Valve Stem Repair?

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2008-11-25

PM

Hello, I just had the valve stem tear off on an ‘09 12m Rise.

It was the stem from the leading edge bladder, going to the last strut.

The kite was sitting on the sand, as I was winding up the lines. The odd thing is, I couldn’t find the stem. Not clamped into the strut tubing( little plastic black clamp still in place), or in/on the main bladder. Poof…gone!

Anyway it was a used kite, so no warranty, but I wonder can this be repaired, if yes, where( I’m in the lower mainland), or do I need to replace the whole leading edge bladder?

Thanks very much for your help.

George

Doh…I had a thought, just as I finished typing the above. A law of physics popped into my head, you know the one where matter remains constant in the universe, or something.

Anyway went out and fumbled around with the leading edge some more, and found the stem still there appearing to be attached to the bladder! I guess the black clamp released the stem and it just popped back inside the leading edge.

I’ll pump it up, to ensure no damage. Now my thought is, why did it release like that? Are the little black clamps not strong enough, or was it pumped up too much…my pump said 8-9lbs! I’ll check it.

That would suck if I was on the water.

Sorry about that long post…I’ll leave it in case a knob like me has the same thing happen…So…How about the Red Wings this year…?

Joined 2008-11-25

PM

So, I’ve discovered an ongoing issue.

This valve that I mentioned above wants to pull back into the LE every time the kite is pumped up. It then causes the clamped tube on the valve stem (that goes to the strut) to get pushed back and leak, or worse pop off, and bingo…dead kite.

I’ve taken the bladder out, and made sure no twists, but the stem keeps twisting back and up, into the LE.

Do I have to twist the edge of the bladder tip 180 degrees to get the valve stem to rotate forward into position and not want to pull away from the hole? This seems like it can only be a bad thing.

The other side is fine. Is this an improperly built bladder? A common problem?

I suspect this pulling was there from the start, as the lip of the stem is now flattened, and the clamp is not so tight on it.

Anyway, other than twisting the tip of the bladder, I cannot think of a way to get this stem to rotate forward and want to stay in place. Do I need a new bladder?

Thanks very much in advance, for advice.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2008-12-11

PM

Take a measurement on your le bladder: from the valve stems on either side of the stem that keeps pulling out. Compare it to the same measurement on the kite itself. This will let you know if therei s a discrepancy. Then you just hace to figure out if the flaw is in the kite or the bladder.

Signature

BillG

Joined 2008-11-25

PM

BillG - 03 January 2010 03:35 AM

Take a measurement on your le bladder: from the valve stems on either side of the stem that keeps pulling out. Compare it to the same measurement on the kite itself. This will let you know if therei s a discrepancy. Then you just hace to figure out if the flaw is in the kite or the bladder.

Bill,

Thank you. I’ll get the bladder out. I’ve measured the valve holes on the kite itself, from wing tip and kite center, and they are off a little from one side to the other, but no more than 0.5-1cm, but I suppose this can make a difference, esp. if the bladder is also off. I’ll do the bladder next.

Thanks.

Joined 2008-11-25

PM

Okay, despite being 100% sure, bet my life on it kind of sure, that the bladder wasn’t twisted when replaced…I think it was twisting when I put it back, and was twisted, perhaps, when I got the kite.

Anyway, I had to flatten the bladder tips with plastic, and attach the string with tape, not just bunch it up with the string tied to the tip, and pull through the LE, to get it to come through without twisting.

Definitely more of an art, than science, to this. Hopefully the saga ends here. Again will leave this as someone else may experience the same. Thanks.

Total Posts: 73

Joined 2008-03-29

PM

i have had this happen also. i would swear on my life that it wasnt twisted but the valve would get sucked in like you describe, all do to a twist in the bladder. definitely takes finesse. baby powder makes all the difference, use liberally.