DIY Ice kiting FREEZE MAKO project

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Crew!
Here’s a little project for ice kiting, I think it works BUT it isn’t tested. It’s cheap and easy to make. Meet the FREEZE MAKO.

some dimensions:

I’ll try to knock up one this weekend, see what it does!

Total Posts: 573

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

How’s it lookin’ Rudo?

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

I started the metal work but it’s too busy at work. It looks like the ice period is over for a while, maybe next week, hope to have it ready for some testing. Already got the helmet smile

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2007-09-17

PM

Stoerrrr

Total Posts: 152

Joined 2007-06-26

PM

wat een tekening weer

Signature

on fire

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Some progress made today, I changed the design to work with straps in stead of snowboard bindings.

I’ll make the center skate height adjustable to set the “rocker” right, needs some experimenting. The weather forecast is so so for skating here so it may need to wait till next year…

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

ready to go! I hope to take it to the ice tomorrow.

mid skate height adjusters to set the “rocker”

foam pads under the “pads” for some damping

the rocker lifts the front skate about 1cm from the ice

Total Posts: 349

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

you can tell you work in product design!

looks sweet. i think you’re going to get some scary speeds out of that. i think id rather be in a modified buggy with skates on the ice though!

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi Harry, thanks. Here in Holland we have a long tradition with ice-sailing craft, and there are some interesting race classes. The fastest ones resemble those long beach sailing things and are pretty scary.
I hope to get more control out of this contraption then I had with skates on, that was scary - shimmying like mad and totally unable to edge hard. I look at this like one big skate with two feet across.
I’ll try to shoot some video when we go out to test it!
here’s a nice little vid of the ice sailors http://vimeo.com/2977824

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

yeah my friend went out and raced DNs last winter… apparently its insane and is miles more fun sailing on the water. i really want to try it!

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

one of those without a rig and using a flat kite would be stupidly fast surely?

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

yeah unlike this winter we are supposed to have a couple of weeks of ice, many times glare quality like on that vid. Got to say the winters in the past decade sucked for skating fun and now there’s a whole gen of Dutchies who don’t know how to skate properly - except for those speed types in tights that never try natural ice because they think it’s bad for their perfected butt up style.

Actually I think this here design with a good kite like the Rise can be as fast as the DN’s because the direct edge control would allow you to hold more power.

BTW did I say that this design is inspired by this guy:

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

How do you make small adjustments in the tracking angle so as to go upwind or downwind? I guess you can pivot on the center blade. I am very curious to see how your Mako Ice works. Of course you will have to make a Wide series after the “Classic” has been out a few years. ; )

Kirk

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Well Kirk, the wide will arrive sooner than I thought. I took the phase 1 proto out today and managed to go for a couple of hundred meters. Starting up is hard on glare ice, as is balance, particularly at lower speeds.
The kite isn’t much help to keep you standing as the friction is too low to keep good tension on the lines.
The triple-in-line skate setup works very though.

So back to the drawing board:

I really hope I can find some time to build this before the ice has gone. Then again, there’s a real kiteboard in the basement waiting to get wet!

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

Looks good.
What about making the body hour glass shaped like a regular snow board and make the middle blades slightly higher than the flanking ones? You ride straight when balanced on the center. When you dig in the rear blade the board starts to carve upwind.

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

phase 2 is ready for testing.

it came out lot less sexy than phase one, then again this one will probably work. The ice age isn’t over here so more to come!