leash for One kite

Total Posts: 86

Joined 1969-12-31

PM

General quesiton here

I am thinking about purchasing a leash for One kite - are they available yet? If yes, when and where and how much, if not, when will they be available?
in my opinion they should come as standard equipment, those kites can get disattached and they can fly for quite a long distance, possibly creating some damage and hitting somebody. I think, OR crew should consider this suggestion.

bp

Joined 1969-12-31

PM

[quote author=“Vineyardkite”]If you purchased the OR bar with your kite you should have got a leash with the bar…. If you are using another brands bar make sure you hook up the leash to a center line to avoid the “Spiral of Death” LOL

Yeah, I purchased OR bar with kite, complete thing, but it was in February/March, and the dealer (Winnipeg, Mark Koening) told me that OR did not supply the leashes yet for those kites or for some reasone it was not included. Does that mean I could ask them for free leash? I would like to have one

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2006-01-17

PM

I’ve been using the 12 m One with the front line leash and find that it works well.  However, when spinning the bar after a rotation the leash gets tangled around the front lines/c-loop.  I thought that if I simply fed the leash leader line through the centre hole in the bar then there would be no problem.  However, the stopper ball on the front line, when leash is activated, would prvent front line from depowering.

My only solution was to unclip and then reclip the leash when the leash was was unwound.

Any other ideas how to approach this issue.

In the past I’ve used a bar similar to the Punch Out whereby the leash was attached to a rear line and then to the spinning c- loop.

Brad

Signature

St. John’s Newfoundland

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2006-01-18

PM

spin the opposite way. problem solved

Signature

Ocean Rodeo Rep Ireland

Joined 1969-12-31

PM

[quote author=“mfd1068”]Clip your leash to the D ring on the Chicken loop.You can spin without tangling your leash.

smile

Do you think using D-ring on the chicken loop is good solution? What I mean say you release your kite by pulling on the chicken loop sleeve and your lease is still attached to the chicken loop. So now the kite is out of your reach but still potentially powered up. Or am I missing something?

bp

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2006-01-17

PM

Brian:
I’m spinning the bar to untwist the lines.  The leash doesn’t twist around the c-loop during a rotation just after when you spin the bar. 

Yes you could connect to the d-ring but I like the added safety of the front line release.

Punch out bars, of course, don’t have this issue because they have the release on rear line and the spinning clip on c-loop.

Brad

Signature

St. John’s Newfoundland

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2006-01-20

PM

My leashes have a quick release next to the clip, which I attach to the spreader bar on my harness.If things go really wrong, I can detach from the whole mess as a last resort. Mainly I use the leash as a back-up in case the chicken loop slips out of the hook.

Signature

Its all about the adventure and stoke!

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2006-01-18

PM

i mean you spin the opposite way. do a back roll going the opposite direction or a front roll.

you’ll progree much faster by forcing yourself like this

Signature

Ocean Rodeo Rep Ireland

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Gents!

1st off - In January / February we shipped a lot of kites without leashes, thinking that people could use the chicken loop as a leash. We then added the thumb screw to the upper stopper ball and this required that we added a front line leash. SO, if you don’t have a leash talk to your dealer and we will send you on FREE!

2nd off - Leash set-ups:

1) As it ships you have a front line leash. Use this if you are comfortable with it as such. This will allow you to have the stopper ball locked out if you like but will result in the leash wrapping on the lines if you spin a lot.

2) You can either take the thumb screw right out of the upper stopper or knock the stopper up and off the line plug to thereby allow the kite to fully de-power off the front lines if you simply let go of the bar. If you are doing this you can avoid the use of a leash and simply keep yourself hooked in on the chickenloop. Likelwise you could run a leash from the chicken loop to your harness if you wanted to go un hooked a few times.

3) You can also just leash off the chicken loop if you are comfortable with the fact that the kite will not totally de-power if you let go of the bar. In this case we recommend that you attach to the front line leash connector by the swivel the supplied grab handle, so that if things go wrong you can grab that handle and kill the power in the kite.

4) You can also, if you are experimental, remove the orange connector cable from the two stoppers. Then, attach a length of spectra line off on the bar side of the swivel up by the front lines. Run this length of spectra down through the first stopper’s 3rd hole, through the bar and through the lower stopper’s 3rd hole. Tie a knot and loop in the end of the spectra line so that the line is long enough for the trim strap to be fully extended. Leash off of this spectra line. This option will disable the unique lower stopper ball’s ability to allow you to re-set the upper stopper but it will keep the leash clear of the bar as it spins, and will safely pull the kite down in MOST situations. Please note that this system can be foiled if the lines get tangled, etc.

John Z