Go Joe Pro - Prototype Video and Photos!

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Ocean Rodeo’s industry leading reputation for innovation and design continues! Based on the incredible success of the original Go Joe leashless board recovery device Ocean Rodeo has developed an entirely new Go Joe Pro!

While still in the prototype phase the all new, low profile Go Joe Pro has been designed as a complement to the original inflatable Go Joe.

The pre production prototype relies on a magnetic trigger to activate a pop-up EVA foam float. When deployed the buoyancy of the float rights an upturned board, and provides a sail like effect driving the board downwind towards the rider. If activated, the float is easy to reset while on the water. The prototype Go Joe Pro is easily attached to your board via a simple snap connection with the board’s grab handle.

Low Profile Riding Mode (click to expand)

Activated (click to expand)

As you can imagine, once we commit to the final production moulds changes are tough to make so we want your feedback! Is this a product you want to see produced? What was your immediate reaction to this concept ? Our initial estimates have this product retailing at between $199 and $229 USD, far less than the cost of a lost board and well worth the safety of riding without a fixed leash.

We will update this post soon with action video of the latest prototype in action on the water!

Please post your comments below for the chance to win one of our newly released hoodies!

Ocean Rodeo, Performance Over Hype!

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2010-07-08

PM

I’ve never needed a Go Joe as I figured out the body drag before the Go Joe came out.

However I think it’s a brilliant idea making things safer for everyone by offering an alternative to leashes.

The new Go Joe looks good, but I would think twice about calling it the pro version. Just think you will attract negative comments due to the fact that no pro would ever need one and that already to many kiters already have a negative
attitude towards the Go Joe.  How about Go Joe Slim or something. Or Smart Joe.

The design looks intelligent and pretty effective.

It would be a good idea to keep in mind that alowing a helper to still be able to grab the board either by the handle or the Go Joe if for some reason the kiter that lost the board headed to ground. It would be nasty to lose both board and Go Joe.

One thing that looks like it could be a problem is that the whole thing looks like a poterntial line snag risk, both deployed and not. This could be offset by having some ridgid foam under the unit to keep lines out and make the open unit so that it could snap off if a line got caught on it.

Making it quick fitting to more than one board would also be a good idea…. probably already is.

Cheers

Fred

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

It makes sense to me ... I never do board off stuff & sail alone often with counter currents taking my board upwind beyond my ability to body drag !!!

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2007-09-12

PM

I saw this thread on KF and wanted a chance to win a hoodie! I love seeing actual engineering in this industry. Ocean Rodeo is one of the few companies that seems to be trying to engineer new things. Kiteboarding is only 10 years old and I feel there is still a ton of room for improvement.

However, although this product is beautifully engineered and well thought out, I don’t believe you will sell much at the 200$ price point, considering the regular go joe is far cheaper. Reason being:
Those riders that care enough to not have the “goofy” look of the original go joe are good enough riders to get to their boards. I went to a lake where they teach a ton, and the school boards all had go joes. It made it really helpful for the students. But any rider that can body drag sufficiently won’t feel 200$ is worth the 1/100,000 chance of losing their board. I for one would rather take the risk of losing my board and put that 200$ towards the new replacement board.

This product of course will have its enthusiasts that ride at difficult locations, but I can’t see anyone at our local spot using one.

Big props to OR for an awesome concept, asking the public, and fine engineering!

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hey guys, thanks comments so far.
@ Fred, the 1st proto we build was much closer to the board, and guess what, it’s impossible to close as the flip plate hits the water before it enters the latch. Caught us off-guard. Also, have the flip plate hover 2cm above the board ensures it won’t catch spray. In use, the line snagging is not a problem as it’s between the foot pads and straps, they’ll have the lines caught before Go Joe gets the chance.

Something remarkable about this Go Joe is that you won’t notice it when you ride, it’s just a tad larger than a European lunch box.

Keep the comments coming!

Joined 2010-07-08

PM

El Rudo - 08 July 2010 07:58 PM

Hey guys, thanks comments so far.
@ Fred, the 1st proto we build was much closer to the board, and guess what, it’s impossible to close as the flip plate hits the water before it enters the latch. Caught us off-guard. Also, have the flip plate hover 2cm above the board ensures it won’t catch spray. In use, the line snagging is not a problem as it’s between the foot pads and straps, they’ll have the lines caught before Go Joe gets the chance.

Something remarkable about this Go Joe is that you won’t notice it when you ride, it’s just a tad larger than a European lunch box.

Keep the comments coming!

Thinking about it a line snag is unlikely before the thing is deployed as your feet would be in the straps.
However there is a risk of a snag when body dragging through the surf, especially for a beginner, but I guess the real risk would be determined by how much force is needed to open the gadget to release a line snag. Maybe tweaking the shape a bit especially near the hinge area to avoid a snag when retreaving the board.

Anyway let me add that I think it is awsome that Ocean Rodeo is putting so much effort into a safety device.

May I suggest another device for teaching. A radio triggered safety release that an instructor could fire if a student is in trouble.
Would be a great way to atract new riders to your brand!

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2008-07-06

PM

looks good, i’m too lazy to bodydrag anyway these days…

thomas

PS: i’m feeling so cold right now, I wish I had a hoodie smile

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Tinkler - the clothing is all in stock and ready to roll - order yours today from the online store or wait to see if you win!

Joined 2010-07-08

PM

For the hoodie: Build in a adjustable time delay, with something like settings from 2 to 10 seconds, for the boardoff tricks, AND for not hurting your foot on it when you loose your board with one foot before the other.

And maybe u can make the leash stiff, or integraded into the strap/pad, so I don’t have to reach down every time. maybe add 2 or 3 different leashes. (Go Joe Pro Custom:)

Rudo mooi dingetje! zeker met andere dingen bezig geweest dan op het water staan. mag ik eens proberen of ie heel blijft als ie klaar is

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2008-01-12

PM

I am a big fan of the Go Joe for beginners who want a little assistance in board retrieval. I have helped sell lots of them and I explain to people that is a useful aid that they will eventually outgrow. On this basis, the old inflatable version is just fine and much cheaper. I cannot imagine anyone paying over $200 for the new plastic one.

Just my guess.

C. Glazier

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

I don’t know about out-growing it.  In super light winds or with a current it can be near impossible to get upwind back to the board.

The design looks great.  I wouldn’t worry about line snags any more than I already do with the foot pads anyway.

The price point is a worry. Obviously innovation costs, but the recession and exchange rates might push this out of the reach of many.

Also, I would hope that it can be swapped between boards quickly and easily.  With 3 boards in my quiver, that would be very important.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2009-01-07

PM

I wouldnt use one because i would just body drag, but there is alot of people that would rather the board come to them.  looks alot better than the other gojoe but it costs alot more aswell ?  imo the only people that will use the go joe pro is the ones that would use the normal go joe anyway! I dont think the new design is enough to entice even more people to use the go joe products!?  since the first one is cheaper and does work if i was to buy one id prob buy that, even though the go joe pro looks better and more compact the price difference would be to big to justify it.

at the end of the day go joe pro is 100 times cooler and better looking/ more efficient than the older ones, but dont see any new customers for ye coming out of it!  Good idea though smile

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2007-09-15

PM

I’d agree with Ed, I think a timer for board offs would be good, though my guess is that would most likely be cost prohibitive.

I prefer the look of the new design, much cleaner than the old one (which I still use) and if the deployment mechanism works well I’d definitely look to upgrade, although the cost could be prohibitive to me when the old one works just fine and I am not that concerned by the look.

My only thought/concern is how good it is at uprighting the board. The original flips the board the right way up then acts like a sail, my concern with this would be is there enough bouyancy there to flip the board upright, or would it stay overturned and act more like a drogue anchor and go with the tide rather than the wind?

I also think I’d like to see the attachment to the grab handle in more detail, if it just snaps in, could enough water tension just snap it back out as well?

Other than that, looks great and if it comes out and is either cost effective enough for me, or if money is flowing like the Rhine, I’ll look to upgrade, or add to my other board :0)

Phil.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, better than a warm soapy tit wank.

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

@ Phil, thanks for your comments! We have figured out that asymmetric buoyancy upright faster and more decisively than symmetric, and starts working at 1/3 of the volume of the current Go Joe. As a matter of fact, we have project-named this version the Go Joe compact most of the time.
The smaller the float, the better it works because the shock cords that make the float plate flip up, have to push against the buoyancy of the float plate when the board is upturned. Making this too big would mean you need very high tension on these shock cords, and a super stiff construction to resist all that tension.

Joined 2006-11-08

PM

I assume from the video that there is a battery and some sort of electronics built in that triggers the release mechanism from the magnetic trigger. I guess this is one of the reasons why it is so expensive. What keeps the magnetic sensor in place and how well does it stay in place in waves etc.

I think the idea of the original Go-Jo is great; competitively prices and incredibly simple design. This new design looks a lot more discrete and attractive and will appeal to a lot of people.

Without trying one out, my first impressions are that it is probably over-engineered and far too expensive.
Basic design philosophy K.I.S.S (keep it simple stupid) always works for me anyway.

I also agree with some of the comments about the proposed name, Go Jo Pro doesn’t quite sound right. How about another thread to find the best name possible, also gives us all another chance to win a hoddie.

I’d love to get may hands on one of these to try out.

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Mo’ Joe ?

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Chris Glazier on the OR forum! Welcome! smile I’m going to have to abstain from drawing names from the hat for who wins the OR hoody, lest I be accused of rigging the vote should you win - I’d love to see you rocking one of our new designs!

John Z

Joined 2009-05-25

PM

I was pretty surprised at how well received the original GoJo was. I never expected it to sell however I have seen numerous boards with it installed. I do agree its for the beginner so the price point of the new Go Jo Pro is probably a little high considering all the other gear required for a beginner to shell out for.

That said, this version is much less intrusive, goofy looking and looks to work just as well so perhaps this version will sell even better!

And yes, if Glazier wins it fixed!! :D (J/K)

Keep up the awesome work guys, OR is da Bomb.

FlashJ

Signature

Skypilot Kiteboarding

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Wha elemental! we went as KISS as as it gets, very difficult to over engineer AND get it to work if you want to survive heavy beach break and 10m drops. There is no battery, no IC, no PCB, no rocket science to be found in there, it’s bungees and an extremely simple latch mechanism. By tugging on the leash with a threshold force (the release force of the magnet from the ankle leash) the latch opens and frees the spring loaded soft-foam plate.

Good point for the naming though, bring on your ideas right here in this thread! (I can’t think of hoodies right now as in NL we’re having monumental temperatures close to 40°C)

elementalsurfer - 09 July 2010 06:04 PM

I assume from the video that there is a battery and some sort of electronics built in that triggers the release mechanism from the magnetic trigger. I guess this is one of the reasons why it is so expensive. What keeps the magnetic sensor in place and how well does it stay in place in waves etc.

I think the idea of the original Go-Jo is great; competitively prices and incredibly simple design. This new design looks a lot more discrete and attractive and will appeal to a lot of people.

Without trying one out, my first impressions are that it is probably over-engineered and far too expensive.
Basic design philosophy K.I.S.S (keep it simple stupid) always works for me anyway.

I also agree with some of the comments about the proposed name, Go Jo Pro doesn’t quite sound right. How about another thread to find the best name possible, also gives us all another chance to win a hoddie.

I’d love to get may hands on one of these to try out.

Joined 2009-05-25

PM

hmmm i actually thought GoJo Pro rolls off the tongue pretty easy….

Signature

Skypilot Kiteboarding

Joined 2009-01-07

PM

go joe compact!

Joined 2010-07-09

PM

I never tried Go Joe but I think the oldest model is better. In my personal opinion this new prototype of Go Joe sucks..!! Can’t you make a model without this disturbing leash?? You can’t do board offs and you have to put this leash every time… :((  In some places a lot of experienced riders lose their boards… So you should make a product that is not only for beginners!

Can’t you produce a “wireless leash”???? Maybe you can put a Bluetooth device or something else. You can put a long life buttery so the user will not have to charge the devise often. Or you can make a patent of a wireless leash that don’t need to be charged! Think about it!!

Another critical point is if the “pop-up EVA foam float” is strong enough to stand a violently impact from high altitude when it is deployed.

As regard the price, I think it’s a bit expensive. Specially for a beginner is very expensive. Maybe it would be better for a beginner rider to buy a used board than to buy Go Joe.

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi georgg, thanks a lot for your comments.
I’d like to seriously point out that this design or the prototype does not suck on anything, even though you’re fully entitled to not like it. It does what it needs to do and has been thoroughly field tested by three of the most destructive riders around (Ross, Richard and me, bring us any piece of kit and we’ll kill it).
You are bringing on a valid point by mentioning remote control like BT. BT has a very limited range and is better suited for short stroke complex full duplex RF, and operates in the gigahertz range (low power, high data density).
RF for marine applications is tough, it takes very low frequencies to get a couple of hundred meters through 50% large water volumes, which is what you deal with “surface to surface”. These take loads of energy and huge antennas so big batteries are needed. We’ve been considering this carefully and we might at some point in time start pursuing such ideas. For now, the simple leash thing is the best working KISS solution we could get to work 100%.

EVA foam is the stuff used for running shoe soles, Crock shoes etc and is one of the toughest foam materials around. Impacts on the float are handled by the shock cord construction of the pop-up hinge.

You can do board offs, if you place the bungee tip in the parking hole next to the orange dot. On a different note, if you intend to do lots of board offs during a session, you can leave the Go Joe Pro in your car as it snaps on and off the grab handle very easily.

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2007-05-26

PM

Except for the price, this thing looks cool—and very clever engineering!  I also think the price may be too high for mass sales, but you never know till you try.

Questions: —is the trigger leash set-up able to accomodate switching feet on a jibe (something I have been trying to do with small but increasing degrees of success on the Make King)?  And is there any way it could be engineered to be installed without a full grab handle on a standard directional?

Joined 2010-02-13

PM

Love the concept - but I do think the price point is too expensive.

Could you make a simpler version with the EVA foam that is always in the “up” position. It would still be a smaller profile than the current Go Joe.

Joined 2007-09-15

PM

Thanks El Rudo,

that makes more sense now, I couldn’t watch the video the other day as I was at work, but the way the magnet works is more obvious now as I thought it was the loss of magnetism that caused activation, this clearly shows the magnet just secures the leash to the leg strap until enough force can pull the magnet off. I like it, it thats how it works then prepping for a board off should be fairly simple, either activate first, or just pull off the leg strap. May I make a suggestion there? Would it be possible to have a small elastic chord going to the magnet? That way if you are prepping for a board off you could just reach down and pull it off the leg strap and the leash would move out of the way, rather than having to stow it in the hole next to the orange button. Otherwise it seems nice and simple smile

If you guys say there’s enough buoyancy there than I trust you, you know what you’re doing smile

2 more points/questions.

Does the grab handle come with the new unit? It appears to be made to fit the inside of the Go Joe just right, so I assume it comes with the new unit? If so, will the handle fit all boards?

Second, would it be possible to make the underside of the unit, the part hidden when in the down position, really bright, something like the orange of the current version? Just a thought that it could help make the board more visible in the water, thats one of the things that attracted me to the Go Joe in the first place.

Have a top weekend

Phil.

Signature

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2010-07-05

PM

The new GoJoe looks cool, but I wouldn’t buy one for $100+...the original works well and is already fairly costly.  I was thinking of getting my GF a GoJoe to help her out as she starts KBing, but I’d expect to remove it and stop using it after that.  As some posters have noted there may be certain KBing locations where a GoJoe is more useful even for experienced KBers, but at $200 will be a hard sell IMO.

My other concern would be the effort req’d to reset the trigger and get the Go Joe Pro ready for the next crash.

Having said all that the engineer in me likes the design and the effort that went into getting it to the current stage.

safe riding,

Vik
http://www.thelazyrando.com

Signature

Safe riding,

Vik
http://www.thelazyrando.com

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

This design is a quantum leap beyond the original inflatable struture.
No pump needed!
Plus I like how this design is low profile during use, this is a big plus for rider comfort and balance.
That magnetic leash thing, I’ve never seen anything like that before.
That is pretty darn cool you guys!
I still use my Go Joe when the conditions are sketchy, especially for NW storm sessions
when the choatic sea state can make it very difficult to recover a board laying flat on the water.
Plus I’ve noticed that if your board does get away, its much easier for someone else to rescue
because of its visibility.
These things allow you to save all your energy for the ride by making board recovery easier,
thats a fact.

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hey Craig, that’s exactly how I would use it, those hairy sessions when dragging for board is nowhere near fun. We figured it’s as important to be able to install and remove the new Go Joe.

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

yes, that snap connection to the handle makes this unit a slick system IMO
Being able to switch the go joe from one board to another quickly
without a screwdriver…that a big time saver, plus you only need one for the quiver.
I like how Ocean Rodeo aims high with its designs, its pushing this sport into uncharted waters
with the best gear money can buy.
There was a kiter around here who made his own go joe out of a 1/2 of a hard foam life ring.
fastened it right to the handle inserts and it came up almost to his knees.
This new one is soooo much easier on the eyes!

Awesome job OR! cool smile

Total Posts: 574

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Full marks again to OR for an innovative product and for sharing ideas etc. in the design process with the wider community who’ll actually be using one for real.

I think the price will deter many. Make riders (sunrise - sorry Danny told me) learn to body drag properly for fear of the cost implications of purchasing one over the Mk1 model.

That said there will no doubt be a market out there for them but will it be a big enough one to make production worthwhile?

I’ll stick to the risk of having to replace a lost board - never normally win anything anyway….besides I treasure my ‘Crew’ hoodie from Nitinat 2008 - In fact I’m wearing it right now!  wink

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2007-09-15

PM

Personally I have my OR branded dangerous underwear on!

Signature

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2007-08-14

PM

I like the way it looks and is setup.
It would be nice if it didn’t have to have a leash like setup to your leg, but I don’t know how to get around that either…

I also agree that price point is a little high.  I think in could justify 149.99.

Keep up the good work ocean rodeo!

Josh

Joined 2009-01-07

PM

and i take it it doesnt work in cross shore winds? if anything it would do the opposite?

Joined 2007-09-15

PM

sean - 20 July 2010 09:50 AM

and i take it it doesnt work in cross shore winds? if anything it would do the opposite?

que??

In cross shore winds it will blow it, err, cross shore!? Same as the current one does. Depending on the currents it may go faster one way than the other, but it will still go cross shore. The only time it wouldn’t be a great idea is offshore, but then, you shouldn’t really be riding in off shore winds?

Signature

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Hey Woody71 - Looking at your signature one suspects that you’re pretty passionate about Ocean Rodeo red face ....Just pondering how it’d perform in warm soapy waters? wink

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

Back on topic ...

While it’s a clever design, I doubt sales at a $200 US price-point will cover development & promo costs. Affluent beginners too self-conscious to use the inflato GoJo, rental boards, and advanced riders who regularly ride in strong up-wind current conditions are your market segments. I don’t think it will sell to riders in big wind / can’t see your board wind chop conditions. I get a fair amount of those conditions and I wouldn’t buy at $200 US.

The product has similarities to the “Deviator” from windsurfing, an add-on to the front of the mast foot to prevent the mast from demolishing the nose of the board in a wicked wipe-out. It protected a $1,000+ board from ~ $300 repair cost and retailed for about $70. Great idea but I doubt it sold enough to cover mold & patent costs.

However, if product testing has shown you can get the same function from an EVA float 1/3 the size of the inflato, I’d recommend replacing the inflato model with a fixed compact EVA that clicks in, no more screwing around with the board handle. IMO, smaller size and fast on-off are the two selling features of the GoJoPro !

JZ -  that Hoodie can’t go to Glazier, he’d get “Naish” printed all over it,  and Andy, poor lad needs more TOW, and/or time between the sheets !

Signature

Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

Joined 2007-09-15

PM

andy - 20 July 2010 06:02 PM

Hey Woody71 - Looking at your signature one suspects that you’re pretty passionate about Ocean Rodeo red face ....Just pondering how it’d perform in warm soapy waters? wink

Orgasmic ;0)

Signature

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

We’ll announce the winner of the sweat shirt next week folks!!

Joined 2010-07-23

PM

Someone told me about this, so just popped over to have a look.  I think it’s an amazing idea!  I’ve spent the last 2 years tootling about being too scared to really send it for fear of losing my board!  I usually fly in a lot of chop & often can’t see where my board is to body drag back to it.  After almost losing it several times I just stopped taking risks & it got really bit boring for a long time there!  I’ve just done my first ever week in warm waist deep waters & what a difference when you know you can walk to your board!  Properly sent it every time I did & learnt so much (well you can do when you’re that high up!).  I wouldn’t buy the original one, looks very big & like it’d get in the way to me, but if I could still do board offs with this then yes I’d be interested, though tiz a bit pricey.  If you need any testing in the UK though…. wink

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Thank you Karen for voicing what all of us have gone through while pushing the bounderies.
The dynamics of risk versus progression
The go joe, especially this new one, should greatly reduce the risk of getting seperated from your ride.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

I have GoJoe v1, and v2. I find the new GoJoe interesting. I would like to see a leash-less activation system. My solution:
A magnetic anomaly detector (MAD) on the GoJoe that can detect when the strong magnet on the magnetic ankle bracelet is not in close proximity. You can probably buy a miniaturized MAD microchip that takes nearly no power from a chip plant in Hong Kong. Board offs? No problem, the MAD only fires the release latch when the board is 2 meters away.

Can I have my hoodie now?

kind regards
Kirk

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Joined 2007-09-15

PM

Soooooooooo…..

Who’s the lucky winner?

Signature

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

Woody71 - 30 July 2010 12:26 PM

Soooooooooo…..

Who’s the lucky winner?

I know, things getting busy with new ‘11 gear and Windfest at Nitinaht coming up .... but this should be a quick one to knock off ...

Signature

Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

Joined 2007-09-15

PM

GregKnowles - 04 August 2010 08:22 AM
Woody71 - 30 July 2010 12:26 PM

Soooooooooo…..

Who’s the lucky winner?

I know, things getting busy with new ‘11 gear and Windfest at Nitinaht coming up .... but this should be a quick one to knock off ...

Yeah I guess so, still no word eh :(

Signature

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2007-01-05

PM

Okay…we have a winner.

All the feedback was great and much appreciated. Tough to pick a winner so we put all your names in a hat and conducted a legit random draw.

And the winner is…Craig Myers!!

Nice work buddy! Drop me a message with what size you would like.

Cheers.

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

grin There’s no more a worthy winner - Congrats. Craig!

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Whoa, hold on there.
Let me get a handle on this…just got back from a much needed vacation,
and I am still smiling from that last session in the waves on the foggy washington coast.
I’ve been dreaming of using the King in the waves for months…and finally that dream came true!
Now I am like-double stoked man!
Thank you OR dudes!!!!!

I’m going to give up on trying to wear out my session harness from 06’,
and have Kevin ship me a new session2 with the new hoodie.

Looking forward to seeing the new high tech go joe when it comes out too, these things really work!

(Kevin, I’ll ring you later you rascal!)

Joined 2007-09-15

PM

spawny git!

congrats mate, enjoy smile

Signature

Joined 2010-09-21

PM

I’ve been using a GoJoe for several years, ever since my jumps exceeded the length of a leash system, and I like them very much. The first generation of GoJoe was too easy to overinflate and then explode if the board went underwater. I never owned a second generation one but still have two of the first generation that I am working on.

The first (and, from what I have heard) the second generation GoJoe can rub against one’s leg if not wearing a wetsuit, so the new design would eliminate that problem.

The design of the GJP looks very well thought out. The comments on your forum clearly show that there is a certain stigma to having a brightly colored sail on your board. There is an attitude that any form of leash system is somehow beneath expert riders. Well, I have been riding for about a decade now and think that I can hold my own with the rest of the crowd, but I like the idea of not having to shark for my board and get lots of salt water in my face or mouth. It spreads the sun block into the eyes and I do not think that I need that level of discomfort just to appease a few strong-mouthed individuals. I also use an electric kite pump and got a lot of attitude when I first started using it, and now many kiters use (or at least want) an electric pump. To me, kiting isn’t about how manly I can be, it is about maximizing the time I have to exercise, socialize, and enjoy being outside. So devices like the GJP and electric pumps move me closer to getting the most fun out of my session. You “purists” can do what you want, and I will do what I want, and lets just leave it at that.

There are several design points in the GJP that are very nice from my perspective. First, I normally start riding in shallow water by standing on the board. This requires that the GJ go underwater and so I underinflate it a bit. The new design would clearly not require that. Second, having the GJP lie flat during most of the session is a clear plus from the political standpoint, and probably even from a trick execution standpoint. Third, the new design will eliminate the problem of over/under inflation of the device. Fourth, the new device will probably last longer since it cannot explode and is entirely passive.

Like others, I have some concerns. First, the price point is definitely high. The old GJ was expensive. You have to think about the value it provides and the cost of the device it is protecting - the board. If the price fo the GJP competes with the price of a replacement board then it becomes difficult to justify the cost. Second, it looks, from the video, as though we would have to use the handle that comes with the device because it has a cross member that is used to snap the device into. If OR was to provide the cross piece in such a way that it could be used with any handle that might be nice. I have to say that for every GJ I have mounted I have had to purchase new screws, because the GJ base is about 1/8” and the handle screws (and thread inserts) just won’t allow for that extra height. The GJP would also, so if the handle modification suggestion is considered then new screws should be provided with the package. Third, the strap and magnetic connector aren’t so bad for initial riding, but won’t there be a chance of that strap getting yanked off during the rough and tumble existence that boards and kiters go through? Is it designed to be replaceable? Is an extra provided or available at a reasonable cost? Is it fair to assume that the bungees are replaceable over time?

Overall I think that it is a great design and I would definitely like one if the cost is reasonable.

Jack

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Hey,
I just wanted to let everyone know that there was no definitive winner in this contest,
and that my name was drawn at random from an OR hat during a beer break in the office lounge.
Did they get the feedback that they were hoping for?
I don’t know.

I made the mistake of opening the box from OR central with my older brother,
I couldn’t wait to check out that new harness.
I was flip’n stoked to discover Kevin had slipped a Predator in the box too for a 30 day “love it or send it back” test run.
Thats when that burly manimal made his move and snagged my hoodie.
When I asked him to give it back, he told me to get a life.
Sometimes you gotta go with the flow.
No way am I giving this predator suit back to OR either.

ps-I’ve used the session 2 harness 3 times now, sans leg straps, and I’m love’n the fit and that new bar pad big time!

Joined 2010-10-11

PM

The new Prototype “GJP” with a slicker compact design is a great idea and will do very well! The release mechanism obviously should be as simple as possible for the user and the manufacturer. Perhaps a mechanism that is triggered by the release of pressure in the foot strap i.e. the arm stays down when one’s foot is in the binding. Electronics and salt-water are generally a poor mix when you are trying to keep production costs down. Subman.

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

That’s a really good bit of video Craig. I’d be interested to know what camera and housing you’re using. How have you fixed it to your lines? Would be good to see a photo of the fixing method? Sound track fitted it awesomely!

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

thats the gopro hd & a prototype kite hero mount similar to the production version.

I got lucky this time, it was a random pick for the soundtrack on utube!

Joined 2007-09-15

PM

craig myers - 12 October 2010 02:28 PM

thats the gopro hd & a prototype kite hero mount similar to the production version.

I got lucky this time, it was a random pick for the soundtrack on utube!

thats a brilliant mounting point though Craig, really good!

Signature

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2008-04-15

PM

Has anyone heard anything about the current status of the the Go Joe Pro?

Joined 2012-01-06

PM

This is a good idea but will be too expensive.

I’m using the inflatable GoJoe which saved my boards several times, however they are poorly fabricated and break after a few hard crashes. The design of the existing GoJoe needs to be revised with stronger material for the base and that will work just fine.
Also when you crash once with that mechanical GoJoe, you won’t be able to hook it up again to your ankle with the kite in one hand and the board on the other one and trying to hook it up with one hand can be potentially dangerous as you won’t pay attention to the kite while struggling with that little leash and your one hand.

Also what a stupid idea to make the inflatable GoJoe black? Just like why are all wetsuits black - stupid too. The coast guards say do not wear black on the water unless this is what you want to be buried in. I put some bright yellow fabric around my GoJoe so I can see them from afar, that would be much better if they were competely yellow or red in the first place.

BTW, Ocean Rodeo has not responded to my claims about the broken GoJoe, they are just 3 or 4 months old…

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

geotrouvetout - 06 January 2012 03:42 PM

I’m using the inflatable GoJoe which saved my boards several times, however they are poorly fabricated and break after a few hard crashes. The design of the existing GoJoe needs to be revised with stronger material for the base and that will work just fine.
Also when you crash once with that mechanical GoJoe, you won’t be able to hook it up again to your ankle with the kite in one hand and the board on the other one and trying to hook it up with one hand can be potentially dangerous as you won’t pay attention to the kite while struggling with that little leash and your one hand.

Also what a stupid idea to make the inflatable GoJoe black? Just like why are all wetsuits black - stupid too. The coast guards say do not wear black on the water unless this is what you want to be buried in. I put some bright yellow fabric around my GoJoe so I can see them from afar, that would be much better if they were competely yellow or red in the first place.

BTW, Ocean Rodeo has not responded to my claims about the broken GoJoe, they are just 3 or 4 months old…

Where did you buy your GoJoes from? I had two of the original version fail and I got replacements from the then Danish dealer. I think they were the same from a bad batch. I now have an original one and the new black model with the orange stripe and both are still going strong for +2 years. I value your comments that improvements to the v2.0 such as further reinforcement of the base could be worth considering.

kind regards
Kirk

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Joined 2012-01-06

PM

Kirk - 06 January 2012 10:23 PM
geotrouvetout - 06 January 2012 03:42 PM

Where did you buy your GoJoes from? I had two of the original version fail and I got replacements from the then Danish dealer. I think they were the same from a bad batch. I now have an original one and the new black model with the orange stripe and both are still going strong for +2 years. I value your comments that improvements to the v2.0 such as further reinforcement of the base could be worth considering.

kind regards
Kirk

Bought from a retailer in Oregon. Good point, I did not think about asking them for support but OR should have followed up on it nevertheless. They are of the second generation. I think if the base was made of some flexible but not too flexible plastic that would work better than the existing foam 3 layers sandwich.

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2007-09-24

PM

Ha, Ha,
Sorry OR boys but this one won’t fly..
$200 for a pop up wind drifter thingy…
I love your kites ,, fly nothing else,,  but this thing has to be a joke…... No?

I’m sure it’s only a matter of time for other kite board companies to copy and one up your idea here wink.....................Waiting….....
Please stick to spending R&D money on the best kites on the planet (razors) ... You’ll be better served.. imho…

I have honestly only seen one guy using a blow up Joe Pro at our local beaches and he doesn’t even fly OR kites…....That’s like a 1/200 ratio…....
I just don’t see the real need ,, nor market , for such a product….. No disrespect to OR meant here….... But I don’t see a rush of buyers of this products…
I’m a die-hard OR kite junkie, but that’s my limit….

Joined 2012-01-06

PM

Tony Dobson - 07 February 2012 01:59 AM

I just don’t see the real need ,, nor market , for such a product….. No disrespect to OR meant here….... But I don’t see a rush of buyers of this products…

I disagree, I think in the contrary it’s a great invention, there is a market for it and I would have lost boards without it no doubt. A friend of mine is using one but he has two 3 boards. Last time he used his brand new OR board without a go Joe he lost it. We looked for it for an hour in waist deep freezing water and did not find it. Should it have a GoJoe it would have been sticking off the water and visible. Luckily someone found it 30 miles away a couple weeks later but the GoJoe for me is a must have. True not many guys want to spend $75 on that, few use it and boards get lost all the time. Some made knock off GoJoe with a bike tube and electrical tape around it, kinda funny looking but it works too.

Joined 2007-09-24

PM

Ok..
I guess you convinced me…. Just let me get out my wallet…. Hang on a sec…. wink

Learn this body dragging tip and lose the Go Pro…

When the board comes off your feet,,, DON’T panic… Look over your shoulder and quickly site the board…... Now going totally against natural instinct,, body drag pretty far away from the board on a long up wind tack going in the opposite direction with least restriction….
This usually means continuing out further than needed if heading away from shore… Once you know you’ve gone farther than required,,,, re- direct your kite and turn to face your un-go pro’d board…...

If you committed to the prolonged body drag in the opposite direction, you can simply drag cross wind on a relatively slack angle and never have to fight up wind towards the drifting board….
Most times you’re so far upwind and behind the drifted board it’s just a straight down wind drag while figure eighting the kite to get you there quickly…..Figure eights also pull you up out of the water allowing you to get above any waves and look down to the water…

The key is you have to drag away diagonal / upwind from the board further than you feel comfortable doing as soon as it comes off your feet, not try to stay near it out of fear of losing it…

At first you’re reluctant to drag away from the board fearing loss of visual contact with it…. After a while you can relax always knowing the board will be downwind of you and easy to get to…...
Now if you’re lazy and or scared of body dragging away from a dropped board, perhaps that $ 200 spent on a wind drift thingy is a better investment than learning possible life saving tips???
  I’ve been kiting since 2000 and never lost a board…. I’ve had some close calls early on , but no problems or worries after applying this technique..
Believe what I’m saying or call BS..  I really don’t care ....  At least I can say:  ” I tried”...... It’s your money….

Yellow boards are the easiest to track… If you don’t want to lose sight of your boards paint them yellow or orange….

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2009-02-20

PM

The key is you have to drag away diagonal / upwind from the board

Oh, we should drag UPwind!?!  thanks for clearing that up…...

Also been kiting for around 10 years, and can body drag with the best of ‘em.  That didn’t stop me from losing my board one time when the wind quickly went from 15-30, i got ripped off the board and sent skipping across the water.  I was more concerned about staying alive than quickly spotting the board.  The board was just gone, i went back out on small gear and looked for an hour until it got dark.  came back with a kayak the next day.  Just gone.  and this was on a lake.  That’s the last board i’ll lose.

Now i look at it as a luxury item.  I can get ripped 100 yds downwind after a blown trick and i’m still back on the board in under 30 seconds.  normal fall, the board is there in under 10 seconds with zero effort.  helpful when the water is cold to not be sitting in it for 1-3 mins while dragging.

also really helpful when the current and wind are opposite directions like at the gorge or sf bay on a slack tide.

The downside?  Pretty much everyone makes fun of me for using it.  I think that’s why most people don’t take advantage of a pretty useful product - they’re afraid they won’t look cool and get made fun of by someone like TD.  I don’t pay much attention to those people when i’m looking down at them from 30ft off the deck.

Use it or don’t, but why spend time trying to talk people out of using it?  my 2 cents.

Joined 2007-09-24

PM

miltsface - 15 February 2012 08:42 PM

The key is you have to drag away diagonal / upwind from the board

Oh, we should drag UPwind!?!  thanks for clearing that up…...

The downside?  Pretty much everyone makes fun of me for using it.  I think that’s why most people don’t take advantage of a pretty useful product - they’re afraid they won’t look cool and get made fun of by someone like TD.  I don’t pay much attention to those people when i’m looking down at them from 30ft off the deck.

Use it or don’t, but why spend time trying to talk people out of using it?  my 2 cents.

Hey Miltsface…

The first line you’ve written in your quote above is YOUR feeble attempt at mockingly making fun of me… You should have finished the sentence with   Duh!?!,,,, for more impact…...ha,ha…

I see nowhere in my post where I’m “making fun” of anyone here…... Nor did I mention anyone “not looking cool” because they use a go pro…
Please don’t try to put words in my mouth… I know what I said….. But you obviously can’t read nor comprehend….
You mention looking down on people like me from 30ft…....  Implying that I’m positioned somewhere lower than you,,,, perhaps on the food chain??? lol…...  You tell me…

Just like you, I’m allowed to voice my opinion on a subject or a device that is promoted here…
I guess you feel I should just shut up and let all the sheep like yourself wax poetic about products like this….
I feel I offered some good alternative advice to anyone who’s having trouble dragging back to their board…..
Obviously I was not referring to you at your 30’ altitude….
    15-30 knot winds = Light to moderate + wind speeds…............Sorry to hear you had such trouble in such torrid conditions..

This is the last post by me here on this subject… I fly the kites, they rock…  TD Out…..

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Guys - not to open old wounds here but these types of exchanges are best left off this forum… we encourage debate but I certainly hope to see people avoid slights, intended, implied or misinterpreted as such not withstanding. This is a community, if you piss in the community pool your mom will not let you play with others. 

None the less, I walk the line between both positions. Miltsface is exactly right, the Go Joe is a huge help not just in getting your board back but also in seeing you board, a real help in heavy seas on with high currents. Tony’s also right though, no kiter should be discouraged from learning to body drag.

As an aside, Tony you dismiss the interest in the product. By volume (number sold, not total dollars) the Go Joe is by far our most widely purchased product we have ever made. Schools teach almost exclusively with them once they are exposed to them and it is not uncommon for us to handle 20-50 Go Joe orders for one account. It is something many kiters will out grow the need for but - like Miltsface - there will also always be times and places where riders of all levels will feel more comfortable with one on their board.

John Z - OR

Joined 2007-09-24

PM

Yes….....You’re absolutely right John.
  My apologies to you and the Crew….
I will enjoy flying the best kites I’ve owned and leave it at that…..

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2008-04-15

PM

Anyone hear recently if they are ever going to bring this product to market after presenting it almost 2 years ago?