question/problem with 09 bar

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2009-06-19

PM

sorry if this has already been discussed…..

I always attached my leash to that ring attached to the 08 chicken loop. If I unhooked and dropped the kite, it stays fairly powered, which I like for relaunch or just pulling the bar to me and hooking back in.

The 09 bar does not have that little ring on the chicken loop and I do not like attaching the leash to the depower line. I attached my leash directly to the chicken loop, crashed unhooked, let go, and for some reason the release engaged and the chicken loop undid….bye bye kite. If it had that ring that wouldn’t have happened.

Anyone else in my situation? What can I do? I really don’t want to attach the leash to the depower line, nor do I want to attached directly to the chicken loop incase it releases like it did on me.

thx for any advice.

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

I understand your problem.
Is it an option to first clip your leash to the ring and then clip it on the CL? so use both. Incase of an accidental (or on purpose) release you still have the release attached to the kites depowerline.
Regards,
Arjan

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-11-15

PM

With your 2009 bar there is a little piece with 2 rings.  This you put around your CL. then attach your leash to this + the normal safety attachment point.

It will be in suicide mode but still allow for the safety to deploy once you fired the release. It also keeps your HP leash out of the way for hoking in more easily.

Total Posts: 97

Joined 2007-10-02

PM

wouter - 31 July 2009 10:45 PM

With your 2009 bar there is a little piece with 2 rings.  This you put around your CL. then attach your leash to this + the normal safety attachment point.

It will be in suicide mode but still allow for the safety to deploy once you fired the release. It also keeps your HP leash out of the way for hoking in more easily.

Can you take a picture of this? I am easily confused smile

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2009-06-19

PM

great advice….attach to chicken loop and the depower line, didn’t even think of that.

I aslo don’t know what you are talking about concerning this 2 ring piece. I got my 09 bar slightly used, so it might not have been included if it is an extra piece.

Total Posts: 573

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

wouter - 31 July 2009 10:45 PM

With your 2009 bar there is a little piece with 2 rings.

Where are these two rings? My ‘09 bars only have one metal ring attached to the opposite end of the trim line to the end with the two black coloured balls. Could you explain further wouter as I am a bit confused.

Cheers

andy

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 97

Joined 2007-10-02

PM

I think he means the strap with 2 rings that comes as an extra with the 2009 bars. I have no idea what its for

Total Posts: 573

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

OK so I understand what wouter means by the piece with two rings attached. It’s a small piece of webbing with a metal ‘D’ ring attached at each end. I believe it’s primary use is an alternative method for attaching the safety leash to your harness strap. Thread one end through your harness strap-with the Session harness pull the quick release handle and thread through before re-attaching. The other end attach the leash (end with the cuff) I’d have to see it in operation to imagine how it’d work in the way explained.

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

I was a bit weirded by that little webbing jobbie.  Those rings look about as flimsy as a key chain from wallmart.  Wasnt about to trust it will a fall to leash from a few feet up.  Rather mod up my release so it doesn’t let go unintentionally and go suicide to the CL.  Clipping to both the CL and the depower line is the better option.

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-11-15

PM

Sorry guys,

Don’t have a picture of it right now. Will see if I can manage to do this later.  As Andy mentioned the piece I use is indeed the one with the 2 D rings which is intended to put onto your harness. However me and some mates use it on our Chickenloops to be able to ride suicide but have a backup safety just in case the chickenloop released while missing an unhooked trick. I use this on my Diablo as well as on the rise.

Leashing of to CL and safety works perfectly. When not under tension it also makes sure the whole thing is at the side of your CL such that it is not in your way for hooking in. That is the main message I wanted to give you guys. Using the D ring thingy is what we came up with on the beach when we had 1 accidental CL fire while missing an unhooked trick. Brent is right about that whichever you use… It must be strong enough to support your weight. Untill now my solution worked fin. I will however look for a stronger permanent solution.

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

I’ve made 2 pics, one with direct leash attached to the safety and CL and one with the double D ring thing and safety. I prefer the direct attache to CL and safety; the safety ring pulls the leash up so you can hook in without the leash in the way.
Note: I’ve not test this, this must be tested, also test if the QR still works this way .. (in my garage it works.. don’t know under load..)

Image Attachments

IMGP2978s.jpg

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

direct:

Image Attachments

IMGP2979s.jpg