SLE BAR 3.0 triming problems

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2009-11-04

PM

HI to all,
We are already riding the OR 2010 RISE in the Canary Islands .
A lot of people are having some trouble with the trim line.For some reason its really difficult to trim the kite while riding.It´s really hard.
We dont know if its the cleat that is too tight to the trim line or the trim line is too thick.

I have told this to the spanish dealer and he just told me that its easier to trim if you go a little bit downwind while pulling the trim l line.This makes sense but it doen not seem like something that solves the problem.
Anyone there having the same problem?

Thanks a lot

Total Posts: 349

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

if you mean letting the trim off.. then thats just how clamcleats work.. the trick is to pull it in a tiny bit more before you let it out to let the rope come out of the teeth

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2009-01-07

PM

Did ya actually try wat your dealer told ya?? then it should be dead easy.  And do the bars look as gud as in the pictures? Cant wait to get mine..

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2009-01-07

PM

And actually are ya usin the stopper on full tension?. Id imagine that would make the line a lot harder to pull, especially when the bar is up close to the stopper!!!.

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Hola Surfnomada, welcome to the Crew!

I’ve run demos for our company for many years and am often asked this question by riders new to the kite and unfamiliar with our bar system.

If you are riding and want to change the trim of your kite it is very difficult to do so if you do not help by reducing the load on the front lines. If you stay on your same tack and carry load on the front lines you will both be adding friction to the cleat and forcing yourself to have to pull your own body weight as you adjust the trim.

Instead, please try this method to trim your kite. I’ll add that this becomes almost second nature after a few practice runs.

1) Be sure you are pulling down and out on the trim line as you pull. If you only pull out the cleat will not let go of the rope
2) Stand up on your board, come off edge
3) Push the bar away from you as you pull down on the trim line. This is often enough to loosen the line. However, you can also,
4) Slightly bear off the wind and point down wind by 3° or 4° to your tack to slacken the front lines

Good Luck!

John Z

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Hi Surfnomada,
I think we shortly spoke eachother at the beach in San Augustin, you were riding an older (2007?) 12m blue Rise and were waiting for the new gear.
I rode with my 09 rise (orange) 10. correct?
Hopefully we meet again next year,
Regards,
Arjan

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi Surfnomada,
Congratz on the new kites! I agree with Johns post on the easiest way to use the cleat. I can add to this that we selected this cleat to work with the rope in “used condition”, that means it works really well after a few sessions once the rope is starting to feel loose. This happens because there’s some coating on there that wears off.
You’re actually spot on when you say the rope feels too thick for the cleat, this is true for new ropes the first two or so sessions around. Note that once the rope starts to feel softer it behaves like a thinner rope inside the cleat channel and will work very easy, even without bearing downwind.
I’ve got some 8 sessions on the new bar and it’s working like it should.

Joined 2009-11-04

PM

Hi guys, thanks for all the answers!
I have been riding OR 3 years now and never have this problem before.Thats what got me so surprised.
I am going to try this today and see what happens, I am sure it will work perfect.

The BAr is awesome anyway!

By the way , take a look at this week forecast here in the canary Islands wink

http://www.windguru.cz/es/index.php?sc=49339

nice hehe..

Joined 2009-11-04

PM

Janus - 05 November 2009 08:06 AM

Hi Surfnomada,
I think we shortly spoke eachother at the beach in San Augustin, you were riding an older (2007?) 12m blue Rise and were waiting for the new gear.
I rode with my 09 rise (orange) 10. correct?
Hopefully we meet again next year,
Regards,
Arjan

Yes sure!! Come up to Vargas anytime and you will see me there or any of the riders!!

Regards!!

Total Posts: 185

Joined 2006-01-09

PM

Hi guys,
It’s often hard to trim when you have twists in your front lines or and in your depower line, it add more friction.
think about having everything clean before trimming.
J

Joined 2009-11-04

PM

Thanks Jeremy!

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2010-01-17

PM

I have just recently returned from kiting in Barbados for 10 days using the SLE 3 bar for the first time. When I started to kite for the first session I launched with some depower in the line but once riding the line slide up so that the stopper was against the release and I could not move it. The second day kiting the depower line held in place but I could not get it to cleat when trying to adjust the trim and it stayed at full power up to the stopper. The third day I was able to have the depower line hold in the cleat and adjust the depower.
Luckily I was kiting in winds the first two days where I was not overpowered and could land the kite safely with full power, however, if I needed to depower the kite I would have not been able to do so.
I had read this post before going down but I don’t know what I could have done differently (ie. prestretch lines).

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi Irwe, welcome to the crew and thanks for posting. We have found out the the stopper ball can jam on the CL body surface. The trick is to remove the ball (not the one on the end!).

Note: New bars have already been shipped with this set up.

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2007-09-22

PM

El Rudo - 17 January 2010 03:35 PM

Hi Irwe, welcome to the crew and thanks for posting. We have found out the the stopper ball can jam on the CL body surface. The trick is to remove the ball (not the one on the end!).

Note: New bars have already been shipped with this set up.

hi
I have the bar with the original setup( two balls) and I have problemm to depower, especially when it have come some snow but also when there is no snow in it. (yes, I use to do as described above to release power)
Seems that I must try to remove the first ball to find out if that helps.

Another thing I have problem with when snowkiting is when you get snow into the clam cleat, you can’t depower because the line will not stay in it and it’s very problematic to remove the snow because you must have a very small tool and remove ALL the snow. It jumps off as soon there is any snow in it because the line don’t go deep enough.
The overall construction is not good for snowkiting as far as I can tell.

Br
Henrik

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2008-05-13

PM

Hi,
I have been using my 2008 Rises on snow for years and have never had any problem with the snow in the cleat. How can a snow get into the cleat if there is a line in it?
Greetings,
Jaros

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi Henrik,
I think Jaros has the solution to your cleat-problem: When going out snowboarding, keep the trim line in the cleat. You might try to use the short knot on the kite control line leaders so you’ll still have the full power setting available from the cleat.
cheers, Rudo

Joined 2007-09-22

PM

El Rudo - 25 January 2010 07:53 AM

Hi Henrik,
I think Jaros has the solution to your cleat-problem: When going out snowboarding, keep the trim line in the cleat. You might try to use the short knot on the kite control line leaders so you’ll still have the full power setting available from the cleat.
cheers, Rudo

Hi

Yes, that is a solution but it don’t fix the real problem. It’s still a workaround from a less good solution. I have a 12m rise -10 and most of the time I don’t need any depower at all because we don’t have much wind where I live.
I haven’t paid so much attention to it so I have no suggestion on a solution.

As an answer to you Jaros is that the bar is changed since 2008. I have had a Rise 10m from 2008 and didn’t have this problem and not the other regarding the problem to depower. The summary is that the bar from 2010 is not as good as the bar from 2008 for snowkiting.

Thanks for your response and tips!

br
henrik

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

There is a small percentage of the first production run of 2010 bars that were not manufactured to design specs - the result is that the trim is ” sticky ” and harder to depower than it should be. If you have one of these bars please contact your retailer to obtain a warranty replacement chicken loop assembly (which will be supplied with a bonus new trim line to make changing out the loop very quick and easy for you).

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Joined 2007-09-22

PM

Hi

It seems that I have that first version so I’ll talk to my dealer.

Thanks!
/henrik

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2009-02-20

PM

I had the ‘07 bar (same cleat on ‘07 and ‘08) and now have the 2010 bar and i use my gear a lot for snow kiting here in Utah.  I wouldn’t call snow building up in the cleat a design flaw, it’s just the nature of snow kiting.  snow tends to pack into tight spaces and any cleat fits that description.  As recommended above, just keep the trim rope in the cleat to prevent this.  If it slips out and snow does pack in, i just use a key to clear it out.  The half inch of trim this eats up just doesn’t make much of a difference to the power in the kite, but if you think it does, just move the attachement knots for the leaders in a little.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2009-04-02

PM

Hi, I’m not sure why this problem has not been explained yet, but nothing to do with ice or snow or stopper balls (I’ve never had any depower issues on the snow with any kite!)...John told me there was a shrinkage issue with the moulds in the factory with the first bunch of bars. Who can tell how many of the first bars it has affected, I’m sure John Z will have a better idea. A replacement depower loop will fix your issues. Funnily though mine has gotten much better with use, but is still a bit hard to depower while riding. Powering up is fine, probably because that’s what the kite wants to do under load while flying! Try setting your cleat with a bit of depower prior to launch, especially on a windy day & then power up as necessary… until you can get a replacement.
Talk to your dealer, I’m sure they will have you covered…
Cheers, Tim:-)

Joined 2007-09-22

PM

Hi Tim and thanks for the info!

Yes, it has nothing to do with snow and ice. I can tell after have used a Rise 2008 two years both winter and summer.
OR should explain this better because it is a problem for those that have that bar.

My dealer have ordered a replacement depower loop so I’ll get my probelm solved in a while.

Have fun!

/henrik