Kitesurfing in March: Varadero Cuba

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2008-10-01

PM

Hi everybody,

I will be back at home (Varadero) for the entire month of March, if anyone is there or think of going pm me and let me know, I will show all the kite-spots in and near Varadero. There will be some OR riders from Newfoundland and Toronto down with me and the locals of course, so everyone is welcome to join us!!

cheers
charley

Signature

Ocean Rodeo Rep.
St. John’s Newfoundland, Canada

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2009-10-10

PM

Just out of curiousity….hows the program in Varadero for kiting?  The weather seems like it can be a bit dodgy there compared to other places in the Caribe.

Thanks.

JD

Joined 2008-10-01

PM

Weather Dodgy??? there is more wind in Varadrero than any other place in the Caribe area. I dont know what you mean with program? there are locals riders and some of them teach kitesurfing, the beach is 25-27 km long, crystal clear waters blessed with 15-30 knots winds most year around.

ch

Signature

Ocean Rodeo Rep.

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2009-10-10

PM

I meant temperature wise.  Prob still warmer than Sask though!  I just haven’t heard too much about Varadero kiting and liked the idea.  Some places are not as kitable as others and I just wondered what it was like, how busy, etc.  No malice was intended.
JD

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2009-08-31

PM

I was in Varadero Cuba from Nov 29 to Dec 6 last month.  We didn’t have great wind. A couple days it got up to 15kts or so. We stayed at the Barcelo Marina Palace Resort as recommended from this link.
http://www.kitebeaches.com/kitesurf/loc/varadero_marina_palace_beach.html
It’s a nice spot.  I wish you guys luck!

Cheers, Paul.

Joined 2008-10-01

PM

No worries JD, smile

the temp in Cuba is like any other place in the caribbean, super hot, now the last couple of weeks is being really cold (for cuba) 7C degrees, but the weather right now is all crazy everywhere, look at the warm winter we are having here. In the coldest day you can go all day long kitesurfing without wetsuit, well i am used to the cold Canadians water now and the coldest day in Varadero will be a joke for me.

Padair: to bad you didn’t get any decent wind, November and December are good months, the MArina Palace is one of our favourites spots in town.

anyway windguru works perfect predicting forecast in Varadero if you need it.

cheers
charley

Signature

Ocean Rodeo Rep.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2010-08-10

PM

Heading to Veradero on Sunday! Can you suggest a few spots that work? Any infor would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance.

Tom

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2006-01-17

PM

Hey Tom, your best bet is to go straight to Club Kawama and speak with Jose.  He is the main guy on the beach.  This is also the spot where most of the local guys and girls hang out.  There last year and met some fantastic people.  Love to go back.

Brad

Signature

St. John’s Newfoundland

Joined 2010-08-10

PM

Thanks, The windguru says it will be lite? That is life but I hope I can get a few days in. Thanks for the heads up! it sure looks like it would set up nicely for a downwinder!

Joined 2008-10-01

PM

Tom, I just wrote you back from my email, what Brad is saying is correct, Kawama is the place to go, check in with Jose, he will take care of showing you around and tell you were else to go. Good luck with the wind, this time is normally very strong N winds and NE, so keep finger crossed.

Let’s the high winds be with you smile

Charlito

Signature

Ocean Rodeo Rep.

Joined 2008-10-01

PM

Just checked windguru for Varadero, Sunday and Monday there will be 15 to 18 knots, which it’ll be good for your 14m Tom if it is a Rise wink and that new OR surfboard will be perfect. I am Just teasing Brad, he is dying to try the new OR surf series board, you should be ok with your quiver Tom.

Good luck
Charlito

Signature

Ocean Rodeo Rep.

Joined 2010-08-10

PM

Thanks Charlito

All great info. looking forward to checking this place out. It has got to be the best value on the Planet. I am staying close to 53 Street just by the golf course. i have Jose number and will contact him, I know that things can change in a hurry with Wind and weather so I look forward to posting some info on my return. May be coming to St. John’s this summer, would love to hook up and kite.

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2010-11-01

PM

Hey OR crew I am heading to Varadero during March 21-28. Anyone else going to be there at that time? Would love to hook up with other OR riders. Anyhow this is my first time heading to cuba so it will be a learning experience. I was planning on bringing 11m rise and 15m and my mako 150x40; homemade freestyle board (modelled after zen/naish momentum) which is almost complete, and a 152x47 wood skim I am currently constructing. I don’t really see a need for any small boards or kites as the wind doesn’t seem to surpass 25 knots too often. If anyone can give me more info for riding conditions there that woudl be awesome. As well any key nightspots or sightseeing I shoudl check out?

Cheers

Jimbobway

Joined 2008-10-01

PM

hey Jim, the end of march is a good month, I dont know why you think you will need your big boards and not the small ones, end of March and beginning of April is when the “cuaresma” winds comes, normally 25knots + so be careful with your kite size selection. PM me and I will set you up with some ridees in Varadero and they can tell you where to go for sightseeing etc., there is also a OR Rider in Havana, he goes often to Varadero. I will keep the mako or whatever you use to surf waves and choppy waters.

cheers
charley

Signature

Ocean Rodeo Rep.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2011-03-09

PM

I spent a week in Veradero Cuba in mid-Feb.  The beaches are great and wind picked up relatively consistently each afternoon.  I was with family and kids, and this was the perfect compromise. Great warm beaches most mornings and wind most afternoons.

I am a beginner and took Charlito’s advice above and found Mr. Joze Vizoso.  Despite no cell phones or email, it wasn’t too hard to find him.  Everybody at Club Kawama knows him.  He is an awesome guy and a great teacher.  He has gear—some of it looking a little worse for wear, but recent, quality stuff.  This is one of the cheapest and best places in the world to take lessons.  Joze was very careful and methodical in his teaching.  He is in the water with you, explaining and showing.  He takes safety seriously.  The first day he did a 2+ km body drag with me.  I cannot recommend him enough!

If you are going, he is always in need of gear, and is open to trades for lessons etc.  I am sure a decent used kite would get you a solid week of instruction…  He also often needs repair materials etc, which are hard to find in Cuba.  If you want to know what Joze might need you can probably ask Charlito.

The biggest challenge is communicating with him while there.  Best would probably be to buy him a phone card or something so that he can call your cell in the morning to plan for the day.

Cheers, D

Image Attachments

Joze.jpg

Joined 2008-10-01

PM

Hey D,
I am glad that you found Jose, there is no much to add to your comment, you said it all, Jose takes kitesurfing safety very serious, like everyone should. I found a way to send gear to Cuba and other supplies, if some is interested in sending gear or repairs, please PM me and I will make it happen. good to know that you and the family had a good time D.

cheers
charlito

Signature

Ocean Rodeo Rep.