Travel Bag for Mako King

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2010-02-07

PM

Just wondering if anyone has been able to fit the Mako King into any travel bags, golf bags? I am thinking of getting a King but am concerned on taking it along on the airplane. Has anyone tried to fit it in the Cabrinha 165cm golf travel bag?

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2010-09-07

PM

just got my mako king and I as well am wondering what other people are doing as far as transporting it goes. most of the kite-golf bags out there are 140-150cm. can you even consider a 165cm bag a ‘golf’ bag anyways? being able to fly with gear is kind of a big deal.

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2009-12-30

PM

a divisible board would be a killer travel board…

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2009-10-23

PM

Joined 2010-09-07

PM

The mystic matrix looks promising with the option of having a 170 cm length however, I can’t find a width anywhere online. The other mystic bag dimensions I could find show a 43 cm width. So just a little bit short of the 45 cm on the mako king.

The other concern I have is over packing any of the mako’s because of their concave and rocker. They’re shaped like a pringle’s chip or horse saddle. This means they’re not very flexible and I’m afraid that without the proper support they can get crushed/cracked while in transport. I don’t worry about my usual flat twin tip as that thing can literally bend with a car’s weight because of how much flex it has. Has anyone used a foam support for their mako’s while flying?

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2010-07-05

PM

The 2011 Mako 150 can be setup mutant and should fit into golf bags…so perhaps use that as a smaller version of the King for traveling?

I put my Mako King into a Dakine surfboard bag, but I’d have to pay extra to fly with it.

Signature

Safe riding,

Vik
http://www.thelazyrando.com

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2009-10-23

PM

taiguy - 08 September 2010 06:01 PM

The mystic matrix looks promising with the option of having a 170 cm length however, I can’t find a width anywhere online. The other mystic bag dimensions I could find show a 43 cm width. So just a little bit short of the 45 cm on the mako king.

The other concern I have is over packing any of the mako’s because of their concave and rocker. They’re shaped like a pringle’s chip or horse saddle. This means they’re not very flexible and I’m afraid that without the proper support they can get crushed/cracked while in transport. I don’t worry about my usual flat twin tip as that thing can literally bend with a car’s weight because of how much flex it has. Has anyone used a foam support for their mako’s while flying?

http://www.mysticboarding.com/dealers/

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2006-01-17

PM

I used a Cabrinha 165cm golf bag (board bag - two lengths available) to take my Mako King to Cuba in the spring - good fit.

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

poldo - 08 September 2010 07:42 AM

Yeah, who ever could make a split board that would pack into a normal suitcase would absolutely clean up.  Of course, making the resulting board strong so that it doesn’t break would be useful too. :-D

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2010-07-05

PM

vpas - 15 September 2010 11:45 AM

Yeah, who ever could make a split board that would pack into a normal suitcase would absolutely clean up.  Of course, making the resulting board strong so that it doesn’t break would be useful too. :-D

I’ve seen quite a few models online for sale….I haven’t tried any as my golf bag will swallow up a Mako 140/150 and let me fly for free to Canada/USA/Mexico.

Here is one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XtNE5Mwy-c&feature=related

Signature

Safe riding,

Vik
http://www.thelazyrando.com

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2009-12-30

PM

in Italy there are several manufacturers (Hydro and Newind and others too) of kiteboard divisible absolutely bomb-proof, proven by year’s use, but unfortunately no-one has a model similar to Mako board

Also considering that Mako works with almost no flex should be easir to do a divisible one, perhaps in 2015..

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

Thanks for the video Vik.  Great to see someone has done it.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Joined 2010-09-07

PM

Recently brought my mako king out to seattle to ride (funny since I bought it from Bellingham but shipped to colorado). Put it in my old snowboard bag.

http://www.ogio.com/product/view/328/Caddy-Board-Bag

One of these, but a few years older. I put a kite on the bottom of the bag running the entire length, to help fill the void from the concave on the bottom of the mako. I bought two 6’ pieces of 1/2” pipe insulation foam (pre-slit) from lowe’s. This ran me about $2 and then fits snug around the edges of the board as well as providing a bit of cushion on the top and bottom. I recommend light nylon compression straps to keep it all together. I left my bindings on, but probably could have taken them off for better packing. I stuffed my wetsuit on top and added a few more bits and pieces to fill up space on the top of the board. Survived the trip just fine.

More importantly I got to ride the MK for the first time and loved it!

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Loving the ingenuity here guys! (We have loosely discussed making our own bags too… I’ll keep you posted, as someone on here said, 2015!)

JZ

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2007-08-14

PM

VikB - 17 September 2010 03:50 PM

I’ve seen quite a few models online for sale….I haven’t tried any as my golf bag will swallow up a Mako 140/150 and let me fly for free to Canada/USA/Mexico.

Here is one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XtNE5Mwy-c&feature=related

Which golf bag do you use?

thanks

Joined 2010-09-07

PM

also. apparently the 2011 makos now have wood cores which would go a long way in relieving my fears about the board breaking in transit. damn. does OR have any sort of “upgrade” program? =)