mako delamination

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2009-10-09

PM

I just had my ‘09 Mako 150 delaminate along the rail and the foam core crack a few weeks ago.  The folks at OR replaced it in lightning quick time.  I was talking to another guy in Squamish who had this same thing happen…just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience?  I’m hoping the replacement doesn’t do the same.
c

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2006-05-23

PM

I had a mako delam a few years back.  Replaced with no problems since.

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

Nope, mine’s looking good at the moment.  Hopefully (for the rest of us) it’s just a couple of isolated incidents.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I had a guy demo my mako this last spring.
He was flying his own new kite, leashed to a mini 5th, when he had his CL fail.
The 5th tangleled up the bar set after multiple loops during which the mako went adrift.
He jettisoned the kite near shore and it settled down without incident.
The board unfortunately spent the next 30 minutes getting pounded against a seawall
downwind of him by 1-1.5 meter wind waves.
He thought for sure he was buying a wrecked mako after this demo.
It finally drifted past the seawall and he grabbed it.
There were some superficial scratches not even deep enough to worry about sanding
and 3 delams around the edge about the size of a pencil head and only 1-3mm deep.
Squirted some epoxy in them and clamped em…no problems since.

Sandwich construction boards will delam when banged hard on the edge of the layers.
I’m pretty stoked on the construction of the Mako.

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

I have sold many Makos 140 and 150 . None has had any issues . In fact one got run over and survived though I don’t recommend this as a test of strength

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

I had wa similar experience to Craig’s story. The Mako demo was pounded by chop and high winds into a seawall for about 20 minutes before anyone could get to it. The board had only a few cosmetic scratches. I have since bought the board and have been sailing with it for an entire season without any issues.

Kirk

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Please contact the shop you bought the board from, should be a simple warranty if the damage is how you describe smile

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2010-02-10

PM

cbassrips - 09 October 2009 08:03 PM

I just had my ‘09 Mako 150 delaminate along the rail and the foam core crack a few weeks ago.  The folks at OR replaced it in lightning quick time.  I was talking to another guy in Squamish who had this same thing happen…just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience?  I’m hoping the replacement doesn’t do the same.
c

Mine delaminated, too - very sad news…

The online store I bought it from told me they could only offer me a “customer satisfaction” discount of 25% towards purchase of a new 2010 Mako 150. My board is 2008 Mako 150x40 that I bought in June 2008 - so it is 1.5 year old and warranty is only for the first year. I am an intermediate kiter - just cruising and basic jumps. I really can’t believe the board saw any abuse, and should last much longer.

I feel I really have made a mistake buying it online… 25% discount means the store (and OR) still make profit - I am sure a local dealer would have supported me much better, definitely not to make profit.

Anyway, I contacted Kevin at OR customer support to see if he could do something, still waiting for his answer.

Image Attachments

P1000423_2.jpg
P1000429_2.jpg

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Wow that looks delaminated!

If the top and bottom laminate is not cracked (it probably isn’t judged from the pictures), you can mend it.
- have it dry completely
- remove the straps, fins, handle
- work the the laminate with sandpaper
- wax up the outside of the board (to avoid adhesion of the epoxy later on). Tape or plug the screw inserts.
- get a good load of epoxy inside the cracks
- use 1, 5 million glue clamps, weights or if possible vacuum (preferred) to press the layers back together.
- wait for the resin to cure, clean up and carve like there’s no tomorrow.
Make sure you clamp down the rails.

It should take about an hour work and 10 bucks for the pox, I’d say it’s certainly worth the effort; Plus it’ll give you DYI stardom wink

PS moved to technical information