Tuning the kite

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2010-02-23

PM

Hi I have just purchased my first Ocean Rodeo kite ( a 2008 12m Rise ). It came with a new 2009 bar. When trying to put it together feels like something is missing (my front lines are too short ... feels like there should be a line on the kite to connect my front lines too).

The image shows how my bridle looks like and the red line indicates what i feel is missing from my wingtip

I measured the lines of the bridle if it will help someone
A=90 cm
B=42 cm
C=134.5 cm
D=118 cm
Z1=97 cm
Z3=160 cm
Y=60.5 cm

It is really annoying having a “new” kite at home but not being able to go out and use it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Uros

Image Attachments

IMAG0368.jpg

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

As wonderful as your diagram is I am a bit lost. Here is a layout for you to check your bridle against. As of 2008 each part of the bridles should have been labelled for easy replacement and should make it simple for you to check to ensure you have all the parts listed below.

If you want to replace your bridle let your dealer know and we can send you a replacement.

Please also note that your kite should be flown on a bar and line set with 4 equal length lines when the bar is at full power and all trim is taken out of the bar (trim line at it’s closest to the cleat and bar at the chicken loop). Please disregard the 2x kook proof connectors on the outside lines when comparing line lengths, they are added after checking to ensure all 4 lines are the same length.

(click to expand)

John Z

Joined 2010-02-23

PM

Thanks for your reply. This is exactly how my bridle settings looks like. What I am missing is the kok proof connector ( F ). The lines on my bar are all the same length.

How long are the kok proof connectors (F) suppose to be? Is there some recommended length for them or a way i could measure how long they should be?

Total Posts: 349

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

easy way to see.. you could pop the kite up in about 10 knots and see how it flies. the front and back attatchments off the kite dont line up in the sand when you’ve got it pumped up on the beach if thats what you’re worried about?  check your actual lines are even off your bar then go flying smile

the kook proofs wont make a difference, as theres 4 of them so it doesnt affect the line tuning.

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Joined 2010-02-23

PM

The thing is that the kite wont even fly since the back lines are pulling the kite together so it just folds itself… :-( The only way I can get it to fly is if I pull the front lines by hand for like 1 meter and as soon as the kite is in the air and I release them it just folds itself and crashes ..

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

The kookproof connectors are about 10cm i guess and are only attached at your steering lines (backlines)
Do you have line F at your kite? (atached at one of the backline connectors at the kite. (at both sides.))

What you descripe it looks like you are missing line F..

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2009-02-20

PM

sounds to me like he is missing the whole rear bridle, the F line, not just the kook proof connector.

Total Posts: 349

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

pump your kite up, and take a photo for us.. thats the best way smile

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Joined 2010-02-23

PM

yes I am not missing the connector but the whole line F or rear bridle you say.  Is there like some proposed length for it ?

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

KiteZup,

Here is a photo of a 2010 Rise with the bridles shown, it has the exact same bridle system as the 2008s and 2009s. Please see my notes below the photo.

(click to expand)

Your 2008 12m Rise requires a 115cm F Bridle Line for your rear lines to attach to the kite. You can make this line out of any static line such as Q Power line or 3mm spectra. You should tie loops on each end such that you can loop the line through the kite’s attachment point on one end and such that you can attach attach a kook proof connector to the opposite end.

(Kook Proof Connectors are 10cm long extensions to your back lines that reverse the connection process to make it impossible to connect your front lines to the back of your kite. If you don’t have these or don’t want to make them simply make your F bridle line 10cm longer and terminate the bar end of the line with a knot to allow you to larkshead your flying line off on the knot.)

John Z

Joined 2010-02-23

PM

Thanks a lot to everyone for quick replies. I will try this out and let you know if its good. Thanks again.

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2010-02-21

PM

kitezup - 24 February 2010 09:06 PM

Thanks a lot to everyone for quick replies. I will try this out and let you know if its good. Thanks again.

Hello Kitezup,

I bought the new 2010 10m Rise last week and i was looking for the connections too and couldn’t find them either !!
So i called a friend that was on the water with a 2009 rise, he was looking for a second and he saw it was attached at the Leading edge (on inside of the leading edge) under a velcro, just open the velcro and there is your connection for your power lines.

I hope this is the solution for you too

Joined 2010-02-23

PM

Thanks I will check.

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2010-02-21

PM

look at page 12 http://oceanrodeo.com/images/uploads/kiting/pdf/SLE_kite_manual.pdf , you can see that the end (connection) of the bridle is stored under a velcro strap.