Difference between Rise 2008 and 2010

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2010-06-14

PM

Difference between Rise 2008 and 2010
———

I have a Rise 8m2 and 12m2 from 2008 and I really love one of them and hate the other (I am mostly riding freeride and waves)!

I have now decided I want to buy new kites and a little afraid to buy Ocean Rodeo again, because I have had bad experience with one of the sizes from 2008 and it is difficult for me to find out whether the Rise has changed for the better in 2010.

Do someone have experienced with the difference between 2008 and 2010 models for 8m2 and 12m2 (in particular in respect of freeride/waveriding)? 

Cheers Jacob

PS: I think that if I mention the size I hate and mention what exactly is wrong – I am very likely to get a reply from you/OR that this has definitely been improved for 2010, but I will trust the reply much more and immediately go out and buy 2010 Rise kites if you/OR can call the 2008 ‘troubled’ size 8 or 12 and explain what has been changed for the better in the 2010 model. If I can get this reply then I know that I am unlikely to have the same problem, if I buy Ocean Rodeo again.  (but if its too much to expect and no one have had trouble with 8 or 12 from 2008 then, I will be more specific….. grin )

PPS: the real solution was to demo the 2010 kites, but I don’t think that is possible in Denmark/Copenhagen. – suggestions very welcome.

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2008-02-15

PM

I just upgraded from 2008, now I know its not the 8m2, that was a great kite, never flew the 2008 12m2 Rise, But loved the 10m2

So I assume its the 12m2

I had the 2009 12m2 Rise and it was nice, but not as good as the 2010 13m2 I replaced it with this year. The 13 is faster and has a much better range.

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

The 2007,2008 and 2009 where close in performance and handling . The 8m and 10 m where sweet kites . Now in 2010 if you want to match what you have for power look a size down. ie 12 becomes 11.
The 2010 is a different animal. Looks like a Rise but flies so much better.
I have a 7 and 11 both are fast turning and have the back stalling dialed out of them.
Until this year a kept rises kites from 2007 through to 2009 as there was so little difference. This year I change the lot to 2010 so much better.

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Seriously no problem saying that you’ve had issues with a particular size of kite. It helps people to help you and it gives useful feedback to OR and their design team.

Anyway I pretty much concur with what’s said above.

I had a demo on a 2009 12m and thought it was ok. Good low end and pretty managable. Didn’t rock my boat though. The 10m for sure was / is a fantastic machine. Seen Harry throw some pretty big stuff on it.

Last year i tried the new 11m. Financially that was a mistake as it didn’t take me long to part with some hard earned to get one. Superb and the best kite I’ve owned and the best kite OR have made to date (although I haven’t tried the 2010 Diablo). The kite is just rock solid and I don’t need bigger than the 11m (75kgs). It just builds confidence. Liked it enough to buy an 8m which I haven’t tried yet due to the most apalling months of poor kiting weather I can remember. I’d say the only issue I have is line length and truning speed. On the stock 21m + 3m lines I love the extra power and float but could do with it being a little sharper in the turn. On 21m lines it feels perfect but you lose a little of that low end.

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2006-04-18

PM

I have had a quiver of 8,10, 12 m Rises from 2008 through 2010. 

There is no comparison between the 2010’s and 2008. 

You will love the 2010 - it is an amazing kite and has become very popular at our local beach.  In fact a team rider for another brand actually ponied up the cash and payed (gasp!) for a 2010 rise as his primary kite. 

More power, faster turning, kills the loops, better unhooking, broader range, super stable in gusts (not twitchy at all in the smaller sizes). 

Just buy it. 
You will love it. 

If not, OR does have a guarantee.

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

I replaced my 6/8/10 2009 rise kites with 7/9/11 2010 ... The 9 is my daily driver (replacing the 10) ... I’m convinced the new kite flys like a previous generation 1 M larger ... SO the 11 = a 2008/9 12 BUT turns a lot quicker !!! I hope this helps

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2010-06-14

PM

many thanks all your replies

ok i love the 12m2 from 2008 and i use it in anything from 14 - 28 knots - i also like it in waves eventhough its big and obviously slow turning!  the 8m2 from 2008 is unfortunately not working for me - especiallly in waves - turning from heel to toe the 8m2 kite often stalls/drops and very difficult to turn with slack lines - also sometimes when fully powered crusing i have difficulties turning the kite and i need to grab the left or right back line to get it to turn! 

i am looking for someone who had the similar experience with the 8m2 from 2008, but have upgraded to 8m2 - 2010 - and found that much better…

this will give me comfort to buy my new quiver in ocean rodeo again

are any of you using it in waves (1-4 meter)?

i am aware that im fishing for a reply now:-)  but i hope your replies will still be very truthful

thanks again
Jacob

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

i havent tried my 8m yet. The UK wind has been awful to say the least. Vpas (Dave) on here however also has an 8m and I’m sure he was extremely happy with it in combination with a Mako and waves. Give him a shout!

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2008-05-13

PM

many thanks all your replies
ok i love the 12m2 from 2008 and i use it in anything from 14 - 28 knots - i also like it in waves eventhough its big and obviously slow turning!  the 8m2 from 2008 is unfortunately not working for me - especiallly in waves - turning from heel to toe the 8m2 kite often stalls/drops and very difficult to turn with slack lines - also sometimes when fully powered crusing i have difficulties turning the kite and i need to grab the left or right back line to get it to turn! 
i am looking for someone who had the similar experience with the 8m2 from 2008, but have upgraded to 8m2 - 2010 - and found that much better…
This will give me comfort to buy my new quiver in ocean rodeo again
are any of you using it in waves (1-4 meter)?
i am aware that im fishing for a reply now:-)  but i hope your replies will still be very truthful
thanks again
Jacob

Hi Jacob,
Funny, I also own the 8 and the 12 from the 2008 and my experience is quite the opposite. I love the 8 and would like to see the 12 to have the same caracteristics… I also like the 12, but find the 8 much better for my taste.
Anyway I can not help you with your decision. I have tried the Rise 7 from 2010 but only in low winds on the beach and can not say much apart that it turns quicker than my 8 and it feels smaller. I guess that is expected sice it is 1m2 smaller then the 8. : )
Greetings,
Jaros

I have only tried the

Joined 2010-06-14

PM

strange….

forgot to mention that in excess of the stalling - the the 8m2 from 2008 also feels like it goes above your head (almost behind you) when its a 12 o clock   (dont feel the 12m2 does that) 

really appreciate to hear more experineces (preferably in waves) with the 8m2 from 2008 compared with the 8m2 from 2010.

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2006-04-18

PM

Jacobb,

Hate to say it, but sounds like something is wrong with your 2008 8m. Those aren’t characteristics I would attribute to my ‘08 Rise.
In fact if you were simply to try a different ‘08 Rise I’m sure you would find most of those problems gone.

Regardless, the 2010 does not have the issues you state you are primarily concerned about.  In the waves I can have the kite deep in the window and ride down wind right at it and it will still climb to the top of the window.  It is also very stable in gustier conditions - does not dart forward in response to gusts - just kind of soaks them up.

The 8m 2010 Rise is the dream!  Seriously if you like your 2008 12, you will not believe the 2010’s!

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Jacobb do you have the elastic still attached to the struts at the trailing edge. If yes remove it. Some kites it was to tight and gave a weird flying characteristics. May be clutching at straws

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

& check your e-2 length:  http://oceanrodeo.com/forums/viewthread/1133/

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

The XPD’s are the easiest SLE’s to self launch yet, thats what I really like.
The way the kite locks in and tracks true once its moving forward,
and how it it depowers deep in the wind window when its crankin and its just you and a hungry black bear…
it inspires confidence to get out on the water quickly!

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

noo noo - 16 June 2010 07:34 AM

i havent tried my 8m yet. The UK wind has been awful to say the least. Vpas (Dave) on here however also has an 8m and I’m sure he was extremely happy with it in combination with a Mako and waves. Give him a shout!

Here I am. smile

As noo noo says, we’ve had absolutely rubbish wind here in the UK, especially if one is working Monday to Friday. I’ve only had a handful of sessions this year, and twice I’ve been able to use my 2010 8m.  On both occassions, the wind was light for an 8m, most others were on 10m or 12m kites, and I had changed down from my 12m as I started pulling in some depower.

That said, with that limited experience, I couldn’t be happier with the kite.  The second session was in small waves with the Mako 150 and I was able to put the kite exactly where I wanted it to be with the minimum of delay - it was one of the best sessions I’ve ever had, full stop.  I probably ranted at more length about it on here, so have a look at my previous posts if you like.

However, as much as OR would be happy to sell you a new kite, I believe something is wrong with your current one, as stated above.  Everyone I know that’s tried the older 8m has loved it.  I tried a friends for an hour last summer and thought it was brilliant.  No issues in turning nor over-flying.  I just don’t have enough memories of it to offer a direct comparison.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2008-05-13

PM

However, as much as OR would be happy to sell you a new kite, I believe something is wrong with your current one, as stated above.  Everyone I know that’s tried the older 8m has loved it.  I tried a friends for an hour last summer and thought it was brilliant.  No issues in turning nor over-flying.  I just don’t have enough memories of it to offer a direct comparison.

The Rise 8 from 2008 was one on a few kites that I liked from the first minute on. It feels so right, I felt like I was using it for ages, but it was my first time. Also a few of my friends who had try it tought the same. There must be something wrong with your kite.
Greetings,
Jaros