Mako Woodie

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2009-07-26

PM

Hi Wullis -
Thanks, I use Gorilla Glue it’s a PU type glue which is compatible with some types of foam, very good with wood and epoxy resins.

Ready now for a hot coat of Epoxy!
John

Image Attachments

MW-24.jpg
MW-22.jpg
MW-26.jpg

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Wauw!, that’s looking great.
Can’t wait for the pic’s with the epoxy, the wood will come to life with great color’s!
Do you only use epoxy or also a layer fiberglas?
Regards,
Arjan

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2008-05-13

PM

Hi John,
Great work, looks beautifull! I would love to see it in person and try it out in the water…
Can you allready tell what will be the final weight of the board (without straps, pads, fins)?
Do you have any experience how strong this type of construction is compared to other type of TT boards? Will it take the beating of hard lendings? I know it is proven to work well with surfboards, but havent heard of anyone building a TT like that.
Greetings,
Jaros

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Wow John, that’s coming along great! I bet you can build a great guitar too!

Joined 2009-07-26

PM

Janus -
I use epoxy to coat the bare wood, then I have a glassing schedule using 4oz warp E-glass. (finshed off by another hot coat)

jaroskiter -
Yeah I will be able to figure that for sure; maybe in another day or so.

El Rudo -
Yes, guitar playing my other passion!  I’ve yet to build an acoustic; mainly because I’m a lefty rolleyes tho I own a Taylor.

First hot coat on the bottom. BLING
and the top…..BLING,BLING
John

Image Attachments

MW-27.jpg
MW-29.jpg

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2009-06-01

PM

Thats gona be a real nice board John.

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

John, this is incredible. I note that it is different from “Bella” in that it is not hollow… but just a compilation of strips of wood. Are you not concerned that it will break easily? Will you jump it?

She’s a beauty for sure!

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Joined 2009-07-26

PM

JZ -
thanks!
It is the hollow construction; meaning it does have a stringer and partitions sandwitched between wood strips.
It also does have a closed-cell foam core, so for sure a solid construction. Jumping is “most definite” with this board.

I just haven’t shown all the “trade secrets.”

I weighed it today and it’s real close to the production Mako’s (blanks only w/o pads & straps, a few oz.‘s difference) so needless to say I am happy so far.

regards,
John

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

That is a piece of art!

It inspires me to get a workshop and start building although something tells me it wont be quite that simple.

Ben

Signature

http://www.oceanrodeokites.co.uk

RIPPING UP THE OCEAN RODEO GEAR IN THE UK!!!!

Total Posts: 94

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

I got to “fondle” the new Mako Woodie the other day and it is beautiful! Almost too nice to take out on the brutal Columbia! I hope to get a ride on it soon and compare it to the Mako 150 I’ve been riding for 2 years, which I can’t say enough good things about. Another true work of art from you John, congradulations!

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2009-08-28

PM

John,

Truly beautiful work. I wish I had skills like that.

Please forgive my gatecrashing in here with personal Q’s

I recently finished a super light wind cruiser (165 x 58) round nose and flat tail with about 30mm concave and 50mm nose rocker .

It’s as weird as it sounds!

It was done with two 4mm pieces of ply glued for the shape with some left over carbon to stiffen stregthen. Heavy enough.

Do you (or others here) think i could achieve a mako wide (150x50) inspired board with the above technique (I was thinking to try 3mm this time (same number of plies) and a little more carbon (only on the bottom and not wrapped)? I note that the concave increases stifness measurably, hence the 3mm idea.

Is 50cm too wide for the 150 length ( i see the King is still only 45cm for 165!!) is the some magic to thi formula?

I know it will be heavy but I am just not confident enough to invest lots of time and $ not achieve a result.

Thanks in advance (to all) for any input.

Mike

Joined 2009-07-26

PM

Hey Mike –
Anything goes; but some outlines and rockers work better than others. 50cm may be a bit on the wide side but hey so are skimboards. Skimboards work surprisingly well in light winds given the short length.

I like to maximize the upwind, carving and speed aspects, and thus my outlines and rockers are designed for this. I believe Ocean Rodeo takes this into account and that maybe why the King is 45cm and not wider.

I’ve been on vacation and now am back at it. Should be on the water real soon and can’t wait to try all the fins options.

Picture shows the top being glassed.
John

Image Attachments

MW-34.jpg
MW-35.jpg

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2009-08-28

PM

John,

Thanks for the reply. I relly love that borard of yours.

As to the constuction method do you think ply can create somthing ridable and durable.

Had a really nice 2 hours session yesterday on the big kite and monster board. Very souly. Gets hairy as the wind picks up.

Thanks again for your comments

Mike

Joined 2009-07-26

PM

Well she’s done cool smile
Just have to sort the fins out and strap it up!
Next pic’s should be on the water.
regards,
John

Image Attachments

MW-36.jpg
MW-37.jpg
MW-38.jpg

Total Posts: 94

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

Yahoo! How ‘bout tomorrow? Looks great, bet she’s gonna’ be so sweet on the water!!!
Pete