Kite size selection

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2009-09-19

PM

I am new to the sport, just getting started and looking for a littlle help selecting a kite and board for entry level freeride, I can grow with.

I am 130lbs, aggressive snowboarder, and wakeboarder.  The places I will be kiting have tricky launches, a lot of chop, and gusty inconsistent conditions. 

For kites - I am considering a 8M vs 10M OR Rise?  Is there big difference between the 08 and 09 versions? 

Boards - I am considering a 09 mako 140cm, or the 08 mako classic? Is there a significant difference or any other suggestions. 

Thanks for any input or suggestions! All input is appreciated.

Total Posts: 108

Joined 2007-01-24

PM

We might need a little more information.

What is the typical wind speed at your local spots? That will make a difference on the kite sizes. Higher wind spot then the 8 (20+ maybe), otherwise the 10. Also depends if you are going to have a 2+ kite quiver or just stick with one kite.

I do not think there is a “big” difference between the 08 and 09 Rises. Remember the 2010 kites are shipping soon as well.

For a beginner (and probably anyone) I would say go with the Mako 140…it is just a great all-around board that is fun for any level.

Total Posts: 128

Joined 2007-03-19

PM

I am about 130 lbs as well.

Riding in Victoria where the winds tend to be moderate to strong - usually 15+ kts if there’s going to be enough to ride. I was using a 9m and 12m quiver for my first year or so, but found that I basically never used the 12m. I’ve since sold those kites and went to a 6m and 10m and never really missed a day. I’ve since added an 8m, as for the wind conditions here most often are ideal for that kite (18-25 or so is great).

So, like Dave said, it depends on wind conditions as well as how many kites you want to buy. Hopefully that will give you a good idea of what to expect out of the sizes relative to winds.

I hear those 140 Makos are pretty sweet, but I’ve never ridden one. If you’re really into freestyle/wakestyle you may want to go with a freestyle board like a Zen. I have the 129x39 and am really enjoying it.

Cheers
Ned

Total Posts: 108

Joined 2007-01-24

PM

Agreed on the Zen. If you are into freestyle the Zen is great…and the 129x39 is a magic size/shape.

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2008-10-01

PM

Friends,

There is a big difference between 2008 Rise and 2009, the speed, the turn point in loops and relaunching are the main differences you can easily appreciate. I own both years models and the 2009 is a perfect kite if there is such thing as perfection. I ride with the 129x39 2009 Zen and being a bit heavier than you guys i wont change it for any other board size.

About i kite size for you i will say a 8m and a 10m or 11m as your biggest kite if you are looking to get a 2nd kite in the future (normally everyone do this)

cheers
charley

Signature

Ocean Rodeo Rep.
St. John’s Newfoundland, Canada

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2006-04-18

PM

Definitely don’t need anything bigger than a 10.  The 2008 kites were great, the 2009 were noticeably better, and 2010….well I can only imagine for now. 

All the OR boards are great.  The Zen are definitely freestyle sticks - if you are wakeboarder you will appreciate this.  I don’t think anyone would recommend learning in bindings but if you see yourself riding in boots eventually you might want to get the 133x41 - otherwise if you are just using straps the 129 will be a perfect board.  Makos rock but are a completely different ride - better yet get one of each!

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2009-09-19

PM

Thanks all for the input.  Went with an 09 10M rise and mako - so I could get upwind better.  Can’t wait to get out…

Total Posts: 65

Joined 2007-09-14

PM

You’ll be so happy with that :D

Only used my 10m Rise this summer in winds from 15knts up to more then 25knts, Still havent found the high-end of the 10m it was just the nasty chop killing my knees that forced me to stop.