And so it begins…..2010 Mako King!!!!

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

A few pics to wet your whistle.  Twin tip or mutant style - you pick your poison.

Questions? Fire away!

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2007-12-05

PM

Interesting…. Looks very versatile!

So the obvious questions:

How long?
How wide?

The less obvious(maybe):

Is the board shape symmetric or asymmetric?
What fin setup will it come with?

Also why does OR produce the best boards out there? smile

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

AlexZ,

It’s 165cm x 45cm and the shape is symmetric. It can be ridden as a true twin tip or as a Mutant/bidirectional.

1) In twin tip mode, it works very well as a light wind board and goes upwind as well as your average 6’ directional. It feels very similar to the current 150 Wide, but of course requires more rail pressure to rip turns. In high wind you can rig 1-2 kites smaller.

2) The mutant set up ROCKS. Excellent performance in both light and heavy air (this will be my go-to board with a 4m Rise in 30+). Very fluid, carvy and smooth, yet you can slash turns as hard as you want. For the beginner/intermediate, this board will accelerate your learning curve in the surf/big swell like not other…....and for the expert jonesing for the right mix between a sick surfboard and a killer twin tip, it knows no limits. gulp

It even rides and jumps well backwards!

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2008-09-25

PM

Demo?

Signature

Have fun out there!

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Not yet, but not that far off! Check your preferred retailer for details on pricing, availability and demos.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2008-10-21

PM

Looks pretty sweet.

Signature

Rise 7,10,14m | Mako Wide | Nobile T555

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2009-05-23

PM

What about rocker and bottom shape?  Still concave rail to rail?

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2006-01-20

PM

looks like a really interesting board, especially for those that mainly ride flat water and only venture out into surf once in a while. I’ve seen RM ripping it up in Victoria and it looks good. grin

Signature

Its all about the adventure and stoke!

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Davo - 07 July 2009 09:06 PM

Yes, it’s just like the other Makos!

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2007-11-07

PM

SWEEETTTTT!!!

Signature

Click here for my Photography => http://www.WMD.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: 2009 Rise 10m & 8m
Boards:Ocean Rodeo Raceboard, Ocean Rodeo: Mako 140cm,
Wetsuit:Hyperflex: AMP 4/3

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

Strap inserts - from the pics it looks like in the regular-footed Mutant set-up there’s a slight duck. Are there enough inserts for a goofy-footer to ride ducked-out, or do goofies have to ride pigeon-toed ?

Signature

Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Hi Greg,

Actually, the mutant inserts are set up on the centerline so there is no duck - therefore the board can be ridden toeside or heelside the same way from either side of the board.

It’s the twin tip set of inserts that are ducked slightly. In this configuration it’s unlikely that anyone would want to ride with the thrusters in place.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2007-05-22

PM

I guess it is time to save up for another toy—will pricing be in line with the other Mako boards?

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Yes, the King is a few bucks more but not much (2010 US MRSP $825, vs $799 for the twins). Please contact your preferred retailer to lock down yours. Based on early interest and orders, my expectation is that the first batch of Kings will be presold long before we have them. Don’t miss the boat!

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2008-10-01

PM

sweet color! it will be interesting to see it working on waves.

ch

Signature

Ocean Rodeo Rep.
St. John’s Newfoundland, Canada

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Just a quick note from Europe, this board is incredibly fun to ride and is very easy to set-up ( everything makes sense when you have it all in front of you).

Please note that while the mutant inserts are set down the middle the foot pads themselves offer up to roughly 10 degrees of cant for those that want a duck or front foot rotated stance…

JZ

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2008-04-03

PM

How ‘bout putting a big deck pad on that guy, and rock sans straps?

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2006-04-18

PM

Sans straps on this board is going to be killa! 

I occasionally rock the original 150 Mako strapless with just a good amount of wax - It’s a fun, skatey ride but this thing is going to be a blast strapless.  A good amount of wax is really I’ll expect you’ll need to lose the straps.

Pre-ordered mine today!

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

Great looking board, I shall consider it.

Some questions:
The board comes configured as a twin tip with pads and straps. How many fins does it ship with? Two would be implied from the twin tip configuration. Are there special mutant foot straps and/or pads? Do these ship separately?

I like the idea of bringing back a mutant.

regards
Kirk

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2009-06-03

PM

Good day, everyone,

First of all, need to tell, that 2010 Mako King looks awsome, hope it rides awsome too smile.

But I do have a question about a 2010 Mako King:

If this board is designed to ride twin tip mode and mutant mode as a regular surf board, shouldn’t straps for it be mutant too ? I mean, that when I will ride one side, the straps will be ok, bu if I will make a turn, I won’t be able use straps anymore, because, straps are not “mutant”. Of course, except if I will ride back in switch stance smile.

Did I explained my question clear ? If not, please, let me know and I will do my best to explain better.

Thank You for You answers.

Have a good day,
Milijonas

Team Baltic, Lithuania

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2006-01-17

PM

Good question Milijonas
What you are asking is will the footstraps be a dual entry strap to ride from either side or single entry to ride like a twin tip.
(I don’t have the answer but just clarifying your question for some)
Board looks fantastic, King Kamehamako
Mark

Joined 2006-04-18

PM

The straps and pads will be symmetrical allowing you to ride either direction when riding as a mutant.

Inserts allow for midline riding (mutant) or ducked (twin tip).

Should be a killer board.

Joined 2009-09-09

PM

Guys, I really like this Mako KING design.

What about the low wind capabilities of this board?
Is it equal to or better than a DOOR?

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Jero,

I can’t make a direct comparison to a Door (you’ll never catch me on something that isn’t fun to ride….smile ), but I can say that the light wind performance of the King is outstanding. Basically, if the wind’s too light to ride a King and have fun on it, you’re better off staying on the beach!

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I put my mako 150 wide next to the King at Nitinat and thought right away that this new board
is going to have even greater range than the 150.
It was sure popular, because I never had a chance to grab one and ride it.
They had a couple for use, but each was set up either goofy or regular stance.
Dual entry is another great option and would allow for a lot of riding styles.
I spoke to guys who rode the King and they noticed right away how easy this board points upwind.
It should be killer in surf conditions, and anywhere else where the tide or winds are conspiring to keep you downwind.
For really lite winds I am hooked on my race board…it rips!

Ross and his awesome prototypes.

Total Posts: 315

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

OK I have a question, since I hate riding surf directional.  Is the light wind performance the same riding twin tip as riding mutant.  You would think that you would lose some riding mutant as more weight riding at the rear of the board.  Second how is it riding toe side while set up in Mutant.  Third is there any left for pre-order of the first batch if not if I order one now would I have it by late April.

Thanks,

Jason

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Yeah if I don’t pre-order one when will it be available?

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

000044105 - 11 September 2009 05:07 PM

OK I have a question, since I hate riding surf directional.  Is the light wind performance the same riding twin tip as riding mutant.  You would think that you would lose some riding mutant as more weight riding at the rear of the board.  Second how is it riding toe side while set up in Mutant.  Third is there any left for pre-order of the first batch if not if I order one now would I have it by late April.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason,

Performance in light wind is about the same whether you’re riding mutant or twin tip style - volume and rail length don’t change of course so if there is a difference it’s not really noticeable. Either way, it’s really great!

Toeside rocks on this board - from this aspect it’s one of the best boards I’ve ever ridden. Even taking off and landing jumps toeside is easy.

We’ll have these boards soon, so having one for April won’t be an issue - just don’t wait until last minute to order in case we happen to be oversold at the time… grin

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 98

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

I got to ride the King and love it. Carves great, goes up wind like a surfboard, doesn’t feel as big as it’s dimensions! I was in marginal winds with the new 9m Rise and was able to go upwind while others were struggeling. Can’t wait to get mine in the surf, when I get it!! How soon before the release? Thanks Windance for the treat!!
Pete

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

Broke down just ordered mine, getting rid of my spleen monster door and Jimmy lewis Chamber 6’1 replacing with one board, anyone interested in my two boards.

Jason

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2007-01-05

PM

How soon before the release? Thanks Windance for the treat!!

First production run has arrived…first boards are going out the door today!!

Anyone with pre-orders should see them early next week.

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

Yahoo!!!
Pete

Total Posts: 75

Joined 2007-04-23

PM

so i had a fun session yesturday on the mako king. i pretty much just ride strapless so i took off the straps and rubbed some wax all over that baby. very surprised! i was on a 9 rise 2010 in river swell and the wave slashing was effortless. i think i might have to make room for this board in my quiver. fits right in between the skim and surf for the strapless kiter. its like surf skate meets longboard (due to the big round nose). its pretty light as well. or has something special here.

Joined 2006-04-18

PM

From My Session Log on 10/29/09:

All hail the king…Mako King.  First time out on the king - what can I say but I love this board. 

Started off fairly marginal, lighter winds and somewhat underpowered on the 12 Rise.  Noticed a lot of people getting sucked downwind while the mako was screaming along.  Has a supercool feeling underfoot - don’t know how to describe it yet.  Loaned to board to trotman who proceeded to do an upwinder about a mile to IOP while I was struggling to hold any ground my FLx.  Back on my twin tip all I noticed was spray and jarring chop.  The king could ruin regular twin tips for me.  Got the board back eventually in stronger winds and bigger waves - Amazing - very floaty and carvey in the waves, will hold perfectly in the pocket if you slow it down a bit.  Smooth in the air and with landings, back rolls were a breeze, the swing weight definitely became apparent on front rolls - in a fun windsurfer kind of way. 

After one session I can say I loved the low end, the smoothness, wave riding and upwind ability. Not a board for technical riding but for soul sessions or as compliment to your twin tip I don’t think it will be easy to beat.  Everyone who tried it loved it , one person ordered it already, I for one can’t wait to get a another session.

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

I’ve had my King for almost 6 weeks now and love it more and more. Been out in great 6m Rise conditons at Rufus in beautiful swell and carved turns ‘till the old legs couldn’t turn anymore! What a blast!!  Was out one day at Event site and was the only one staying upwind in very marginal conditons powered nicely by the 12 Rise. I still love my 150 Mako and is my favorite board for most days but the King is so fun to surf on and great when the winds are marginal or up and down!! Thanks OR!!
Pete

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

CAM, Pete, thanks for the review, were you riding it mutant or TT? (I gues w/o straps there’s no answer to this…)

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

I’ve been riding it mutant. I should try it TT but really like to go out and carve turns on the waves. I’m use to riding it this way now and jumping and riding with it “dominant back foot” forward is no problem. My only complaint is I can’t “duck foot” the straps because of the insert placements but fixed this with special NSI pads that can rotate with the straps attached to the mounting plate not the board inserts. It would be great if OR would offset some inserts to accomplish this.

Joined 2006-04-18

PM

I’ve actually been riding a combo of twin tip and mutant and find it works really well.  By this I mean feet roughly equi-distance apart, front foot ducked and back foot relatively straight.

For fins I’m riding one in the front, and three in back BUT am using all small fins in the back.  The three small fins don’t seem to catch in TT mode and provide a little more drive in the waves.  Also find you can put more lateral pressure on the back foot and really drive the board up wind on the reaches (sort of windsurfer style) and in the waves ride the fins or the rail. If we get some good waves soon will put in the larger supplied wave fin and see how she does. 

Again I’ve only ridden it a few times and have already been really impressed. Looking forward to trying all the different set ups including strapless.

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2008-09-16

PM

The Mako King is twice the light-wind board i thought it would be.

It’s fun to ride, feels like my 150 Mako Wide, and it gets me an extra two kite sizes on the low end.

It’s hard to describe the feeling of it, but I would just call it “smooth”. I really like it, still waiting on some waves to try it in.

Signature

Shane
http://www.MASSkiting.com
Boston Area Kite Community
Ocean Rodeo Crew

Joined 2009-11-16

PM

Can anybody give an idea of the upwind performance of the Mako King compared to a raceboard and a conventional TT.

I find that a raceboard can point 15-20 degrees higher than my 132x39 TT. My 135x48 TT can match the raceboard upwind angle but is really slow that close to the wind.

I am looking for a board to do 5-6 km upwinders with a lot of fun with waves and stuff on the return downwind leg. I like the idea and the versatility of a TT/mutant.

We have been test riding the 2009 and 2010 North RaceLTD and it is fine for getting upwind but not a lot of fun on the downwind leg.

Joined 2006-04-18

PM

OrGoz,

This is your board!  Points higher than any other twin tip I have ridden, will even do so in light winds.  You will will not have a hard time having fun on the downwind return trip - especially if there are some waves!

Can’t compare it to a race board for up wind ability - but by looking at the two, I can tell you the king will definitely be the more fun of the two.

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2008-09-16

PM

I agree. It points upwind much better than a twin tip and even better than my mako wide. Even in light wind you can dig the edge in and cruise upwind.

Signature

Shane
http://www.MASSkiting.com
Boston Area Kite Community
Ocean Rodeo Crew

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

I just got the first Mako Kings that will be ridden in Thailand (where they are made) ...

We are all pretty excited, as too much lite wind is our curse here ... especially for bigger fella’s where a 16mtr kite is almost mandatory ... AND we’ve got 5 days of 20kts from the best direction forecast for the next 5 days !!! ... I hope I’m reporting back with news that I hardly need my 16mtr truck anymore !

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2010-02-23

PM

Mako King !!
Hey Fellows do you find the board slips out when it is windy & you are edgeing hard . Lets say just before you jump . I am interested in buying one but am chasing some info first . Thanks Qld/ Australia.

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

Never had that happen to me Fly Man ... you need a few sessions to dial into the Mako’s if you haven’t ridden them much ...

Joined 2010-02-23

PM

Thanks Buzzz ! I have sailed surf boards & twin tips for 7 years & use Flysurfer Kites but am keen on trying some thing new . I saw a 140 x 40 Mako at our local beach on the Sunshine Coast Qld and am keen on buying that or the King . But as you know we all hesitate on some thing different . I thought the wide tail may cause tail slip . But hey thanks !!

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

I’ve ridden the original 150 MAKO & now the 150 wide for years & with the concave they rarely slide out ... If your edging they just hold ... Yet if you want them loose you just flatten them out & your good to go ... The ‘mutant’ king gives the option of a more directional ride if desired & the 130 is said to be a lively little rocket , but (as usual) I digress I only have experience (~ 7 years) on the 150’s & would recommend them to anyone.

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2010-02-23

PM

jl / When you say the 150 wide . Is that the 1500 x 400 or is their a wider version . My twin tip is 1460 x 430 slingshot / so I wasn’t sure if the 400 would be wide enough . my directional is also 430 wide . May be being a bit longer will compansate the difference. What do you recon !!

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

40cm ... It is just fine !!! Though the ‘King’ is 165 x 45cm ... & can be set up as a directional (Mutant)  http://oceanrodeo.com/kiting/mako-king

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

For Craig,

Hey saw your video’s on Kite Forum, you said riding with three fins on one side and the single on the other side.  Are you riding the board in twin stance or mutant, just want to know, my board is waiting for me in New Brunswick can’t use it till April when I’m going to hatteras.

Jason

Signature

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Here is another one from today,
remebered to put the card in AND turn it on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGmggPLTHWg

dude
this board will morph to your style of riding
I went to 3 small fins rear foot, one small fin front foot-mutant mode
This keeps my speed up but allows a lot of bite in the turns
in the small stuff we get in the sound.
I also removed the pads and waxed the deck.
My winter 7mmm cold fire booties were kinda snug for the pad/straps
and all that thickness made the board feel kinda spongy.
A waxed mako under foot is a sensitive high performance machine.
I ended up waxing my 150x40 too!
I took the dual entry straps off my mako surf and put them on the King,
but I really only ride it on one side.

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2009-07-19

PM

Ok so I caved…..waved the Mastercard and will be picking up the new “regal” board on Thursday.
I already have a 140 Mako wide as my main board but I got the King because I want to learn to ride waves and to
have more fun on lighter days.
I have never ridden a board other than a twin tip and I expect learning may be “character building” but I am a stubborn sob
so want to configure the king mutant and learn it that way. Can anyone please give some tips and pointers as to how to
learn to ride my new joujou, any help would be very much appreciated.

TIA

Hatteras 47 days and counting wink

craig myers - 23 March 2010 05:17 AM

rolleyes  wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlI-kuxGSbQ

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

just ride it

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

You are gonna love this board, c’mon thursday!
Hmmm, I would suggest setting the fins and straps up as a twin tip 1st.
This will give you a good performance baseline (and the best low end)
After that try the mutant mode with different fin configurations, either regular or goofy,
and get into some real waves man!
(wish I was going to hatteras too big surprise )

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2010-02-10

PM

Yes, definitely try Twin-tip mode first. Once you switch to Mutant mode, you most likely will never go back to the Twin-tip mode again wink

I used to ride 2008 Mako wide 150 for 1.5 years - Mako King is the whole new world.

Joined 2010-02-10

PM

One thing about the pads on Mako King.

For riding twin-tip the pads are positioned sideways, for riding mutant they are positioned strictly perpendicular, 90 degrees to the fins. For surf straps if you are going to do jibing that’s fine. But the Mutant allows to ride in reverse, and riding toe-side is just a pleasure. So if you are not into jibing (and that’s I think the key advantage of Mako King), I think it might be a good idea to position the pads slightly sideways, too - like in the twin-tip mode. The holes for the screws do not allow it, but the pads themselves allow to position them sideways but only very slightly.

On surfboards the straps are usually loose to make jibing easier, and this gives some freedom to position the feet sideways, too. I don’t jibe on Mako King and instead of making the straps loose I would rather have the pads positioned sideways. Otherwise the feet position is somewhat uncomfortable.

Has anyone tried it?

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Every rider is different.
I’ve evolved to this set up recently.
The pads are removed, and surf wax is on the deck.
Dual entry straps, so the board is ready to demo as a mutant
w/o preference to stance (goofy or regular)
Brad Gardon at windance suggested I try the King waxed and strapless.
This fin configuration adds more bite to goofy heelside edging, and classic mako carve toeside.
The fun just never ends! raspberry

Joined 2010-02-10

PM

michaelt - 24 March 2010 11:04 PM

One thing about the pads on Mako King.

For riding twin-tip the pads are positioned sideways, for riding mutant they are positioned strictly perpendicular, 90 degrees to the fins. For surf straps if you are going to do jibing that’s fine. But the Mutant allows to ride in reverse, and riding toe-side is just a pleasure. So if you are not into jibing (and that’s I think the key advantage of Mako King), I think it might be a good idea to position the pads slightly sideways, too - like in the twin-tip mode. The holes for the screws do not allow it, but the pads themselves allow to position them sideways but only very slightly.

On surfboards the straps are usually loose to make jibing easier, and this gives some freedom to position the feet sideways, too. I don’t jibe on Mako King and instead of making the straps loose I would rather have the pads positioned sideways. Otherwise the feet position is somewhat uncomfortable.

Has anyone tried it?

I can’t believe it - only yesterday I had this wish, and today it’s already invented:

http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=12&idproduct=281

I wonder if these rotating straps will fit the Mako… The inventors claim it will fit most of the boards.

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi Michael,
that’s a nice vid for sure! pretty good riding too.
Rotating straps have been coming and going over the last decades, here’s some interesting reading material - from 1983.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2010-04-01

PM

So how’s the performance in chop. To get to good waves here (Nassau) one must deal with chop.

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Dude
Mako’s destroy the chop and you feel nothing but a little bumps.
Ya gotta try one. wink

Joined 2010-04-01

PM

Thanks. What do they weigh? That detail omitted in specs.
They must feel kinda chunky in the air, no?

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-10-20

PM

Has anyone used the mako king or 150 with large flysurfer kite. I have the speed 3 19m and thinking the 150 mako would be perfert to use with the kite. I think the king would be a bit too big, I have tried large flysurfer boards and they are no fun at all just ankle busters, 150 sounds the way to go - anyone had experience?

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Hi Kitejunkiee,
I used a Mako 150 with PsychoIII 13, after the 150 I got a 140. I needed 2kts more on the low end with the 140 but got more fun.
I used the 140 with a Speed2 15m once after the wind was too low for the P3 13. I had full till overpower with the 15m… great experience.
If you’re big then probably the 150 is the way to go otherwise a 140 will do the trick.

I’m a light weight so a FS Speed 15m will be the biggest kite I will buy ( If I would buy it) but they turn to slow imo, I see more in a bigger board like the King and a smaller kite.

I would like a King in my quiver but it won’t fit in my 4’10” travelbag (a 150 “mini King” would… .. . OR lets make that perfect travel board! make it so you stand a bit more above the thruster fins, 150x43, full deckpad, symmetrical straps)

What is your quiver KJ?

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2007-05-26

PM

I used a Mako 150x40 with a flysurfer speed2 19 for a couple of summers in 10-15 knots in open ocean conditions.  It worked great! Held its edge really well when the big beast powered up, good and very comfortable upwind, and of course fabulous in confused seas and chop.  I think that the fact that in light wind you can flatten the board and keep your weight well forward makes the Makos work well with non-grunty apparent wind kites. 

I have sold the speed2 and am now debating between a speed3 15 and a big inflatable for my lightwind kite (I have gone to Rise 8 and 11 for my smaller kites, and much as I liked my pulses and P3s the Rises are less hassle, more versatile, and better behaved).  Whatever I get I will be using it with the Mako king!  (Don’t confuse a Mako king with a Door—I used a Door 164 for a couple of years and agree it was a pain in the butt in anything but dead flat conditions.  I have had the king out it big lake chop / low 20s with a RIse 11 and it is smooth as silk—IMHO you do NOT lose handling and comfort with the bigger board the way you do with a normal twintip.  These boards are magic!)

Andy

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

The Mako King is actually super easy to gybe, especially strapless with the optional full size deck pad…...in my opinion she’s by far the funnest in this configuration….waves or flat water. If you haven’t tried the King strapless, you’re really missing out - I encourage you to give it a go!

Light and nimble, but yet stable and smooth….smile

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2007-05-26

PM

EvanStolze - 05 April 2010 08:49 PM

The Mako King is actually super easy to gybe, especially strapless with the optional full size deck pad…...in my opinion she’s by far the funnest in this configuration….waves or flat water. If you haven’t tried the King strapless, you’re really missing out - I encourage you to give it a go!

Light and nimble, but yet stable and smooth….smile

Is the deck pad for the King available from OR or from dealers?

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Yes, you can order the pad and directional straps from any OR retailer.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-10-20

PM

Hi Janus. I have 8,10,12 rise and 19m speed 3 de. The speed 3 is a great kite, use it more than the others, simply because can be out when otherwise you wouldnt even get your inflatable off the sand.

I use a 151 LF proof with the 19m speed 3 under 12 kts and over 12 kts the 129zen. I think the 150 mako would be perfect for the speed 3.

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI7fC-n7rzY

local rider Steve Anderson giving the King a go today

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2010-04-28

PM

Joined 2010-05-10

PM

hello I am very interested in this board but everyone mentions the low end but how does it handle in overpowered conditions is it to big when it gets crazy out there?
I also have large feet and normally pads are to small my toes over hang them, what is the length of the pads?
I also am thinking this would be a great board for the larger people I am 6’5” 205lb’s could this be the one board I am looking for I mean I don’t want 3 boards to take to the beach?
Thanks for any input.

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Adam, at 150 lbs I ride the King in strapless mutant mode in 25knots + with a 6m…..there is no chance this board will ever be too big for you assuming you’ve got the right kite up. The King is a like a good surfboard in that it works well in light to heavy air….and is super versatile in a variety of conditions. The optional full deck pad (pictured above) covers the majority of the deck so I don’t think you’d have a problem there.  Pretty tough to beat the King when it comes to a one board quiver….!

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

I’m thinking about getting a King to complement my Mako 140 which I love. The King looks interesting to me, mainly from the standpoint that I love riding in waves, but I don’t want to worry with gybes, and I’m still learning toeside. My question would be for anyone who rode a true directional with straps compared to the King in mutant form, how does it compare?

Also, what advantages does the King have over the Mako 140 in waves, I can carve up a wave on the 140 and love the swing weight in it compared to the 150. I’m just worried the King might be too bulky and that it wouldn’t get much use over the Mako 140.

So basically I’m thinking about riding the 140 in anything over 18 knots and on flat water as my twintip. I’d ride the king anytime we have decent waves and as a lightwind board.

Joined 2010-02-10

PM

“...I’m still learning toeside.”

I couldn’t ride toeside for a long time. Then I got Dynabar and finally was able to do it. Eventually I was able to ride Mako 150 without Dynabar, but it was uncomfortable. With King everything has changed - I don’t like riding with Dynabar anymore and actually do prefer a non-sliding hook. I can stay toeside for a long time and not get tired at all, I can edge as hard or as little as I want - everything feels very comfortable and natural.

I thought that maybe I simply figured out how to ride toeside, and can ride toeside any board as good as I do it on Mako King. But recently I rode a couple of twin-tips, and even though I managed to ride them toeside, it wasn’t nearly as comfortable as on Mako King.

Mako King is a very versatile board, but when it comes to riding (and definitely learning) toeside in particular - this is THE board.

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Yeah I’m just wondering how it will be carving up waves in mutant mode. I hear a lot that it’s really smooth in chop, etc. but I haven’t seen a lot of videos of someone going down the line on it.

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

aye…I second that one!
C’mon OR dudes…drive across the island and take a King down the line with a go pro man.
cheese

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

The King is super fun everything from onshore to side-off down-the-line conditions. I ride mine strapless with the biggest surf fins I could find that fit the board…..it’s not quite as ” soft ” as a surfboard in the turns and you ride it a little differently than you would a surfboard - no better or worse, just different. Give it a go…..smile

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Yeah definitely think I’m going to pull the trigger. With the deck pad and straps, those can be setup basically in whatever configuration as the normal pads/straps?

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I jumped a hundred times and carved hard as heck on the king today
friday sessions after work are the best man!
the only negative I’ve found is when u ride without the thrusters
those fin holes will squirt water when u rail it hard upwind in mutant mode
the best part?
my bones are thank’n OR big time for these footbeds
I can’t believe I can still walk gulp

Joined 2010-05-15

PM

I’ve found that the foot pads on the King do not hold my feet in very well.  Has anyone else observed this?  I have pretty big feet (size 14), but have never noticed this issue with the footpads on the 2008 Cabrinha Prodigy.

Are the hole patterns on the King are compatible with 2010 Cabrinha Sync foot pads?

Joined 2010-04-01

PM

EvanStolze - 14 May 2010 06:57 PM

The King is super fun everything from onshore to side-off down-the-line conditions. I ride mine strapless with the biggest surf fins I could find that fit the board…..it’s not quite as ” soft ” as a surfboard in the turns and you ride it a little differently than you would a surfboard - no better or worse, just different. Give it a go…..smile

Just got my board- in time for no wind lull : (

So I’ll tweek instead. What sized fins did you end up with and from where? I’m thinking about running as mutant with bigger twinzer fins out back and single med fin up front.

Do I need to fill center rear holes? Or maybe just put in micro 0.75” fin to fill?

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2009-06-10

PM

i’ll give my .02

im linebacker size- sold a 150x40 as i had to be pretty juiced to have fun on it

got the mako king-  really fun.  tried it first mutant and good stuff- easy to ride backwards.  fun in the waves - close enough to surfboard feel for me plus 100x more durable than a surfboard and fin boxes.

tried it in twin tip mode- awesome.  great for slop chop/waves.  easy to slash it around/stand on the back foot for some spray, upwind is good, fav is coming back to beach fast over small breakin waves- old twin tip had the fear of pearlin the nose and superman’n it - mako king is like a cadillac sliding down a hill covered in pudding.  toeside is very easy on the king.

jumps- gotta make sure to land tail first otherwise a little jarring but easy trade off for allround fun

pads & straps- footpads are great, straps actually are cutting into my lower leg at bend above ankle- that material is hard - hopin it softens up/bends or ill have to change straps.

A+ reco for any big boi’s looking for a fun board

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2009-06-10

PM

meant to add on footstraps in mutant mode- same as others have said- not enough duck angle w/ current screw inserts.  if new version of board has more options cool, but current owners be nice option if u redesign ur footpads to have an extra row or 2 on each side for screw down channel to make it work.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2010-08-10

PM

I have about twenty sessions on this thing now and it has been a complete revelation to me and my ability. I am 210lbs and this thing is great in twintip mode, a litewind cruiser and then fun as hell in mutant mode, when it blows, so much fun. This is the board everyone should have in the quiver. Not overpowered in high winds like other” litewind” doors and a complete chop killer!

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2010-07-05

PM

Thanks to all the positive posts in this thread I scored myself a Mako King.  What a super fun board.  I bought/sold a surfboard and then a large light wind twin tip before I got the King.  I wish I had gone to the King right off the bat.  It does everything the other boards can do and a bunch more.  Seems like the ideal board to take a long on a road trip so you can dial in exactly what kind of board you need on any given day at a new location.

http://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/2010/08/02/ocean-rodeo-mako-king/

Between my Mako 140 and the King I’ve got the best of both worlds…=-)

Signature

Safe riding,

Vik
http://www.thelazyrando.com

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

I got the King and the new Mako 140 this winter and had given the King a only few rides before I injured my hand. I’m well recovered now and took both boards for a 14day trip, and thanks to a broken roof box I lost my 140 on the highway somewhere. I was surprised how emotional I got about this as that’s my super hard carving and foolaround board for sure. A true positive turned out to be the King, so glad I brought it and had to use it in conditions I would normally grab the 140! Only rode it mutant.
Great tracking board, loads of float and able to handle all terrain with great ease.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

El Rudo - 11 August 2010 03:33 PM

I got the King and the new Mako 140 this winter and had given the King a only few rides before I injured my hand. I’m well recovered now and took both boards for a 14day trip, and thanks to a broken roof box I lost my 140 on the highway somewhere. I was surprised how emotional I got about this as that’s my super hard carving and foolaround board for sure. A true positive turned out to be the King, so glad I brought it and had to use it in conditions I would normally grab the 140! Only rode it mutant.
Great tracking board, loads of float and able to handle all terrain with great ease.

Wow! Bummer about the 140! Now you have a chance to buy one of the new Makos that are said to be in the works.

Kirk

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

thanks Kirk, I hope the travel insurance will handle this well.
I met a fellow kiter on a camping somewhere and we got to shoot this little vid of us sharing the King and my Rise 13m in really marginal winds around 13 knots and between megazillions of kite schools. Not exactly action packed but a nice display of the fun this hull brings when others go upwind walking.

Joined 2010-02-10

PM

I loved my Mako King, but… believe it or not - recently sold it.

Probably a month ago this would have sounded like an absolutely crazy idea. Mako King was super fun from the first ride… unlike my other board, a true directional. I couldn’t figure out how to ride that one even after several weeks (even months), and that is despite the fact that Mako King is the closest thing to a directional board. I was so frustrated, and was just about to sell the directional, when suddenly… IT HAPPENED: the ride became smooth, the upwind angle became unreal, carving, and even jumps became better. At that point the directional was the only thing I wanted to ride. I took Mako King a few times, but each time it felt too uncomfortable (same issues that many others have mentioned: no ducking, and too stiff straps that hurt).

That was then when Mako King lost any point for me. So I sold it.

So here are my conclusions. Mako King is indeed the best investment you can make if you want to transition to a true directional. The progress you can make on this board is unparalleled, especially learning to ride toeside. However, this is just a learning board (as I see it, of course). As someone well said on kiteforum.com: Mako King is VERY good in many aspects (e.g. riding in light winds, or carving like a directional), but does NOT really excel in any of them in particular.

And the last advantage of Mako King - the board almost doesn’t depreciate, and is very easy to sell wink

I want to thank OR for making such a fantastic board! However, it’s time to move on…

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

michaelt - 18 August 2010 11:06 PM

I loved my Mako King, but… believe it or not - recently sold it.

Probably a month ago this would have sounded like an absolutely crazy idea. Mako King was super fun from the first ride… unlike my other board, a true directional. I couldn’t figure out how to ride that one even after several weeks (even months), and that is despite the fact that Mako King is the closest thing to a directional board. I was so frustrated, and was just about to sell the directional, when suddenly… IT HAPPENED: the ride became smooth, the upwind angle became unreal, carving, and even jumps became better. At that point the directional was the only thing I wanted to ride. I took Mako King a few times, but each time it felt too uncomfortable (same issues that many others have mentioned: no ducking, and too stiff straps that hurt).

That was then when Mako King lost any point for me. So I sold it.

So here are my conclusions. Mako King is indeed the best investment you can make if you want to transition to a true directional. The progress you can make on this board is unparalleled, especially learning to ride toeside. However, this is just a learning board (as I see it, of course). As someone well said on kiteforum.com: Mako King is VERY good in many aspects (e.g. riding in light winds, or carving like a directional), but does NOT really excel in any of them in particular.

And the last advantage of Mako King - the board almost doesn’t depreciate, and is very easy to sell wink

PS…....I like it a lot more with the deck pad/straps, the traditional pad/straps just do not work on this board.

I want to thank OR for making such a fantastic board! However, it’s time to move on…

Yeah I kinda agree, I only ride the King when it’s too light to really boost on my Mako 140. Everytime I bring it out, I love it even more, it’s just such a fun smooth ride. With that said, I do feel like it’s a stepping stone to a directional, and to build familiarity with riding toeside.

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

cool smile
I dig how the king can handle a huge wind range and still be a fun ride!

Joined 2010-04-01

PM

I just tried mine for the first time in really light pretty flat water. I’m running in mutant twinzer mode ( ordered a second large fin and blocked middles holes).
Pretty sweet. Tired it back to back with Airush Exile and it goes up wind virtually as well but the Exile was sporting micro fins (1.25”) to be fair. Still good enough that Exile is redundant.
Even in mutant mode it goes “backward” without much thought. Next test is chop and waves (hopefully next couple of days in advance of Earl).

Btw- the pads are comfy but the straps don’t work for my feet (size 10, no instep and narrow)- I could not get them tight enough which is good to angle yer feet but not much else. They are also hard on feet. Better straps are in order.

Joined 2010-04-01

PM

Two more days; 17-22kts and side on waves (4-7’).
The board is awesome. Handles chop well and is dreamy in waves. Not quick and slashy just holds a nice smooth line for mellow soul type surfing. The footpads are wonderful. The foot straps stink. Too big and hard.

I recommend trying in TT/Mutant mode with two big fins out back- rox.

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Ritter, great to see you enjoy the board - thanks for the post and welcome to the Crew! Stoked to have you on our gear!!

Please give us a call at 888-544-4969 to discuss your strap concerns. I’d like to get a sense of exactly what issues you have and if we might be able to help sort you out! Generally speaking people have been stoked on our Bliss Strap system, so I’d like to ensure we keep you on board too! (so to speak, lol)

JZ

Joined 2010-04-01

PM

Others can weigh in but as I said the straps even at their tightest don’t secure my feet. To place the pads where I want them the footstraps end up being spaced too wide to secure laterally and then they won’t cinch down enough to secure vertically.

As a result my feet slide all the way to the point where the bottom of my ankle bone hits the upper strap edge. Annoying most of the time but painful when leaning fwd on bottom turns. That edge is hard. Even if they fit properly the strap themselves are not very cush.
I put an old pair of Airush straps on and the fit and comfort allowed me to kite for +10 hours in 2 days. Never could have done that with the stockers.

So if you are asking me (and I guess that you are) IMO they need better padding and to be sized a little smaller to allow for smaller narrower feet. They look good but don’t match the superior quality of the rest of the board

But overall this board is just klller. 2nd best bit of kiting kit I’ve ever bot (after Mystic Warrior harness).
Whoever conceived and designed this was thinking out of the box- and successfully!

If you’d still like to chat I can call you.

Cheers.

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2010-07-05

PM

Ritter - 02 September 2010 01:57 PM

Others can weigh in but as I said the straps even at their tightest don’t secure my feet. To place the pads where I want them the footstraps end up being spaced too wide to secure laterally and then they won’t cinch down enough to secure vertically.

As a result my feet slide all the way to the point where the bottom of my ankle bone hits the upper strap edge. Annoying most of the time but painful when leaning fwd on bottom turns. That edge is hard. Even if they fit properly the strap themselves are not very cush.
I put an old pair of Airush straps on and the fit and comfort allowed me to kite for +10 hours in 2 days. Never could have done that with the stockers.

So if you are asking me (and I guess that you are) IMO they need better padding and to be sized a little smaller to allow for smaller narrower feet. They look good but don’t match the superior quality of the rest of the board

But overall this board is just klller. 2nd best bit of kiting kit I’ve ever bot (after Mystic Warrior harness).
Whoever conceived and designed this was thinking out of the box- and successfully!

If you’d still like to chat I can call you.

Cheers.

Another option is to ditch the twin tip style pads/straps and use a deckpad and surf straps.  I did that recently and enjoy it much more for riding the King in Mutant mode:

http://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/2010/09/02/ocean-rodeo-mako-king-upgrade/

Signature

Safe riding,

Vik
http://www.thelazyrando.com