VANSURF 2009

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

It’s back!

Vansurf 2009 - 2nd -4th October 2009 at Black Rock Sands, North Wales .

For more details check http://www.vansurf.co.uk

last years event was a good’un cross fingers this years event will be even better.

With luck we’ll have the some of the 2010 kit available for demo and of course more kite wagons than you can shake a stick at. There will also be some small fund raising of which the proceeds will go to the RNLI (lifeboat).

Feel free to PM me if you need any more details.

i’ll try and post some photos of last years event shortly

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

This was the best event in the Uk last year . With a little luck I should have some 2010 demo kit for it.  Loads of beach plenty of sheep and enough wood for the barbi ( thanks James) to add 2 degrees to global warming .

Total Posts: 349

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

pity it coincides with freshers week for me really..

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Total Posts: 574

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Nice one noo noo

I’ll be watching the forecast. Almost certain to make the trip so long as there’s a good chance of wind and reasonable weather.

Cheers

andy

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

If the van manages the trip I will be there wind or not to show off the new gear and teach chicks to fly kites!

Harry..I am not angry, just dissapointed in you! Get your priorities sorted boy!

Ben

Signature

http://www.oceanrodeokites.co.uk

RIPPING UP THE OCEAN RODEO GEAR IN THE UK!!!!

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

here we are a couple of pics from last years event. Definately had the weather but the wind didn’t quite show for water fun.

Signature

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2008-06-23

PM

Don’t forget to get booking now!!

booking through the website.

http://www.vansurf.co.uk

Joined 2008-06-23

PM

Band is now confirmed.

Looking to take a slider up, anyone got one?

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Some more info.

We had some water time at this beach over the weekend. BIG BIG tides and it was fantastic. Lagoons everywhere. One is huge.

I also know that the event has been deliberately timed to coincide with large tides again to maximise the beach for those who aren’t water trained.

Signature

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Have you booked the wind noo noo?

By the way do you know what’s called a ‘noo noo’ down here on the south coast?

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Well we’re trying.

At least I should have tyhe BBQ again for Turkey biscuits. Rob is planning a lot more this year.

Bigger event tent to start.
Live music
projector with some kite vids.

RE Noo Noo I’m guessing it’s gonna be kind of appropriate.

Signature

Joined 2008-06-23

PM

who fancies a slider? just a small one to have some fun..

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Not me. I have enough trouble staying on my board as it is. I’ll just have fun watching!

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

bangbus - 08 September 2009 10:59 AM

who fancies a slider? just a small one to have some fun..

could be pretty funny watching people get wrapped around it, I suppose the ambulance could drive right to the waters edge though.

Mind you, I have heard that Welsh hospitals amputate a bit too eagerly, summat to do with a butchers in royston vasey.

Signature

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

andy - 17 August 2009 11:02 AM

I’ll be watching the forecast. Almost certain to make the trip so long as there’s a good chance of wind and reasonable weather.

Are there any further updates on the plan of attack? I understand there’ll be a Mako ‘King’ on demo along with a 6m Rise.

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

We have a slight issue with the King Read other post. There will be an 11m and 6m 2010 rise + all my 2009 kites and boards.
I tried the 11m in sub 10mph on a land board and it is a fast powerful piece of kit. No where near as bar sensitive to sheeting as the 2009 Rise. In the air the 11m looks like a Rise but with the middle strut missing. Roll on wind

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

That King is mine, all others can poke it!

I flew the 2010’s in Holland a couple of months back and Richard’s take on them is pretty much spot on! Its amazing how different they look without the middle strut. I will also add, the airframe is much firmer and taughter than other kites I have flown and as a result the kite feels very responsive.

Depending on the wind forecast there are now potentially 7 of us including me coming up for the weekend, a few of us will be on the search for waves so Noo you may be recruited for a little Hells Mouth jaunt if conditions are good.

I will hopefully receive the prizes (now two 2.0 Rise SLE’s as there were unforseen shipping issues with the surfboards) this week so we can get the newbies flying those and auction/raffle them off at the end of the weekend.

Looking forward to this, weather/wind permitting there may be an excursion to Alton Towers on Monday during the journey back if any folk are heading that way, i went last year after Vansurf and the place was pretty empty so lots of ride time was had!

Ben

Also, Rob is there a better directions thing for getting there as I ended up in a housing estate resembling the Welsh version of Channel 4’s shameless last time. I remember a right at woolworths last time but think I got lost way before that.

Signature

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

Just a quick note to say a large OR box has arrived at my folks house hopefully containing a couple of 2m Rise SLE’s!

Signature

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

good stuff Ben

Only one way in really. Portmadoc Town centre and turn at the Catalogue shop thing (Woolies has now gone). Depending upon which direction you approach from the Catalogue shop is on the beach side of the road.

Signature

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

I think there will be wind? I feel it in my water.

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2007-09-15

PM

Wind is looking hopeful from friday PM fingers crossed smile

~edited due to fear of a lynching from Mr Vine if it all goes tits asunder….....~

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, better than a warm soapy tit wank.

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

This is an official warning! If anyone else jinxes the wind they are going to get a spanking!!

Signature

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Benjamin Vine - 28 September 2009 12:41 PM

This is an official warning! If anyone else jinxes the wind they are going to get a spanking!!

Ben fella. You really need to watch what you’re saying. Spanking on this thread, curly hairs on another. Questions are being asked.

Who’s sharing a van with Ben? Gonna be a bit cosy I’d say.

Signature

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

Are you saying that his lovely lady is all a front?

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

vpas - 28 September 2009 03:42 PM

Are you saying that his lovely lady is all a front?

‘Ex’ lovely lady before you get excited guys! Instead I will be bringing a lovely little Swiss number callled Etienne!

Signature

Joined 2008-06-23

PM

Wind looks massive for Saturday!!! ha ha.. a spanking a spanking we’re going to get a spanking!!!!

Joined 2007-09-15

PM

bangbus - 29 September 2009 10:02 AM

Wind looks massive for Saturday!!! ha ha.. a spanking a spanking we’re going to get a spanking!!!!

massive could be an understatement!!

Signature

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Right! At the moment save for my 2m Rise trainer I’m without smaller than 10m. Will someone be able to help me out on Saturday as I can’t possibly hog the demo 2010 6m all day and unlike Harry I’ll not use my 10m in 30mph!

Whats the sit..rep. with the campsite? Can I pay for it plus Vansurf on arrival?

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2008-06-23

PM

Yes payment can be made on the site for camping and vansurf. Speak to Wendy and say your with vansurf. I think all the hookups are gone now. i put dibs on the 6M rise wink

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

bangbus - 30 September 2009 09:51 AM

i put dibs on the 6M rise wink

get in line.

I’ll steal your 10m Andy.

Signature

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Ok Andy I will put the 4m in the van. I also have the classic high wind kite The 7m One

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Thanks Richard. Was thinking about that 4m Rise this after (almost gave u a call regarding it.)

7m One…cracking kite…wish I’d kept mine.

Looking at an early start Fri. to be at the beach in time for a sail.

Don’t forget ur wellies!

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Don’t need wellies I have Velcro on the front of my shorts

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

Make sure you’ve all scrubbed up - I’m bringing my SLR and want to take a UK Crew photo.

The South Devon massive are leaving early Friday also, so see you on the beach Andy.

Signature

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

A massive thanks to everyone involved with this years Vansurf from the UK and Canada!

I was an excellent event this year with lots of wind and sun and just about every other type of weather possible.

Thanks Rob and Colyn, with this years increase in Vans/Kiters next year is going to be huge! Props to OR for the generous donations that went into the raffle in aid of the RNLI.

Thanks again

Ben, Lee, Etienne, Adam, Woody

Signature

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Ben Spot on Great event . With thanks to all the crew who worked hard converting / educating the non believers to the OR cause. Such a buzz for the Rise . I was good of Colyn to work so hard demonstrating the potential!!!!
Only down side is it’s a year to the next.

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Big thanks people, just for turning up.

Also thanks to OR for the donations. The trainers went to the right people in the raffle for sure. People looking at getting into kitesurfing. Perfect. Gave them some pointers on Sunday and those kites add something special to the event for sure.

The new RISE is something special indeed.

We’ll be reflecting on this years event and looking on how to take things forward. A few things that do spring immediately to mind though:

We certainly need to up our profile a bit. Basically break peoples fears of coming over and trying stuff. I’ve found that everyone who tries the kit loves it but there’s fear of coming over to ask for a go. They’re possibly not 100% on who to ask either. Something for us to build on there.

i’d also like us to get our heads together and see how we can improve OR’s stance at this event. Publicity wise they’ll come out good but I’m in no doubt that more could be done. This event will be appearing in all sorts of stuff in the next month or so - Powerkite mag, Kitesurf mag, local papers and a few other bits as well. The opportunity is there.

Anyway I’m still in shreds after going mad for 4 days. I need a bed.

Oh yes I picked up a 60cm OR SLE bar off the beach on Sunday. Did anyone lose one? Looked pretty old and well used. It’s an 2006 / 07 version.

Signature

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Yes I had a good time. Thanks for all the hard work organising things team. A long drive for some of us. Any chance Vansurf could be a couple of weeks earlier next year? Thinking of the temperature/weather and the kids were back to school this time so difficult to include the family. Would be good to make a few more days out of the location and take in some of the local attractions next time.

Oh and that found bar sounds like it might be Richard’s!

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Hi Andy. Timing the event is difficult but I appreciate the difficulties.

The event is timed as follows:

1. End of season - less people on the beach.

2. Tides. Low spring tide during the day to maximise the beach for the land kite people

3. Campsite availability and closure. They are now closed but last week they were full. Being late meant we had a good run of the site

4. Wind. The wind has been rubbish for the last month!

That’s why there isn’t fixed date for next year yet!

Signature

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

No worries. Will consider taking the boys out of school for a couple of days next year if I have to. That’ll save the disappointment they felt missing out on the camping and your breakfast batches Colyn. They remembered sitting in your VW and eating them grin

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

Yep, cracking time was had. It was made great by the wind, which just happened to be perfect for trying the demo kites on hand.

I think some t-shirts or something to identify Vansurf and/or Ocean Rodeo organisers - something that’s only worn by specific people that can be asked about trying gear out etc.  I’ve had the same problem when visiting other events.  No fancy designs, just big bold letters.

I guess there needs to be a plan B for bad evening weather.  We were lucky again this year with minimal rain, but if that happens of an evening, then I’m not sure the events tent is big enough for everyone to huddle under.  The owner of the pub/cafe seemed keen.  Danny got his number and passed it to Ben.

Also, if you could get the Assembly to build a motorway from Newport to Caernarfon, that’d be awesome.

Signature

Joined 2007-09-15

PM

vpas - 06 October 2009 12:10 PM

Yep, cracking time was had. It was made great by the wind, which just happened to be perfect for trying the demo kites on hand.

I think some t-shirts or something to identify Vansurf and/or Ocean Rodeo organisers - something that’s only worn by specific people that can be asked about trying gear out etc.  I’ve had the same problem when visiting other events.  No fancy designs, just big bold letters.

Also, if you could get the Assembly to build a motorway from Newport to Caernarfon, that’d be awesome.

I agree, large rashies could be a good idea, then the relevant crew members could wear them over wet/dry suits and still kite etc and be recognisable. We got some made up for our local kiting group so we all know who the regulars are on the beach to help with the local residents as we were getting a few complaints about danger, usual stuff. Maybe something along the OR Crew T’s that were about, unless Richard has something similar for the school?

Yep, an improved motorway would deffo help, it took as long from the A5 to Portmadog as it did from Eastbourne to the A5! Worth it though, thanks all, see ya next year smile

Signature

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

I’m less convinced about rashies, as it’s the people on the beach that need to have a higher profile.  Then people know who to go to to ask about trying out kit, or what time the BBQ is, or whatever.

Signature

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

yes I think that’s something we are realising and will need to address.

At events like this people are looking for some direction all the time. While we are trying to create something very informal, without a strict timetable- basically letting people do as they please they still need someone to speak to for more info etc.

it all goes in the review pot. thanks people.

RE the motorway - no chance. no more dirty black strips cutting up my scenery thank you very much. It woul;d look like England then!!! Yuck

Signature

Joined 2008-06-23

PM

Plus you can’t just pull over for a quickie..with a local barr..uties!!! Sorry mate but if we’re gonna throw stones. lol

And for the record did anyone see Ben on the water?? me thinks he has gone down with Aqua-phobia!!!! mine was “the elbows, the elbows!!”

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

bangbus - 08 October 2009 12:38 PM

Plus you can’t just pull over for a quickie..with a local barr..uties!!!

No point me even thinking of that. With all the choice I’d get all confused and flustered. Probably crash to top it all. I’ve forced myself to adopt the discipline of a monk when driving through Wales. No impromptu stops allowed

Signature

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Damn I wish I could have been there this year… that beach looked like such an awesome place to ride. Next year!? smile

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

Aquaphobia! I was out on that 6m in the stongest wind while you and Colyn were still in bed doing god knows what!!

Recognisable rashies with organiser logo on maybe for next year, t-shirts may be a problem as it wasnt really t-shirt weather. If we are working on the same increase in people for next year then we will make a mega deal about it in terms of iksurfmag and kiteworld etc…actually get an ad in there, rob speak to me and Z regarding that.

Maybe have one of the large Coleman tents down on the beach as a focal point with the vans parked either side where guys can come and relax, chat to organisers, pick up local school flyers or grab a beer etc etc ohh the possibilities, I suppose if your going that far, a generator and pa system too!

However, something we must get clear with OR is the delivery time for 2011 kites, without emergency shipments from Z we would have missed out on demo new stuff this year, next year we need to be on it with a couple more demo kites and a definate on the 2m SLE, such a massive hit, and the most I have laughed in months!

Maybe a couple of the Ram Air trainers for total newbies too!

Agreed the drive is indeed a long one but well worth it! If Z could make it next year then it would be a real treat!

The dvd showing was such a good idea, the band was an excellent idea too, let get some guys who wont back out next time, gutted as they sounded pretty good on their myspace page.

Thanks again to Rob, Colyn and the boys for organising this years, such a massive hit!

Signature

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Wot is it in that Welsh water? You guys make me look like a midget!

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2007-01-05

PM

Looks like a fun Crew!!

I’m lost on the Welsh women joke…hot or not? Zeta Jones is quite lovely….is she the only one?

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

KevinM - 08 October 2009 09:45 PM

hot or not?

Depends on your taste.  E.g. Katherine Jenkins and Dawn French.

The special ones are reserved for the locals.

Signature

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

I have uploaded some photos from the event.  Featuring Ben Vine, Andy, Sunrise, Martin (an old stooge of Sunrise’s) and yours truly.

Sorry Colyn, the only pic I have of you is mincing up the beach in all your whiteness.  I think I was in the van warming up whilst you were out on the 6m.

Signature

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

KevinM - 08 October 2009 09:45 PM

Looks like a fun Crew!!

I’m lost on the Welsh women joke…hot or not? Zeta Jones is quite lovely….is she the only one?

Women?!?!?! Are you crazy Kevin? Most over here are relatively normal however we do have a special breed called “Valley Girl”. These can appear at any time, usually in swarms and have been known to devour everything in their path, leaving a swathe of destruction that has to be seen to be believed. Most swarms seem to occur around Rugby international days especially when Wales are playing away. You need to be careful of their mating call which is something like a high pitched shriek that sends shivers to your very core. Hear that and you’re in trouble.

Unfortunately due to the risks involved many have fallen foul to the other, very common “beast” that wanders the hills and mountains freely in these parts of the world. While I believe these critters have many advantages such as a fine coat to keep you warm, a good stable platform and in extreme cases (if you’re tough enough) provide a good meal I tend to leave that to the real extremists. Kite surfing is plenty extreme for me.

Signature

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

vpas - 12 October 2009 11:27 AM

I have uploaded some photos from the event.  Featuring Ben Vine, Andy, Sunrise, Martin (an old stooge of Sunrise’s) and yours truly.

Sorry Colyn, the only pic I have of you is mincing up the beach in all your whiteness.  I think I was in the van warming up whilst you were out on the 6m.

Nice pics Dave I’ll try and get some more.

Shame as I was wearing my best hat!!!

Signature