2010 bar swivel

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2007-10-03

PM

Well, the new bigger dog ear swivel lookes good on the 2010 bar, but I never get it to work.
It seesm to be free and not sticky.
Anyone out there getting thiers to work ?

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2009-01-07

PM

At first mine didnt but now its usually workin even though ive barely been out in the last while

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Mine swivel like they should. Try to rub some ball bearing grease in to the seam where the parts turn. Heavy duty grade should work, marine grade is preferred.

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

My swivel does not untwist the lines like you would think it should. I have to reach up and untwist the mouse ears then fool with my trim line. I thought that’s what the delay in the 2010 bar was all about, waiting for new swivel? I got my bars in the fall, do I have an old swivel? Is marine grease the answer? I hate putting stuff like that in the swivel since it will just collect grit. I hate to complain about the bar because it has some great features and feels really nice. But the swivel and line hanging up on the pull tab need improvement. I would still like to see a through the bar front line leash setup. Small complaints really when you compare them to how great the new Rises’ are!!

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi Pete,
Designing the perfect swivel isn’t easy and apparently something all brands seem to struggle with. The one OR uses now has been selected and tested for strength and turning performance. Still, one grain of sand can spoil the fun. Some care will help to keep it going. Note that, compared to earlier years, the swivel is mounted upside down in order to let the sand out rather than in.
Regarding your request for a front-line safety (mini 5th), this is only possible with a hollow swivel. The OR design team is currently reviewing different options.
cheers, Rudo

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2007-10-03

PM

I agree, the new bar is awesome. I don’t have any problem with the trim. It works great.
I know swivels are tough and I can live with it.
I feel like the big strap on the center line (o-shit handle) might have something to do with the swivel not working, but I really don’t want to remove this strap although it is useless if the center lines are twisted more than a few times.
Great product overall for sure.

Off subject, I just got back from Aruba and rode my new 2010 9M for 4 days in a row. Awesome kite, stable and quick. huge improvement over my 2008 8M and great range.
Thanks !!

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

My 2010 bar and swivel are working fine!
Frontlines do not twist anymore and when the depower ropes keeps a twist (which is normal) I just rotate the rope by hand and the swivel rotates.

I always flush my gear with fresh water after a sea day

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2010-02-23

PM

I have found that no matter the brand or kite the swivel is an issue for many folks.  My solution has seemed to work well - one or two front rolls OR one or two back rolls seems to always resolve my twists. In the lines that is… Just a thought.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2010-02-23

PM

Flushing with fresh water is great idea and should be common practice…

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Reve - 01 March 2010 03:28 PM

I have found that no matter the brand or kite the swivel is an issue for many folks.  My solution has seemed to work well - one or two front rolls OR one or two back rolls seems to always resolve my twists. In the lines that is… Just a thought.

Since I’m on makos I do a lot of downloop turns, also very helpful. Yet the 2010 bar with the wide spreader seems to work OK in most cases. If it’s starting to make objections, gently rattle and turn it a couple of times. That will usually break the sand on the inside. After that, a good rinse and some grease after drying up should really be enough.

I never rinse my gear - I tell myself that doing R&D for OR frees me from these chores so I can test “worst case scenario”.
In fact I’m just really lazy.

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2008-07-06

PM

Hello,

the swivel of my 2010 bar locked up today. It can’t be rotated, even with strong force. Any advice on how I could fix this (e.g. put it in some liquid or whatever)?

thomas

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi Thomas,
You can submerge the swivel in some fresh water and see if you can push the shaft into the bearing casing a bit. Once you’ve got it moving a bit, do so with the shaft pointing down so any sand and debris washes out.
When it’s swiveling again, let it dry completely and work some general purpose or marine grade ball bearing grease into the bearing. This will protect the bearing from rust and seal off the casing making it hard for sand to get in.

If you can’t unjam it’s either corroded or broken. Penetrating oil can help. If it turns out to be beyond repair get it replaced with your dealer. A swivel should swivel!

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2009-08-08

PM

i use silicone spray on mine every 2 weeks… never had any issues with any of my bars.