling so hard that an extra 5-10mm of travel before release will not make a difference.

silas