Mako Woodie

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2009-07-26

PM

New to the forum, but not to the OR products which BTW are OUTSTANDING….....

Just wanted to say hello and let you know I’m starting… well at least designing a Mako Woodie currently. I’m thinking 145 x 40cm using Northwest woods with a very thin closed-cell foam core.

This is the idea?
regards,
John B

Image Attachments

Mako-Wood2.jpg

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

John!

I am so excited by this idea and am very glad to have you online here and on our products in general.

Please be sure to keep us all posted here of your developments, I am sure we’d all love to see the progress you make!

JZ

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2007-05-26

PM

YES YES YES!!!  It’s gorgeous—and I bet it will be pretty light and have great flex. I want one!

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi John, Great idea, that would look soo sexy!
BTW I don’t want to be messing with your design, but why don’t you try 145x42, basically a scaled up 140*40, just for some extra low end and drive…
Anyway, looking forward to the results.
regards,
Rudo

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

There’s a guy / shop in Cantabria (Northern Spain) who is using balsa wood to make sustainable surfboards.  Looks like an interesting project.  http://www.kuntiqi.com/

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Total Posts: 94

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

I have ridden John’s (Kitesail) Woodie Surfboards here in the Gorge and they ride so much nicer than epoxy surfboards. His workmanship is truly an artform! I love my Mako 150 Wide and would love one in a similer size. Sign me up for a Woodie Mako!!

Pete

Joined 2009-07-26

PM

Hey thanks for the link! That is awesome, gotta love woodworking such a good vibe.

Design stages are nearing completion, need to locate inserts and fin placement.
Thinking about a (3-fin option at both ends) so you can ride with 2-small outside fins or the center fin; or combination of all three one or both sides.

I believe for 2010 OR is going to have different size center fins available.

woodworker,
John

Image Attachments

Mako-Wood3.jpg

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

In order to give the Crew a sense that John B knows what he’s doing and to build your anticipation of seeing this project completed please take a look at this link to see the effort and result of John’s last project, a hollow wooden kite surf board.

John’s got the skills to pull this off and we will be eagerly following his every move!

John Z - OR

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Joined 2009-07-26

PM

OK,,
It’s underway. Templates (stringer & partitions). I’ve quite a few pics, but will post more elsewhere.
John

Image Attachments

MW-1.jpg
MW-2.jpg

Joined 2009-07-26

PM

And more…..

Image Attachments

MW-3.jpg
MW-9.jpg

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2008-05-09

PM

Fantastic stuff!

Joined 2009-07-26

PM

El Rudo -
I looked at the template (145 x 42) side by side with the 145 x 40, the 42cm just seemed a bit too wide, tho it might be great for a low-wind board and a lighter person. (so many combo’s would work well) smile
*Pictures show the bottom*

The top deck is currently being applied.
John

Image Attachments

MW-12.jpg
MW-13.jpg

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

If it rides as good as it looks, there’ll be lots of stoked people!

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Joined 2009-07-26

PM

vpas -
I’m totally confident it will be a “sweet ride”; afterall the Mako is the board of choice for a lot of people. 

More progress,
woodnut,
John

Image Attachments

MW-18.jpg
MW-15.jpg

Joined 2009-07-26

PM

Sometimes you get ah-ha’s as you go along. I got one of those today while planning the tips of the board. It seems that this board is going to have some flex at the tips which should be good due to the thinness. cool smile

All glued and ready for sanding, shaping up real nice grin
John

Image Attachments

MW-19.jpg
MW-21.jpg
MW-20.jpg

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2008-07-21

PM

That looks friggen sweet! What glue are you using to bond the strips? and did you end up going with sandwiched foam?

Wullis

EDIT:

Or did you just used PU glue to glue the strips and have the excess foam from the glue be the foam core?