2011 equipment photos from AWSI!

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Some pics of the new stuff from AWSI.

5’11 Surf.

JT Pro, lighter, less expensive and more flex than the Zen.

Mako King, all new wood core construction, ships stock with full deck pad. Lighter, stronger, more flex!

2011 Rise!

2011 Razor!

Razor mini-bridle!

Notice the additional pulley (this on on the 2011 Rise bridle as well). This is a really cool new arrangement which does not affect the in-flight performance of the kite in any way - under flying load it is ” locked ” in place and does not move. However, when the rider ejects and safeties the kite, this bridle travels along it’s line, which places almost all of the tension on the front lines.The effect is to roll the kite (both Razor and Rise), almost completely onto its back ready for relaunch. This ” flagged ” position results in significantly less pull than on previous Rise models after ejection.

Mako 130, 140, 150: 140 and 150 now with Mutant stance options, and all are wood core - lighter, stronger, more flex!

2011 Freestyle bar. Above the bar depower, mini 5th.

2011 Freeride bar. All new C/loop design for smoother/easier trim in and out!

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Performance over Hype

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 97

Joined 2007-10-02

PM

Wow, the gear looks awesome! Can you buy the 2011 freestyle bar chicken loop assembly for retro fitting older bars? It looks so nice. I’ve never needed more then 6-8” of depower on any rise so the below the bar depower is unnecessary.

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2007-09-15

PM

windjunky - 17 September 2010 07:58 PM

Wow, the gear looks awesome! Can you buy the 2011 freestyle bar chicken loop assembly for retro fitting older bars? It looks so nice. I’ve never needed more then 6-8” of depower on any rise so the below the bar depower is unnecessary.

Yeah I’d like that flag system as well on my 2010’s :0)

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, better than a warm soapy tit wank.

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-09-04

PM

when can i order the new rises ?

Signature

I love to Kiteboard

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2009-08-20

PM

woopiiiiiiiiiiiiii

I want a 10m, 8m Rise in ORANGE !!!!!!!!!1 and the JT 132x40.

Maybe the surf 5’11 too

love the green on the mako king

Ocean Rodeo love fest, actually I want one of everything

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2009-09-13

PM

No swivel on 2011 Freeride bar?????????????????????????????????

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2010-09-18

PM

yeeehaaa cant wait to get my mitts on this lot,happy days cool grin
students get spoilt nowadays ah rolleyes

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

herculare - 18 September 2010 04:21 PM

No swivel on 2011 Freeride bar?????????????????????????????????

Yes, there is. It’s just not visible in the photo.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2008-05-24

PM

...sorry, I must be the only one who is not impressed with the new Rise graphics….

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2009-01-17

PM

On the 2011 bar, do you use a different rope for the chickenloop line?
I wax mine regulary, but after using my 2010 bar for just 3 months it already looks like sh1t.
The rope on the 2009 bar looked more durable actually, but I think there is still lots of room for improvement.
A mate of mine bought some line from a marine supply store that seems to do the job much better.

Regarding graphics of the Mako: I thought they were great 2008 and 2009..

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2010-02-21

PM

lagocalima - 19 September 2010 02:20 AM

...sorry, I must be the only one who is not impressed with the new Rise graphics….

You’re not the only one, the Razor looks way better and i wouldn’t buy the Rise because of the horrible graphics…marketing trick ?  tongue wink

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2008-10-01

PM

guys,

the 2011 Rise graphic is way better than the 2010 one, c’mom thats still a conservative design but has more color area and less white.

I will admit that I am always looking forward for a Rise design very aggressive/young looking style like North has done some times* but I will consider this one a big step forward to that. The Rise is the most fun kite I have tried (I have tried everything) so thats the reason I think it should have a really fun graphic and colors.

again, I am happy with the 2011 looks, a white model or black will be a killer! smile too!
cheers

Signature

Ocean Rodeo Rep.
St. John’s Newfoundland, Canada

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2009-07-24

PM

lagocalima - 19 September 2010 02:20 AM

Nope, not alone. I don’t like the Rise as shown at all. Hopefully other color schemes look a bit better. The Razor is very sexy in red and I do like the board graphics alot, I think they’re the best I’ve seen from OR.

Would definitely have preferred a jammer cleat depower system on the Freestyle bar, it is a much more compact and tidy solution IMO.

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

I like the graphics, but as someone once said “you can’t please all the people all the time”.

Thanks for posting the pics Evan.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

vpas - 20 September 2010 12:03 PM

I like the graphics, but as someone once said “you can’t please all the people all the time”.

Thanks for posting the pics Evan.

You’re welcome!

John Z are a case in point here - he’s a huge fan of the new Rise look, while I think the Razor looks bad ass. Three guesses as to which will each by riding, and the first two don’t count….....smile

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 97

Joined 2007-10-02

PM

As long as the kite is not pink, I could care less what it looks like. Performance, performance, performance!

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

Flying pics of the 2011 Rise…

Image Attachments

DSC_0054.jpg
DSC_0039.jpg
DSC_0079.jpg

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Today I had my first real session on the Razor…....let’s just say that my beloved Rise kites are for sale!

6m, high teens, maybe the odd gust over 20. 5’11 Surf. Normally I would have taken an 8 or 9m Rise but really wanted to try the 6 Razor. I’m stoked I did. Bullet points:

1) Way more low end than the Rise. Another rider was pumping his 11m Rise and took my eight and rocker it. A third tester said the eight pulled harder than his 10m Rise.

2) Super fast, on its own axis turning - this is a sick wave kite.

3)  Instant relaunch - easy the bar out, the kite pivots, pull a little and she’s up.

4) Unhooking - no comparison to the Rise - no backstall at all at full power (no trim required) and far more control and consistent position in the window.

Overall, the Rise of course has a larger wind range on account of the massive top end, but in every other department she gives it up to the Razor. Hands down I think’ll you struggle to find a comparable kite to the Razor on the market. smile

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2009-12-30

PM

Very nice stuff! I’m interested more in new Mako features, wood core (more flex?) combined with less weight (how much less for 150 wide?) seems great. I see (FINALLY!!!) holes for 3 fins on one side, very happy about this riding waves. I have a question: the 2 lateral fins are parallel (like I’ve seen in 2010 King) or slightly converge (like all surfboard)?

Joined 2009-07-24

PM

Finally, a definite opinion about the low end of the Razor, thank you thank you! And what a sweeeet low end it is purported to be. grin

EvanStolze - 21 September 2010 04:11 AM

Is it when you are riding down the line towards the kite that it rotates about it’s own axis? C-shapes are generally noted for turning about the wing tip, not about their own axis, so I am a little confused - can you clarify your meaning a bit?

Cheers

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2010-07-05

PM

I’m stoked about the colour of the 2011 Mako King…very nice! 

I can’t really tell if people are joking about liking the Razor graphics over the new Rise….they look like very similar designs so I can’t see how you’d love one and hate the other???  I liked the 2010 Rise design….clean, bright and easy to spot on the water.

Ultimately I care about performance so as long as the kite is a joy to fly and the graphic design isn’t seizure inducing I’m happy.

Signature

Safe riding,

Vik
http://www.thelazyrando.com

Joined 2010-09-18

PM

im thinking it all looks great and cant wait to get em
cool as, cool smile

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

silas - 21 September 2010 01:35 PM

Finally, a definite opinion about the low end of the Razor, thank you thank you! And what a sweeeet low end it is purported to be. grin

EvanStolze - 21 September 2010 04:11 AM

Is it when you are riding down the line towards the kite that it rotates about it’s own axis? C-shapes are generally noted for turning about the wing tip, not about their own axis, so I am a little confused - can you clarify your meaning a bit?

Cheers

Nope, sorry. I don’t get that technical. Remember, this an SLE kite with a pronounced C shape, not a C kite. The kite can be looped tight, hard and fast in its place with little pull, or put through a big, powered kite loop with associated consequences. smile

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

VikB - 21 September 2010 03:33 PM

I’m stoked about the colour of the 2011 Mako King…very nice! 

I can’t really tell if people are joking about liking the Razor graphics over the new Rise….they look like very similar designs so I can’t see how you’d love one and hate the other???  I liked the 2010 Rise design….clean, bright and easy to spot on the water.

Ultimately I care about performance so as long as the kite is a joy to fly and the graphic design isn’t seizure inducing I’m happy.

Roger that Vik, and if I wanted to discuss cosmetics I’d line up with the broads at the Macy’s counter. smile

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 574

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

if I wanted to discuss cosmetics I’d line up with the broads at the Macy’s counter. smile

Cheers,

Evan

LOL Priceless - says it all LOL

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2009-07-24

PM

EvanStolze - 21 September 2010 03:54 PM

The kite can be looped tight, hard and fast in its place with little pull, or put through a big, powered kite loop with associated consequences.

All the clarification I was looking for, thanks.

Joined 2010-09-18

PM

big powered kiteloop action
hmmm could be in for a real ass whiping
yeeehaaa happy days   shock

Joined 2009-12-30

PM

poldo - 21 September 2010 07:00 AM

I see (FINALLY!!!) holes for 3 fins on one side, very happy about this riding waves. I have a question: the 2 lateral fins are parallel (as in any TT and as I’ve seen in 2010 Mako King ) or slightly converge (like all surfboards)?

any info?

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Hi Poldo,
  The side fins on the mutant Makos are parallel to the center line , not toed in like on a surfboard. This allows the boards to be ridden tail first while still in mutant mode and when we tested the boards with the fins toed in we found that the boards were very hard to ride at high speed as the windward side fin was lifting the tail too much.

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

EvanStolze - 20 September 2010 08:12 PM

John Z and I are a case in point here - he’s a huge fan of the new Rise look, while I think the Razor looks bad ass. Three guesses as to which will each by riding, and the first two don’t count….....smile

Cheers,

Evan

Ha! I’ll be on Razors for sure this year - no question. 3/3 best sessions of my life have been the last 3 sessions on the Razor.

I thought the Crew would be interested in some of these images too. Please note all models of Rise, going back to 07 as well as the new Razor kites will fly perfectly well on both the new 2011 SLE Freestyle and 2011 Freeride bar set-ups

(click any image below to expand)

2011 SLE Freestyle Bar

2011 SLE Freeride Bar

2011 Rise Colour Options

(Note: The Orange in this image is meant to be the same orange we have used the last 3 years, bright / florescent orange. Photoshop does not have a good option to show this in a diagram though. This kite will be called The Corporate for this year, done in our company colours of Orange and grey!)

2011 Razor Colour Options

2011 Rise in flight - White drop out

2011 Rise in flight - No drop out

2011 Razor in flight - White drop out

2011 Razor in flight - No drop out

John Z - OR

Joined 2009-12-30

PM

Ross Harrington - 22 September 2010 03:30 PM

Hi Poldo,
  The side fins on the mutant Makos are parallel to the center line , not toed in like on a surfboard. This allows the boards to be ridden tail first while still in mutant mode and when we tested the boards with the fins toed in we found that the boards were very hard to ride at high speed as the windward side fin was lifting the tail too much.

Hi Ross. thanks very much for the reply and the explication. Looking forward to test the new Mako’s here in Mediterranean, I expect even better ride than the very good 2009/2010 boards

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2010-05-16

PM

windjunky - 20 September 2010 08:28 PM

As long as the kite is not pink, I could care less what it looks like. Performance, performance, performance!

Yup, yep and yer right! It’s how they fly that matters.
The OR graphics have looked about the same since 2007.
Not the best in the business (Wainman Boss and Smoke) but far from some of the horrible stuff (new North) out there.
Some of the companies change so much every year that they don’t even look like the same company, year to year.
Ocean Rodeo (like Slingshot), at least, keeps an identity consistently.
So, now we can go to the Kite Forum thread and look at all the pics of the best and the worst kite graphics!

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2007-09-24

PM

Loving all this new info - definitely gonna add the Razor to the quiver this year, but keeping the rise (8,12) just in case the gusts are too terrible.  I still haven’t decided on sizes but probably 6, 8, 10 (maybe just 6, 10? depends if my wife finds out about the plans…) and will be my go to for kite trips and the occasional steady wind day here on the prairies (but will try it in gnarly gusts and let you know how I fare!)  I haven’t decided on bar type either.  Does the mini-5th depower to both front lines via the attachment point just above the bar or is there a 5th going to the kite?  How much pull is there when the kite is released on it?  I really love 4 line simplicity, and have rolled a kite in the surf enough to know I really don’t want a true 5th kite tangle.  The pictures helped - I’m OK with the shorter throw, just need clarification on the 5th bit.

Thanks a lot!
Ryan

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

I’m loving the way the new Rise graphics look in the air. Was there any inspiration going on from these guys?

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

Woody71 - 17 September 2010 09:51 PM
windjunky - 17 September 2010 07:58 PM

Yeah I’d like that flag system as well on my 2010’s :0)

bump!

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2007-11-08

PM

Hey Kirk, what flag system are you talking about? I am looking for one. Meaning a way to be able to quickly completely depower the kite on 1 line.

I was caught into a 55 knots gust early this year, and released before depowering. I could not reach the release ring anymore, so I ended it losing my kite after my leash snapped.
Thanks,
Bruno

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

brunoperez - 26 September 2010 03:14 PM

Hey Kirk, what flag system are you talking about? I am looking for one. Meaning a way to be able to quickly completely depower the kite on 1 line.

I was caught into a 55 knots gust early this year, and released before depowering. I could not reach the release ring anymore, so I ended it losing my kite after my leash snapped.
Thanks,
Bruno

Hi Bruno,
I have a mini fifth line system on my Core GT kite. Mini fifth lines usually use a front line that is single near the bar and then splits to a standard front line/bridle further up. Such a system has a safety line that goes through the bar and up the front line about 20 feet, right around where the front line splits to two lines. When you activate the safety release, your leash pulls the safety line through the bar, pulling on the front bridle. The kite then falls from the sky and lands on the water leading edge facing you and lies flat.

I have tried my Core bar also on a 2007 Waroo and it also fully depowers. I have had my Waroo on the mini fifth line when a squall hit. In that case, the kite depowered completely and hovered above the water with little pull.

kind regards
Kirk

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2009-02-20

PM

Was there any inspiration going on from these guys?

I had a similar thought.  I was thinking the new rise wingtips looked like bird wings.

Joined 2007-11-08

PM

Thanks Kirk, did you buy it or made it yourself?

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

brunoperez - 27 September 2010 02:01 PM

Thanks Kirk, did you buy it or made it yourself?

It is a standard stock Core ESP bar.
http://www.corekiteboarding.com

Have a look. I am still experimenting with line lengths to get it to fly reliably with the Rise. My plan actually was to buy a Razor bar for the Rise and leave the Core bar dedicated to my Core GT kite.

regards
Kirk

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Joined 2007-11-08

PM

Actually i just found that OR is coming up with a new bar that will include a complete kill depower in 2011. Check this
http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2359867&sid=be441b532dc41df53ca8d84e84662651&p=669473#p669473
excerpt:
For 2011 all Ocean Rodeo kites will offer complete depower when ejected to the safety system and will not require, or lead to, total releases and situations described above. All existing customers riding 2009 or 2010 Rise kites will have the option to upgrade their kite and their bar and line systems from those years to easily accommodate this change in design. Similarly, customers buying 2011 kites who wish to use bars from earlier years will easily be able to upgrade their existing bar set-up.
John Zimmerman, OR

that is great news!

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

A drawing or picture of the new safety mod. would sure be appreciated ... I’m intrigued ... Thanks

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…