Next Board

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2009-12-03

PM

I am looking at purchasing a new board and am contemplating a Mako.  The question is which one.

First, my situation.  I am a beginner still developing upwind consistentcy and just getting the hang of basic slide turns.  I am able to initiate and occasionally land small jumps.  I weigh in at 170# and most of the time end up riding with my 12 meter in 10 to 20 kt winds.  I expect my interests will not lead me toward performing tricks but rather more toward freeride and waves.  My board quiver is a 132 cm underground FLX and a 145 cm North Phantom.  These are both fine boards for flat water and depending on wind I will chose one over the other.  I would like to add a board that is good in choppy water and still gives me enough size to do well in marginal wind conditions.  It would be nice if it could replace the 145 cm Phantom.  If you had do buy just one Mako which would you chose for this situation?

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Decisions decisions
A quick bit of number crunching makes you 77 Kg and not in ballistic winds. Either the 140 Mako or the 150 will do the trick for you especially carving in the waves. The problem is with the 140 and 150 they are both so good at what they do. It will be a try it and see which one is best though if I had to make the choice I would go with the 150 as it will be better at the 10 knot and still good at 20.  Either way you will be smiling

Total Posts: 126

Joined 2007-03-19

PM

I concur on the 150 recommendation.

Joined 2009-12-03

PM

I purchased the 150 and have had it out a couple of times so far.  First impressions are that it does really smooth out choppy water.  Also, it seems to like a more balanced stance (less weight toward the back) in terms of holding an edge.  To facilitate this, I set the foot straps far apart.  Also, not that this should matter a whole lot but its a pretty good looking board. The simple minimalist graphics on the top are way cool.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2010-05-29

PM

Hello oldcolonial,

I own a Mako 150. It’s one from the original production lot! You made a great choice on the 150. I’m the same weight as you are and I have great fun from 12 to about 27 knots flying a 10M Rise. I’ve been riding this board for 6 years, tried many others, but always come back to the Mako. And yes, it smoothes out the chop. It will save your knees!

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Like Joe I have a lot of MAKO hours logged ... I moved from the original (narrow) to the wide (40cm) 150 a few years ago ... I found that my 50 year old knees were getting tired after ~ 2 hour sessions ... Solution: I stood in a comfortable stance (on the ground) & noted the angle of my feet & distance apart then adjusted the foot pads on my MAKO to similar setting ... Result: Longer sessions with more comfort !!! I am addicted to the MAKO’s smooth ride & riding with for & aft heel pressure .

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2009-12-03

PM

jl - 30 May 2010 03:26 PM

Like Joe I have a lot of MAKO hours logged ... I moved from the original (narrow) to the wide (40cm) 150 a few years ago ... I found that my 50 year old knees were getting tired after ~ 2 hour sessions ... Solution: I stood in a comfortable stance (on the ground) & noted the angle of my feet & distance apart then adjusted the foot pads on my MAKO to similar setting ... Result: Longer sessions with more comfort !!! I am addicted to the MAKO’s smooth ride & riding with for & aft heel pressure .

50 year old knees?  Your’re just breaking them in.