Water collecting behind the knee of my Pyro Pro
Posted: 26 September 2010 01:21 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-09-11

Hi Guys,

I purchased a Pyro Pro at the begining of this season and I noticed water collecting behind the knee. It’s not inside the suit but seems like it is inbetween the inner and outer layers of the suit.
When I get out of the water I can feel the weight of it. If I squeeze it the water drains out.
Has this happened to anybody else? Cause? How to fix?

Thanks,

Mark

Posted: 30 September 2010 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2009-06-01

I don’t think this is good.
Never happend to mine Pyro Pro and that one is about 5 years old.

Posted: 30 September 2010 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-09-15

This happens to mine as well, and two other guys on the beach with them. Any ideas OR?

Phil.

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo, better than a warm soapy tit wank.

Posted: 30 September 2010 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-15

you sure? Doesn’t seem to affect the suit at all, its just between the two layers at the knee. Mine was doing it within a month of owning the suit, but its never got worse…..

Signature 

Posted: 01 October 2010 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1246
Joined  2006-01-10

Hey guys,

The new Pyro Pros have an additional over lay on the knees and bum to add extra durability, this was an intentional upgrade done at the same time we switched up to breathable material. The overlays themselves are not water proof, all they do is add durability. The 1st production run of these suits have seen some suits that are more susceptible than others to this water ingress than others and as a result we a) did not notice this issue ourselves when testing and b) realistically only have a couple “problem” suits that should be addressed.

How to address? As with all subsequent production runs of suits that we are now selling the easiest solution is to introduce a small drain on the knees to allow this water to flow out. Again, this is only for those suits affected by large amounts of water ingress. Simply separate the 2 layers of suit material in the panel in question and use a soldering iron or hot knife tip to melt a small hole at each corner of the overlay. This will solve your problem instantly.

For all other riders with suits that are allowing only small amounts of water into the knee overlay I would suggest simply not doing anything at all. The overlay material will break down a bit over time and become more porous, allowing the water to flush through naturally.

All suits now being sold from more recent POs have these drains already in place.

John Z

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 02 October 2010 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-15

Thanks JZ,

I’ll get my soldering iron out and have a couple of whiskies to calm my hand down before I attempt it :0)

Glad there’s a simple reason, I had toted with putting holes in but wasn’t sure if you would approve :0)

Ta

Phil

Signature 

Posted: 02 October 2010 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-09-11

Thank’s for the input guys. I’ll have a look at the suit tonight and see what I can do.

Posted: 05 November 2010 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  520
Joined  2008-04-13

I did mine, tricky not to pierce both layers but it can be done. It absolutely works, I made two Ø3mm holes per knee and that’s enough.
thanks John!

Posted: 24 December 2010 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-06-23

I love how this is your answer to a problem with your suits.  If I mess it up, will you get me a new suit?

johnz - 01 October 2010 06:34 PM

Simply separate the 2 layers of suit material in the panel in question and use a soldering iron or hot knife tip to melt a small hole at each corner of the overlay. This will solve your problem instantly.

Posted: 20 January 2011 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-15
jermypro - 24 December 2010 06:12 PM

I love how this is your answer to a problem with your suits.  If I mess it up, will you get me a new suit?

johnz - 01 October 2010 06:34 PM

Simply separate the 2 layers of suit material in the panel in question and use a soldering iron or hot knife tip to melt a small hole at each corner of the overlay. This will solve your problem instantly.

Best bet its to do it wet, that way the water is separating the layers so you’ll know you’ve got the right panel plus the water will cool down the tip before it gets to the second level!

Signature 

Posted: 17 April 2012 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  295
Joined  2008-04-20
El Rudo - 05 November 2010 10:01 PM

I did mine, tricky not to pierce both layers but it can be done. It absolutely works, I made two Ø3mm holes per knee and that’s enough.
thanks John!

3mm? .. 2x each side?..  are you so often in the water that you need big drainingholes? ... better take lessons.. wink
just kidding, sorry.. 3mm looks fine.. depends on the tool you use.

Arjan