2009 Rise bridal attachment

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2008-12-18

PM

I have a problem with the bridal attachment points on my 2009 Rise.

The bridal attachment pigtail rubs against the leading edge and put a hole into it, so that the bladder actually comes out.
I have this issue on both my 10m and my 12m on both sides. The re-enforced material on the leading edge only covers the inside attachment, but I like to ride the outside one.
On my 8m, both attachment points are covered, so it doesn’t have that problem.

Anyone else seen this?

Image Attachments

10m rise.jpg

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Ai.. no, I didn’t see it on my quiver, will take a close look next time on my kites.

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

Haven’t seen this problem on my Rises, but suspect the cause of this wear on what appears to be both the LE and the pigtail is sand trapped between the two.  That harder re-inforcement on the ‘09 LE may last a little longer, but even it will get chewed away by sand, it’s so abrasive.

Try this - as soon as you’ve launched and are on the water, dip your kite’s wingtips in the water to flush the sand out, both sides.  This also helps reduce wear on the pulleys and the lines that runs through them.

If the holes are small like that in your picture, a patch of sticky-back Dacron sail cloth should fix it. If the hole goes right through, put one small patch just bigger than the hole with the non-adhesive side over the hole so the bladder doesn’t stick to the patch, with a larger patch sticky-side down to hold it in place. Make sure you clean the LE well with a de-greasing solvent like isopropanol alcohol, and then gently warm the patch with a hair dryer and lots of pressure to really set the adhesive.

Signature

Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

Total Posts: 572

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Thanks Andreas. Nothing obvious on either my 10 and 6. I’ll take a closer look and report my findings.

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

I’ve seen this ... The ‘sharkskin’ like material protecting the leading edge adjacent the attachment points is NOT protecting the point used ... I’ve been meaning to mention this to the O.R. designer ... A good plan in the meantime is to add a sacrificial material to the area prior to wearing a hole in the leading edge ... Fix any areas where your bladder is exposed before flying !!!

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Just back from a great session, wind around 20 kts. 10m, very nice!
So I hung the kite in my garage en took a look at the LE.. and yes very smal sign’s of wear.. will make a repair asap to avoid wear like the pic in this post.
Better check regulary!

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2007-09-24

PM

If the bridal line is wearing a hole that bad into the leading edge, then what’s the leading edge doing to the bridal line??

What are the possible results??    A hole in the sharkskin material??    A hole in the bladder??    Or perhaps a broken bridal connection??? 

The 2 latter results could be quite dangerous…No?

An official O.R. response to this issue would be nice…

What do I stick on this area and how do I keep it there?...  And will it prevent further wear to the bridal rope material

Cheers Tony…

I have to go check my kites for this wear,,, bummer…

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

You have an early ‘09 model, on which the heavier material does not extend to that particular bridle connection. The quick, simple fix is to use the stick on material supplied with the repair kit that comes with the kite and add a small ” anti-chafe ” layer. If it’s past that point and you now have a hole in the LE please contact the retailer that you purchased the kite from and they can submit a warranty claim to us. As per the standard procedure, please provide a detailed photo and the serial number of the kite.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2008-12-18

PM

Evan,

Thanks for the reply, I’ll contact the retailer.