noo noo’s New Gear Dilemma!

Total Posts: 573

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Please post here any useful information and suggestions to help poor Colyn decide on what addition to his quiver for 2010:

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

1 of each should do it . i will take the order now!!

Total Posts: 349

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

order a bloody 11. go down the pub.

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Aaaahh at last. A thread all of my own. Now I know I have truly peaked. Andy’s obviously feeling my pain. But this would be a uselful forum to explain the general nuttiness that is Noo Noo World.

KITES

Harry do you honestly think any of this has prevented me from visiting the odd public house? No No No. Much to learn young padawan (including posture)

Richard what blinkin good would every size do? I cant even make my mind up between kites I don’t have yet. Do really thing I’d be better if I had them all?

Right, serious question for Harry. What’s the low end on your 10m?

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

errr.. not sure. i’ve been first on the water on a light day with a surfboard and on my twin i can ride well when people are on 13s just working it fast.. but until it gets to about 16-17 or so you cant unhook or anything like that because its not powered enough not to stall. if its going to be your biggest kite id say 11 would be pretty cushty. how early does your 16 get going? if its got decent low end then keep it and get a 10.. if you want to replace it get the 11.

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Yo Harry. My 16m is a bit of an enigma. Very stally kite so it doesn’t like low winds. I also fly it on 21m lines which really sharpen it up but it certainly knocks a couple of knots off the low end.

15mph is my fun barrier. Below that is effort with no reward. It literally comes to life at 15mph. Longer lines might bring that down to say 13mph but the kite starts to feel Sponge Bob Square Pants.

The 11m was awesome fun in 18mph. 25mph hanging on!

Signature

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2008-11-03

PM

Well you probably expect this from me, but add a pulley at the top V section. This way the kite can tilt over the bridle, far less stalling. I haven’t had any kite with this setup stall on me..ever! Worse case, unhooked in light stuff will just slowly drift back, but never big old back stalls like the old kite days. Regardless if it is a Rise or a ONE. Any bridle kite will benefit from an autoregulating bridle…

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Cheers Wisha but unless you’re a real lightweight kiting below 15mph just doesn’t really happen does it. Above that that 16m and me get on pretty fine but I do need to see how she behaves un hooked.

Signature

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

get a 10 then spend 45 quid on a 5-6ft surfboard. thats your lower wind setup right there. i love it because theres no point trying to do anything in those conditions but learning to pop/tack a surfboard is epic fun and the 10 is all you need on it!

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

harry.allerston - 05 November 2009 01:33 PM

get a 10 then spend 45 quid on a 5-6ft surfboard. thats your lower wind setup right there. i love it because theres no point trying to do anything in those conditions but learning to pop/tack a surfboard is epic fun and the 10 is all you need on it!

Thats my boy!

Signature

http://www.oceanrodeokites.co.uk

RIPPING UP THE OCEAN RODEO GEAR IN THE UK!!!!

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

jeepers dudes. Have a go at me for not making my mind up. You lot are worse!

right.
below 15mph I hardly bother. 16m maybe, surfboard too may be an option.

15-20mph is the 1st grey area. 16m will do it but new toy being smaller is obviously more fun.

20 - 25 = 2nd grey area. Here we’re entering the overlap between the new toy and my current 9m.

25+ = Got to be the 9m

Signature

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2006-04-18

PM

Noo Noo,

I feel your pain - but honestly, you need to lose the 16 and the 9. 

Then for 2 kite quiver pick up an 11 and an 8—-> will have you covered from 13 knots to 30.  For a three kite quiver go 11, 9, 7. 

Just commit…...you’ll be very happy. 

(I’m basing all of this on my own gear and weight (88 kgs, 12, 10, 8, 6m 2009 Rises).)

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2008-11-03

PM

Agreed, less than 13 knots (about 14 mile) is a bit of a snooze session anyway. Too much kite to pump up, 2 little fun to have. Add a loop to just about everymove and things get a bit better, except for the tacks to get back to where you started :(

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

CAM - I think I’m leaning in your direction. 11m now followed by a smaller kite to suit later.

My plan is basically to invest in 1 new kite per year rotating between sizes. This means the kit is kept quite fresh, decent resale and it doesn’t mean a bank breaking quiver update every year. Well that’s the plan anyway! It could all go the other way at any moment.

My dilema is worsened having witnessed the quite stunning performance of the 10m. The day in question I was struggling to get any decent upwind tack on a 12m Diablo. The wind was Ok just a fair incoming tide taking the edge off. Young Harry “Poo stance” (who weighs the same as me by the way) was boosting some mighty fine stuff on his 10m. jealous I was…........

Signature

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

from experience on the 10 i would say that its all good.. unless you want to unhook in which case a bit more grunt would be ideal. you need a reasonable amount of wind to unhook the 10 properly without relying on apparent wind. plus if the 2010s have better top end then 11 would make sense? seeing how much i can hold a 10 in?

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

That’s it, cheers Harry A reply I was looking for. 11m it is with a test on 24m and 21m lines to find my personal preference.  That little bit extra low end for unhooked stuff around 18 - 20mph sounds like the trick.

Mr Bank Manager where are you?

As for this thread ending you lot have got absolutely no chance now. I’m staying here to bug you all…...................................

Signature