installing new trim line

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2008-12-11

PM

I recently had to change the trim line on my 2008 50cm SLE bar. I measured the old line to determine the tie off point at the chicken loop for the new line. I installed the new trim line and proceeded to do a rigging check to ensure the front and rear lines were of equal length.(As per past forum posts). I found that the front lines were longer than the rear lines and that there were no other adjustment knots remaining under the floats to extend the rear lines. My solution was to adjust the tie off point on the new trim line to bring the rear lines into rig and have adjustment knots remaining for future adjustment. Is this standard procedure and has anyone else come across this?

Signature

BillG

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Sorry you lost me @ ” My solution was to adjust the tie off point on the new trim line to bring the rear lines into rig and have adjustment knots remaining for future adjustment. ” BUT , If your lines are equal with no knots in the kite lines your good to go ... Front lines take most of the load & seem to continually stretch . As long as each pair of lines are equal we can compensate with de-power but it’s best to shorten the fronts as (I think) you have done ... p.s. If you have a spare e-2 line in your parts kit (pulley runs on this spectra ROPE @ the bridle) use it to measure your e-2 lines (replace if frayed) : Trim adjustment DOES NOT compensate for this change in the bridal configuration !!!

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2008-12-11

PM

If you were to complete the procedure to check line lengths and find that the front lines are longer than the rear lines I believe that the easy adjustment to match the line lenths would be to lengthen the rear lines by moving to a different knot under the floats. If you are already on the last knot, there would be no other correction available, other than shortening up your trim line by re- tying at the chicken loop. I am aware of the e-line length check but this is a different topic.

Signature

BillG

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Thats o.k. & If you run out of adjustment you can resleave your fronts shorter ... It’s all good.

Signature

Joined 2008-12-11

PM

Thanks jl. I never thought to ask if there is a published procedure for changing a trim line. If not I would suggest that anyone changing out a trim line do a line length check as a final step in your procedure. Your old trim line may have stretched since new and may not be a good indicator as to where to tie off on the chicken loop. Slack in the front lines can be adjusted for by trimming and locking at the cleat but you may not realize that this is necessary. if the trim line is fully extended, ball against the cleat, the kite may not fly correctly as your front lines would in effect be longer than your rear lines in this trim position.

Signature

BillG

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

You may be able to lengthen your back lines by undoing any figure 8 knots under the floats in the spectra ROPE between your line attachment point and your bar .

Signature

Joined 2008-12-11

PM

Good point jl. You would definetly give yourself effectively longer rear lines by getting rid of adjustment knots on both sides. If you were installing a new trim line though, I think it may be better to tie off the new trim line in the position that would allow for future adjustments of the rear lines.

Signature

BillG