Mold stains on kites

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2008-02-15

PM

Anyone know how to remove mold stains from kites?

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-09-04

PM

use them more

Signature

I love to Kiteboard

Joined 2008-02-15

PM

:p , not the problem, kited in fresh water, and forgot to dry them completely.

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2007-09-15

PM

You in the uk? The only thingni can think of is something like toilet duck mould and mildew remover BUT it’s got bleach in it which could/will shag the colours and could rot the material if you don’t washbut off. If in the uk you could try Brewers fungicidal wash which will kill the roots of the mould but not sure if it will remove the stains. The issue is always gonna be how the product affects the material.

Tough one mate. Start off with mild soapy water?

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, better than a warm soapy tit wank.

Joined 2008-02-15

PM

Thanks,
Got some Iosso mold and mildew stain remover for fabrics, Says you can use it on tents, then some KGB Swag kitelife protectant for after the treatment ordered. Will let everyone know how it goes when It comes in.

Total Posts: 315

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

Mr. Clean Magic eraser Cleans everything and I didn’t see any negative reaction to the kite material.

Jas

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Joined 2008-02-15

PM

I tried the ISSO mold and mildew remover, and it did not work, maybe faded a little, Used the KGB Swag to keep a mold protectant on the kite, due to the fact I kite the most in fresh water.

Hey thomascarl, what medicines worked, I would be intrested to know. I still want the stains removed but I want to keep the waterproofing on the kite.

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Guys,

General rule of thumb is to not expose your kite to anything you would not want on your skin. The materials will rot or be weakened by many industrial strength solvents.

None of us here at OR have experience in removing mold from kites but Richard did suggest that this might help. McNett makes a variety of Drysuit related maintenance products including one called MiraZyme. This product supposedly uses enzymes to eat away odor causing bacteria and growth on the inside of drysuits and it is possible that it might have the same effect on mold. Just a shot in the dark.

John Z