Mako King for teaching

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2008-07-12

PM

My question might be a little early , but is there anybody out there who has experience teaching with the Mako King?
Am thinking if I could get away to use a 12 m Rise as my biggest kite if I use it with the Mako King for big guys.
Any experience or thoughts on this?
Thanks!
Tamás

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

The King is a good size and I will be trying mine this weekend ( If the students get there). I am thinking of using the biggest fins. Best thing is it starts the OR experience even if they havnt a clue what is going on

Joined 2008-07-12

PM

sunrise - 09 October 2009 08:05 PM

The King is a good size and I will be trying mine this weekend ( If the students get there). I am thinking of using the biggest fins. Best thing is it starts the OR experience even if they havnt a clue what is going on

Good! It would be nice to know your thoughts on the Mako.
Thanks!

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Tried this weekend with student on a 145 X 45 and the MAKO King. Results King got going easier requiring little kite input to keep it plaining The King will now be the board of choice Only down side is the King is a little heavy and unwieldy for a beginner to handle so the 145 will be on call for small persons. I have in the past tried the Mako wides and they are to skittish and go sideways as fast as forward . Hope that helps.

Joined 2008-07-12

PM

sunrise - 12 October 2009 03:38 PM

Tried this weekend with student on a 145 X 45 and the MAKO King. Results King got going easier requiring little kite input to keep it plaining The King will now be the board of choice Only down side is the King is a little heavy and unwieldy for a beginner to handle so the 145 will be on call for small persons. I have in the past tried the Mako wides and they are to skittish and go sideways as fast as forward . Hope that helps.

Thanks for your info! I think am gonna get one.

Joined 2008-10-21

PM

sunrise - 12 October 2009 03:38 PM

... I have in the past tried the Mako wides and they are to skittish and go sideways as fast as forward.

Set a biffier edge and the she’ll predominantly rail more than skid. Versatility is this board’s strength.

Signature

Rise 7,10,14m | Mako Wide | Nobile T555

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

I am not knocking the wides they are fantastic boards just not the best for the first time you ever try to ride. My 145 is a pig to ride way over finned , This makes it good for the debutant which is what the post was about. The King has the best of both worlds stays going forward and planes early, just a little big for small persons.

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

I agree 100% with Sunrise, the King is a beauty of a beginner board in that it planes up so fast and it easy as heck to ride, it practically takes itself to windward. The only issue I have seen with the King and an absolute beginner has to do with the size of the board and getting your feet in the straps, it is a big and bouyant board so be sure to have a good grip on the handle and encourage riders to brace the board with their free knee as they put their other foot in the straps, makes it much easier. Once on their feet the board is a beginners dream when in TT stance and you can set it up in Mutant later for some fun waves and coastal riding!

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc