POLL ALERT One-pump strut valve clips, (how) do you use them?

Poll: How do you use the valve clips at the struts of your kite?
Total Votes: 59
I close them all every time I go out
I close just one
I only close them when it’s hairy out there
I never touch them
Valve clips? Say what?

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

In the Rise Venturi XPD topic an interesting (at least for some of us) conversation broke out about the use of the valve clips, I’m moving these posts in this new topic here.
So Ladies and Gentlemen of The Crew, share your ideas and knowledge here, and don’t forget the poll!

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

El Rudo - 09 September 2009 08:21 AM

Inflated struts - there’s no real need for that as the time you win by not pumping them you easily loose over closing the strut valves. I wonder who uses them all the time - if at all, I only use them when it’s really really hairy.

I clip them off every time I go out.  Unfortunately I’ve had too many leading edges blow out over the years, and at least with the struts holding air, I can make a raft and swim in.

Also, I like to keep the struts inflated so that after washing the kite out, I can stand it up in the garage and let it dry out.  Although 2 of the struts on my 12m seem to deflate when the LE is empty.  I’ve still not worked out where the air is going.  So currently, I roll the kite up with the struts up and carry it back to the van as is.  Makes my arms ache though. grin

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2008-05-13

PM

Unfortunately I’ve had too many leading edges blow out over the years, and at least with the struts holding air, I can make a raft and swim in.

I usually clip down only the middle strut. I beleive that is enough if the LE blows, I will be able to roll the kite and pack it in the water and the kite will not drown. I have not test this though and hope I will never have to. If someone knows more in this subject, please enlighten us!
Greetings,
Jaros

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Every time for me. You never know.

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2009-01-07

PM

Really handy cause ders a fella I know whos practicing handlepasses and he dosent use the velcro covring the leading edge valve so that when the kite falls it dosent pop.Witthout the clips you’d have to pump the whole kite up every time.

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

This is a must for everyone kiting in San Francisco, where a completely flat kite could mean the end of it all. We have to be able to use the kite to self rescue, stay afloat, and for a visual aid for the Coast Guard and the tankers and everything else in the shipping channel. Going out the Gate with a downed kite on a 4 knot ebb in heavy fog is scary enough as it..it would be just plain horrible with a completely flat kite. No one with any common sense/experience would buy a kite here if it did not have the clips. This is also why everyone buys/orders kites in bright colors only. grin

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2009-06-01

PM

I never close them, but reading this i think i wil close them when i go out on the sea.

Total Posts: 574

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

So far I’ve closed them all each session.

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2007-10-03

PM

I always close them. Why would anyone not ?
It takes almost no time at all.
Cheers

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2008-10-01

PM

Honestly, I don’t use them to often , but they are a must.

charley

Signature

Ocean Rodeo Rep.
St. John’s Newfoundland, Canada

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2006-04-18

PM

I usually close all of them.

If I am working on something where I expect the kite to crash hard I leave the middle strut clamp open - “so the air has somewhere to go” when the leading edge slams into the water. 

Faulty logic probably but makes sense to me

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I leave them open so the pressure has somewhere to go when the kite takes a hard hit.
They are very handy when you want to leave the struts inflated for another session later in the day,
or if you want to dry the kite out. So I do use them, just on land though.
They are also very nice to have when you want to isolate a leak in one of the bladders.
It helped me locate a slow leak caused by a thorn in the LE a few weeks ago.

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2007-10-04

PM

I always close them all.  I crash my kite a lot on a suicide leash, and on hard crashes, the inflate or deflate valve pops open.  It’s nice to have the struts inflated for the long swim in.  I’ve had leaks in struts as well.  Kites fly pretty well with one or two flat struts, not so well with a floppy leading edge.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2006-01-18

PM

kiterMD - 11 September 2009 01:07 PM

I always close them all.  I crash my kite a lot on a suicide leash, and on hard crashes, the inflate or deflate valve pops open.  It’s nice to have the struts inflated for the long swim in.  I’ve had leaks in struts as well.  Kites fly pretty well with one or two flat struts, not so well with a floppy leading edge.

In your case the in or deflate valve would not open if you leave the strut valve clips open.
I never close them..but I’m always near the beach wink

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

I close them all the time. I had to self rescue last week and that is enough said…

regards
Kirk

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2009-09-13

PM

I am sorry but I never touch them at all!

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

I close ‘em all the time, and every 2nd or so session I’ll turn & slide the clip a small amount so it’s not always the same spot on the hose that’s getting pinched.

Signature

Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

Total Posts: 349

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

never touch ‘em

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Thanks everbody for joining the poll, so 2/3 of yous is actually using these clips… Well I think the Dutchies are spoiled with big soft sandy beaches and lots of space… From what I saw in Victoria BC last year it can be so different: kelp, trees, rocks, bears, ross, killer whales, sure stuff to make you clip these struts!
cheers,
Rudo

Total Posts: 98

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

I close them all the time, unless I forget! They are there to isolate the struts so why would you not want to use them? I have had struts leak, and it was nice to not loose the leading edge!
Pete

Joined 2009-09-14

PM

I close them when it’s hairy out there.
But… Question: When I re-open them after a few hours I always hear a very slight “sheesh” noise. I am almost certain I have no LE leaks. Does the different air temps almost always create a slight pressure gradient between LE & Strut?

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Kip! Welcome to the crew!
“Shees” is an expression of admiration of your kiting. We’ve engineered that in to the valve clips, in order to create positive feedback from the kite. If you try harder, you might hear the next level “Ow golly”.
Good you didn’t hear “Stunk”!
You’ll have to discover the other levels by yourself, keep tuning in to your valve clips!

Joined 2009-09-14

PM

Best answer to a fairly pointless question.
Yes I am slowly but surely moving my kitelife into OR. Started with the Mako 150, then the Rise 12, then the Rise 16, this week it’s the ‘10 Rise 9 with ‘10 Bar & Lines. Next? King?
Oh, and that Mako is so much friggin fun out on the Wash (USA) coast with big waves. Perfect especially if you’re to chicken to ride a directional in washing machine conditions. smile

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

That ain’t slowly - not a native speaker here - or is there something like “overwhelming but surely”.
with regards to whishing sounds in the one pump, I can’t help you, maybe someone that uses them regularly can chime in?

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Thats funny.. i’m familiar with the “wssh!” when opening the clips.
I was on the track of a small leak in the LE cause the struts were less solid after the “wssh!”. I even pumped my LE between sessions cause it was less solid..
So pumped the kite in the garage and closed the clips..but after a complete night a solid kite and no “wssh!” after unclipping..

Only explanation must have something to do with pressure differences due to temperature changes. (water / air —wet / dry kite etc)

Regards,
Arjan

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2009-08-25

PM

Tigger - 09 September 2009 04:35 PM

I never close them, but reading this i think i wil close them when i go out on the sea.

+1

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2009-10-09

PM

Here in the OR-forum I´m a newbie,
but I´m riding the Rise in 16 and 12 square meters since beginning of 08.
I used the clips all the time I go out, but now after 18 month, two clips are broken and the flexible hose between tube and Strut are buckled, so that the deflating of the struts takes a long time .
Can I get replacement pieces to change them?

Greetings from germany
Norbert

Signature

Kites:Rise 16, 12 and 8
Board: ZEN Freestyle

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

Never touch em,

Never thought of just clipping one.  Not a bad idea.  Clip the centre strut.  Its nice and handy when pumping up.  Thanks crew!

My kite only ever says “pfffffft” after a session.  I must suck!

Diablos must be hard to impress!

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

You know Brent, thanks to Jérémie, the Diablos have some French input in them, and you know they say “pfffffffft” to basically anything. Don’t bother dude, you’re doing just fine.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

That was pretty damned funny!

Total Posts: 73

Joined 2008-03-29

PM

always use them

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2006-01-20

PM

Every Time—water is too cold to take a chance of the kite deflating after a bad crash. At least the Kite can still be used to get to shore if the struts retain air.

Signature

Its all about the adventure and stoke!

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

Never touch them!

Signature

http://www.oceanrodeokites.co.uk

RIPPING UP THE OCEAN RODEO GEAR IN THE UK!!!!

Total Posts: 349

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

clips?

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll