Mako Woodie

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2009-07-26

PM

Yeah Pete,
Gotta test this puppy.

Finished…...just waiting on some surf-dog fins, tho when the OR surf fins are available that will be great!

John

Image Attachments

MW-39.jpg

Total Posts: 185

Joined 2006-01-09

PM

Great job, it looks awesome !
congratulation !!

Total Posts: 349

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

that stance looks REALLY short?

board looks REALLY pretty though!

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Joined 2009-07-26

PM

Jeremie -
Thanks so much!

Harry -
boy, some people see everything grin  I’m actually not too tall, ha….there is still room to move the stance outward.

We have wind today, so hopefully some pictures soon.

regards,
John

Image Attachments

JB-4.jpg

Total Posts: 185

Joined 2006-01-09

PM

We want to see pictures of this board on the water mate !

Good job !
Great pictures along the process .

Come in Brazil and u will buil the best sliders and kickers ever wink !!

cheers
Jeremie

Joined 2009-07-26

PM

The work is done now play time!

Such a sweeetridddde…....................... tongue rolleye Nice and lofty in the air, super smooth on the water.

6m Rise & Wooden Mako. (Pete was on a 8m Rise)

My buddy Pete took her out for a spin too.

John

Image Attachments

JB-1.jpg
JB-2.jpg

Joined 2009-07-26

PM

More…....

Image Attachments

JB-3.jpg

Joined 2009-07-26

PM

My buddy Pete…....

Image Attachments

Pete-1.jpg
Pete-2.jpg

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2007-05-26

PM

Absolutely beautiful!  In the air and slicing through the water.  Great work!

Now please make some more! cool smile

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2009-09-12

PM

John…. that is called a twin tip right? LOL! You’ve been busy since I saw you last…... nice board as usual… but turning without gybing or tacking, that’s just wrong! See ya soon, Steve B wink

Total Posts: 94

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

I got to test ride the new “Mako Woodie” and is she ever sweet!! Smoothest riding board I’ve ever been on and I have 2 season’s riding the Mako 150! It’s like riding on a surface of teflon. Edging is positive and upwind is no problem. Transitions effortlessly. Can’t wait to try the different fin set up’s that John has available. (Waiting for their arrival.) Yeah, what a bummer not having to tack or jibe….but carve all day long and can’t stop smiling!! Great job John! Wait ‘till you see what he’s doing next guys!
Pete

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2009-12-09

PM

John this is awesome!

I came on here cos I have exactly the same idea in mind - I’m amazed how positive the response from OR has been - well done guys - thats a top class attitude!

I got switched on to this board by Tungsten over on losethestraps.com who has done something very similar.  I’m using AKUShaper to pull the stringer, rails, deck & rocker together…

I’ve built a couple of bamboo kiteboards in the past and am looking to make a Mako using a bamboo hybrid foam core construction which will be similar (but different) to my previous builds.

Check out the other boards I’ve made on my website - http://www.mustbemad.com

I wanted to ask folks on here though what size to go for?

I’m about 6’ and ~70Kg (sorry - mixing my drinks there!)

My usual ride is a TB Haura 135 x 38 - snowbaod construction, lots of flex, can be set up as a semi directional with the straps offset to the back, 3 fins to the stern & 1 in the middle on the front - sweet carver.  http://www.tbkiteboarding.com/en/index.php

My main question is one of size - should I go 140 ish or 150 ish for a Mako - what do guys on here think?

Cheers - Foilman

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

John… I fallowed this thread a while back in it was very inspiring so I started researching how to build hallow surf boards. Now that I have a few under my belt I just stared a hallow Mako King, similar to the board you built. Here are some pictures of the boards. I also have posted templates on my website… MahaloBoards.com for anyone to download. The ride of these boards is truly amazing! More float and nice drive. Can’t wait to finish the Mako and get it on the water. I’m still learning but I’m so hooked on kiteboarding!!! I started with a couple Best kites a couple years ago but now have an OR 14m Rise and the difference is amazing. I wish I’d started with this kite… I probably would have figured it out a little sooner.

~ Aaron

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Aaron, welcome to the Crew! Thanks for sharing these with us too! I am sure John B will be stoked to see that his project has inspired your own efforts!

It’s super cool for us (here at OR) to see that the Mako board has motivated you guys to make your own wooden versions… it is a very inspired and popular board shape and we certainly think it’s cool that you guys are willing to put the time and effort into making your own versions of it.

Hope to see you on the water sometime somewhere!

John Z - OR

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Hollow wooden Mako update… Almost ready for the water! Final sanding and clear coat finish remain.

Top deck attached to frame:

Ready for cork rails:

Glassing: