2010 Ocean Rodeo Rise Venturi XPD!!!

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Hi All,

I’m stoked to offer you the first look at our killer new Rise Venturi with XPD Technology. Continuing with our ongoing goal of making kites more efficient and packing even more power per square meter, here are a couple of key highlights.

1) You’ll note we’ve gone to a 6 strut design, and as such eliminated the center strut. This improves aerodynamics in a critical area of the kite, and reduces weight where you want it least. The end result is a kite with yet more power, greater efficiency, higher stability, and a more rigid canopy less prone to distortion at the top end of its range!

2) XPD Technology. You can see that panels on the LE get exponentially larger when moving from the center of the kite to the tips, and that they mate up perfectly with the 6 strut layout.

Larger panels at the tips increase projected area, reduce drag, and provide direct steering input. The transition to smaller panels at the center better matches the curvature at the trailing edge, and provides better airflow and lift. More power!

We’ve also come out with a fantastic new adjustable size bar, and on top of all this, have actually reduced MSRP on the majority of our 2010 product line. :thumb:

Please contact your preferred retailer to inquire about price, availability and to place your orders.

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Performance over Hype

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2009-02-20

PM

The bar looks great.  Pardon me while i go change my pants.

Total Posts: 108

Joined 2007-01-24

PM

Looks sick Evan and the rest of OR…can’t wait to try them!

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2009-03-28

PM

The new bar looks awesome!
Any ETA on the 2010 gear?

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2008-07-12

PM

Ok. This bar looks absolutely the ducks nuts! Looks real quality and beautiful design.
The kite looks promising too. Any info on the sizes?
Without licking balls here, you did a very good job guys! Keep on rockin! smile

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-09-04

PM

beautiful .... the gear Ev not you - although ...eh never mind

Signature

I love to Kiteboard

Total Posts: 574

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Thanks for the post Evan.

The 10m Rise has been my biggest kite over the past 2 seasons. If my thinking is correct the 2010 Rise 10m will have an even better range?

At 65 kilos I’ll add the new 7m (new Rise sizes mentioned in an earlier post)

As for boards: Must try the Mini Mako and the Mako King. That should see me good to go wink

Has the new bar trim line changed?

andy

current quiver 2009 Rise 6m and 10m. 2008 Zen 129x39 not to forget my 2m Rise trainer!

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2009-03-16

PM

I want it.

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

mummy!!

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Been pondering a similar issue myself Andy. As we’ve spoke probably Rises for me next but what size??

I have a 16m Caution answer as a low wind animal but what will my “Go to”  and high wind kites be? Looking at a 20mph being the sweet spot for the “go to” and a high wind beastie to fit with it. 10m and 7m perhaps - or 11m and 8m. 75kgs in the buff!!!!!

That bar fellas - Wow you have been busy! looks the nuts!!  But please dont fall into the trap of over engineering.

yes ETA please. Timing could be crucial this year!!

Signature

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2007-09-22

PM

the new bar and kite look awesome… can’t wait to get the feel of the new gear soon!!! just a few more weeks and John will make it to Holland to rip with the dutchies smile

cheers

Signature

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2008-07-01

PM

If you keep doing this, I will be broke and divorce.  Awesome job done?  When I will be able to have one?

Signature

10m 2011 Razor
12m 2009 Rise
131x40 SkyWalker Pro Comp 2009
Learning this Amazing Sport
Riding since July 2008

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

noo noo - 11 July 2009 09:50 AM

Been pondering a similar issue myself Andy. As we’ve spoke probably Rises for me next but what size??

I have a 16m Caution answer as a low wind animal but what will my “Go to”  and high wind kites be? Looking at a 20mph being the sweet spot for the “go to” and a high wind beastie to fit with it. 10m and 7m perhaps - or 11m and 8m. 75kgs in the buff!!!!!

That bar fellas - Wow you have been busy! looks the nuts!!  But please dont fall into the trap of over engineering.

yes ETA please. Timing could be crucial this year!!

If you’re going to keep the 16m Caution 8 and 11 would work mate. If going with a simple 2 kite quiver (all Ocean Rodeo-what else?) getting improved low end to boot then maybe the 9 and 12? I don’t know…..

Anyway I want to kite next week. Where are you going to be?

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2006-01-16

PM

Hell , yeah! Great looking bar and kite!

Joined 2009-03-16

PM

Is the trim line no longer made of rope?And how does the bar adjust?

Joined 2008-10-01

PM

AWESOME BAR!!!  is it going to be compatible with the 2009 kites???
if the 2010 Rise is as good as the 2009 I am in.

ch

Signature

Ocean Rodeo Rep.
St. John’s Newfoundland, Canada

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Thanks Crew for the thumbs up, we worked hard on it! On the bar, over engineered - dunno but we’re basically coming from flying around with broom sticks so quite some space for practical/ergonomical/functional innovation.
The core of the CL design is still the 09 central hub by Ross, with a pretty long wish list incorporated.
The trim loop will - unlike being told in earlier reports - NOT be made from Durum wheat but yes, rope, quite similar to what’s on now. The bar adjusts by means of a renewed clamcleat (easier release) located in the “leg” of the CL hub where the fixed end of the chicken loop attaches.
Note that in the real world the trim loop line is way longer, for the sake of screen real estate we chose a shortened preview.
The bar will be compatible with all OR SLE kites (for as far as i know, but 07/08/09 for sure), and probably every other 4 liner out there (since there’s no end to the depower stroke).

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2009-04-20

PM

what safety is being employed on the new kites???

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2008-02-15

PM

Other OR SLE’s Please continue…....

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2008-10-21

PM

SEXY. That is all.

Signature

Rise 7,10,14m | Mako Wide | Nobile T555

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

El Rudo - 11 July 2009 09:21 PM

Thanks Crew for the thumbs up, we worked hard on it! On the bar, over engineered - dunno but we’re basically coming from flying around with broom sticks so quite some space for practical/ergonomical/functional innovation.
The core of the CL design is still the 09 central hub by Ross, with a pretty long wish list incorporated.
The trim loop will - unlike being told in earlier reports - NOT be made from Durum wheat but yes, rope, quite similar to what’s on now. The bar adjusts by means of a renewed clamcleat (easier release) located in the “leg” of the CL hub where the fixed end of the chicken loop attaches.
Note that in the real world the trim loop line is way longer, for the sake of screen real estate we chose a shortened preview.
The bar will be compatible with all OR SLE kites (for as far as i know, but 07/08/09 for sure), and probably every other 4 liner out there (since there’s no end to the depower stroke).

It’s all good fella. Just a warning from other brands I’ve seen where there’s so many bells and whistles on the thing that it gets stupid and in some instances doesn’t even work. One reason I love the gear, you can see the development and improvement year on year.

Andy mate hope to catch an evening or two this week. I’ll text you when I sort myself out.

11m and 8m you reckon then.  Had been speaking to Harry. Similar weight now, (the boy’s grown) and his 10m gets him going pretty early to be fair. Agreed the current 10m has similar power to my 12m Diablo which fits quite well. Decisions decisions.

Signature

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

@ noo noo - You’re spot on about over engineering, this is a daily theme in R&D, how to get the most advanced yet acceptable design out. You bet I have stack of crazy sketches laying around here!

here’s a view with some line ends in it:

Total Posts: 349

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

my only concern is that this bar looks like it’s going to be even more expensive than the last one, which was already about 250 pounds over here and therefore on the limit of what people see as acceptable? We seem to get a bit shafted in the UK at the moment. for example a naish SLE bar sells for £350!!! that could have bought you a new kite K/O two years ago!

is this a worldwide thing with gear becoming really expensive or is it just us getting destroyed by the exchange rates?

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Fair point Harry but I also realise that OR’s focus is also on quality.

Me I hope for a bar that does the job, durable and has a sure fire safety.

Back to the kite. How huch testing has been done guys? As Andy has touched upon we’d be interested to hear comparisons between the low end of the 2009 and new models.

Signature

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

New kite looks great ... Early reports are the 130 MAKO is awesome ... The bar looks interesting ...    http://oceanrodeo.com/forums/viewthread/1996/    http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/sailinglog_rec.php?mode=view&p=7528

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2006-10-13

PM

WOW OR That’s the kicking OR look needed to go with the excellent prducts! Veeeeery sweet! You guys have just taken this to the ‘next level’!

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2006-04-18

PM

Looks sweet!  Those extra sizes are going to put a serious dent in my wallet!

Was checking out my 2009 rise in the air today and I think the 6 strut design is going to be killer.  Hard to improve on the 2009 Rise but leave to OR to make a good thing even better.

Regarding the bar - looking at it I am not sure how it is adjustable to different sizes?  Looks super sweet though.  Hoping it still comes with 850 lb lines.

Will the new Diablo be released at the same time as the Rise - or we looking at a later time frame?

Joined 2009-02-20

PM

Can you tell us how the mechanism for changing the rear line attachement points from inner to outer will work?

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Harry, with regards to cost, while I have no clue what goes on across the pond (but yes, your pricing is susceptible to currency fluctuations), I can say that in the US the price of the 2010 bar has dropped from $415 USD (2009) to $375 USD for this killer new upgrade. grin

Miltsface,

Switching to the different bar length is extremely simple, and best illustrated by these photos. It doesn’t get any simpler (or brilliant!) than this!

Short:

Long:

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

wow evan. Trust you guys to massively revamp the bar and make it cost LESS! :D

impressive!

i take everything back. what WILL yo do next..

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2007-01-05

PM

wow evan. Trust you guys to massively revamp the bar and make it cost LESS! :D

impressive!

i take everything back. what WILL yo do next..

Hey Harry…looks like you got the answer you were looking for but to elaborate your guy’s devalued currency is the real difference in cost. Our pricing which is always done in USD hasn’t changed very much at all in the last couple years. Only enough to reflect our cost increases.

As the pound gets stronger you will notice prices going down.

Cheers.

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-09-04

PM

Ev your one lucky mofo how do the home town boys get their hands on this stuff? sure would be nice to have this stuff out b4 the US or UK ( oops now thats going to get some controversy)....

Signature

I love to Kiteboard

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

A few pics of the 2010 Rise Venturi XPD in flight. Personally I think the grey/black version is bad ass.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

With you Evan that grey / black looks awesome.

Changing the bar length too - fantastic and you’ve managed to squeeze a price drop in. How good is that!!

Gonna be trouble again

Signature

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Yeah, I think that color is really sexy, and just looks fast as hell. Aside from the performance benefits, losing the center strut also make the canopy look super clean and more aesthetically pleasing.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Joined 2009-02-20

PM

Miltsface,
Switching to the different bar length is extremely simple, and best illustrated by these photos. It doesn’t get any simpler (or brilliant!) than this!
Short:

Long:

so is it just a larks head connection to the line that passes thru the bar end?

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2007-12-05

PM

so is it just a larks head connection to the line that passes thru the bar end?

Yup it’s that simple.

K.I.S.S - Nice implementation.

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

EvanStolze - 14 July 2009 04:39 PM

Harry, with regards to cost, while I have no clue what goes on across the pond (but yes, your pricing is susceptible to currency fluctuations), I can say that in the US the price of the 2010 bar has dropped from $415 USD (2009) to $375 USD for this killer new upgrade. grin

The drop in US price is nice, but I don’t think we, as UK riders, should be waiting for the kind of prices we had until recently.  Today’s exchange rate is about $1.6/£1.  That’s about normal for our 2 economies.  It was only when the US economy started having problems and the UK one lagged behind that we got the benefit of almost $2/£1 making stuff considerably cheaper for us for a short period.  What we’re seeing now is normality restoring itself.  Both our ecominies are in the pan, to almost the same level.  We should be thankful it’s not back at $1.4/£1.  Ouch.

Of course, the prices for nearly everything have increased, mostly due to the Japanese Yen.  When that rate restores itself again, we’ll get cheaper electrical goods, but not kites.

Anyway, that’s my amatuer view on things. smile

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

far too much insight for me vpas.

Far simpler view in Noo Noo world. “Do I want it?...........Can I afford it?”

answer is yes to the first, working hard on the second.

Signature

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

A simple philosophy for a simpler life!  Sounds good to me.

Signature

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Nice looking gear guys !!
The bar looks great.
Evan, can you post more pics of the bar? (nice carepet btw wink )

Arjan

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

A few shots in from the Crew event in Tarifa. Unfortunately they had very light wind, but it looks like a great time anyway.

I can guess who took this one….

Jeremie on the new Zen.

And making the most of the light stuff with the Mako King.

And JZ in his usual fine form, but what, no Guinness on he beach?

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

yeah but it’s only a little one!

Noo Noo world rocks vpas.  Another planet bud.

Signature

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Love those shots guys.

Out of interest was Jeremie on the Diablo? Just looking at the bar he’s using

Signature

Total Posts: 185

Joined 2006-01-09

PM

All PHOTOS by Linn Svendsen wink
I’m on the diablo 2010 for the freestyle stuff wink
the new kites are very nice .
I also used the Rise.
cheers
Jeremie

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2009-04-20

PM

is that 7, 8, 9, 10, 12 i just saw?????? thought you only did even numbers! what sizes are you bringing out?

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

Yes, multiple sizes for next year.  Nice eh!

JZ blew the whistle back in April… http://oceanrodeo.com/forums/viewreply/9958/

Signature

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2008-05-24

PM

I may have missed it, but when do you expect the 2010 Rise’s to be available to purchase from local dealers?
Also, will the 2008 bar work with the new kites?

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

I believe OR is targeting mid September for the kites, but it may depend on where you’re at. However, after a golden session on the 09 8m Rise Venturi last Saturday I can’t really think of anything better… I was flying my big ass around like there’s no tomorrow, shooting upwind, looping it, ownage!

Joined 2008-05-24

PM

Yea, I’m torn between purchasing the ‘09 8m Rise or waiting for a 2010 9m to compliment my 12.  At 165 pounds, and
normally lighter conditions, I’m leaning towards waiting for the 9m for the low end.  Decisions, decisions…..

Joined 2007-01-24

PM

lagocalima - 21 July 2009 01:19 AM

Yea, I’m torn between purchasing the ‘09 8m Rise or waiting for a 2010 9m to compliment my 12.  At 165 pounds, and
normally lighter conditions, I’m leaning towards waiting for the 9m for the low end.  Decisions, decisions…..

I weigh a little less than you and my 8m is a great complimentary kite to my 12m. Not that there will be a big difference between the 8 and 9, but I bet you could get away with an 8/12 combo if you wanted and have a bit of overlap between the two.

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2008-05-13

PM

Hi,
I am 75kg and I have a 8/12 Rise08 kites and would not like anything inbetween. The 8 starts to work so soon, that there are many occasions thet my brother flies Rise 12 and I use the 8, and we weight the same and we both have fun with what we are using.
Greetnigs,
Jaros

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2007-07-19

PM

True, even with my 07 Rises of 8 and 12m the overlap is already quite large. (78 kilos). I would even consider a 12 and 6, but we had a lot of wind lately… smile
Mid september…. just before winter… cruel… wink

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-10-20

PM

Can you guys please stop making the kites more powerful and better its hurting my bank balance!

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Photos of the 9 and 12m from the World Championships.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2009-04-09

PM

Hi. Why you guys are not redesign your kite bag? Bag have no straps to attach pump and board. Also not possible to carry the kite when struts are inflate ((

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi Surf vs Kite, 1st of all, welcome to the crew!
I can see you’re fresh here, last year there was a lengthy discussion on how we wanted the new bag, read and weep: http://oceanrodeo.com/forums/viewthread/1145/. The previous design had extensions on top and below, and a lot of zippers to keep it together. I’m so glad we got rid of that!
I was pro board straps and pump on the outside, but now I can live with the pump inside, there’s plenty of space and it makes for a clean package.
Inflated struts - there’s no real need for that as the time you win by not pumping them you easily loose over closing the strut valves. I wonder who uses them all the time - if at all, I only use them when it’s really really hairy.

If you’re interested in fast kite folding and saving time > longer sessions, check this out:
http://www.oceanrodeo.com/forums/viewthread/1982/ I’ve got it working on 8m to 14m kites now!

Joined 2009-04-09

PM

OK, it have place 4 pump, even my harness stores in the 09 bag. but board straps is must have thing)

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

I agree on the board strap.

I don’t know how the nw bag is designed but what annoys me is the zipper and the backpack straps on the 09 bag. I always use the backpack straps, so the zipper is open.. and yes a lot of sand gets into the bag.. a bit difficult to get out…
So is it an idea to skip that zipper and just attach the straps to the bag (with 4 buckles for those who don’t want to use them)?
Regards,
Arjan

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

> Guys, the valve closing stuff has been moved here

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2006-01-17

PM

Ok, so as a lucky local (relatively) OR dealer, I ended up with one of the inital batch of 2010 kites from Nitnat…

I rode a few different sizes there and as always, they were really nice and stable, good turning speed, enjoyable jumps etc, but I was thinking “jump higher, hang longer”... i don’t REALLY notice it… ok maybe like 5%, but nothing noticable.

I got a chance to ride the 2010 10m this past weekend in some serious wind 20 to 30 knots and then 35 to 40 knots on a 6m ‘09 Rise… I weigh in at about 95 kg (205 lbs), and JESUS!!  Forget 5%, I was waiting to come down on the XPD… seriously, I was sitting up there so long I was having to sine the kite at the pinnacle so that I didn’t over fly it and plummet.  Rarely ever had to do that before.

Ross… I’m a believer.  That kite goes BIG!

Jeff

Signature

Jeff Doepker
www.kitesource.ca

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2009-01-17

PM

How is the difference in power? I thought about replacing my 09 10m with a 9m..

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2009-05-11

PM

can you please say us the windrange of the new kites, because the SLE manual isn´t updated. In detail it would be nice if you could say us the windrange of the intermediate sizes (13m to 12m and 11m to 10m and 9m to 8m)

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2009-07-26

PM

2010 Rise Kites:

Update in performance -

Our winds are still cranking here in the Gorge, which is great for testing the new Rise kites. So far I’ve flown the 9m, 8m and 6m. I flew the (2010) 9m with the 09 OR bar at the AWIShow “it flew flawlessly” light to the feel yet powerful” yeah!

Being a shop rider I ride a few other brand of kites as well, although the Rise has been my favorite this past year. So I know how the 2008 & 2009 kites should fly. My session on the 2010 8m was interesting using a X-brand bar. I have used X-brand bars on the 09 Rises at times when the Demo kites in our shop had the (uh) bar missing, but not a big deal.

The interesting observation with the 2010 kites is that X-brand bars may be out of calibration; as in my case the front lines way too long and the throw (sheet line) minimal. With this scenario you may experience some “back flying” with the new kites. I have found that the OR bar tuned correctly is the best bar for these kites. The extra long throw will come in handy on the high end/range of the kite. A bar with less throw will leave you overpowered.

Anyway I flew the 2010 6m Rise today in nuking winds approaching 40mph, and it flew flawlessly. The difference from the 09 to the 10 was that the kite felt solid the whole time where the 09 was a bit softer. When the super gusts blew by, the kite projected forward and the canopy stayed solid. Jumping was great tho at a 155lb I was lit the whole time.

Looking forward to the new bars; I like the simple, safe approach especially when it gets crazy windy out there.

Stoked OR rider,
John

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2007-08-02

PM

The 2010 look even more solid…
The extra strut must make it great for kiteloops I’ll bet… sure would be nice to be on some small kites like the 8-9….
Good to see how fast the bar came together too… From CAD to real life…!

Lots of interest in the Predator too..

These are 2009 Rise…. but couldn’t pass up watching this Rush of a RIDE on a Rise!
Kitesurfing in the Fog under the Golden Gate Bridge

Signature

http://www.PBKiteboarding.com
Sales ?• Repair • ?PASA Instruction
Kiteboarding & Snowkiting Specialists

Total Posts: 98

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

I’ve been out on the new Rise’s and I am very impressed with how well they fly and the range they have. I was out the other day on the ‘09 6m with a friend on the new ‘10 6m and it was very windy (average 35 with gusts to 48 according to iWindsurf). Both kites handled it with ease and never did anything unexpected. The ‘10 seemed to go upwind a little better. I have to agree totally with John (Kitesail) about the bar and lines. You need the extra throw the OR setup has to fully take advantage of the kites range. As far as low end improvement the jury is still out. Most days here have been pretty radical so far and low end hasn’t been the issue. They definitely have improved jumping characteristics with almost a second lift when you think you’re at your apex of the jump. Very good “float” and nice soft landings! I am going with the new 9m and 12m to replace my 8 and 10 Rise’s (2009’s) and stay with my ‘09 6m. I was totally happy with my ‘09’s but OR has just made them even better!! Thanks OR!!
Pete

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

PBKiteboarding.com - 25 September 2009 04:07 AM

The 2010 look even more solid…
The extra strut must make it great for kiteloops I’ll bet…

yes they are!!! Just tried the 11m and that canopy is now rock solid. Totally bananas when you see it. Flew the 11m against the 2009 12m and it’s a huge step forward. The 2009 deformed in the loop while the 11m didn’t. Yum. They also seem to be very stable too.

Quite powerful as well, I was completely lit in 25mph on the 11m with 8-10 inches of trim pulled in. I’m 75kgs and completely lost on which kite size will suit me. 10m or 11m for the 20mph slot.

I also tried the 6m and that’s pretty amazing too but felt a little too small for me. 30 - 35mph and I was no where near the top end of this baby. This thing must rock with a surfboard.

Signature

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

Heh, ask Ben about the 6m and the King.

For the 20mph slot you surely want to be looking at the 8/9m.  Well, that’s what I’m doing anyway.  The 8m Rise will replace my 9m One which I use if it’s 20+mph.  I use the 12m if it’s getting upto but not much more over that… although sometimes I do, like Saturday afternoon.

I’m very impressed with the 2010 6m Rise and how stable yet quick it was… but first I want to see what the upper end of that 8 will be.

Signature

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

I’m really not sure Vpas. The 11m was perfect in Fridays wind which probably peaked around 18mph I think. Clenched butt cheeks on Saturday in 25mph with 8 inches of trim line pulled through the cleat. I’m thinking the 10m may be the one. My 9m ONE only really comes out in 25mph plus although having played with the bridles I need to revisit that. In truth my quiver is completely out of cink at the moment.

Signature

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

Fair enough - I guess I’m more like Andy’s lightweight frame than you, as I would get the 9m out from 20mph+. wink  I was suprised that you had that 11m out in the early afternoon.  My only minor regret from the weekend was not trying it back to back with my ‘09 12m.  Thankfully Richard is local, so I might yet get to do that.

I’ve been following the bridle mod with avid interest.  I may yet repair the 9 and then have a play with it.

PS It’s OK to call me Dave on the forum.

Signature

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2007-08-02

PM

Cool…. I was thinking of going 11m 2010… wondering how much faster it would be or maybe the 12m 2010 will be faster than my 09 12.

Man would be fun to kite the gorge on a 6m…

I was always happily surprised how the 09 12m could actually turn fast enough for some decent kiteloops… so 11m would be even better maybe? but also want the 12 power…

Signature

http://www.PBKiteboarding.com
Sales ?• Repair • ?PASA Instruction
Kiteboarding & Snowkiting Specialists

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

PBKiteboarding.com - 08 October 2009 02:02 PM

Cool…. I was thinking of going 11m 2010… wondering how much faster it would be or maybe the 12m 2010 will be faster than my 09 12.

Man would be fun to kite the gorge on a 6m…

I was always happily surprised how the 09 12m could actually turn fast enough for some decent kiteloops… so 11m would be even better maybe? but also want the 12 power…

I wasn’t sure on the 12m 2009. Felt OK but just not switched on if that makes sense. 11m different story and definately faster. Looks like you have a similar predicament to me now

Signature

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

I can tell you all that this season I am going from carrying a 6, 8, 10, 12 quiver to a 7, 9, 11. The 11 is a juiced kite, the 9 a beauty and the 7 has a massive range, I had it out in conditions I would normally have been on a 6 and lit on but had a great session.

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2007-10-03

PM

Still waiting on my 9M kite. Any word on when they will ship ?
I can’t wait to try it out .....

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

We are all super sorry for the delays on getting this season’s kites out. We decided though that we were better to wait to ship the kites complete with the new bar than to ship them early in anticipation of the bar to come.

The bars are finished. They’re real and they’re spectacular. We anticipate having them here as of next week and to begin shipping Wednesday to all shops and customers with open orders.

Cheers!

John

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Sweeet news John!
Getting the new kite along with this sexy new bar is worth the wait IMO.
Can’t wait to rub my sweaty paws all over them!

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2007-09-15

PM

Johnz - 08 October 2009 03:59 PM

I can tell you all that this season I am going from carrying a 6, 8, 10, 12 quiver to a 7, 9, 11. The 11 is a juiced kite, the 9 a beauty and the 7 has a massive range, I had it out in conditions I would normally have been on a 6 and lit on but had a great session.

How much do you weigh John?

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, better than a warm soapy tit wank.

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

his hair accounts for about half his weight.

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2006-11-12

PM

I too am going 7/9/11 at ~150lbs from 6/8/10/14… and before Johnz said anything!

Signature

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

Given the power of the new kites, I’m dropping my 9m One in favour of the 8m Rise.  From there I’ll see if I need to change my 12m at all.

Signature

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Spending dosh on home improvements is catching up with me. For 2010 I will probably stay with a two kite quiver of Rises’. At 64 kilos (140lbs’ish) that will be the 10m paired with either a 6 or 7.

Of course if I win the ‘Lottery’ tonight I’ll throw in the 8m and get 6, 8 and 10. Maybe the ‘Mini’ Mako too….....

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 97

Joined 2007-10-02

PM

So does the 11/7 combo replace the 12/8? I am at a loss now. I might have to change my order to 11/7 from 12/8.

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

windjunky - 23 October 2009 03:51 PM

So does the 11/7 combo replace the 12/8? I am at a loss now. I might have to change my order to 11/7 from 12/8.

No, the 11 is an 11 and the 12 is a 12…and so goes it for the 7 vs 8. Bottom end for the 2010’s is roughly the same as on the ‘09s - the difference in range is on the top end - size for size, the 2010’s have a lot more!

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Joined 2009-01-17

PM

Just wondering how that top end becomes apparent, would you have more depower with the same amount of trim? Or does it mean that the kites deform less in gusts or when riding overpowered?

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

The 2010’s are amazing in that respect, they just don’t deform at all. They are soooo rigid it’s unbelieveable. Windrange wise I’m trying to figure out my options as well. 75kg and I tried the 11m in 18mph. Super sweet. Tried it in 25mph and iit was a bit of a cheek clenching ride with a good length of rope through the cleat. These babies certainly have some power.

Signature

Joined 2007-10-02

PM

I was thinking that if I went 11/7 instead of 12/8, I could sacrifice just a little bottom end and get a lot more range on the top end side. Most of my winds are 17+ (mph) up to 30-35(mph). Right now when I am on the 8m (2008) I can’t handle any more then upper 20’s. Noo noo, I am the same as you , 75kg. Plus if I go 11/7 then I can get only the small bar? Would that work on the 11?

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Damn I cant remember what size bar it was when I demo’d it. Definately wasn’t the 60cm one though. 50cm I think.

I’ll be honest I’m torn. The 11m was sweet as in 17 - 18mph for me. Gives you so much confidence to try stuff and you’re very nicely powered. 25mph -  hang on. I’m half tempted by the 10m I bet there’s very little low end difference and I want a kite that’s in the sweet spot from 18 - 25mph or round about.

Smaller I’d be tempted by the 8m. I tried the 6m and it pulls lovely, gets you going early but it felt too small for me and you get very little float in the jump. It’s probably going to be frightenly good on a surfboard. We wre in winds at abvout 30mph I’d say. No trim pulled in and no worries. I’ve no idea what the top end on that kite would be. Loads left for sure.

Signature

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Yo John

How are you finding the 11m buddy? Guessing you weigh somewhere between 70 - 75kgs before your hair gets wet.

Signature

Joined 2007-10-03

PM

I still do not have my 9M Rise I ordered in Sept..
Any idea when the kites and bars will be ready for delivery.
I know it keeps getting pushed out. I would rather have it right than shipped too early, but just wondering.
Thanks

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Guys, I want some mental backing here. I’m a 98kg/1.90 powerhouse *cough* and I’m going to renew my quiver. I want to ride when I want, so 13knot days as well as 35+ to fill up my GPs highscores. Now I’ve met the high end of the 8m ‘09 at 40ish knots, will the 2010 take it further?
I would build my quiver around the smallest kite, knowing that both 10 and 11 are the super sizes. So 8m, 11m, 14m? Another option maybe 7m, 10, 13?
Those of you who flew the 2010s, any thoughts?
Note that there will be a Mako King involved in addition to the Mako 140 (which I wear when I sleep)

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I’ve had these same thoughts.
Now I am closer to finding out.
How does that mid size Rise feel?
This virgin 11m is sitting by my back door, ready to go when the wind blows next.

I’ve been checking it out, wondering whats in store.

and, well, I’ve been wondering which beer goes best with the 11m?
Pyramid Thunderhead pale ale, or Red Hook’s Slim Chance

This will have to do until that next stormy wind forces me to pull this string right here, and enter the “11th dimension”!

C’mon winds!

november storm winds on puget sound

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2009-11-05

PM

Gidday Craig can i ask you a couple of questions please? First what size kites did you have before the 11m ,also how much do you weigh and what type of boards do you use?? I’m tryin to work out if i should i should move up to the 11m from the 10m of 08. cheers Pete

Joined 2007-10-02

PM

I got out on my 2010 9m on Friday with the smaller bar set to the large setting. The winds were 20’s-30’s, averaging in the upper 20’s and pretty gusty. I was on a 2008 Mako Surf and the waves were waist to chest with occasionally bigger. The setup was pretty sweet. The kite was very nice, quick and with light bar pressure. My previous kite was the 2008 8m, which was my all time favorite kite, but after this session, the 9m is now my favorite. It has noticeably better range and is quicker and more responsive. 

Here is a picture after most of the swell died down (this was at low tide at the end of my session and was pretty far out from the camera).

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

squiz - 16 November 2009 08:57 AM

Gidday Craig can i ask you a couple of questions please? First what size kites did you have before the 11m ,also how much do you weigh and what type of boards do you use?? I’m tryin to work out if i should i should move up to the 11m from the 10m of 08. cheers Pete

Dude!
Flew the 11m today for the 1st time (didn’t take long did it!)
Coming from an 08’ 12m Rise, weigh in at 209lbs.

Ist impression.
great low end, about 14-15kts for me and the mako 150x40
this could easily be the big kite in a quiver with a good lite wind board.
sick top end! the gusts felt in the low 30’s and the kite was locked it and feathering with minimal distortions
and a lot less depower at the bar than I was expecting.
In fact I had no trim line pulled in at all and was flying the whole time on full power.
Could not get the kite to backstall, even when I rode hard straght downwind.
I’m still kinda buzzed from it all…this kite is instantly my favorite kite of all time!
Turned cruddy conditions into a super fun session!

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2009-10-03

PM

Hi Craig,

Nice review

What lines did you use at your first session, the 21 or 24 meter lines and why ??

Thnx

H…..

Joined 2007-10-03

PM

Craig, what bridal setting are you using ? How does it come stock ?
Thanks

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I was using a 60cm bar with full length lines.
A 50-40cm bar would be better for powered up sailing.
The lulls were big.

The kite came set up with the front lines on the forward most setting at the kite and the rear lines to the rear of the kite.
Fast turning and more depower.

I keep thinking about how this new 6 strut turns, its what makes the timing a bit different.
The center of the arc used to be very stiff with the center strut.
Now the kite twists at that point when you turn.
The turns feel more organic, and its a super clean flyer.

Brought it to the beach today, but its waaaaay to stormy…10 to 40kts!

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

“Organic” that’s the word that has been missing from our kiting vocabulary ... Nice , I can see this one being absorbed by O.R. ...

Signature

Joined 2007-01-24

PM

I just had my first session on the 2010 6m. Wind was kind of gusty 25-35 knots. First thing I was amazed at how stable the kite was for such a small kite…not “twitchy” like some small kites. Good power in the kite for its size as well…especially once I got up and planing. Construction looks great of course, and turning did seem a bit different than the other Rises, although I think I need more sessions before I get a real good feeling for it. Was very pleased with the first session though!

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Stoked to see you liked the kite Dave. I agree, I find the smaller sizes much more stable than I had expected. Makes jumping them a dream!

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

please stop making my head hurt.. i just decided i wanted diablos!

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

I can’t take this any more ... I’m off to try my new 9m Rise:  Update: It didn’t happen today , but I can’t resist a pic. of my local beach on a 7m day:  http://www.bigwavedave.ca/gallery/displayimage.php?album=28&pos=0

Signature

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

harry.allerston - 19 November 2009 09:28 PM

please stop making my head hurt.. i just decided i wanted diablos!

You’re allowed to have both you know. I’ve got a 2009 10m Diablo as well as 2009 10m Rise and a 7m 2010 Rise. there are days in the flat water of Christchurch harbour that I like to play with freestyle stuff and I like the Diablo at the moment for this style of riding. My Rises I like in the open sea and waves.

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

to be fair i think ive managed to jiggle finances so i can get an 8 and 12 diablo, but keep my 10 rise in the middle.. so im pretty sorted i think!

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

First session on the 2010 9 RISE ... WOW !!! Subtle improvements make this the Hybrid I’ve been dreaming of for five years ... Smooth ‘C’ like transitions with bridled de-power = a rangy predictable ride ... Nice session even if it was 7’C (wind chill ~2’C) Love those pogies ... Not cold until off the water. Wind S.E. 15-24 knots ... 150 MAKO wide ... 50cm bar 24M lines ... The only adjustment on the 2010 is turning speed, obviously the 9 likes fast ...

Signature

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

here’s a nice review of the 10m… thanks Ghostdog!

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Had my first session on my own 11m now (not demo) with the new bar. Simply bliss. This kite gives me so much confidence to try stuff. It jumps really well. Float too and even decent wit my embryonic efforts when unhooked. The 2hr experience left me with several questions though:

1. 21 or 24m lines? Makes a huge difference. 24m = more power, more boost. 21m more snap, sharper. (no surprises I suppose)

2. What to partner it with?

3. How do I afford 2?

Basically i’ve got the kite I wanted and needed. Cracking allrounder which I can really progresson and fits in the 15mph to 25mph range. Bottom end to be confirmed but it isn’t far off that.

Finally, any news on the suicide leash connection? Or anyone been a little creative here?

Finally,

Signature

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

noo noo - 07 December 2009 08:29 AM

Had my first session on my own 11m now (not demo) with the new bar. Simply bliss. This kite gives me so much confidence to try stuff. It jumps really well. Float too and even decent wit my embryonic efforts when unhooked. The 2hr experience left me with several questions though:

1. 21 or 24m lines? Makes a huge difference. 24m = more power, more boost. 21m more snap, sharper. (no surprises I suppose)

3. How do I afford 2?

Basically i’ve got the kite I wanted and needed. Cracking allrounder which I can really progresson and fits in the 15mph to 25mph range. Bottom end to be confirmed but it isn’t far off that.

Finally, any news on the suicide leash connection? Or anyone been a little creative here?

Finally,

And so it continues…..Replies re: What to partner it with? And How do I afford it? to ‘noo noo’s New Gear Dilemma’ thread raspberry

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

noo noo - 07 December 2009 08:29 AM

3. How do I afford 2?

Finally,

have they taken the suicide ring off the new bar?? thats annoying. i guess just clip around the chicken loop.

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

harry.allerston - 07 December 2009 10:36 AM

have they taken the suicide ring off the new bar?? thats annoying. i guess just clip around the chicken loop.

been taken off as it wasn’t quite right I believe. Tried attaching a leash straight to the CL which is fine but it does get in the way when hooking back in on occasion. It’s a pig to get on as well due to the size of the clip and width of the CL. Could lip into the CL where it splits into a loop for the safety release but I’m not convinced that is a good thing.

Signature

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi guys,
Glad you’re stoked with the new gear. The suicide leash is to go on a ring that lives in the groove between the gray chicken loop head and the black plastic part. It should be available with the Diablo version of the bar. Spinning and all for you PKRA champs out there.
Just ask JohnZ to see if you can get it as upgrade.

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

El Rudo - 07 December 2009 11:13 AM

Hi guys,
Glad you’re stoked with the new gear. The suicide leash is to go on a ring that lives in the groove between the gray chicken loop head and the black plastic part. It should be available with the Diablo version of the bar. Spinning and all for you PKRA champs out there.
Just ask JohnZ to see if you can get it as upgrade.

PKRA champs. NOT LIKELY!! Although I can crash / faceplant like the best of em!

Cheers El Rudo. Yes I remeber seeing this on the original bar drawings etc. It’s definately needed. This kite is great for progressing on so having the option is a must. So easy to unhook and more importantly hook back in (and regain control) with.

John are you out there?

Signature

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

yeah… for sure i think it would be a good idea to ship with that on the SLE version as well. that would really put some people off the bar otherwise.

just because someone buys an SLE doesnt mean they dont want to unhook!

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

I have just had a cracking demo weekend with the XPD from the 12m down to the 4m
12m Has the same turning as the 2009 but way more power. Jumping I would say the hight is comparable but float is out of this world Top end for me at 90kg is mid to high twenties mph depending on gusts.
9m This kite has a really bad attitude which I never got dialed into. The power is so strong every gust was pulling me of my edge. Jumping was insane. I think with more time and putting the kite on its slowest turning speed. I will master the 9 xpd
7m xpd
At last 1 can sell my 7m One. Until now I have found the small kites way to whippy. This has all changed. The 7m is soooo sweet it is going to surpass the 10m 2009 as my favorite. Big jumps soft landings Knowing where the kite was at any given time Beautiful. Top end for me mid Thirties
So what combinations.
12m 9m certainly or 12m 8m
If you could afford it and needed a big kite 14 ,11, 7 would do

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

I thought you were supposed to be selling them? But no, the Devonshire Dumpling runs down to the beacj with all the shiny new toys. Dear me. Post em here if you want them tested.

Signature

Joined 2009-01-17

PM

Reviews sound very promising, so I am quite keen to upgrade! Just 2 questions:
Does the xpd jump still as high?
As far as I understand it, kites that turn more from the tips tend to have more boost. The trade off seems to be less power in loops and less continuous power when you throw it around in turns.

How about depower?
The kites seems to deform less, so maintain their shape and flying behaviour better when riding fully powered and edging hard. But that does not mean I can hold the same kite in stronger wind, or does it? I would assume the opposite, because the projected area does not decrease as much as before. One person wrote that you need more throw to achieve the same depower, is that true?
I might consider to move from a 3 to a 2 kite quiver, that’s why I am asking.

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

KnutHansen - 08 December 2009 10:39 AM

Reviews sound very promising, so I am quite keen to upgrade! Just 2 questions:
Does the xpd jump still as high?
As far as I understand it, kites that turn more from the tips tend to have more boost. The trade off seems to be less power in loops and less continuous power when you throw it around in turns.

How about depower?
The kites seems to deform less, so maintain their shape and flying behaviour better when riding fully powered and edging hard. But that does not mean I can hold the same kite in stronger wind, or does it? I would assume the opposite, because the projected area does not decrease as much as before. One person wrote that you need more throw to achieve the same depower, is that true?
I might consider to move from a 3 to a 2 kite quiver, that’s why I am asking.

After 3 sessions with the 11m XPD…
the new Rise stills jumps as high, maybe higher.
I felt more connection to the traction during loops and turns, combined with more control of power/ de-power
I haven’t noticed a big difference in de-power throw length, I adapted quickly.
I noticed right off the bat the moment I self launched it tracks so nice even in gusty, rotored stuff!
Quite simply, this kite has excellent control because it flies so clean,
Be careful in the high end of its iwnd range, it can generate huge amounts of traction!
If I did a 2 kite quiver (minus lite winds), it would be the 11-7.
I’m 210lbs and leaning towards the 14-10-7
The 11m has turned out to be a big mid range kite for me, so glad I demo’s one.
The 10m should be perfect for a 3 kite spread.

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

I can’t offer much on your queries Knut apart from a short back to back session I had on a 2009 12m and a 2010 11m. They felt completely different. The 12m I wasn’t sure about. Felt a bit spongey to me. The 2010 11m however feels more direct, you have a better connection with it and therefore it feels more responsive. Ben Vine on here says the 2010’s feel and look like you’ve pumped them to 400psi and that’s dead right. It feels solid

i would also echo Craigs points on traction. This kite can develop huge amounts of apparent wind and hence power. I had a funny run away moment on it through some chop before I could really engage an edge to bring it back. That hasn’t happened in a while to me.

They depower well on the bar which is great for me starting to unhook and stuff. It hasn’t killed me trying to hook back in.

I’m 75kgs or so and I think the 11m will be my big kite. I need to confim but I hope my low end will be around 15mph on it. it certainly isn’t far off that.

Signature

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

The only Rise I have tried back to back is the 12m 2009 against the 2010.
I am now certain in doing comparisons you should use a size down for the 2010 ie a 12m 2009 is an 11m 2010.
Working from this , the XPD has much the same or more boost but hang time is in another dimension.
Depower
The only kite I have push the top end is the 12m xpd and at 25mph it was still enjoyable but I would look for a smaller kite. When the gusts were hitting 30mph the kite flew fine it was fear of making a mess in the wetsuit. So top end is the same as 2009 give or take.

Up till now I have had a mixture of kites 2008 and 2009 with a 2007 7m One for high winds. After trying several XPD all my kites will be changed to 2010 there is that much difference and its all good.
Avoid looking at the new bar. You will only want it
As Colyn said I was meant to sell the stock kites and sell my old kites before I bought new again. So much for that theory once I put and XPD on the water the cast was set. ( The wife is not impressed)

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

A 2010 9M RISE has replaced my previous 10 & as previously stated I quickly replaced my 8 with a 2010 7 ... I haven’t flown the 7 yet but John (O.R.) says it was his favorite during a kite tour @ Hood R. ... The next kite will replace my 2007 14 Rise: I’m considering the faster 11 (Ross H. spent a lot of time tweaking this one) & the 13 for the torque on those 10 knot sessions ... I know I could compromise & buy the 12 but I’m just eager to have all odd sizes because, well , I can !!!

Signature

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2009-01-07

PM

Just have to say what a bar ye made, its so clean and simple and is the best lookin bar I’ve ever seen. Theres only 1 thing wrong with it that ive come across with 2 hours use today, the swivel, ,..... the swivel looks like it can work, but ye’ve two connection points ( one on each front line) about 3 inch’s up from the swivel.the two front lines keep getin caught around each other at these points, and its to far up for the swivel to work. its a real pain in the hole cause the swivel looks like it can work.

one other thing, the clip on the quick release leash is to small to go around the grey head above the chicken loop, so suicide set up wont work their

Cant comment on the zen yet cause it was too cold to really try anything cause ya cudn’t feel ur feet and hands.

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi Crew!
Can you imagine I did a lot of work for the bar, and never flew the 2010 kites up until today! OR wanted the first batches to go out to customers around the globe first.
I had the 10m out for an hour or so today in 18 - 23 knots, the kite feels a bit different from the 2008 10m which I rode a lot, and I must say in a very positive way. Timing for jumping is less critical (you’re going up big, regardless how or when you pull the trigger), and the term I had going around in my mind was “power delivery”. Power everywhere, far in the edge of the wind window, in jumps, turns, vertical, horizontal, wherever the kite is there’s this constant pull!  So smooth through turns and downloops! One remarkable difference with the 08 and 09 5 strutters is the improvement to the venturi system, it kicks in as soon as the kite gets air flowing over it. When you’re new to these kites you’ve got to pay some attention to this, keep the air flowing and the power is yours.

Awesome job Ross!

Joined 2009-06-10

PM

I’m thinking of switching to 2010 rises this year- posted question about grunt of rise in comparison to kahoonas On kiteforum which have a ton of low end.  I’ve seen a few comments here like el rudos previos post about needing to get air flowing to generate the power.  I’ve had other brand kites with similar power delivery- power thru flying it fast to generate apparent wind.  I’m a big boy and like grunt on demand to get thru white water/break zone. 

Does the 2010 rise have this grunt on demand or do you have to fly the crap out of it to get going?

Thanks- new bar and kites look great- seems brand Is gaining traction.

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

How do you mean “grunt on demand”?
Like…just pull the bar towards you and tighten the flying lines without sineing the kite?
Throwing the kite into a series of sine waves, is this what you mean by “flying the crap out of it”?

Which kites are you flying now?
(this will help to figure out what you are looking for)

ps-that is a really good thread by you on kiteforum!

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

or13 - 04 January 2010 02:21 AM

I’m thinking of switching to 2010 rises this year- posted question about grunt of rise in comparison to kahoonas On kiteforum which have a ton of low end.  I’ve seen a few comments here like el rudos previos post about needing to get air flowing to generate the power.  I’ve had other brand kites with similar power delivery- power thru flying it fast to generate apparent wind.  I’m a big boy and like grunt on demand to get thru white water/break zone. 

Does the 2010 rise have this grunt on demand or do you have to fly the crap out of it to get going?

Thanks- new bar and kites look great- seems brand Is gaining traction.

Power delivery on the 2010 Rise comes easy and doesn’t need manic sining at all. One stroke gets you going. The 10m I have now feels noticeably more powerful than the 2008 which was my former best kite ever - when that one came out the story already was to buy one size smaller. My comment on “keeping air flowing” is mostly about flying it with some board speed, in order to milk the venturi effect for this turbo feeling you need have some feeling for the bar position. Some 1st time venturi riders forget to do that and manage to stall the kite.
The idea is that the venturi allows you to power up more, but as soon as you enter a lull you need to push out the bar to keep the air flowing. The kite will keep pulling!
Think of it as a high aspect ratio kite in a medium AR formplan, so there’s quick and smooth turning combined with the advantages of a highly effective canopy.
click to see the venturi effect explained
I’m 98kg and I will fly the 10m from 16-17 knots on the Mako 140. If you’re not in the position to test one, try to get the 100% satisfaction guarantee thing from you dealer. Good luck!

Joined 2009-06-10

PM

craig - exactly- kahoonas have amazing grunt on first stroke- but high end is super squirrelly.  bunch of higher aspect kites ive had are great for flat water or when up to speed, but suck worse than swine flu in beach break w/ decent sized waves..  and yes- fly the crap out of it = sine it like 5x or more to get any pull and yelling at the kite to get going while a wave is coming at you.

el rudo - thanks - you answered my questions.  kahoona is a great kite but lacks that 5th gear.  ill give the new rises a go for 2010. 

one more question - the rises have tendency to rip on the venting insert?

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Ripping on the venting insert? You mean inflation valves? Or the Venturi?

Joined 2009-06-10

PM

venturi part

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Haha I did that one, or rather a couple of double overhead sets in the Portuguese Atlantic did. Pretty unique achievement, I’d say the answer to your question is NO! I was prepared to find that kite completely ripped up that day. Got it repaired for free at the sewing shop, 10 seconds work.
These kites are build to last, quite a lot of schools use them for their low repair costs and excellent service in case something does go wrong.

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Stug, we’ve added in odd sizes for 2010 - please click on the ” size chart ” here: http://oceanrodeo.com/kiting/rise

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2007-09-15

PM

craig myers - 04 January 2010 02:48 AM

ps-that is a really good thread by you on kiteforum!

Damnit, you cant say that and not post a link!!!!! Or the thread title! smile

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, better than a warm soapy tit wank.

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

``I was amazed with the bottom end of my 7M 2010`Rise ... I swear 15-17 knots & it was just fine ... It’s able to generate lots of power if you sine it continually in the lulls on fast turning ... Yet the slow setting would be great for a beginner.``Of course I was using the 150x40 MAKO.``I think the previous generation 8M would have been hard pressed to match the power `!!! & the 2010 handles more ‘C’ like ... Reminds me of the 9M BRONCO but with gobs of depower ```````````````````

Signature

Joined 2010-02-21

PM

Hello all,

Today i (70kg’s) was on the 2010 10m Rise for the 2nd time in 16-20 knots, i’m new to OR and i flew the North Evo before this one.

There is something really different between these two, i can’t really figure out how i get power in the kite because it’s like the kite is going stall so fast (i’ve had the steeringlines on the 2nd knot, maybe better on the first knot?).
Someone can tell me how i fly this kite at it best, because i’m not used to the Venturi system.

I don’t have long arms so this is a bit difficult for me because i noticed you really need to depower alot, is there something i can change ? I’m used to the North bar and you have like half of it’s depower and you can turn off/on the power so much easier.

Although i’ve had a few nice air’s with and one time it pulled me so hard of the water that was just insane haha !
Really need to get used to this new kite and the timing to get a big air, did some kiteloops and that was alot more powerful then the North evo.

Really like this kite but sometimes i get frustrated because i can’t get the power in the kite, think that i’m doing something wrong.

Greetings Tim.

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hey Tim, welcome to the crew dude!

Great to see that you’re on Rise kites now, and I’m convinced you’ll be dialed in to the kite quickly. You are the guy informing about OR gear on a Dutch forum, if I remember correctly? If so, today was a frosty eastern which usually is gusty around here.

There is a difference in flying with the venturis, with these kites you need to push out the bar a bit once you’ve got it pulling, in order to keep the flow going. Sounds like you’re hanging on to the bar too much. I’m a big guy @ 100kg and I fly the 10m Rise from 16 knots to the mid 20’s - I haven’t touched the high end of the 2010 yet.
I’m not familiar with the EVO kites, but you may need to experiment with larger movements of the bar. I find myself using some 40 cm of bar moving range on a regular session. Maybe take in 10 or 15 cm of trim line when it’s windy.

Jumping: I think there are many different ways, and everything you’re used from other kites applies here too. It helps to send the kite with the bar a little bit out (10cm or so) so the kite builds up speed and lift, and at the precious take off moment, yank the bar in. When you reach the zenith, slowly move the bar away, float a bit,  and send it down for a smooth landing.
This is my home brew way, I’m sure other Crew members can tell you more.
cheers,
Rudo

Joined 2010-02-21

PM

Yes that’s me El Rudo, today i went to Enkhuizen and it was 2 degrees with ice on bar and lines shock

The wind wasn’t really steady, sometimes had to sine the kite and that’s where i lost the power maybe it was just the wind but i notice that with this kite you really have to depower alot to keep being powered.
But when there is enough wind it really gets you in ‘race mode’ i kept on moving so fast.

I just ‘increased’ the (steering) lines length (behind the floater) with 1 knot so that i can keep the bar as close to me as possible, hope this will work for my short arms smile

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Hi Tim,
Did you check the line lenghts? (at max power and bar against the CL, (unhooked max power) all lines should be equal.)
Regards,
Arjan

Joined 2010-02-21

PM

No i didn’t checked the lines, it is a brand new bar with new lines.

Are you sure i have to check line lengths in that way ? All of my other kites i had to check was with full powered and the bar against the stopperball.

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Yes I’m sure.
Take a look here: http://oceanrodeo.com/forums/viewthread/1133/

Always check your gear. When it’s new you have to know if all is setup right, knots, line lenght..  after a few sessions or a long brake (winter..) check again

When you setup like this you only need the depower in extreme winds and when going unhooked is my experience.

Regards,
Arjan

Joined 2010-02-21

PM

What about the line length, how long are my lines with extensions and without? I’ve got the extensions on the bar, just how it came out of the bag.

Suppose it is better to leave it on there with low-end wind conditions ?

What is the best bridle settings for this kite or should i stay with the factory settings ?
I like quick turns (kiteloops) and i don’t want the kite to stall.

http://oceanrodeo.com/images/uploads/kiting/pdf/SLE_kite_manual.pdf on page 14 to see the ‘bridle settings’

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

21+3, I always have it on 24m. Stalling is rider related and there is no setting to make the kite turn quicker on the 2010. I personally like the smooth and exact control of the new model, and I fly with short bar setting (42 for the 7m and 10m, 49 for the 13m although the 42 works good enough.) For quicker and more powerful and controlled turning, sheet out a bit during the turn, and sheet in in the upstroke.

Joined 2010-02-21

PM

Had some great sessions with the 10m, all of my previous sessions were in bad wind conditions and i’m getting used to this kite more and more now cheese

With ease going high and hangtime is very good, kiteloops are good and has extreme pull shock
Looking forward to buy/try the 7m ! Anyone flew this kite size ?

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

yes
its one of the best kites OR has ever made
eats up gusts and rotors like they don’t exist
perfect bar pressure!

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Most small kite are like squirrels chased by a juggernauts and leave me looking like road kill   I was a great fan of the 7 One to avoid the overly nippy kite syndrome . I tried the 6m from previous years I alway went back to the One. This has now all changed. The 7m One is for sale!! . The 7m XPD is just so easy to fly. You jump and the kite is where you left it . 7m Rise XPD so sweet in high winds Fast predictable and a gust killer.

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

my experience so far: amazing range, smooth, fast, precise. pulls my 220lbs ass up and around w/o problems. A fun machine!

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

I’ve got the 11m and it’s given me a problem.

Do I get an 8m now or wait?

Signature

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

?

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Not another noo noo kiting dilemma so sooooon…..

Wait for what Colyn?  rolleyes

It’s simple….You have the 11. So get the 9 and then the 7 raspberry

Or were you thinking that the 8 would be the answer?

I suppose it depends on how many kites you want in your quiver mate?

I loved the 2009 8m when I used it at Nitinat. Never did get one though and now the 7 does me just right - but I’m lighter than you dude!

Have I confused you enough?

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2009-05-14

PM

Hi,

I have a 2009 8m and 6m. Your bar for that year was lovely.
I was hoping to upgrade to the 2010 but the new bar is just
horrible lump of plastic and not nice when holding with bare
hands. Such a pity…Will wait for your 2011 gear in the hope
you have a more comfortable bar next season…

Disappointed

Kyra

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

What is it about the bar that you really dis-like?
This will really help dial in the next design.

Used my 3.0 SLE bar today with bare hands and had a totally different experience.
The squarish tube is easy to hold with just your finger tips and the shaping is easy to adapt to.
I love both the 09’ and 10’ bars, but the 10’ is a step up in my book.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2009-05-14

PM

The 2009 bar is soft wetsuit like material, easy to grip and comfortable. I noticed that the cabrinha 2010 bar
has copied the ocean rodeo 2009 bar’s material, so they must have been impressed by your old bar.
I really dont know why it was changed as I have been out in very touch conditions on my 8m 2009 and its
withstood it all, through serious crashes and tangles and kite and bar still perfect! I was hoping to upgrade as
the new rise looks great, but not until the bar feel improves from hard plastic/rubber to a softer feel..or maybe
Im just being girlie about it all…

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

kp - 21 March 2010 10:37 PM

Hi,

I have a 2009 8m and 6m. Your bar for that year was lovely.
I was hoping to upgrade to the 2010 but the new bar is just
horrible lump of plastic and not nice when holding with bare
hands. Such a pity…Will wait for your 2011 gear in the hope
you have a more comfortable bar next season…

Disappointed

Kyra

Hi Kyra, thanks for the comments, we can use any input for improving future designs.
With regards to the bar padding material, it seems to depend on personal taste a lot. We’re not likely to go back to the old cheaper stuff as it wasn’t the most durable. The material we use now is rubberized EVA and will last must longer.
We have heard a few comments on the roughness of new bars. It’s a bit like new shoes, you’ve got to break it in a bit. It takes a session or two - depending on launching soil, sand wears harder. If you don’t want to wait, you can carefully sand down the grip texture with paper 280.
As for your comment on the lump of plastic, you’re in fact holding a forged centerpiece with custom extruded bar ends in heat treated 6061T marine grade aluminum, with a 3 point break load of 285kgf, which probably makes it the strongest kite control bar on the market to date.
The padded bar ends add comfort and safety, as there have been incidents with riders suffering cranial trauma after being hit by a hard plastic bar end.
Our own fearless John Z willingly demonstrates this safety feature in the bloopers section in the end of this wonderful video:

If you have any more questions please feel free to post them here. In case you’re not fully convinced, ask your dealer about the 100% satisfaction guarantee. The 2010 gear is super sweet, I’m hoping a bit of grippy EVA won’t let you miss out on it!

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

andy - 21 March 2010 08:52 PM

Not another noo noo kiting dilemma so sooooon…..

Wait for what Colyn?  rolleyes

It’s simple….You have the 11. So get the 9 and then the 7 raspberry

Or were you thinking that the 8 would be the answer?

I suppose it depends on how many kites you want in your quiver mate?

I loved the 2009 8m when I used it at Nitinat. Never did get one though and now the 7 does me just right - but I’m lighter than you dude!

Have I confused you enough?

Hello Andy bud

Na 8m for me for sure. 7m too small.

I had a big plan. Buy the 11m (sweet as) and wait while using my modded 9m ONE until 2011 kit started to appear, then rotate 1 kite year on year. Problem is every time I use the 11m I start to rethink the plan. Damnation!

Although I take your point 9m would be a sweet size for sure. hmmmmm

Another slight chink in my plan is the bar. I got the smaller one. Fantastic but I find the performance of the RISE is better with the 3m extensions but the smaller bar doesn’t quite crank it round fast enough. On shorter lines it loops fantastically. If it was a teeny bit quicker i’d be one happy fella.
So Plan B also involced the 8m with the bigger bar and just swap em over.

Signature

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Sounds like a plan.

While I’m on it can you confirm dates for Vansurf 2010? I have a new recruit too!

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2010-02-21

PM

El Rudo - 21 March 2010 05:51 PM

my experience so far: amazing range, smooth, fast, precise. pulls my 220lbs ass up and around w/o problems. A fun machine!

Stormchaser has a new order for a 7m Rise wink  , my weight is 140lbs.
I like those small size kites for the quick kite/downloops so much fun, can’t wait to fly it.

Joined 2010-04-28

PM

The bar looks great.  Pardon me while i go change my pants.

educational software
Houses for sale

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

A go pro vid from this last week.
I thought I had set up far enough away from the hill for clean wind when I launched.
It turned out to be super rotored and the bar got ripped off my hook (twisted dd)
It sure makes a rider feel confident when the safety works and you can still make it out.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

Nice vid Craig,
What are you doing to self land in the end? Are you grabbing both centerlines then pulling in a bunch of the left centerline?

regards
Kirk

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

thanks dude, that was a real treat to take a break from a house remodel
and step right out onto the beach at low tide and go kiting.
I was kind of in the lee of a steep hill, and the winds on the beach were
pretty messed up, like on a scale of 1-10 for rotor danger, it was a 10.
There were big powerful redirections of wind that torqued my bar hard until I made it to the water.

and yes.
That is one of my techniques for self landing lately.
Carl from the gorge/portland area turned me on to this.
I bring the kite down until its about shoulder high off the ground,
then grab the depower rope above the bar and give it a firm yank.
In really powered conditions I also pull in on the upper most front line so the kite naturally
rotates during the landing and settles leading edge into the wind.

Joined 2009-06-10

PM

i posted earlier asking on rise’s - did buy a couple so i figured might as well post the outcome.  overall very nice kite.  different than delta’s ive flown last 2 years- not as grunty but higher end much better.  relaunch not as good but bar pressure much lighter.  trade offs- but rise is a nice kite and well built.  bar is nice.

wishlist-
i too have a ‘sticky’ depower rope others have mentioned
wish bag had a outside strap that i could cinch a pump to for walk to the beach
at least one backline ohshat handle for emergencies- that single front line is high up(liquid force bar is the refence)

other than that- very happy w/ rises

Joined 2010-02-21

PM

I’ve come to a point i can tell more about my XPD 10m Rise.

First time flying
Wasn’t used to such light bar pressure, i was pulling the bar to have a bit power on the kite. After a few sessions i realised that doesn’t work with the Rise just let the bar go and it will not stall in light winds.

The low-end
Very good when you got to know this kite, get some speed and the venturi does his work and keeps you going.
In light winds i prefer to set the steering lines on the first knot (furthest away from the kite) so you don’t backstall the kite, from 17 /18 knots of wind i’ll set it to the 2nd knot to have more bar pressure and from what i think you can get more boost for jumping.

The boost and hangtime
It is amazing in the mid- and high-end range (20-26knots) because you are hanging there for such a long time that’s great for oldschool, kiteloops are nice too but with some more bar pressure it would respond faster.

Overall i’m very happy with this kite but somehow i would like to have an extra “knot” of bar pressure, with a little more bar pressure the kite would be more responsive i think (steerling lines are slacking a bit) although the kite is pretty fast.

The new SLE 3.0 bar
It just feels so good in your hands that you wouldn’t want anything else, other bars feels like a wooden stick that has no comfort at all ! Depowering works well after being replaced by a new chickenloop.

Still i haven’t got the chance to try my 7m XPD Rise because of this weird light wind year !

Made a short video with my new Gopro HD (click on it to get Fullscreen and select 720p) , later more videos but i’ll have to wait for strong winds !

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Has anybody tried the Rise on 21m lines?

I’ve yet to get a decent high wind session on my 7m and just wondered how it would perform?

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

andy - 06 June 2010 07:42 PM

Has anybody tried the Rise on 21m lines?

I’ve yet to get a decent high wind session on my 7m and just wondered how it would perform?

Come to Denmark and find out!

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

tried the 11m Andy. Sharpens it up nicely but it knocks the low end and takes some of the lift and float away. Those 3m’s make a real difference to the power

Signature

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Just interested how others found it. Ben says he took his extensions off straight away and always flew his Rises on 21’s

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

yeah I definitely prefer the feel on 21m lines. Sharp and direct but I think you lose some float. I need to experiment some more I think.

Signature

Total Posts: 65

Joined 2007-09-14

PM

I took the extensions off straight away too. So dont knwo how it flies on 24m but it does fly great with 21m
And the xtensions are doin great work on my cam crane :D

Should i do something about the clamcleat? Seems to get stuck a bit sometimes.

Joined 2008-10-01

PM

Guys I tested a 10m Rise with and without the line extensions the same day back to back, the true is that with 21m lines the kite is way faster, but it lost so much power that I had to bring the extensions back, now, this can change in other kite size. At least with the 10m Rise i wont suggest to take off the extension unless you are so overpowered and with no smaller kite.

cheers
charley

Signature

Ocean Rodeo Rep.
St. John’s Newfoundland, Canada

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Wazzaah cheats because Wazzaah inhabits the windiest spot in like the hole western Europe or so. Plus he gets to enjoy the most fantastic view on the incredibly scenic “Pearl of the Waddenzee” Vlieland! http://www.hanglos.nl/kitespot/153255/kitesurfspot-terschelling-groene-strand.html, check the wind stats (16knots average in November!!!)
But we love him, if it wasn’t for sending home kite pics from NZ when we had our behinds freezing off. Thanks bro…

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Anyone tried the 11m on the larger bar?

Signature

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Should work on the inner setting, I did the 10m on the wide setting of the 42-49, too stoked to take time to convert it to 42. The 10 flies like there’s no tomorrow regardless.

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

El Rudo - 16 June 2010 07:55 AM

Should work on the inner setting, I did the 10m on the wide setting of the 42-49, too stoked to take time to convert it to 42. The 10 flies like there’s no tomorrow regardless.

Yeah I currently have the kite on the wiser setting on the smaller bar.  I’m in that weird place where on 21m lines it’s sweet as but you lose a bit at the bottom including the lovely float. on the 21+3m combo the power is fantastic but I think I may prefer it being a little sharper in the turn.

Signature

Total Posts: 65

Joined 2007-09-14

PM

El Rudo - 07 June 2010 06:48 PM

Wazzaah cheats because Wazzaah inhabits the windiest spot in like the hole western Europe or so. Plus he gets to enjoy the most fantastic view on the incredibly scenic “Pearl of the Waddenzee” Vlieland! http://www.hanglos.nl/kitespot/153255/kitesurfspot-terschelling-groene-strand.html, check the wind stats (16knots average in November!!!)
But we love him, if it wasn’t for sending home kite pics from NZ when we had our behinds freezing off. Thanks bro…

The Pearl is Terschelling of course, not sure what Vlieland is but must have something to do with the back of a goat :D
If i had a 14m rise i’d be kiting everyday i think.

But back to the lines, how much difference would i make? shorter lines make a faster turning kite and longer lines make that it would have a little bit more low-end.

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

I find shorter lines is like a 1 meter SMALLER kite !!!

Signature

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

noo noo - 16 June 2010 07:35 AM

Anyone tried the 11m on the larger bar?

yes.
very fast turning on the large bar.
If you are an accomplished flyer, or wave rider the 11m with a big bar reduces the amount of input needed.
The small bar on the same kite needs the full range of input for that pivot loop.
I’m like’n my 14m and (11m BKB demo) and 10m on the smaller bar, 49cm.

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Cheers Craig

Tough decision this one. Every now and then I find myself screaming at it to make the turn. The rest of the time it’s fine, especially as my riding is veering a little more to ward the wakestyle stuff of late where I find a steady kite beneficial. I just need to really commit when kite looping.

Signature

Joined 2010-07-24

PM

Hi. Recently bought a quiver of 2010 Rises - 6/7/9/11m. The 6 & 7m are awesome - stable and responsive BUT having huge problems with the 2 bigger kites - 9 & 11m. Find that both backstall badly (wind good), tumbling out of the air & turning inside out - kites then impossible to relaunch and need to self-rescue. Have never had these problems before with other kites and don’t believe this is to do with my kiting. Girlfriend also had exactly the same problem.

With other kites, after landing a jump where I’ve swung through only very slightly, the kite may drop just a little before repowering and recovering. With the 9 & 11m Rise, have found it impossible to recover the kite as it starts to drop. It starts wrapping in on itself.

Is this a known problem? Are other people experiencing this? Is there a fix?

Ed

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Ed,
Something is definately not right if the 9 and 11 are doing this, they should be flying just like the 6-7.
I’ve never had a Rise turn inside out on me…are you sure you are putting 9lbs psi into the kite?
The struts should be free of wrinkles near the leading edge when you pump it up.
Another thing that comes to mind is the bridle…it might not be rigged correctly which would
dramatically alter the flying characteristics if perhaps it was assembeled with the wrong parts.
Give the OR guys some time to get back to you…or better yet, give Kevin in customer service a call
monday morning and he will help to trouble shoot this issue.

Hang tight buddy, we’ll get this sorted out for sure.

Joined 2010-07-24

PM

Thanks so much for super quick response. Agree that something must be wrong - 6/7 can’t be that good, then 9/11 that bad. Pressure - don’t have a gauge on pump but will get one. This is def one thing for me to check - very possible I under did it. Re bridle and rigging - are there any detailed specifications on lengths and attachment points?

Appreciate the help and will call Kevin.

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Pump hard - always!!

Got the 11m and never had anything like that happen, even when I’ve under inflated it.

Signature

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

yup, me too.
thats why I think it might be some wrong bridle parts screwing up the angle of attack.
hopefully its something OR can identify and fix with out shipping them back, this sucks!

Joined 2008-05-24

PM

Just finished another session on the new 11M Rise and am totally stoked!  Stefaans from Windy Devil kiting told me the new
11 would fly similar to a small kite, nothing like my 09 12M.  Kited yesterday in less than perfect winds (12-15 mph) but
lost nothing in upwind ability compared to the 12.  Today, winds started at 15 increasing to lower 20’s. The kite is so fast
and stable, and jumps insane.  And the range is incredible.  Now, unsure which is my favorite kite between the 11 and 8!

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2008-07-06

PM

If I replace my 2008 12m with a 2010, should I go for 11m or 12m again? I’m 85kgs and need about 15knots to have fun with my current 12m and 132x40cm board.

I currently tend towards the 12m but if the 11m is faster and more fun I might reconsider.

Joined 2010-07-24

PM

Wanted to post an update on the probs I had with 9&11m; Rise…

Issue was to do with how well (or poorly) I’d pumped the kite. Flew 9m at w/e, used pressure gauge on pump to ensure I had at least 9psi and it flew like a dream. No more hindenburg.

Then the 11m. Pumped it up. Help g/f get on water ...came back to kite after about an hr, flat. Clearly a puncture somewhere in main bladder. Need to get this fixed but am confident now this is not a design issue. Just pump them hard…

Thx for everyone’s help.

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2010-07-05

PM

Ed Botterill - 02 August 2010 01:58 PM

Wanted to post an update on the probs I had with 9&11m; Rise…

Issue was to do with how well (or poorly) I’d pumped the kite. Flew 9m at w/e, used pressure gauge on pump to ensure I had at least 9psi and it flew like a dream. No more hindenburg.

Then the 11m. Pumped it up. Help g/f get on water ...came back to kite after about an hr, flat. Clearly a puncture somewhere in main bladder. Need to get this fixed but am confident now this is not a design issue. Just pump them hard…

Thx for everyone’s help.

Thanks for posting the follow up.

Signature

Safe riding,

Vik
http://www.thelazyrando.com

Joined 2008-05-24

PM

Twinkler…. I weigh 75 kgs and ride a 133 x 40 TT.  The new 11 for me flies completely different than the 09 12m.
The new 6 strut design is super stable and the quickness gives me as much low end as the 12.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2010-09-02

PM

Hi,

I’ve been trying to find out the wind range of the OR Rise Venturi XPD. I’ve checked the website of the product, the forums, the Internet and read the manual, but couldn’t find anything about it. Does anyone know where I can find the wind range chart for Venturi XPD?

Regards,

Eke

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Ok I was just wondering I’ve been riding my 2010 Rise 12m for awhile now and have never tried the slow speed setting, so basically is there an overview on which gives you the most power. I know the manual shows which settings have more depower, tendency to stall, but that looks like it was an older version, not the 2010, it’s probably the same but still.

I’m just checking to see if the slow speed setting would provide a bit more power and more loft in jumps.