High output pump?

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

I’ve raised the height of my pump and it’s better. Does any one have a line on a tall full stroke high quality pump that doesn’t cost a small fortune? Getting older and my back hates those short pumps! Any suggestions for us whinners?

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

I hear ya, I splurged on a Naish tall pump over 2 years ago and it’s been worth it.

When you get one, store it with the handle fully extended. The cylinder is injected molded and has about a 1 degree draft angle making the cylinder diameter smaller at the bottom than the top. If you store the pump with the handle all the way in, then the piston seals are at maximum compression, and take a bit of compression set. Near the top of the stroke the seals won’t seal very well and you don’t get much air out until the piston is deeper in the cylinder.  Same thing happens on the regular-sized pumps, but not as dramatic since the shorter length means less change in diameter.

Stored with the handle out, you’ll get good value from a tall pump.

Signature

Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

Thanks for the information Greg. I think I’ll go check out a Naish tall pump! Are you the same Greg Knowles of surfing fame? I’m that era surfer and just wondered? Thanks again!
Pete

Total Posts: 73

Joined 2008-03-29

PM

do yourself a favor and buy one of these

inflate thru the delate vavle by butting(not inserting) the pump outlet(no attachment) to the deflate valve opening, then top it off with normal pump. its a back saver!!
if you have a long haul to pump your kite the extra weight might not be worth it but otherwise its a must have.
ive seen them for $20 at the usual superstores. i get ~10-15 inflations before needed recharge.

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

Naw, you’re thinking about Greg Noll, aka “the Bull” 1950’s Oahu north shore big wave rider and balsa-core board builder.  Too bad nobody filmed him riding Makaha when the “swell of the century” hit Hawaii in December, 1969.

Yes to air mattress pumps, they are the ticket, but only if you’re over-40 and not in denial about it. Best $20 I ever spent on kite gear.

Signature

Comox Kite Repair

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2009-10-23

PM

bot generated message removed.

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

Yeah I remember hearing about the Makaha day, that would have been epic on film. Gonna’ have to check out this air mattress pump, I have an electric pump now that goes to about 7 psi but the battery is shot and I have to carry my hand pump to top off the kite. I like simple and the tall Naish pump sounds good! Great input, thanks!
Pete

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

Hans - sorry I teched out. You probably store your pump with the handle all the way in right ? Ever notice that when the handle is near the top it’s easier to pump and very little air comes out ?  This is because the piston seal leaks near the top of the stroke.  This leaking is more obvious in a tall pump. The solution is to store your tall pump with the handle fully extended.

Signature

Comox Kite Repair

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi Greg,
There is no Hans, at least not the one some bot used to spam this thread. You are making a very good point regarding the release angle of the deeper pumps. The Naish big pump is pretty good though, mine failed after the thread of the top part started popping.

I have a little trick to speed up pumping:
1. from the inflate valve, cut off the PVC lip that connects the plug to the side of the valve edge. Make the cut clean, use a nail scissor. The plug remains connected to the velcro security tab.

2. use the large nozzle on the pump hose and put it OVER the inflate valve.
Now you’re pumping through a hole roughly twice the size. That makes a big difference!
The trick is from an old Naish manual.

Using the big nozzle on the deflate valve is not recommended as the valve can stretch and may cause the valve to pop.